Jump to content

The Mandalorian - Star Wars webseries from Jon Favreau


SMS007
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, technoblue said:

What an odd thing to criticize. I mean, Boba isn’t on the poster either. Neither is Cobb Vanth from the first arc, the Mythrol, nor Mayfeld. Is there a written rule that every Star Wars poster needs to illustrate every character?

Only if it fits into the narrative or anti-narrative du jour.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2021 at 11:21 AM, Dynaman said:

Only if it fits into the narrative or anti-narrative du jour.  

I guess I'm not one to let little things like this get my heckles up nowadays. I appreciated both Gina Carano's and Rosario Dawson's performance in the Mandalorian. 

I also appreciated Ashley Ekstein's performance as the voice of animated Ahsoka, and I don't see Disney deciding to go with someone else for these live-action scenes as a slight on her work. For me, it's more important that we still have Star Wars shows that are able to capture the magic of the original trilogy. I was an undergrad when the prequel trilogy hit the cinema. Perhaps I did my Star Wars grieving back then? Eh, I don't really need to revisit those thoughts on the low bar sequel movies or the youtube conspiracies, as entertaining as they can be at times—for me it ends up being distracting and nonsensical.

Edited by technoblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Gina's performance, she's still a bit stiff but that's to be expected, she's not a "traditional" actor, she's a UFC star turned action star, those people are never and never will be great actors. I wouldn't be bothered much if Disney canned her, she said some stupid crap about a virus that has killed over 300,000 Americans, she's very popular now and has a platform that reaches quite a lot of people, being in the spotlight, common sense would dictate not saying dumb crap about something so serious, if Disney wants to distance her from their very, very popular IP, so be it. 

I'm glad the hubub around Rosario was mostly dropped, only the most cringy and whiny sites still bother to bring up her dropped accusations, which as I said, were dropped. She did great as Ahsoka, and I'm very interested to see her future as the character. Honestly? I'm ready for Book of Boba, I read all of the, mostly crappy, expanded universe stuff around Boba because I really liked the character and felt he was done dirty in RotJ, getting a canon revival of the character has me giddy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. Disney is within its right if Gina stepped outside any predetermined rules while under contract. I don't see an issue with them letting her go either, but if they are feeling James Gunn gracious again, then I also don't see an issue if they keep her on in the role and just tell her to stop the nonsense tweets.

I just wanted to stress that I can still appreciate what she's done, the ignorance about medical science and the global health emergency aside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I don't see an issue with them letting her go either, but if they are feeling James Gunn gracious again, then I also don't see an issue if they keep her on in the role and just tell her to stop the nonsense tweets.

Yeah I could go either way too, I'd understand if they dropped or kept her, she was pretty solid in the role, came off like a badass, but like most people these days, she's really not doing herself any favors with the idiotic tweeting. 

I felt in the Bill Burr episode of season 2 she kind of had a thing with Bill Burr's character, I figured we'd get an announcement of a New Republic series starring her and Bill, which I'd definitely watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, EastwindS2k said:

I like the season 2. I wish the storm troopers were stronger and more threatening in the show :)

Thats just not possible as long as they want to keep the little guys/outnumbered rebels vs the mighty Empire theme. There will always be 10x or 100x more stormtroopers than the heroes so no way they be allowed to be half-competent.

 

Thats actually a big beef I have with the 3 sequels. Keeping the guerilla rebel vs Big Empire theme. The Empire was broken, the New Republic should be outgunning them (I mean, you also had Battle of Jakku in the background) but nooo, its still a couple of X-Wings going for that built in weak kaboom-point on that ever bigger planet sized superweapon.

Its like if I wanted to make a 1946 movie about Imperial Japanese remnants and the defeated Imperial Japanese Navy has a new 500k ton Ultra Yamato escorted by 10 Nuclear Carriers while the United States due to de-mobilisation has to fight off that lot with the only available 1 Squadron of Corsairs and a privateer in his fishing trawler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, for some reason the New Republic had their entire fleet circling one planet... It's one of those written-in weaknesses, such as making the armed forces of the good guys tactical idiots. :pardon:Also makes it easier for the good guys to be 'underdogs.'

Even in that case through, there should have been some New Republic Fleet survivors, pickets at other systems and patrolling ships, that escaped the First Order's attack on Hosnian. But if you were going to redo A New Hope as The Force Awakens then you can't have that.:p

Edited by Thom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The latest trilogy:

Tried too hard copying the original trilogy. 

Tried too hard trying to be different than the original trilogy.

It all came out looking lazy..

Now back to our regular Mando thread..

I fully expect Bill Burr to come back, at least once. And we all know that technically our mando hero is now THE Mandalore. There's gonna be a whole kerfuffle over that..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

 And we all know that technically our mando hero is now THE Mandalore. There's gonna be a whole kerfuffle over that..

Probably thrown into the mix next season will be other Mandalorians challenging him. They're going to have to kill him if they want a claim to the throne. This is the way....it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, azrael said:

They're going to have to kill him if they want a claim to the throne. This is the way....it works.

Why would they need to kill Din?  If that is the case....we know Moff Gideon was not killed by Din when he defeated him and took possession of the Dark Saber...does that mean he is not the legit Mandalore?  There are apparently many "Ways"....and didn't Sabine just give it away?....I'm sure we will eventually get the full "rules" at some point....but if it involves killing the last holder of the saber to rightfully be the new owner, then that was not done when Din took it from Moff Gideon....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally, we’ve seen claims and challenges to possession of the Dark Saber occur over one-on-one combat.

Defeat of your opponent (not necessarily resulting death) is generally enough to validate one’s claim.

Sabine actually defeated someone who challenged her claim to the Dark Saber, and let the dude live (what he did afterwards was his own damn fault).

Of course, one red-faced dude decided in another case to go full Highlander and chop off his opponent’s head.

And if we start hearing about how Mandos can’t fight on ground they deem holy, or if neutral observers must be present to watch a challenge, all while we hear Queen-like rock riffs, then I’m calling copyright infringement. :p

 

Edited by Mog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Why would they need to kill Din?  If that is the case....we know Moff Gideon was not killed by Din when he defeated him and took possession of the Dark Saber...does that mean he is not the legit Mandalore?  There are apparently many "Ways"....and didn't Sabine just give it away?....I'm sure we will eventually get the full "rules" at some point....but if it involves killing the last holder of the saber to rightfully be the new owner, then that was not done when Din took it from Moff Gideon....

He can be spared, but being that doesn't nullify any future claim to the throne (even if he doesn't want it). In a trial-by-combat situation, to ensure any future claims are nullified, killing your opponent is preferable, but not required. True, the loser is disgraced but that doesn't stop them from coming back. Gideon isn't Mandalorian so exceptions could be made there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mog said:

And if we start hearing about how Mandos can’t fight on ground they deem holy, or if neutral observers must be present to watch a challenge, all while we hear Queen-like rock riffs, then I’m calling copyright infringement. :p

Lol. Agreed. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mog said:

...

And if we start hearing about how Mandos can’t fight on ground they deem holy, or if neutral observers must be present to watch a challenge, all while we hear Queen-like rock riffs, then I’m calling copyright infringement. :p

 

I don't know, I think I might like a little Highlander homage.;)

And I'm certain she's going to be challenging Din before too long. They just have to avoid killing each other.

On another thing, wasn't there a woman wearing a black cloak in the episode with the fish-woman and her eggs? She had a Sith-vibe about her, but we didn't see her again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, azrael said:

He can be spared, but being that doesn't nullify any future claim to the throne (even if he doesn't want it). In a trial-by-combat situation, to ensure any future claims are nullified, killing your opponent is preferable, but not required. True, the loser is disgraced but that doesn't stop them from coming back. Gideon isn't Mandalorian so exceptions could be made there.

I must have missed all that information from the show.....:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh don’t get me wrong:  I enjoyed the old Highlander TV series.  

They took the crazy rules and concepts from the first movie and developed and explored every possible conceivable story angle they could in the TV show.

And if any composer can somehow toss in Queen-like riffs into Mando, I’m pretty sure Ludwig Goransson can pull it off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mog said:

Oh don’t get me wrong:  I enjoyed the old Highlander TV series.  

They took the crazy rules and concepts from the first movie and developed and explored every possible conceivable story angle they could in the TV show.

And if any composer can somehow toss in Queen-like riffs into Mando, I’m pretty sure Ludwig Goransson can pull it off.

So Grogu loses his head to Din?  Oh, the stories Meethos could tell us as a Mando.  Is Emperor Palpatine just Arimon in a Galaxy Far Far Away?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well considering how many Mandos have lost their head to those surly Force wielders, it’s time for a little karmic justice! :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Tking22 said:

 she was pretty solid in the role, came off like a badass, 

 

Huh?

In this day and age you need to look the part more than ever. Thor with puney arms? Nope. Wolverine with a gut? Nope. An AIDS patient near death that looks healthy? Nope. A pudgy super spy? Nope. None of those fly.

Carano was already pushing hard on the weight limit of a "badass" in season 1. She blew right past that for season 2. What badass special ops type looks like that? The answer is none. Not even the retired and injured ones. I'd be surprised if she can run. She's well over 200lb at 5'8", and it isn't muscle. Not only does she not look like a baddass, she has a lot less excuses than most actors. She is fully capable of looking the part.

She is heavy boned, thick waisted and very muscular for a woman naturally. That puts her at a healthy"badass" weight of 145-155lb max. The below pic is 135lb. That is about 13-14% body fat. That puts her current body fat at least at 40%. That is literally obese.

Before you woke white knights jump down my throat bear in mind that I have coached (diet) multiple IFBB Biking and Physique show winners (for those not in the know, those are women). This is purely statistics/facts brought to you by someone very, very in the know.

Her not looking the part is enough reason to cut her loose. Her "plank of wood" acting is another. Her running her mouth on Twitter (about anything) another. She had three things to do. Act the part, look the part and don't let her off screen antics take away from the viewers ability to suspend belief. She is failing at everything. People that suck at their jobs THAT bad, shouldn't have that job.

For the record, I think she's smokin hot.

mvy94489gw241.png

 

 

 

Edited by sqidd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Carano was already pushing hard on the weight limit of a "badass" in season 1. She blew right past that for season 2. What badass special ops type looks like that? The answer is none. Not even the retired and injured ones. I'd be surprised if she can run. She's well over 200lb at 5'8", and it isn't muscle. Not only does she not look like a baddass, she has a lot less excuses than most actors. She is fully capable of looking the part.

Slow your roll, I meant she looks good in her dropper armor with her big guns she gets to use. She's obviously far from her UFC days physically, which I think is fine, I've made it head canon she was probably in better shape in her actual dropper days, and it's been years since Endor.

And despite her current body type, I still felt she looked and came off plenty badass, I stand by that. She isn't a superhero or comic book demi-god, she's just a former soldier, she played her roll just fine as-is. Also woke knights? C'mon now, don't turn this into 4chan or an IGN comment section, we're all above the age of 12 here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slang terms have ever-evolving definitions, and "badass" will mean something completely different to a fitness trainer than it does to a fanboy. :lol:

I'm fine with Cara Dune being well-past her prime, and I'm glad Hasbro's figures reflect her physique fairly accurately. 

b699e89d90755d364be27d0460def6d22d3f.jpg

Temuera Morrison, on the other hand, will be headlining The Book of Boba Fatt if he doesn't get rid of that gut.

3gQinGI.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In general, Pacific Islanders tend to be on the big side, especially as they get older.

But if Temuera can wield a gaffi stick and kick ass like a beast, I wouldn’t get too cranky.  

Now if he’s running a marathon or chasing a bounty on foot for more than five minutes?  Okay, then we’ll have to bring up Boba’s weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

Huh?

In this day and age you need to look the part more than ever. Thor with puney arms? Nope. Wolverine with a gut? Nope. An AIDS patient near death that looks healthy? Nope. A pudgy super spy? Nope. None of those fly.

Carano was already pushing hard on the weight limit of a "badass" in season 1. She blew right past that for season 2. What badass special ops type looks like that? The answer is none. Not even the retired and injured ones. I'd be surprised if she can run. She's well over 200lb at 5'8", and it isn't muscle. Not only does she not look like a baddass, she has a lot less excuses than most actors. She is fully capable of looking the part.

She is heavy boned, thick waisted and very muscular for a woman naturally. That puts her at a healthy"badass" weight of 145-155lb max. The below pic is 135lb. That is about 13-14% body fat. That puts her current body fat at least at 40%. That is literally obese.

Before you woke white knights jump down my throat bear in mind that I have coached (diet) multiple IFBB Biking and Physique show winners (for those not in the know, those are women). This is purely statistics/facts brought to you by someone very, very in the know.

Her not looking the part is enough reason to cut her loose. Her "plank of wood" acting is another. Her running her mouth on Twitter (about anything) another. She had three things to do. Act the part, look the part and don't let her off screen antics take away from the viewers ability to suspend belief. She is failing at everything. People that suck at their jobs THAT bad, shouldn't have that job.

For the record, I think she's smokin hot.

mvy94489gw241.png

 

 

 

Whiskey Oscar Uniform Lima Delta Sierra Michael Alpha Sierra Hotel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...