Your absolute favorite Macross toy you own...

drkstar00

best toy's ever...

ariibat_maxmiliaf.jpg

Shut Up. i had to suffer through those first hand back in their day, a painfully desperate budding MACROSS fan with next to no choices available to me for MACROSS VF-1 goods

that weren't 1/100 ARII plastic model kits. it was a sad, SAD time. all i wanted was a variable VF-1 toy. just one damned 1/55, even a stupid TF JETFIRE

would have launched me straight to seventh heaven back then. but what did i end up having to settle for instead? THOSE STUPID F*&^%ING THINGS UP THERE.

i still have all $200.00 worth of those forsaken bastards, a criminal waste at $20/25.00ea., stored away.

i beseech someone, anyone, to take the sinful things off of my long-suffering tortured shoulders.

Please, Someone... Grant me Peace...

Edited by Shaorin

1 - Overall, I would have to say the 1/48 VF-1J Hikaru Type (my 1st Macross toy), which will always remain THE ICONIC Macross mecha for me and the one I always reminisced about when I thought about Macross.

2- The SV-51 Nora Type comes close -- the beautiful, striking design and the unique color scheme really makes it stand out in my eyes. Of course, I am also a huge fan of Nora whose character I feel was severely underutilized and whose ignominious death was a travesty. Though I am glad that she never got bested by Shin and always came out on top in their confrontations.

3- Max's VF-1A TV Type come rather close as well -- Other than it's notable combat exploits who can ever forget it's role in the greatest infiltration and getaway in anime history!

Edit: Just read the rules about not listing more than one favorite toy. :ph34r:

Edited by Aeternalis

Sentimental value---1:60 Ver.2 Roy TV, Max TV, and Hikaru TV with armor and VF-1D. But the Elint Seeker is pretty high on the cool scale as well....Favorite toy design/engineering -- 1:60 VF-19 Kai.

Yeah pretty much this here for me.

Why? The 1st batch had problems with the floppy wings but the reissues were fine, My Nora type is the best Macross toy I own.

I've got a Nora as well it's it's perhaps the floppiest Macross toy I've ever bought. out of box the hip swing joints and the plastic ball socket that plugs into the legs where both loose, as where just about every joint related to the wings. even after fixing most of them the wings still collapse if you turn the toy upside-down in fighter mode, and it can barely support the weight of the weapons/boosters in Gerwalk.

Also, from an engineering perspective there are a number of area's I really think could have been done better. To me the arm articulation should be much better than it is, and there are far too many parts that rely entirely on gravity and plastic tolerances to keep them in place.

I really like the toy, I think it's a beautiful representation of the design, but I feel like if they took a second stab at it now they'd be able to solve a lot of issues that make the toy more frustrating than fun.

though i'm REALLY loving my new YF-19 1/60v.I, neither it, nor any other Valk could ever usurp my 1/60v.II VF-1J Hikaru T.V. as my no.1 favorite MACROSS toy.

it's simply the finest iteration, to date, IMO, of my favorite variant of what i consider to be the finest Mecha design of all time, variable form or otherwise...

I wanted to say the exact same thing - albeit not about the 1/60 v.2 but rather Bandai's 1:100 Hi Metal VF-1J. It's superior to the Yamato in every possible way. The sculpt is more anime accurate, the transformation - particularly of the shoulders/arms - is flawless, innovative and far superior to Yamato, and the durability and QC are better too.

The pictures speak for themselves: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=994

Pete

far superior to Yamato, and the durability and QC are better too.

The pictures speak for themselves

nah... i still hate that huge gap between the intakes and the chest more than the collar (which has been corrected on the newer v.2s, whether intentionally or not...)

...if i could only have one... definitely the VF-1D (w/ the neck piece + seats add-on) for a nostalgia junkie like me. :)

I wanted to say the exact same thing - albeit not about the 1/60 v.2 but rather Bandai's 1:100 Hi Metal VF-1J. It's superior to the Yamato in every possible way. The sculpt is more anime accurate, the transformation - particularly of the shoulders/arms - is flawless, innovative and far superior to Yamato, and the durability and QC are better too.

Pete

as long as you ignore the super wide hips, the tiny feet, the fact that the head is actually in the same place as on the v2 yamato, the oddly elongated torso, the short arms... as long as you ignore all those flaws, yes, the hi-metal is more accurate than the v2 yammie... when it comes to the backpack placement.

I've got a Nora as well it's it's perhaps the floppiest Macross toy I've ever bought. out of box the hip swing joints and the plastic ball socket that plugs into the legs where both loose, as where just about every joint related to the wings. even after fixing most of them the wings still collapse if you turn the toy upside-down in fighter mode, and it can barely support the weight of the weapons/boosters in Gerwalk.

Also, from an engineering perspective there are a number of area's I really think could have been done better. To me the arm articulation should be much better than it is, and there are far too many parts that rely entirely on gravity and plastic tolerances to keep them in place.

Fair enough! I guess I lucked out with mine.

I really like the toy, I think it's a beautiful representation of the design, but I feel like if they took a second stab at it now they'd be able to solve a lot of issues that make the toy more frustrating than fun.

When were Yamato toys ever supposed to be fun? They're fragile works of art meant too be treated with velvet gloves and admired from afar; isn't that part of their charm? :p The only Macross toys I have ever had any fun "playing" with are the Bandai reissues of the old Takatoku valks. Those things are nigh indestructible.

When were Yamato toys ever supposed to be fun? They're fragile works of art meant too be treated with velvet gloves and admired from afar; isn't that part of their charm? :p The only Macross toys I have ever had any fun "playing" with are the Bandai reissues of the old Takatoku valks. Those things are nigh indestructible.

I play with all of my Yamato Valk's and have fun doing it. some of them can be tricky to transform but the rest of them are solid enough in each of their modes to be fun to mess around with. even my VF-27 get's played with from time to time.

Pete

I agree with you except the "more anime accurate", "flawless", "innovative", "far superior to Yamato" and "better QC" parts.

"more anime accurate" - pondered at the torso

"flawless" - it's not even perfect transformation - I don't mind it but won't call it flawless

"innovative" - I looked at the 1/48 and 1/60 Yamato versions and wonder what's new - the swapping heat shield?

"better QC" - durability, yes; QC? the painting is surely not better than a Yammie. Just looked at my 1J and the paint goes over in places.

"far superior to Yamato" - blah.