Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

Hey guys, I know in the past I made a lot of comments on the color of the stripes on the wings on the VF-17D being white. Now I am unsure, because when I look up the release without the fast packs I see pictures with blue stripes. When I look up the version with fast packs I am seeing pics with white stripes can anyone verify that both releases will have the blue stripes? Graham can you shoot an e-mail over to Yamato maybe? I also wonder if they had one on display at Wonderfest over the weekend.

Thanks guys. Watched the video and put some more force in the metal swing joints... there were a few seconds where I thought I was getting a stroke because I thought I would snap the thing right out the plastic. But it worked out ok. I guess its just stiff. Decalled it too.

20120807_115429.jpg

20120807_115456.jpg

Thanks guys. Watched the video and put some more force in the metal swing joints... there were a few seconds where I thought I was getting a stroke because I thought I would snap the thing right out the plastic. But it worked out ok. I guess its just stiff. Decalled it too.

Hmm, why do you have both the old UN Spacy and the NUNS logos on there? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just curious.

this one is for GRAHAM -

G-Man, I must admit I finally see what YOU see in the 17, I have a pre-order for the 17 fp combo and I am pretty damn excited about it coming out,

I dont quite like the 1st head release but this one coming out just makes it look so much more badass

Thanks for keeping up the pressure on Team Yamato!

p.s. I still haven't seen the macross 7 series.... :/

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

this one is for GRAHAM -

G-Man, I must admit I finally see what YOU see in the 17, I have a pre-order for the 17 fp combo and I am pretty damn excited about it coming out,

I dont quite like the 1st head release but this one coming out just makes it look so much more badass

Thanks for keeping up the pressure on Team Yamato!

p.s. I still haven't seen the macross 7 series.... :/

I felt the same way about the S model head, but man once you see it in person it so bad ass.

I too started to really like the 17 after getting the toy. I think in many ways, it looks better to me than the line art version. I liked the 171 way more as far as the line art goes, but that's reversed when comparing the toys. The 17 just seems to have a lot more presence to it. It feels very substantial and heavy and just looks huge compared to the 171. It grabs my attention a lot more than the 171 does. Yamato did a really good job translating it from line art to a real world three dimensional object.

I agree with those who say the 17 is in a sense more scary and intimidating due to its sheer size. It is called 'nightmare', it's stealthy and black, (a big plus since I like that something like it exists in a bright cartoony world like macross 7 with the clown valks hehe) and most of all it is high performance mech with the firepower you don't normally see on a "naked" valk. (bigger gujnpod in general, has the beam connector thing for killing important enemies, probably more effective at close range than other valks with no wrist canons)

The VF-171 still looks cool too but more in a graceful way not in a frightening way. The 17 has what I call the 'zentradi' factor in it (ie their powered armor is all bulky and heavy and robust compared to the nimble human valkyrie in battroid mode)

The problem with yamato is..........................where is our vf-11 "renewal" that can attach Full Armor? The vf-11c with the full armor should be their next project imo. It looks cool and I think one of these would sell a lot of toys because of the main character kicking butt in it. (but dying heroically unlike all the other cannon fodder vf-11 guys lol)

Naked, the vf-11 looks average but when it puts on the armor it has that cool bulky look much like VF-17. Either do that or enemy mecha. It's not like they can milk the vf-17 as hard as vf-1. There is only so many variants of ace pilot valks. Whereas SDFM had a load of different variants of the same thing. To me it is a heavy stealth fighter and it is only suitable in black mostly.

But with the vf-11 I think they could maybe give us the milia variant. I would much prefer this even over the red vf-17.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

While asking them about that:

is yamato going to make this a future release one day or avoid it like the red vf-11?

vf-17s-milia-battroid_small.gif

Or does the cost to mould boobs on the pilot gone up and yamato can't afford to make the milia paintscheme?

This is the only bright mcdonalds paintscheme I like from mac 7. I avoided fire valk in hopes yamato might do this. I won't buy the sound force stuff. Only interested in diamond and emerald force and max/milia paintschemes.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Now I am curious, would people want this valk with shiny or grainy finish? I for one would want to see it shiny bright red. I recall seeing one of the VF-17S prototypes was cast in red plastic and appeared in one of the hobby magazines, but I think it was just to tease us! Somehow the poor sales of the millia VF-22 might put off the release of a red VF-17 for a long time sadly...

(null)

If they do make a Millia VF-17S, it won't be shiny, since the molds are already made with a dull finish.

The red cast one was a practice shot with plastic I think, but I hope they go with a deeper red than that. The pinkish color used on the VF-22 was really light, and I don't think it would look good at all with the yellow stripes her VF-17 had.

I keep hoping they'll just ignore canon, and give her white stripes. Still don't know why she kept the yellow.

If they make that one, I'll have 3 VF-17s, and be fine with that, but if they release a VF-17T, especially if they release the orange and white trainer version seen in Macross Plus, all bets are off. I'd probably grab the Sound Force one just to have the complete set in case the MAXL happens, but I might be tempted to get multiples of that trainer, or repaint a Sound Force one that way.. I'm a sucker for orange and white schemes. ^_^

Finally got a review up on anymoon.com. I wasn't quite as blown away with it as some others were. Overall, pretty decent toy but after the VF-19 toys I must have been expecting too much.

Here's a sample pic:

Yamato-VF-17-7.jpg

Just read your review. FINALLY, someone I agree 100% with. Honestly, I didn't understand why people were praising this toy like it was the best thing ever while ignoring the obvious flaws that it had. While I agree that it has a lot of good points, I just didn't feel it was fair that others would be just ignoring these flaws, the same kind of flaws they would be so unforgiving about if it was a Bandai product (not proportioned like the line art, prone to scratches in some areas, gappiness, etc). I don't really favor one company over the other, but I would at least like people to maintain a fairly objective stance when reviewing these things. Each product has its own pros and cons, let's learn to recognize and accept these for what they are but at the end of the day, let's all be happy that these toys are actually being made.

For what it's worth, the VF-17 was never my favorite design to begin with, but I do like having at least equal representation for main characters along side those doofy Emerald Force planes. :p

I think the biggest thing that bugged me about this one was that the nose shape looks weird. Not even that it was thicker than it should've been, but the way the nose was scooped out underneath. There was really no reason to do that, and the nose looks strange drooping that way. That, and the front gear seemed half-baked with the way the front door works. But overall, it's a nice representation. :)

Y'know, sometimes I think people are responding so strongly to this valk because most of us didn't initially much like the design. The suprise, I suspect, colors the reaction. That and some people are still expecting something along the lines of the v2 YF-19 from Yamato, not realizing how far they've come.

I find it interesting that Graham, probably the biggest VF-17 lover here, commented that he felt it was a step backwards in engineering from Yamato's 19 designs.

Although, if its any defense, Yamato is on their third attempt at 19 design and also has a lot of other toys, models, and kits to look at as reference. Yamato's never done a 17, and as far as I know the only examples they have are the Bandai and Experten kits.

Heh, I'm waiting for them to get to version 2. ;)

Of course, it's still a cool bad-a$$ black valk. Just after the Macross and the 19's we need more to be impressed- in my book that's a good thing!

Edited by NeoverseOmega