Sorry folks, there's profit to be had!

Interestingly enough, out of the top 10 films with the biggest ever opening weekends, 5 of them have been comic book-based. Who'd a thunk it, eh?

While it could be said that the Christopher Reeve Superman movies proved comics-films could be viable and successful, it could also be pointed out that Burton's Batman took the genre to the next level, made them hot property, and tapped into the mega marketing. Love it or hate it, Burton's Batman made the character "cool" again, and for audiences at large outside of comic fandom. It arguably brought ol' Bats back from the brink of obscurity.

I liked the Burton-era versions of the costume and its functionality as protective armor, while still intimidating to criminals. Definitely preferred those to all the underwear-on-the-outside incarnations, anyways....

Comic book fans would've thunk it :p - I remember clamoring for good movies based on comic properties as a teenager.

I 100% agree about Burton's Batman, although I don't look back fondly on any of that era's Bat-movies. I really like Nolan's Batman from top to bottom the best, and arguably they did more for comic book films from a pop-culture perspective than Burton or Reeve (RIP) ever did.

Another thing we agree on is that there is money to be made, and it WILL be made with this film, no matter what any of us say about it here, so yeah...

And I really want to pre-hate this movie on principle but the nerd in me would prefer for this to be "good".

-b.

Sorry folks, there's profit to be had!

Interestingly enough, out of the top 10 films with the biggest ever opening weekends, 5 of them have been comic book-based. Who'd a thunk it, eh?

Until you adjust for inflation...

Until you adjust for inflation...

He's not talking about highest grossing thru the entire run, but through opening weekend. I don't see any adjusted for inflation figures on Box Office Mojo that address opening weekend.

-b.

He's not talking about highest grossing thru the entire run, but through opening weekend. I don't see any adjusted for inflation figures on Box Office Mojo that address opening weekend.

-b.

True, but it's not hard to make assumptions regarding such things.

True, but it's not hard to make assumptions regarding such things.

Perhaps, but it doesn't change the underlying assertion that comic book movies are very big business for the movie and comic industries.

And that this movie will make a gajillion dollars, ending up on one of these highest grossing lists.

-b.

While the movie suit gets dialed down, the game's bad guys go overkill.

That's frakking badass. Can we get a batman beyond movie with that as the costume? please?

All it needs is a glowing bat symbol on the chest and we can call it Iron Bat. Since the 1st Ironman movie I've always wanted to see Batman with a suit like Ironman's

You mean the Arkham Knight suit isn't enough?

Batman-Arkham-Knight-06.jpg

I disagree. I like that old school Miller suit. Not everything has to be black and/or Iron Man these days.

I 100% agree. I rather like the new bat-suit so far. To me it the most Batman looking suit yet, and I really liked the Nolan suits. The button suits where nice too, though, I liked the Cowl better on the Returns suit to the 89's but the 89's suit to the Returns.

So far this Snyder suit, is looking like my favorite.

Good call RD Blade. It does remind me of Azrael

Chris

Edited by Dobber

So now that the majority has spoken about their like of the new Batman suit, will that mean you'll give the movie a fare shake? Or do we all still hate the title, premise, director, etc.?

-b.

So now that the majority has spoken about their like of the new Batman suit, will that mean you'll give the movie a fare shake? Or do we all still hate the title, premise, director, etc.?

-b.

Um, no. I'm not quite sure what one thing has to do with the other. It's a costume, not a script.

Um, no. I'm not quite sure what one thing has to do with the other. It's a costume, not a script.

Point taken. It's just odd to read so much negative reaction based on this, that or the other but then see "OMG, I love it" on another.

-b.

I want to see it now, I love Ben's suit so that actually gave me more hope and peeked my interest a bit more, I don't mind the title either, I'm whatever about it. At this point I just want to see Gal In costume as WW, and I want to see Cyborg in costume. One thing I wondered about the title, is why they didn't just go with World's Finest, Batman V Superman or Batman & Superman World's Finest. I mean the holy trinity is Bat, Supes, and WW, the original six has been changed up a lot but that always refers to the original six Justice League members, but Bat and Supes on their own are often referred to as the World's Finest, short for world's finest heroes. I mean we don't know anything about the story, but based on the Dark Knight Returns inspired suit I think it's pretty obvious BenBat will be going toe to toe with Supes in an amored Bat-Suit like in Dark Knight Returns, I just wonder how much actual Batman Vs Superman we'll see in this movie, will it become redundant? Will they not even fight or be at odds that long to the point that the title becomes a bit pointless? I don't know, Dawn of Justice obviously means they're trying very hard to set up Justice League, until I learn more actual plot details I'm just going to reserve most of my judgements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First look at the Man of Steel from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/03/henry-cavill-batman-superman-movie-first-look/11310229/

Spoiler'd for size:

fJsXFiA.jpg

Now it could be 'shopped but the suit looks more blue and the S-shield has more defined red and yellow areas. Oh and the "belt" looks more distinguishable than the previous which blended in with the suit too much, IMO.

They olded up his hair a bit.

Looks like the hint of gray on the sides and a more traditional cut.

The cut or may not be different, but there's no gray. It's the lighting and background.

Hehe, still looks like he's in a union suit with a cape. :p

And to think, once upon a time we nearly got:

cage-superman-main.jpg

That's. So. Horrible.

rectangle belt buckle... lol.

Actually happy that the suit is essentially the same, there really was no "in-movie" reason or way for him to get a new one since the first came from the scout ship he destroyed.

And no one is talking about the fact that he's in Gotham. Probably there to get beat up by Batfleck.

-b.

Looks like this movie is finally doing away with what many fans always complain about...the "origin" story....at least for Batman....which is good and I hope the film makers are rewarded for this....

I haven't re-watched MOS since my first viewing on bluray...but I think the movie was pretty much a reboot/origin story for Superman....in the movie he "comes out to the world" with unfortunate consequences....assuming that Batman is already a known "super" hero in this new film "universe".....Superman would have already known about Batman via the media, etc?

If so, he's probably going to Gotham to "introduce" himself (thus the pic which seemingly portrays Gotham).....but being fresh off from the destruction of Metropolis...I'm going to guess Bats/Gotham isn't rolling out the red carpet for the MOS......

I think the way they portray Batman's take on Superman will make or break this movie (at the end of MOS, the US government isn't too happy with Superman...I'm guessing Batman is needing to figure out his own opinion of him).....

just like the marvel movies, the DC movies should essentially be about the population of Earth coming to grips with the existence of forces that have the potential to destroy our planet (need for a SHIELD-like organization).......

If I were Lex...that's the angle I'd take and perhaps want to form a SHIELD-like organization in conjunction with world governments (he'll probably be the head of some ultra high tech/weapons company...perhaps he'll propose some joint-venture with Wayne enterprises.....which should provide some good scenes with Lex and Bruce)....and perhaps he may even have Batman/Gotham/Metropolis/World governments as allies at first, until Batman via "Bruce Wayne" uncovers his true motives....thus forcing Batman to ultimately side with Superman or at least considering him the lesser of two "evils"...perhaps at the end (due to incarceration/escape?) Lex's proposed Earth protection organization (like SHIELD) is dumped by world leaders in favor of the Justice League....consisting totally of Super Heroes.....like the Avengers....

Stepping off the speculation soapbox now..... :p