Robotech x Voltron crossover... what the...I don't even...

Your critique is based on "I turned it off after about 32 seconds"....so you really didn't hear all of it..you say that "your review came across as awful"........after 32 seconds?..If you can predict everything I said on it in that time frame....kudos to your ESP! :D

And sure I welcome opinions.... doesn't hurt my feelings...I just exercised my right to respond to you....that's what seems to bother you it looks like...you thought 32 seconds was crap...I thought your critique was crap...so I guess we're even...and all is well.

Happy New Year!

Well, you weren't able to keep me interseted in the first 10 seconds, by the time I got to 20, I decided I'd had enough, but I toughed it out to 30 and decide you were wasting my time. It's not my job to stay interested in watching that drivel, you failed to keep me interested.

Saying that I have ESP and calling everyone who hates your review an Internet Tough Guy is just name-calling because you can't handle critique, contrary to what you claim. There's nothing tough about what people are saying, nobody's losing there temper, swinging fists and getting into bar fights over your review. I say it very matter-of-factly, "it was crap". If it helps, I'll add a smiley so it doesn't appear so aggressive :)

Calling a critique crap on the other hand, is a clear indication that you cannot handle the criticism. I'm not the one out there, prancing around youtube, claiming that I'm an artist......you are. If you want to film yourself and put it out for public viewing, prepare for public ridicule, you're not everbody's cup of tea.

Sure, it's your right to respond, but then don't go around calling yourself an artist (because your video clearly indicates that you are not), prancing around saying things like you can take criticisim, because clearly you can't.

And uh, happy new year :)

Well, you weren't able to keep me interseted in the first 10 seconds, by the time I got to 20, I decided I'd had enough, but I toughed it out to 30 and decide you were wasting my time. It's not my job to stay interested in watching that drivel, you failed to keep me interested.

Saying that I have ESP and calling everyone who hates your review an Internet Tough Guy is just name-calling because you can't handle critique, contrary to what you claim. There's nothing tough about what people are saying, nobody's losing there temper, swinging fists and getting into bar fights over your review. I say it very matter-of-factly, "it was crap". If it helps, I'll add a smiley so it doesn't appear so aggressive :)

Calling a critique crap on the other hand, is a clear indication that you cannot handle the criticism. I'm not the one out there, prancing around youtube, claiming that I'm an artist......you are. If you want to film yourself and put it out for public viewing, prepare for public ridicule, you're not everbody's cup of tea.

Sure, it's your right to respond, but then don't go around calling yourself an artist (because your video clearly indicates that you are not), prancing around saying things like you can take criticisim, because clearly you can't.

And uh, happy new year :)

*SHRUG*....your answer says it all that you're the one that can't handle criticism....and mine came after reading all your post....not just after two words... ;)

Let's just leave it that we have both have our own opinions on this and the back and forth is over with. Take care!

Haha, I think you're missing the point here. It doesn't matter if I can take criticism or not, I'm not the one who proclaimed that I was an artist and that I can take criticism. I didn't post a horrible review on youtube, you did :) Anyway, better luck next time :)

Do comics make money anymore? I can't imagine HG is making a killing on this. I can't believe this will driven enough revenue to even keep the lights on.

Comics overall are actually doing relatively well... not as good as the boom period in the late 80s to early 90s, but better than they have in years. Sales are generally up across the board due to a combination of new distributions channels (digital comics and increased bookstore presence), publisher line-wide initiatives designed to increase readership (DCs New52 and Marvel's periodic re-numbering back to #1), TV/film adaptations bringing in new readers, and a little title from Image Comics called The Walking Dead.

That said, I doubt this book will be a big money-maker for anyone.

Edited by SuperSenpai

Just like the short film, it doesn't look like this fan made project Tochiro posted have bothered to take a look at the original line art. It looks like 80s American Robotech Comic books. I mean you have people making fan art like this:

post-151-0-86239000-1388522555_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-49991100-1388522558_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-25779200-1388522560_thumb.jpg

And even on Macrossworld we have artists like this

post-151-0-08084900-1388522583_thumb.jpg post-151-0-97341000-1388522627_thumb.jpg

I know the the people with the license are doing jack crap with it, but why are we so forgiving when anyone stamps the Robotech name on it? I'd back any toy, comic book, or project that respects the original source.

Thanks Tochiro! It is indeed a bit off from the original lineart but it's always fun and refreshing to see this kind of project, and these fan covers themselves have quite a bit more passion in them than the official crossover one too!

I know the the people with the license are doing jack crap with it, but why are we so forgiving when anyone stamps the Robotech name on it? I'd back any toy, comic book, or project that respects the original source.

"we" are forgiving because RT fans have had nothing real to be excited about for 30ish years.

just by looking at it, I can tell who one of the artist is. He did all the stuff in the beginning which has pretty good colors and composition. Wish they would spend more time on the pencils or whatever they call it digitally.

It maybe that they're fast passing all the art to keep all the viewers of the page coming. It's good art. I'm not gonna bash it just because it's Robotech like some, but you can tell some of the work that was time involved vs the work that was a bit rushed. For me personally, I'm so burned out on Roboteh fan projects and official stuff at this time, I just don't get excited about any of it.

I think it's valiant effort on the artist's part, both on the comic book and that short film. The part that bugs me is the fans' superlatives like "it's gonna blow you away" or "amazing" and then I see the actual product and it does absolutely nothing for me. I understand that these are low budget or done on people's free time, so try not to ever sell it as more than that. It's these fans that say that it's the greatest thing ever and turn around and explain it's crudity when given the least bit of critism. I agree with you on the last part... burn out or disinterest because you never know if these things are going to get completed or just fizzle out when it' all said and done.

I think it's valiant effort on the artist's part, both on the comic book and that short film. The part that bugs me is the fans' superlatives like "it's gonna blow you away" or "amazing" and then I see the actual product and it does absolutely nothing for me. I understand that these are low budget or done on people's free time, so try not to ever sell it as more than that. It's these fans that say that it's the greatest thing ever and turn around and explain it's crudity when given the least bit of critism. I agree with you on the last part... burn out or disinterest because you never know if these things are going to get completed or just fizzle out when it' all said and done.

Yeah, I agree. I've heard some fans sell these fan projects as "The greatest thing in decades for Robotech" and " Better than what Tommy or HG can do". First off, that sets the bar very low (even thought I'd still say there are a couple things HG has in its favor). Fan art, fan works, and the sort is very cool. I like what people do, but yeah, keep it as that, not as something to compare to the franchise itself. It just makes it seem petty, even if it is the case.

There is a huge difference between the two as this crossover comic, at least for the Robotech portion of it, and other official products have shown in the past few years; the license holders put the least amount of effort with their stuff in condescending attempts to make money off of very nostalgic fans, sometimes even throwing them a token gesture trying to reassure people that they're still really taking this stuff as seriously as they or their predecessors did years ago. And while a bit misguided, fan works aren't asking for such commitments, they just want people to enjoy their work without stuff like legalities or lawyers from the Los Angeles area potentially derailing the whole thing getting in the way. At least that's what I've come to think about it these days, especially after actually taking the time to hear all of Zen72's review for the comic's first issue.

Edited by Einherjar

The difference is the fact that Robotech Visions is actually made with passion, whereas Robotech/Voltron feels souless (on top of any other adjective/perjorative that could be said about it). I suppose its also a case of what you would rather see: the same g!ddamn drek over and over again (HG/Tommy stuff) or something that is at least interesting from the perspective of stories left totally unexplored until this time.

1523015_381337932001753_2071540525_o.jpg

I like Chrisk's art. But I think you guys are using my quote against fanboy's praises as a dig against fanart and fan fic.

And I did listen to the entire comic book review on youtube even before Duke's comments. While I agree with what the reviewer said, as a review it wasn't good because it was mostly a rant against HG and barely about the book. Granted the book is only a few pages with minimal dialogue but don't confuse the purpose of a review as a soapbox for anti HG sentiments. People will shrug it off as another useless angry fanboy rant. Do the review and do a separate podcast about HG complaints... PLUS review the facts. Tommy Yune and Steve Yun aren't brothers, their last names aren't even spelled the same. Maybe it's suppose to be funny but it just comes off as ignorant and totally discounts all other points no matter how good they are.

I know people here thinks that it's all anti-Robotech sentiments but the fact is it's the same kind of bias that you have when you hate ALL official projects and drool over EVERY fan made stuff. You over look whether it's really good or bad because you're too busy seeing it as a slap against HG. Passion isn't enough... it actually has to be good. As far as I know these projects haven't even been shown in their entirety to make those judgments.

Like I said, valiant efforts by those parties, but quit overselling it already.

The difference is the fact that Robotech Visions is actually made with passion, whereas Robotech/Voltron feels souless (on top of any other adjective/perjorative that could be said about it). I suppose its also a case of what you would rather see: the same g!ddamn drek over and over again (HG/Tommy stuff) or something that is at least interesting from the perspective of stories left totally unexplored until this time.

1523015_381337932001753_2071540525_o.jpg

Hear, hear!

I like Chrisk's art. But I think you guys are using my quote against fanboy's praises as a dig against fanart and fan fic.

And I did listen to the entire comic book review on youtube even before Duke's comments. While I agree with what the reviewer said, as a review it wasn't good because it was mostly a rant against HG and barely about the book. Granted the book is only a few pages with minimal dialogue but don't confuse the purpose of a review as a soapbox for anti HG sentiments. People will shrug it off as another useless angry fanboy rant. Do the review and do a separate podcast about HG complaints... PLUS review the facts. Tommy Yune and Steve Yun aren't brothers, their last names aren't even spelled the same. Maybe it's suppose to be funny but it just comes off as ignorant and totally discounts all other points no matter how good they are.

I know people here thinks that it's all anti-Robotech sentiments but the fact is it's the same kind of bias that you have when you hate ALL official projects and drool over EVERY fan made stuff. You over look whether it's really good or bad because you're too busy seeing it as a slap against HG. Passion isn't enough... it actually has to be good. As far as I know these projects haven't even been shown in their entirety to make those judgments.

Like I said, valiant efforts by those parties, but quit overselling it already.

One, the fact my review made it here in these anti-Robotech waters wasn't my idea...WHY submit people here to such pain and suffering?

Tommy and Steve are brothers....Tommy added the "e" on his own....so look into your OWN ignorance before declaring someone else's...

My criticisms of Harmony Gold/Tommy, etc. are based on what they have produced or in most cases, recycled....and it's not good.....and when it comes to fan art or productions....they work with the resources they have and while they won't be seeing an Oscar for what's produced....you put some of that fan work up against Yune's "efforts" and yeah...those guys deserve kudos for putting themselves out there and not even for a paycheck.

And if I WERE a fanboy....I'd be demanding Yune be fired....calling HG offices.....or by the same token jumping up and down by everything HG does saying "take my money!"

And the examples I have listed...are things that I have seen the from what I like to call "Marks" in the Robotech fandom ......and it's creepy.

I made clear in the podcast...got the DVDs, pre Yune comics, RPGS and of course the novels...and I'm good.

Shadow Chronicles, LLA,,,Shadow Rising..the crossover comic..and the Trio in L.A.......they are the comedic part of the franchise....

And yes, it may seem I don't take criticism to my podcasting well.....but hey, if you have the right to your criticism...I have my right to a retort to it...

But I think my best response to it should be. is NO response...and to simply keep on podcasting...amazing how people get angry or annoyed about it.... :)

Edited by Zen72

Commenting about your podcast in not being angry or annoyed. As I said in the beginning, I agree with your points, it's just that you do a disservice to yourself when you forget the purpose of your podcast and start to rant about something else. That's what makes it bad. Stay on target... that's a valid critique. The fact that you keep defending yourself like I insulted you shows that you can't handle the smallest comment even though it's helpful.

Even if you didn't post it here yourself, people have a right to say whether it should be listened to or not and if the things you said should be taken into account. It's information whether people should buy the comic book or not, even though all signs point to "no".

About them being brothers.... It's the first thing I asked people that actually hung out with those guys here in L.A. If you have more info on that then good for you. If I'm wrong then... you're not ignorant and forgive me for calling you so.

Again it's not hate... just stay on track about the purpose of your podcast. Maybe if it was you and another person talking to each other and your conversation divert naturally then I can see that. But on a podcast by yourself, you should have an outline that you stick to and give the people information that people came for. Again, all the extra stuff comes off as hate and discounts all your points about the comic book, no matter how valid they are.

And again... why don't you guys tell us the difference between fan art and official stuff, because you're definition of it makes us feel like we should like them out of pity and not out quality. Thanks!

Commenting about your podcast in not being angry or annoyed. As I said in the beginning, I agree with your points, it's just that you do a disservice to yourself when you forget the purpose of your podcast and start to rant about something else. That's what makes it bad. Stay on target... that's a valid critique. The fact that you keep defending yourself like I insulted you shows that you can't handle the smallest comment even though it's helpful.

Even if you didn't post it here yourself, people have a right to say whether it should be listened to or not and if the things you said should be taken into account. It's information whether people should buy the comic book or not, even though all signs point to "no".

About them being brothers.... It's the first thing I asked people that actually hung out with those guys here in L.A. If you have more info on that then good for you. If I'm wrong then... you're not ignorant and forgive me for calling you so.

Again it's not hate... just stay on track about the purpose of your podcast. Maybe if it was you and another person talking to each other and your conversation divert naturally then I can see that. But on a podcast by yourself, you should have an outline that you stick to and give the people information that people came for. Again, all the extra stuff comes off as hate and discounts all your points about the comic book, no matter how valid they are.

And again... why don't you guys tell us the difference between fan art and official stuff, because you're definition of it makes us feel like we should like them out of pity and not out quality. Thanks!

I am going to podcast the way that I podcast and that's it....from the cuff ..ad lib....no script .and I know...NOT everyone is going to like it......and maybe it is a fault of mine to even entertain the critique with a response...and honestly..I have heard worse from my #1 "lessoner" ;)

If anything I have tried to stay away from podcasting about Harmony Gold/Tommy Yune because it is beating a dead horse..it's BORING as a subject because it's common knowledge the sorry state of the franchise...but this comic though just really outdid itself in just how it's just another example of how Yune can't tell a story....

I did it on a whim...and maybe I'll do it again for issue #2....and we'll go through this ALL OVER again.....for now...my focus is on my main project....

Saying I was ignorant about the facts was what set me off to respond to you and I accept your apology....

I'm not going to argue that all fan productions are deserving of high praise....however...works like ChrisK's art along with Valkyrie Project are above the bar that HG has set for Robotech....Yune sets the level of standards and expectations so low...that the "marks" think that another DVD set or a calendar have saved the franchise...

Chris's art tells a story in each of his works.....and nothing needs to be written....that's talent...

And Valkyrie Project....look what a little effort produces......can you HONESTLY say that effort was done for Love Live Alive AND Robotech-Voltron?

I like them because they are quality product....not as an affront to HG...they do that to themselves enough already.....

And point taken...your words are not meant to be hateful..I just have that "Marty McFly tick" some times :lol:

Thanks!