Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

56 minutes ago, LRS said:

Maybe someone living in Japan can confirm but I've heard the Japanese aren't really doing social distancing. If true, that could bite them eventually. Lots of old ppl in japan.

I can't say about the other 6 prefectures with the emergency declaration, but Osaka Prefecture is not business as usual.  Aside from the latest addition to the restrictions (see my post just before this one), a lot of companies are either getting their employees to work from home, or just telling them to stay at home.

So, if social distancing means "stay at home, don't go out unless you really need to", then yes, it's happening.  If it means strict rules to "keep 2 m/6 ft away from people)", then no, it's not happening.

Edited by sketchley

30 minutes ago, sketchley said:

It will be interesting to see after this all shakes out of the Japanese method has more/less transmission than the US's arguably unconstitutional measures (this is more of a state by state thing). 

Thank you all for the updates. I am not quite sure this is the right place to ask but i would be interested to know what kind of restrictions your country (or state if you live in the US or provence if you live in Canada) has put up during the last few weeks to fight the virus. I have the impression that Italy has adopted the strictest rules after China. I can't take a walk, i can't jogg, i can barely take my dog out to pee but i have to stay as close as possible to where i live... Although i totally agree with social distancing and the closing for most of the business i feel that some of the rules they decided here not only are completely useless but they actually might help you to get infected(no conspiracy theory here, just the stupidity of our goverment), not to mention the fact they are against every human/civil right there should be in the western world. Thanks to all the people who will be willing to share their experience.   

Even for my county (Singapore) we recently were ordered by the government to shut down non essential services and all work from home since 7th april. But our infection rate has gone up in the recent days due to some cluster at a foreign worker dormitaries.

Updated list of "Mailing Suspensions" as of yesterday from Manda.

Read the entire list before doing any purchases: EMS (although delayed) and DHL are still go ahead, SAL is out of the question!! 

https://earth.mandarake.co.jp/help/shipping_suspensions.html

Edit: I'm still going to post on the "Deals Thread" on Manda, Amiami and Jungle when I see good grabs. If you want them and don't mind the delay in shipping via EMS, then go ahead and hopefully that it goes through.

Edited by borgified

3 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

crap i totally forgot i had the DX chogokin suiper/strike pack coming to me. .....it shipped under "registered airmail" from Big in Japan.  am i screwed?

It depends on where you live. If it's AIR/International Parcel or AIR/Registered Small Package (sounds like it), and Japan Post is still supporting Air Mail for your country, you're probably okay. I did a quick check on Tenso (https://www.tenso.com/en/estimate) for the United States, just to see what they can do right now for a theoretical 0.5kg package:

image.png.f90c9c9cb50233b2c1b73d95ff3ae90c.png

On 4/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, jenius said:

If you have low infection rates and the ability to test, the preferred method of isolating the bug is to find someone who is infected and then find everyone else they've interacted with and do local quarantines on the at-risk population. Maybe Japan feels like they're in that category at the moment. We should start seeing a transition to a similar model in the US in the not-so-distant future. By May 1, we will have been socially distancing in most areas long enough to have tamped out most the sparks. Lots of measures will be left in place to limit big crowds because, if you found out one of the remaining sparks did something like going to San Diego Comic-Con, that would be really bad. 

I dont see the State of Washington at least, returning to work or letting up social distancing by May 1st. I'm betting on further extensions. Things are not improving in the hospitals. All caregivers have to be masked at all times now due to the high number of asymptomatic carriers taking out staff which isnt helping the critical shortages. If they do return to work theres going to be another flare that will reinstitute work from home. 

Of course I hope I'm completely wrong but that's my belief. Healthcare system here has been irrevocably changed. The emphasis will be on virtual visits now. Restructuring departments and layoffs will eventually happen. 

Hopefully japan isnt hit badly after all of this. 

Edited by LRS

Any idea how okini is handling shipping. I'm not seeing anything in their site about covid shipping affecting their policy.

What is carrier small packet? Is that EMS?

Edited by LRS

2 hours ago, LRS said:

Any idea how okini is handling shipping. I'm not seeing anything in their site about covid shipping affecting their policy.

What is carrier small packet? Is that EMS?

I would just reach out to them.  They are extremely responsive.

From CdJapan :unsure:

Update April.16, 2020 : Additionally Suspended Countries / Regions

North America

Suspended Areas

[EMS]

New York International Service Center
First 3 digits of zip code: 006-089, 100-399

San Francisco International Service Center
First 3 digits of zip code: 590-599, 820-838, 936-966, 970-999.

[Airmail]

New York International Service Center
Zip codes starting with 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Chicago International Service Center
Zip codes starting with 4, 5, or 6.

San Francisco International Service Center
Zip codes starting with 7, 8, or 936-966, 970-999

Operating, Yet Delayed Areas

[EMS]

Chicago International Service Center
First 3 digits of zip code: 400-588, 600-693, 700-799

Los Angeles International Service Center
First 3 digits of zip code: 800-819, 840-935

[Airmail]

Los Angeles International Service Center
First 3 digits of zip code: 900-935

Philippines

Suspended Areas

[EMS and Airmail]
Luzon Island including metro Manila.

Other Areas

Lao, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna

Update April.16, 2020: COVID-19 Related FAQ

My order can not be shipped out due to temporarily suspension. What will happen to my order?

Don't worry, your products are safe with us. We will keep all products for an unlimited period of time. Your first press or external bonus status, if any, will also be secured during this time. This goes the same for products expected to release later on this year.

My tracking information does not update in Japan. What is happening?

Currently we are seeing many tracking information stopped at the following state.

Posting / Collection at Shizuoka or Aichi prefecture

Japan post announced that due to the reduced amount of flights, it is estimated to take more than two weeks to assign a plane to carry the packages they accepted. Therefore your package is likely to be waiting for a flight. Even for EMS there could be no updates on tracking info for two weeks and for Airmail/SAL it could go up to a month with no update.

We will try our best to keep this page updated and therefore we humbly ask for your patience with the update.

Go to next question if your tracking information updates to "Returned to Sender".

My order was returned to sender without even arriving to my country. Why? Will you contact me?

Japan post is currently returning packages accepted in March, but couldn't be shipped out from Japan because of the temporary suspension.

Do not worry that your package may be left sitting in our office. We will contact all customers suggesting an alternative shipping method if any.

It may take time for us to mail you as we are receiving hundreds of packages back. Note that until you receive a mail from us, it means that we have not gotten to your package yet. We are trying our best to offer what we can at the moment, and greatly appreciate your patience during this time.

My shipping method is currently suspended and I want to change my shipping method to an available one.

• Credit Card/Debit Card
    If you are using credit / debit card email us: info@cdjapan.co.jp

• Paypal
    We can not charge only the differential. So we will process a full refund for the original transaction and will make a money request for the new order total. If you approve this process, email our customer support for a shipping method change: info@cdjapan.co.jp

Note that depending on the state of your item, order, or credit card payment, we may not be able to change your shipping method.

I've got Strike/Super Packs on preorder.  Not sure when I'll ever get them.  I really like to order some things from Japan but nothing seems the reliable right now.  Going to just have to wait for things to stabilize.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks like my HLJ and CDJapan packages both got returned to sender today. For HLJ at least they should be able to let it sit in private warehouse. Not sure what I'll do with the CDJapan order.

From cdjapans FAQ,

Do not worry that your package may be left sitting in our office. We will contact all customers suggesting an alternative shipping method if any. Don't worry, your products are safe with us. We will keep all products for an unlimited period of time. Your first press or external bonus status, if any, will also be secured during this time. This goes the same for products expected to release later on this year.

Depending on how long this lasts someone who was based in Japan and had a partner in the US could probably do alright offering a service to get stuff out of Japan. Something like ship a bog box/crate out of Japan once a week by DHL or something into the US. Then disperse the packages once in the US. 

I'm not volunteering. ;)

An update from NY...I noticed one of my items is about to release and I had SAL for the shipping so I sent them a note about what I should do. They responded in less than one day and the basics are that they can hold the item until they are able to ship with SAL or I can choose another currently available method and pay the difference. Will see how it goes and I might choose something else this time just because I have no idea when SAL will be available again.

Edited by Slave IV

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

An update from NY...I noticed one of my items is about to release and I had SAL for the shipping so I sent them a note about what I should do. They responded in less than one day and the basics are that they can hold the item until they are able to ship with SAL or I can choose another currently available method and pay the difference. Will see how it goes and I might choose something else this time just because I have no idea when SAL will be available again.

are you going to do  Ferry (boat)?

Just now, F360 said:

are you going to do  Ferry (boat)?

I usually do and my other upcoming orders with them are all ferry but I think this is one of the cases where ferry doesn't make sense because it's a single, smaller item. They gave me the price options for EMS or regular Air and said I can just sit back and wait or let them know if I decide to change shipping method. It was only an additional 1190 or 1410 yen depending on which method I wanted

21 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I usually do and my other upcoming orders with them are all ferry but I think this is one of the cases where ferry doesn't make sense because it's a single, smaller item. They gave me the price options for EMS or regular Air and said I can just sit back and wait or let them know if I decide to change shipping method. It was only an additional 1190 or 1410 yen depending on which method I wanted

yeah for a small item ferry is not that safe.  I hope japan post can work sometime out with USPS, so they can maybe charter a FedEx .DHL, flight once a week or use some of their available cargo space or  something to clear Japans outbound

Another question to ask here.

Who has received or yet to receive their order by using EMS? I don't mind the three week (or longer) wait for shipping from Amiami via EMS on a pre-owned item (not paid yet as it's due on the 30th).      

I have not read that surface/ferry post is affected this this thread. It is correct?

I have just shipped items from FJ via surface small packet and surface. I hope this will not be blocked or returned to sender.

For those people that have parcel returned to sender, did they get refund of their paid postage?

1 hour ago, sumyumgoy said:

I received an EMS package last week that was shipped on April 2 and arrived April 16.  But I also have another EMS package that shipped April 4 and is still in Japan.

Thank you @sumyumgoy for the info, I figured there would be a delay. I have a package that shipped on the 17th and it still in Japan.

Edited by Saburo

5 minutes ago, kkx said:

I have not read that surface/ferry post is affected this this thread. It is correct?

I have just shipped items from FJ via surface small packet and surface. I hope this will not be blocked or returned to sender.

For those people that have parcel returned to sender, did they get refund of their paid postage?

I haven't heard anything about surface either. Returned packages are generally being held by companies with the expectation that they'll try mailing it again.... some day. I imagine these places have essentially cleared out a room at the business and are just throwing all the returned boxes in there for now.