Robotech x Voltron crossover... what the...I don't even...

So my question regarding all of this -- why is DC Comics involved? Do they still have publishing rights (I think Wildstorm was the last publisher to put out anything Robotech-related in the comics realm) to Robotech?

If I had to guess, I would say because of the DC/WB relation..? (WB paid for the RT license and now feels like they have to do something -- ANYTHING -- since a LAM is out of the question). This is pure speculation, though.

I thought WB paid for the license to make a movie? The comic is being put out by Dynamite Entertainment. But the press release also mentions DC Comics. Dynamite is an independent comic publisher with no corporate ties (to my knowledge) to Warner or DC. Dynamite also has the rights to Voltron (they are currently publishing a Voltron comic), so it's not because of the crossover.

I thought maybe it was because Wildstorm, which is owned by DC, still has the comics rights, but weren't planning on doing anything, so maybe they worked out a sub-licensing agreement with Dynamite? That's just speculation on my part though.

If that's the case, then it potentially opens up the door for even more crazy crossover madness -- Superman vs. the Zentraedi!

The way I see is that WB bought the rights to sell licensed works but with DC closing the Wildstorm imprint they prob sub licensed to Dynamite since companies like them and IDW tend to scoop up titles like this that are based on shows or are older but still have a following. Dynamite and IDW specialize in these types of books.

Either way, as both a Robotech fan and Voltron fan......I'd rather they not crossover but hey I'm sure some people will like it. If this and RT: LLA lead to more Robotech then good if not then it's just par for the course.

Yup DC is owned by Warner. Not sure if WB ever bought rights to make a live action Voltron though. On a side note, when I see American franchises such as the Witchblade get a fairly high quality anime adaptation I always wonder what prevents franchises such as Robotech or Voltron, which have their roots in anime, from getting similar works. I can't all be about money can it? Because Top Cow is a small comic publisher

How the hell does HG still exist anyway?

IIRC, their main source of income is in Calif. based Real Estate. seriously. if nothing else, it seems to keep the firm comfortably afloat.

ROBOTECH is a back-burner thing for them, a hobby project of sorts

that just keeps on hanging in there seemingly for the sole sake of making life inconvenient for MACROSS fandom outside Asia...

Edited by Shaorin

Turbo Teen is an awesome idea. If I could meld with my Firebird and then assume that form whenever I needed it then I wouldn't have to worry about finding parking at night...

Sweet, we have an open discussion thread.

Has anyone seen the live action Blood: The Last Vampire?

Saw it for the first time last night. Had some mixed feelings. Loved some of the scenes that were replications of the original. Also loved the idea that this was an expansion on the original story... Then it got kind of cliche.

Has anyone seen the claymation short, "The Unicorn?"

I thought HG wasnt allowed to make any new material using the likeness of the original characters/macross stuff? Hence the reason for Rick Hunter looking nothing like he did in Shadow Chronicles vs the macross saga. I mean look at Roy, even with the eye patch, that's obviously Roy.

ben

I thought HG wasnt allowed to make any new material using the likeness of the original characters/macross stuff? Hence the reason for Rick Hunter looking nothing like he did in Shadow Chronicles vs the macross saga. I mean look at Roy, even with the eye patch, that's obviously Roy.

ben

Their license permits them to create merchandise using characters and materials from Macross but not Derivative works. Comics are considered Merchandise.

ben

Comics are an exception to the rule since they're considered merchandise or something. Tommy Yune did comics using the likeness of the Macross cast in the early 2000's.

I can't believe all the negativity here! This is going to breathe NEW LIFE into the franchise and bring in new fans by the millions! You watch, due to the popularity of this venture this time next year the RTLAM will be on the BIG SCREEN in 3D!!

I can't believe all the negativity here! This is going to breathe NEW LIFE into the franchise and bring in new fans by the millions! You watch, due to the popularity of this venture this time next year the RTLAM will be on the BIG SCREEN in 3D!!

QFT

It all makes perfect sense - when Hollywood finally runs out of sequels and reboots, they'll start doing insane crossovers. It'll be "Son of Superman meets the undead corpses of Abbot and Costello"! Instead of Grown Ups 2 competing with Pacific Rim, we'll have Grown Ups ON Pacific Rim farting in the Kaiju's general direction . . . . .

Tommy Yune's massive hit of Peyote might have predicted the future of film-making!

I'd buy the comic just to get a sharpie and scribble the boys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 in at the bottom of each panel. I have no doubt each scene will be rife with potential for comic hilarity.

By the way - does black lion have a giant dildo on his back? Is this Roy Harlock's new anti Meltrandi attack? I guess he figures once they go black they never go back . . . .

Deep Hurting. Deeeeeep Hurting.

So let's see, in recent years Macross fans get the excellent Frontier series and movies and Macross 30 PS3 game, not to mention all the 30th anniversary events and products and Robowreck fans get err......this.....LOL.

I'm actually scared to watch that video above.

Graham

So let's see, in recent years Macross fans get the excellent Frontier series and movies and Macross 30 PS3 game, not to mention all the 30th anniversary events and products and Robowreck fans get err......this.....LOL.

I'm actually scared to watch that video above.

Graham

Watch the first 5 min.