4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Wild that Pedro Pascal is starring in two big series on streaming.

It’s probably not so tough for him. Half the time he probably just did voice work for Mando.

It is a bit exceptional that in the way tv used to be, the actor was tied to a show or even a specific network. Here he’s got two shows on two different streaming services, but I’m sure they were filmed at different times. It is surprising that these services don’t have contracts that bind the actors, but in the network days shows were filmed weekly rather than mostly all at once.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Wild that Pedro Pascal is starring in two big series on streaming.

The Last of Us is on TV then streaming afterwards on HBO Max. Except for this week 'cuz of the Super Bowl.

16 minutes ago, Big s said:

but I’m sure they were filmed at different times. It is surprising that these services don’t have contracts that bind the actors, but in the network days shows were filmed weekly rather than mostly all at once.

It's probably a benefit that the shooting schedules are far enough apart that he can film both shows.

10 hours ago, azrael said:

The Last of Us is on TV then streaming afterwards on HBO Max. Except for this week 'cuz of the Super Bowl.

I don’t think most consider hbo tv either. I guess Cable, either way most people don’t watch hbo the channel anymore and stream it through hbo max subscriptions. However people choose to watch it it’s still gonna be interesting to have Pedro in two competing shows. And he may not be playing in the Super Bowl, but he’s definitely the big winner and I bet there will be plenty of commercials with or without his helmet during the game 

Modern shows are also ten episodes or less per season, back in the day it was 20 to 24 with no free time.  And back BEFORE the day some shows were on nearly every day of the week all year long (not just soap operas).  No need to have a contract stating no other work when there is literally no time for other work.

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Modern shows are also ten episodes or less per season, back in the day it was 20 to 24 with no free time.  And back BEFORE the day some shows were on nearly every day of the week all year long (not just soap operas).  No need to have a contract stating no other work when there is literally no time for other work.

They still are 20-ish episodes these days. It's just a matter of how much they want to spend on production. A shorter season only means, hopefully, that they are spending more on production rather than episodes; quality over quantity. Given The Mandalorian's use of VFX...I would imagine they need to equal production costs with episode counts.

3 hours ago, azrael said:

They still are 20-ish episodes these days. It's just a matter of how much they want to spend on production. A shorter season only means, hopefully, that they are spending more on production rather than episodes; quality over quantity. Given The Mandalorian's use of VFX...I would imagine they need to equal production costs with episode counts.

Mandalorian is ten episodes or so, Dr Who the same, GoT was the same, major network shows might be 20+ episodes still but I can't remember the last time I watch one.  

EDIT - an often more than a year between "seasons" though I think Mandolorian is doing a season slightly more often.

Edited by Dynaman

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I've started rewatching the first 2 seasons in preparation for number 3. Such a solid show. I prefer it over Andor (which I think tends to take itself a little too seriously). 

You can't spell Mandalorian without A-N-D-O-R 8P

Anyways, both are excellent shows and it comes down to preference on what you like most. Kinda like comparing Lord of The Rings to Game of Thrones in substance and style. ANDOR is not for everyone, especially young kids, while Mandalorian has more universal appeal. That being said, ANDOR is superior due to its quality in acting, writing, cinematography, etc IMHO.

Season 3 Episode 1 was very lackluster.

Started with a previously on recap that neglected to mention how baby Yoda and Mando got back together. If you didn't watch Book of Boba you'd be confused. There's a long scene with a bunch of Mandalorian cosplayers having a picnic at the beach. Hard to take these guys seriously in multi-color armor in daylight. The episode is mostly filler. Real season opener should have been that episode from the Book of Boba Fett.

A plot point for the season is Mando's quest of getting his cult to accept him again. One of the highlights of season 2 was that he had to break has code to rescue baby Yoda. He showed growth as a character. Not sure why he needs to go back to his old ways. I think the creators are just obsessed with all things Mandalorian.  I'm finding all of it pretty silly.

and Baby Yoda is just there to act cute. 

I enjoyed episode one of season 3. My take on it is that he's gone beyond his Mando "cult" but he doesn't know that( he's not full of himself). And he is still Mandalorian, therefore seeking redemption from the only clan he's ever known, until very recently. Doubtless his path will take him into deeper waters and he will come to know more of the history of Mandalore. Whereby he will forge a "new way". I enjoyed the eye candy and the action. I wasn't let down. 

We should start a drinking game:  every time we see a new Mando armor onscreen, take a shot.

. . . We would’ve all been dead of alcohol poisoning within the first 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

I think the creators are just obsessed with all things Mandalorian.

The show is called The Mandalorian.

This season opener felt like we're just being thrown back in. Can't say if it was good or bad since we're setting up the rest of the season, but the short episode felt like we're just packing it in and thrown into the waters. Next week is also going to be another short episode so maybe they're cutting these first few season's episodes short to make it longer on the tail end?

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I enjoyed episode one of season 3. My take on it is that he's gone beyond his Mando "cult" but he doesn't know that( he's not full of himself). And he is still Mandalorian, therefore seeking redemption from the only clan he's ever known, until very recently. Doubtless his path will take him into deeper waters and he will come to know more of the history of Mandalore. Whereby he will forge a "new way". I enjoyed the eye candy and the action. I wasn't let down. 

Same here and agreed @Bolt.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Take note how Cara Dune's lack of presence is explained in one sentence. I think it certainly affected the story , how much really, is hard to say.

Well, that was the original plan for the character. Hell, season 2 spawned all the spinoffs. 

S3 Ep 1 sort of had that silly vibe that most of the Book of Boba Fett episodes had, especially towards the end of the season...plus what was the deal with the Dynamite 7 Galactic Whales and Swamp Thing pirate?  His head looked like it was covered in that fake grass they place into Easter Baskets for the kiddos!

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

plus what was the deal with the Dynamite 7 Galactic Whales

Purrgil , they are. Seen in Rebels. But also mentioned in other SW stories. I thought that was a cool scene. Very haunting and mysterious. 

9 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

and Swamp Thing pirate?

Definitely the silliest character I've seen in a long time. :D

1 minute ago, Bolt said:

Purrgil , they are. Seen in Rebels. But also mentioned in other SW stories. I thought that was a cool scene. Very haunting and mysterious. 

Ok....that's right....it's how Ezra got "lost" along with Thrawn....was this a hint at what's coming?  Every SW show seems to be heading into a Avengers-style climax....only to still ultimately lead up to the Sequel Trilogy let down! ;)

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

S3 Ep 1 sort of had that silly vibe that most of the Book of Boba Fett episodes had, especially towards the end of the season...plus what was the deal with the Dynamite 7 Galactic Whales and Swamp Thing pirate?  His head looked like it was covered in that fake grass they place into Easter Baskets for the kiddos!

Chi...Chi...Chia...

or... Seaweed the Hutt?...

3 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I have thoughts, but I really need a second episode before I can comment. Given the shortness of the episodes, I do think they should have given us two the first week.

Same. And I was properly annoyed by the short episode time. Oh well, I’ll still tune in.