Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Yeah.  I don't like over-zealous tampo, but Bandai's gonna Bandai.

I do like the "blue" of this DX on the pics.

Nevertheless, I think I found where Yamato got the Purple on their 1/72 YF-21v2...

snap-purple-yf21-ova.png.503f8163bc0fa6927a37fbab0ee6f96c.png

It's around the 00:09:02 timestamp of OVA ep-1 of the BD.

Wonder what that particular ordnance they're installing/removing.  It was never included in the Yamato 1/60.  Maybe @Seto knows...

Edited by treatment

I'm only an amateur builder myself and while I think the Bandai DX is overkill on the tampo, it does have all the markings that I think every aircraft should have (ejection seat, intakes, jack points, etc) so I'm going to leave mine as is. It'll at least match the DX 19 in obnoxious markings. :rolleyes:

Now if Arcadia could give us a PF V2 21...

20 hours ago, treatment said:

Yeah.  I don't like over-zealous tampo, but Bandai's gonna Bandai.

I do like the "blue" of this DX on the pics.

Nevertheless, I think I found where Yamato got the Purple on their 1/72 YF-21v2...

snap-purple-yf21-ova.png.503f8163bc0fa6927a37fbab0ee6f96c.png

It's around the 00:09:02 timestamp of OVA ep-1 of the BD.

Wonder what that particular ordnance they're installing/removing.  It was never included in the Yamato 1/60.  Maybe @Seto knows...

Maybe a camera pod

Wow, step away for Christmas for a few days and all this happens!!!  Looks pretty darn good in the photos now!  So this WWM release means I can order it off the Amazon.com Tamashii store site a week after Jan 10th PO in Japan and not have to fight the madness?  I've never done this before - its seems almost too good to be true?!  So it WILL go on pre-order on Amazon.com Tamashii store site a week later? 

2 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Wow, step away for Christmas for a few days and all this happens!!!  Looks pretty darn good in the photos now!  So this WWM release means I can order it off the Amazon.com Tamashii store site a week after Jan 10th PO in Japan and not have to fight the madness?  I've never done this before - its seems almost too good to be true?!  So it WILL go on pre-order on Amazon.com Tamashii store site a week later? 

Yes, but expect a significant mark up. I'm expecting it to list domestically for around $359.99 before tax. 

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

23 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Yes, but expect a significant mark up. I'm expecting it to list domestically for around $359.99 before tax. 

The price of convenience....

$100 mark up?!?!  Wow, that's a lot.  But do you think that would include shipping?  I can easily pay $60cdn for shipping and $40 for customs and duties (I'm in Canada :(

I think I paid around $380cdn for the last VF-31AX shipped and customs charges all in (we get pretty hosed up here!)

As long as I'm guaranteed to get one from WWM Amazon.com I think I'll pay the markup since I have a Amazon.com Gift card I should use up that's not transferable to Amazon.ca.

7 hours ago, wm cheng said:

$100 mark up?!?!  Wow, that's a lot.  But do you think that would include shipping?  I can easily pay $60cdn for shipping and $40 for customs and duties (I'm in Canada :(

I think I paid around $380cdn for the last VF-31AX shipped and customs charges all in (we get pretty hosed up here!)

As long as I'm guaranteed to get one from WWM Amazon.com I think I'll pay the markup since I have a Amazon.com Gift card I should use up that's not transferable to Amazon.ca.

WWM releases, across all product lines, seem to have at least a 55% markup on Japan MSRP, so that would be ¥54,250 or roughly $385 US at the current exchange rate, which is right in line with @Lolicon's estimate. We're all hoping that Bandai doesn't go that high for this release, given how expensive it already is, but it's Bandai, so they probably will. Shipping from a US retailer to Canada will probably cost you a bit more since US retailers offering free shipping are doing so domestically. Based on my limited experience, USPS package shipping to Canada is not cheap...or particularly fast.

Shipping to Canada from U.S. retailers is typically expensive. Amazon Canada sells WWM figures with free shipping and there is also Ages Three And Up who also have free shipping for items that expensive. Although there may be a limit on weight or package size. 

The markup for both retailers will be high so the best bet is still most likely ordering direct from Japan if possible. But as we all know that can be difficult and to get the best price usually involves paying up front. Takara has me tapped out with a gazillion figures coming out in Q1 so I will most likely end up buying from Amazon.ca or A3U and paying the higher amount so I will have the option of paying in June. 

What I normally do is try my best to figure out the total shipped price from Japan, the U.S. and Canada and then order from the cheapest source. Unfortunately Japanese stores often don’t tell you the exact shipping cost up front so you may need to take a best guess. 

43 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

I know, I guess I was hoping for a slightly more legitimate reason rather than greed. 

Cause this isnt even a slight jump...

If you compare the exchange rate of 25000 JPY in 2018 to 35000 JPY today...the difference is about 20 USD, hopefully the exchange rate continues to be favorable for everyone except the Japanese until release day...LOL

Everything just costs more to make and move days...we are just lucky that the Japanese currency is not doing that great at the moment so the MSRP doesn't sting that bad...

https://www.exchange-rates.org/exchange-rate-history/jpy-usd-2018-12-31

13 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

If you compare the exchange rate of 25000 JPY in 2018 to 35000 JPY today...the difference is about 20 USD, hopefully the exchange rate continues to be favorable for everyone except the Japanese until release day...LOL

Everything just costs more to make and move days...we are just lucky that the Japanese currency is not doing that great at the moment so the MSRP doesn't sting that bad...

https://www.exchange-rates.org/exchange-rate-history/jpy-usd-2018-12-31

I appreciate that, but I am not comparing 25,000 JPY from 2018 I am comparing the YF-19 DEC 2023 release at 25,000 JPY to a YF-21 2024 Release at 35,000 JPY.

4 hours ago, AlphaOne said:

I wonder if the reason for the difference in pricing between the YF-19 reissue and the YF-21 is the costs of making a new mold/design/engineering.  Whereas the YF-19 is a reissue from a prior mold.

Yes. And aside from inflation, higher material and production costs factors as well. A naked YF-19 reissue (Y24000) is almost the same price as the Full Set release (Y25000). 

I have a feeling that if they reissued the Full Set instead, and based on today’s naked reissue pricing, they might charge the Full Set between Y28000 to Y32000. If that’s the case, would that justify now their YF-21 asking price (Y35000)?

On 12/31/2023 at 9:03 AM, MKT said:

If its any consolation, there will always be a store or other in US that will offer some substantial discounts along the way for WWM items.

What on earth do you speak of? Unless this becomes a total bomb and shelf warmer, I don't see discounts coming down the line for this.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

What on earth do you speak of? Unless this becomes a total bomb and shelf warmer, I don't see discounts coming down the line for this.

I should have clarified, what I meant wasn't discounts due to shelf warming like some of the other WWM items. It's just from observation that US stores sometimes throw out a voucher or two randomly before or after release. 

For eg, someone posted in the YF-19 tread that USA Gundam store had a 20% coupon specific for Macross items, and it worked for both the yet to be released YF-19 & VF-171 Alto. If not mistaken, I think I saw this sort of coupon or discounts at other stores too on older WWM items, and they appear independently whether or not the items were doing well.  

Edited by MKT

I think every DX WWM valk that's been on Amazon US has been discounted/on sale at one point or another, and some by a lot. That includes all of the 25s, Hayate's 31AX, and Max's 29. The 19 is still in preorder status on Amazon, yet it's already been discounted by $30+. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it goes under $200 on a sale at some point after it's released. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 21 get discounted on Amazon at one point or another both in preorder status and also after release, and actually I expect it.

4 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

Okay, they gave us a swappable seat, but not a cover for the inside of the cockpit for battroid mode. Fun. I mean, if they want to they can do it with how the cockpit is designed.

I'm surprised they didn't include some sort of little swing over heatshield cover on the inside of the cockpit given that they like doing little gimmicks like that. 

Also, it's clear they were trying to duplicate this

canopydetail.JPG.38afb4cd9ae858121c2730353d5ac43e.JPG

but they somehow really interpreted the canopy shape wrong and made it way rounded off. In the illustration, you can still see that the canopy should still end up having two points to match the frame.

canopy.png.869b9aeaefe4204eb85276aa7a50f8c9.png

The Hasegawa model also has that highlighted detail, but the canopy shape is correct there. This annoys me that this got past everyone involved in designing this toy despite going to the lengths of looking at illustrations like the above...

39 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I'm surprised they didn't include some sort of little swing over heatshield cover on the inside of the cockpit given that they like doing little gimmicks like that. 

Also, it's clear they were trying to duplicate this

canopydetail.JPG.38afb4cd9ae858121c2730353d5ac43e.JPG

but they somehow really interpreted the canopy shape wrong and made it way rounded off. In the illustration, you can still see that the canopy should still end up having two points to match the frame.

canopy.png.869b9aeaefe4204eb85276aa7a50f8c9.png

The Hasegawa model also has that highlighted detail, but the canopy shape is correct there. This annoys me that this got past everyone involved in designing this toy despite going to the lengths of looking at illustrations like the above...

ya it's gonna bug me, i'll probably end up painting it.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I will start another macross plus watch after securing a pre order to keep me interested so i dont cancel. 

David, don't. Because you'll start noticing how different Bandai's toy is to the OAV that you might end up cancelling your preorder. :spiteful:

:lol:

7 hours ago, Zeliard said:

Sorry I don't understand. If it's not a Tamashi exclusive, and can be made available for worldwide release, why is there a marked up price, and not 35 as stipulated?

This has been discussed, and speculated about, extensively in other threads. The ¥35,000 price is for the Japanese domestic market. Bandai is free to charge overseas customers more for WWM items when purchased through an overseas retailer, and they do. No one is sure why, but three popular theories are: (1) more profit from collectors willing to pay, (2) to cover the additional financial risk of producing more toys than the domestic market needs, (3) to compensate for a weak Yen exchange rate. Overseas retailers pass the higher prices onto us, which is why you see consistently high prices for WWM items at every single overseas retailer. They aren't setting the high prices--Bandai is (or at the very least, their distributors). There will be some variation due to promotional discounts, coupons, free shipping, etc., but to my knowledge we've yet to see overseas retailers offering Japan domestic market prices for WWM items. They'd lose money. It sounds like Bandai does this for Gundam, too, and probably other franchises. Other companies like Goodsmile don't mark up their prices for overseas customers as much, if at all.

9 hours ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

I think every DX WWM valk that's been on Amazon US has been discounted/on sale at one point or another, and some by a lot. That includes all of the 25s, Hayate's 31AX, and Max's 29. The 19 is still in preorder status on Amazon, yet it's already been discounted by $30+. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it goes under $200 on a sale at some point after it's released. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 21 get discounted on Amazon at one point or another both in preorder status and also after release, and actually I expect it.

Should I risk not pre-ordering then.... hmmmmm🤔

Edited by IIymij