1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

If it is close to or over 300 I implore them to include the stand, pylon weapons, and a gun pod for good measure. Then I will find somebody that needs a kidney and buy 2 of these beautys.

I really hope it isn't that much.

Has anyone even seen a VF-4 with a gunpod? The same gunpod that the VF-1 uses is listed as optional armament, but where and how would it attach in fighter mode?

I'd expect it to be at least as much as a VF-17S; in other words, a lot. Is it going to be totally worth the MSRP and shipping, plus whatever other costs associated with securing a copy? Not likely, but we won't know that for sure until the price is announced and we actually have it in hand in order judge for ourselves. Therein lies the rub; being a web exclusive one has to pre-order one sight unseen and hope the final product is as awesome as it looks from all the pictures we've seen.

However, regardless of the final price, the subject is just too cool to ignore; aside from Yamato deciding to milk the mold with subsequent non-exclusive releases in the future, what are the chances we'll ever see another full transformation VF-4 toy in 1/60, at any price? Therefore, I'll be there, along with the legions of Lightning III fans, hoping for a reasonable MSRP and/or favorable exchange rate, with my finger at the ready to click that preorder button... hopefully at HLJ, but Nippon-Yasan would do just as well.

Good point I've drooling over vf-4g and vf-5000 pics and models here for 12 years! VF-X was a fun game and the VF-4G was the coolest valk to fly! Yamato is a much smaller company than Bandai, so we pay more...

Come on Yamato, 20000Yen! Or less,no gunpod required!

(null)

I hope Yamato learn something from Bandai VF-171. I think VF171 DX sell extreme well compare with VF-17.

Yamato should lower its price. Not just target the hardcord Macross fans.

Why do you say so? It's not like the VF-17S's doing badly, it has already been reisued and never as a limited edition.

Lower prices would be great though.

Why do you say so? It's not like the VF-17S's doing badly, it has already been reisued and never as a limited edition.

Lower prices would be great though.

I am more refer to...

Bandai's 171 has better complex packaging, competitive price point, nice ready decals and free stands etc.

I understand that it is a little unfair to compare with Macross Seven (1994) toys with Macross Frontiers (2008) toys, there are 14 years gap between them! Yamato's high price point cretainly push some casual collectors away.

So where does it store in fighter mode pylon or collapse and store internal or anime magic and appears when needed?

It launches in either Gerwalk or Battroid with an optional pod and tosses it away if they transform into Fighter.

Just received a mail from HLJ:

Hi,

Thank you for writing in.

I am sorry, as it says on the image you provided, it is a limited item that we are not able to get.

Thank you for shopping at HobbyLink Japan! We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

I think, i have to look to NY for the item already..

sighs...

I hope Yamato learn something from Bandai VF-171. I think VF171 DX sell extreme well compare with VF-17.

Yamato should lower its price. Not just target the hardcord Macross fans.

I am more refer to...

Bandai's 171 has better complex packaging, competitive price point, nice ready decals and free stands etc.

I understand that it is a little unfair to compare with Macross Seven (1994) toys with Macross Frontiers (2008) toys, there are 14 years gap between them! Yamato's high price point cretainly push some casual collectors away.

Oh, thanks for the clarification, I would’ve never got that from your post.

IMO Bandai’s prices aren’t for casual buyers either; and even if they were, the fact that they produce so little numbers as to get all the pre-orders taken in a matter of minutes can only mean these toys are aimed at hardcore collectors only.

Oh, thanks for the clarification, I would’ve never got that from your post.

IMO Bandai’s prices aren’t for casual buyers either; and even if they were, the fact that they produce so little numbers as to get all the pre-orders taken in a matter of minutes can only mean these toys are aimed at hardcore collectors only.

Their Japan offical cost are-

Yamato VF-17: 24,800 yen

Bandai VF-171 EX: 14,700 yen

Bandai VF-171 is 10,000 yen (around 120 US dollars) cheaper than VF-17. There must be something Yamato can work on.

Their Japan offical cost are-

Yamato VF-17: 24,800 yen

Bandai VF-171 EX: 14,700 yen

Bandai VF-171 is 10,000 yen (around 120 US dollars) cheaper than VF-17. There must be something Yamato can work on.

The difference in price is actually greater. You have compared the price of the 171EX with sales tax and the 17S without.

Prices with sales tax included:

Yamato VF-17S: 26,040 yen

Bandai VF-171EX: 14,700 yen

It launches in either Gerwalk or Battroid with an optional pod and tosses it away if they transform into Fighter.

???

It's mounted on one of the external hardpoints.

You guys never played MDM:VF-X?

The difference in price is actually greater. You have compared the price of the 171EX with sales tax and the 17S without.

Prices with sales tax included:

Yamato VF-17S: 26,040 yen

Bandai VF-171EX: 14,700 yen

I was thinking of where to post this but since it is somewhat related, this is something which is very interesting by Amiami! The entire time, i have felt that the pricing of Yamato's valks is way overpriced, but what i was suspicious of was the quality of the items. As many stand by it and many others which complain against it, i think this statement from Amiami basically compunds it all! The pricing,quality and customer service of Yamato valks sucks big time! I really hope Bandai continues to improve and add on to their line of valkyries coz i would definitely love to direct my investment in that direction! Additionally, i think even with the mark up due to limited stock, they are still more economical than Yamato's valks!

Note from Amiami:

"Unfortunately we are unable to provide a replacement or replacement parts for the item as makers do not provide support for overseas customers, and they will only provide support for end-users (not retail stores).

At this time, we can only provide you with a refund of the merchandise price provided you send the item back to us and pay for the return shipping. (The refund would be processed after receipt of the item.) Also, to be honest, Yamato figures are not the best quality considering their price and in the future we will be unable to order figures produced by Yamato. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Just received a mail from HLJ:

Hi,

Thank you for writing in.

I am sorry, as it says on the image you provided, it is a limited item that we are not able to get.

Thank you for shopping at HobbyLink Japan! We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

I think, i have to look to NY for the item already..

sighs...

Argh! with all this talk of VF-17 & 171s - just to clarify, are HLJ saying that they will NOT be carrying the web-exclusive VF-4G? Oh, no... if that's the case, especially if amiami isn't going to be carrying Yamato stuff - what are North Americans supposed to do? (finger itching closer to the panic button - as if my hand isn't already there missing out on the VF-25G) ;-(

I wouldn't panic about the VF-25G just yet. If things go anything like they did for the VF-171, you might be able to get one from Nippon Yasan still. I only ordered a VF-171 from them two days before release (when I went to pre-order the super packs for it), and they still had them. It's sitting at the FedEx office for pickup as I type. ^_^

That's potentially sad about the VF-4 and HLJ, but I bet if you had asked them if they'd be carrying the VF-1 kits, Fan Racer, VF-X, or any of the other Yamato "exclusives" they probably would have given you the same reply. We probably won't know until later if they'll get them or not. Yamato knows they have a lot of international buyers, so hopefully they'll figure out some way to make it available.

If not, that's going to be one gigantic group buy.

If it is close to or over 300 I implore them to include the stand, pylon weapons, and a gun pod for good measure. Then I will find somebody that needs a kidney and buy 2 of these beautys.

now why wouldn't this thing include at least gunpod and wing ordinance as standard accessories,

like the majority of Valk toys ever made?

now why wouldn't this thing include at least gunpod and wing ordinance as standard accessories,

like the majority of Valk toys ever made?

Technically, most of the valk toys made don't have wing ordinance as standard accessories. The gun pod is a standard accessory though. Maybe it's a bit too early to say what will come with this toy.

I was thinking of where to post this but since it is somewhat related, this is something which is very interesting by Amiami! The entire time, i have felt that the pricing of Yamato's valks is way overpriced, but what i was suspicious of was the quality of the items. As many stand by it and many others which complain against it, i think this statement from Amiami basically compunds it all! The pricing,quality and customer service of Yamato valks sucks big time! I really hope Bandai continues to improve and add on to their line of valkyries coz i would definitely love to direct my investment in that direction! Additionally, i think even with the mark up due to limited stock, they are still more economical than Yamato's valks!

Note from Amiami:

"Unfortunately we are unable to provide a replacement or replacement parts for the item as makers do not provide support for overseas customers, and they will only provide support for end-users (not retail stores).

At this time, we can only provide you with a refund of the merchandise price provided you send the item back to us and pay for the return shipping. (The refund would be processed after receipt of the item.) Also, to be honest, Yamato figures are not the best quality considering their price and in the future we will be unable to order figures produced by Yamato. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Wow, I am really shocked that Amiami would say such blasphemous things! I have never had any support problems with Yamato and vendors like HLJ. It's all on Amiami not wanting to support their customers outside of Japan. If anything getting replacement parts from Bandai is a greater problem than Yamato has ever been. Also I have not had too many quality problems with Yamato and the paint actually tends to stay on the valk once applied. I am not taking sides here of either of the mfg's as they both seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses. Back to Amiami: I had such a hard time getting the VF-19 Kai replacement wings that Yamato released to fix the reversed lighting issue that they had on the first run(Red&Blue color reversed). Yamato offered the fix for free to people who bought the valk, but the catch is that the licensing issue with Macross outside of Japan prohibits Yamato from dealing with customers from elsewhere. Amiami had a choice to help me or not. They chose to help me but they made me pay for the wings that were free! :( then on the next order they put a little yellow piece of paper inside the box stating they refuse to help us gaijin. So all in all if you shop with the right vendor who focuses on customer service, you should be able to get replacements no hassle. Always check the policies on the vendors site. I am shocked by the "Also, to be honest, Yamato figures are not the best quality considering their price and in the future we will be unable to order figures produced by Yamato. We apologize for the inconvenience." line that was fed. Why are they currently taking pre orders for future Yamato valks? After hearing this though I think that is the last straw for them and I. Another thing that really bothers me is the pre-order policy they have. If you cancel they are liable to black list you for life, and I may just do that now by cancelling my 2x pre-orders for my VF-19F and VF-17D with armor and pre order with HLJ. At least hobbylink deals with us dirty gaijin and gets us replacement parts. [/end rant]

You know I just re read the original post, they also stated that Yamato will not deal with the retailer...... How come they deal with HLJ? Maybe Yamato has a problem with Amiami?

Edited by Loop

If not, that's going to be one gigantic group buy.

I am starting to lean towards a group buy as well. But I will stay calm and wait to see what happen as the pre-order dates get near.

It only has a gun pod on the promo poster. In game it just uses its arm guns as vulcan cannons.

Hmmm... might be mixing it up with the VF-17 (same game) and Macross M3.

Nevertheless, found some lineart that shows where the gun pod attaches:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/flashback2012/vf-4/vf-4-la5.jpg

(mounting point on innermost hardpoint right of central fuselage)

That said, I'm also not expecting this to come with a gun pod or optional wing hardpoint armaments.

They're saving those for supplemental releases to milk it for more ï¿¥!

Yeah the VF-17 in DM VF-X has an external gunpod on the game model. I think they got the idea from the old Bandai toy since you can plug the gun in around the arm.

The VF-4 never had a gun in M3

and that old line art is back from before it got revised so i don't really think it's relevant anymore

?

How has the base lineart for the VF-4 been revised? Or are you talking about the VF-4 that appeared in SDFM (VF-X-4) vs. the one that appeared in FB2012? The lineart in question is clearly the later, which is what all subsequent images of the VF-4 is based on...