Not really, she's wearing what looks like TIE pilot flight gear which has been established for 30 Years. The things on her back are the only questionable thing unless you are saying anytime a woman stands someplace wearing a black outfit (even though said outfits look nothing alike other than both being black) means they are copying Katniss Everdeen.

In practically the exact same pose with the exact same look on her face.

Who cares?

The audience cares. Though it's Star Wars we still want it to feel original. Injecting a Katniss Everdeen makes it feel like pandering to a female audience or worse, desperation. Mind you this is noticeable and not just by us here in MWF. Perhaps a new trailer with some more of Forest Whitaker's character will lessen the Hunger Games comparison. Till then...

May the Force be ever in your favor!

Edited by TangledThorns

The audience cares. Though it's Star Wars we still want it to feel original. Injecting a Katniss Everdeen makes it feel like pandering to a female audience or worse, desperation. Mind you this is noticeable and not just by us here in MWF. Perhaps a new trailer with some more of Forest Whitaker's character will lessen the Hunger Games comparison. Till then...

If not for the post here I would have never seen it. Nothing about it on /Film, FilmSchoolRejects, or TheForce.Net. Not one of my friends who are Star Wars fans mentioned it (which accounts for most of my friends). So, again, I say who cares?

If not for the post here I would have never seen it. Nothing about it on /Film, FilmSchoolRejects, or TheForce.Net. Not one of my friends who are Star Wars fans mentioned it (which accounts for most of my friends). So, again, I say who cares?

Meh, never watched The Hunger Games and the "comparisons" that have been posted here are loose at best.

And now we care because the trailer focused on either (1) a female lead or (2) focused on a female member of the cast? I hope we see the same anti-this-that-or-the-other opinions when a bunch of movies get released staring dudes - because you know, Hollywood never panders to men. :rolleyes:

Relevant to actual news, the trailer looks awesome. I'm very happy to see a live-action Star Wars movie that focuses more on a "grounded" Force-less aspect of Star Wars, by way of the guerilla tactics of the Rebellion vs the military of the Empire. And hopefully even provide more in the way on the social climate of the galaxy at the height of the Empire's power.

-b.

After watching the trailer I was surprised to see such negativity in this thread. I admit when I first heard about Disney doing this film I wasn't too enthusiastic about it. After learning more about it and finally seeing the trailer, I'm totally sold on this movie. I actually think I'm more excited about this movie than episode 8.

After watching the trailer I was surprised to see such negativity in this thread. I admit when I first heard about Disney doing this film I wasn't too enthusiastic about it. After learning more about it and finally seeing the trailer, I'm totally sold on this movie. I actually think I'm more excited about this movie than episode 8.

Negativity? Huh?

Biggest problem with this movie is we all know how it is going to end.

Spoilers they steal the Death Star plans and pretty much everyone is going to die. Unless they make another special edition of the original trilogy and digitally place them in the Death Star 2 briefing scene in Episode VI to show us that they were there too.

Spoilers they steal the Death Star plans and pretty much everyone is going to die. Unless they make another special edition of the original trilogy and digitally place them in the Death Star 2 briefing scene in Episode VI to show us that they were there too.

I knew how it ended before the great continuity purge. The guy that stole the plans continued to do high-risk missions for the rebellion, put an end to an imperial scheme to make killer-robot stormtroopers, then became a jedi after the war.

BRING BACK KYLE KATARN!

Wait, why are they all going to die? The mission is successful, obviously. You're thinking of the bothans who died getting the location of the new Death Star in Jedi.

Either they die or retire to parts unknown. These characters an important enough to get their own movie but not important to be seen or heard in Episodes IV, V or VI. They'll have to disappear somehow at the end.

Either they die or retire to parts unknown. These characters an important enough to get their own movie but not important to be seen or heard in Episodes IV, V or VI. They'll have to disappear somehow at the end.

I believe they're all mercenaries, so they have no real allegiance to the Rebel Alliance. That said, you know at least one of them is going to die. Because, drama.

I believe they're all mercenaries, so they have no real allegiance to the Rebel Alliance. That said, you know at least one of them is going to die. Because, drama.

And one of them will be a traitor...

Edited by electric indigo

Weird as the Han Solo Bantam books were, I did like the background they gave him with one of the early rebel leaders. In those books, she did die on Toprawa, holding the comm station that transmitted the plans to the Tantive IV.

We know from Ep IV that the plans were transmitted, so there's not going to be any sort of hand delivery. That transmission is very likely the last thing any of these characters will do.

Is it canon that the plans were transmitted? Since Disney pretty much wiped the slate clean on the EU...

Pretty sure many of our merry crew of anti-heroes won't make it, perhaps at the hands of Vader? We've been hearing a more brutal Vader, perhaps he cuts them down one by one? I would think a duel between Vader and the 'space samurai' played by Donnie Yen is expected, maybe as the crew hold off Vader to let Felicity Jone's character escape...

Speculation on last shot of the movie would be the Rogue One docking with Tantive IV to load the plans into R2. They're jumped by a Star Destroyer, and the Rogue One sacrifices itself to buy time for the Tantive IV... which would nicely lead into the first shot of ANH

"Don't be so surprised, your highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you."

Let's hope they can stick to that...

Speculation on last shot of the movie would be the Rogue One docking with Tantive IV to load the plans into R2. They're jumped by a Star Destroyer, and the Rogue One sacrifices itself to buy time for the Tantive IV... which would nicely lead into the first shot of ANH

Wonder if the opening sequence of ANH is immediately after the plans are stolen?

Remaining Rogue One team rendezvous with Leia above Tatooine....RO ship had tracking device....Vader in the Star Destroyer jumps out of hyperspace....blows up RO ship.....begins chasing Tantive IV....then ANH opening sequence begins....

Agreed! :rolleyes:

"Pandering to a female audience"??

OH, GOD FORBID, THEY ARE DEVELOPING SOME DECENT FEMALE CHARACTERS IN THE STAR WARS FRANCHISE THESE DAYS!!!!!!

Seriously, how many female "characters" were in the original trilogy?? How many had more than one or two lines??

And the situation was nearly as bad in the prequel trilogy.

Now they are doing something to improve on that (not by a huge amount, mind you) and we are going to whine about it? Really??

My theory....

The scene at the end of the trailer with the AT-AT's attacking is at the end of the movie. They have just transmitted the stolen plans just before the Imperial assault on their Bunker and they are forced to evacuate(the scene just before with the one guy running out of what could be a bunker yelling, looks like it could be part of that same scene). If you look behind the AT-AT's you can see a tall tower with a dish on top. I think for whatever reason the R1 gang needed to get somewhere "safe" to transmit the plans. The Empire shows up, but they still get the transmission off in time before they are over run. Vader tracks the transmission and we know the rest.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I honestly don't care if the main characters in the new star wars movies are male or female, as long as we don't get a goofy reboot where all the characters get a gender swap. I never did watch the new battle star galactica due to the female starbuck and probably never will and I might end up with the same decision about ghostbusters. At least ghostbusters is actually new characters, but probably crap. I am however very interested in this film. The Disney franchise films lately may not be perfect, but they are perfectly entertaining.

Wow, not watching BSG because of that? Because all the characters have 10x more characterization that the originals. You're really, really missing out. If you like sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to not miss the best series of all. (Yup, better than DS9)

I honestly don't care if the main characters in the new star wars movies are male or female, as long as we don't get a goofy reboot where all the characters get a gender swap. I never did watch the new battle star galactica due to the female starbuck and probably never will

:rolleyes: