Fans who lack research

Does it bother some fans, even in the IT age, still do not bother to research?

Recently I've responding to guy who doesn't do any research and posts speculation as fact.

No it isn't Macross and Robotech, but he does show ignorance about that IP, other 80's shows such as Voltron and Mighty Orbots.

He posts there would be a Live Action Movie Voltron.

I asked if WEP settled with Toei and Nakamura over who gets the rights in Voltron and Golion over the Live Action Lion Voltron.

His reponse was he wishes Japan's economy would sink so that the IP could be bought cheap. :mellow:

Then he goes over that Mighty Orbots was made by Big West. I used to watch Mighty Orbots as a kid and I don't remember it at the credits. Googled it and it shows Big West had nothing to do with Mighty Orbots. (Also because as TF fan I know former Gobots owner Tonka sued the creators of Mighty Orbots, which got the show cancelled. Tonka in turn was out trademarked by its competitor Hasbro over Gobots and Tonka's fate was eventually bought by Hasbro.)

Maybe it my Tsukkomi personality (straight man in manzai comedy) that makes me correct fools.

Edited by RedWolf

Recently I've responding to guy who doesn't do any research and posts speculation as fact.

No it isn't Macross and Robotech, but he does show ignorance about that IP, other 80's shows such as Voltron and Mighty Orbots.

I asked if WEP settled with Toei and Nakamura over who gets the rights in Voltron and Golion over the Live Action Lion Voltron.

His reponse was he wishes Japan's economy would sink so that the IP could be bought cheap. :mellow:

Then he goes over that Mighty Orbots was made by Big West. I used to watch Mighty Orbots as a kid and I don't remember it at the credits. Googled it and it shows Big West had nothing to do with Mighty Orbots. (Also because as TF fan I know former Gobots owner Tonka sued the creators of Mighty Orbots, which got the show cancelled. Tonka in turn was out trademarked by its competitor Hasbro over Gobots and Tonka's fate was eventually bought by Hasbro.)

Maybe it my Tsukkomi personality (straight man in manzai comedy) that makes me correct fools.

About stuff like your examples? Not particularly. Macrossworld is the only anime-related site on the internet I visit, let alone post at. And even then, I'm only in the actual Macross sections when there's new Macross. If I want to know something about a particular show, I can just Google it. I think there are more important things I wish people would do research on instead.

I think one thing you have to keep in mind is that people are into anime or other forms of entertainment to enjoy themselves - and sometimes of course they get so into it that they become uber fans and try to learn everything possible.

But ever so often, folks come along who will present an opinion or point of view that is not informed - and...so what? As Vile said, research is for school. This doesn't mean I condone uninformed opinions - but in the end, these people come to discuss these things to unwind. Lots of them don' twant to treat it as a second job that requires cumbersome research.

The real problem isn't folks who are poorly informed, it's folks who won't accept that they are poorly informed.

If I say X, and other more knowledgeable people jump on the statement and demonstrate that I don't know all the facts - then I stop saying x, learn the facts ,re-assess my opinions based on knew information.

Other people sometimes just keep sticking to their preliminary misinformed statement - and that I agree can get somewhat annoying.

But oh well.

Pete

Now, people who come on forums and say, "Hey, I'm writing about this planet, it's only 1,000 km in diameter, but I could have normal gravity there if I had a black hole in the centre, right? And then it could have a normal atmosphere, too! What do you think?" - they really tick me off!

zap.gif

Edited by Vile

If you did YOUR research, you would have been able to tell him that in the future, it is Japan which will take over America!

"Tis far better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." --Anon

"Never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people." --a funny t-shirt I saw once <_<

edit: Lord knows I've provided confirmation of that first one enough times, in my life. No matter how much we may learn or know about something, we should be humble enough to remember that there will always be someone out there who may know just a little bit--or a lot--more than we do....

...and we should begin machinations to bring about their downfall forthwith. :p

Edited by reddsun1

That is why we have internet forums, to indoctrinate guide people into the light.

But seriously, I notice this more and more especially with younger people. They just have zero curiosity to look stuff up, and are accustomed to having everything delivered on a silver platter to them.

wrongf.jpg

I wouldn't take it too hard. People will be wrong for all kinds of reasons. Just keep in mind that they are posting because they are interested, regardless of whether or not they are right. Appeal to them in a way you know will lead to something worth discussing, rather than banging your head against the wall.

The only thing that really bothers me is a post that askes the samne questions that have been asked over and over in threads over the years.

You know like "Whats your favortite 1/48 Yamato" and "Do you think they will ever make more bad guy figures" or "How do I make pannel-lines" etc.

USE the search facility on MW thats what its for. Generally if I get messaged that a new thread is started with a question like that I just dont bother with it. I got more important things to do, that said if it is a new twist on an old question i'll at least take a look.

To add to BigF's list, the only thing that bugs me is the posters (here and abroad) who actually receive pleasant responses with good basic information and corrections, and who do not bother to read them, ofttimes quoting those very same posts...

Doesn't bother me at all. sometimes, people just get so excited about a trivia they heard somewhere about their favorite show, that they accept it as gospel truth. and it's easy enough to point out the truth to them.

what should really bother you is not a lack of research, but someone who claims to have done research, but continues to misinform everyone anyway. si? ;)

Why, whoever could you be referring to, mi amigo? :lol:

Why, certainly I could not be possibly be referring to anyone in particular. To think that there could be such a person... ¡qué horror! ^_^

Edited by dreamweaver13

It's the nature of internet forums that questions get asked again and again, year in, year out. Yes, there is a Search function, but 90% of people don't like, use and/or understand them. It doesn't really bother me - I only read threads that look interesting from the title or preview and if i don't like it, I don't go any further.

In my line of work I spend enough time smacking my head against the wall of ignorance, and that's dealing with professionals who really should know what they're talking about. It's just not worth getting angry at people I don't know in a forum I read for fun ...

It's the nature of internet forums that questions get asked again and again, year in, year out. Yes, there is a Search function, but 90% of people don't like, use and/or understand them.

I've tried the search function a lot here and it is not as effective as I thought it would be.

So, this douche-bag wants a country's economy to collapse and millions to suffer so that he can watch gay Japanese cartoons from the 80's? Just when I think that I'm the most egocentrical person on the planet I hear about nimrods like this one...

The thing I dislike about such idiots is that if enough of them say it, it becomes "true."

To take an example from my other great passion, video games...

ET was so hideously awful that it single-handedly killed Atari, nay, the entire video game industry! And they had to bury most of the print run in a landfill because they couldn't give it away!

EVERYONE knows this. But... it's a combination of severe exaggeration and outright fabrication.

ET was symptomatic of fundamental problems with management at Atari.

The huge numbers of unsold carts had less to do with it being a bad game(it's actually a half-decent adventure game) and the fact that Atari made more copies of the game than there were systems in existence. They expected EVERY existing Atari owner to go buy a copy of ET AND for countless more people to go buy an Atari JUST to play ET.

Screw-ups like this were quite common in the later days under Time-Warner's management.

One game, Quadrun, had a retail release canceled because it didn't play-test well with ten-year-old girls, and thus had no hope of commercial success.

PacMan's VCS port was blatantly phoned in. No one gave a damn because the name would sell it. And gamers were outraged. The VCS was simple hardware, but it was capable of so much more(if there were any doubts, Ms. PacMan and PacMan Jr. proved it.)

And on and on and on.

ET didn't kill Atari. Atari killed Atari.

And the industry at large? A lot of things happened to cause the crash. ET wasn't one of them.

As for a large number of copies being buried after retailers returned them to Atari... that's 100% true.

BUT... it isn't the ONLY game to suffer this fate, nor indicative of the game's crappiness. The game industry at the time was a lot less hostile to retailers*, and this was a fairly common occurrence.

Rather than leaving the retailers stuck with unmovable product that would plug clearance bins for years to come, Atari would buy back excess stock, destroy it, and write it off as a loss on their taxes.

*And retailers were a lot less hostile to consumers. You could actually return a game just because it sucked.

THIS is why I dislike idiots that won't do their research. They BECOME other people's research.

Edited by JB0

LOL.. "research"

No when someone is an idiot, I like it... It shows me who the idiots are.

LOL so true. Cant see the wood for the trees ? Go get a chainsaw. :)

Without trying to seem like too much of an old fart (but I'm going to anyway), to me it seems that there are a lot of people in the under-20 age group who seem to have little "general knowledge" about a lot of topics.

Maybe this is just stuff that is learned with time and I should not be judging them. I dunno.

Taksraven