Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

So, the answer is: foam is not a functional part of the toy = design defect because the lower heat shield won't stay up.

My question is, do they even think there is a problem to deal with? From their perspective the heat shield should function fine, and we are simply not locking it in properly?

No. Cease your bashing and read the posts. The foam is a PACKING MATERIAL used in order to prevent damage to the complex toy during shipping, as with most other packing materials.

So, the answer is: foam is not a functional part of the toy = design defect because the lower heat shield won't stay up.

My question is, do they even think there is a problem to deal with? From their perspective the heat shield should function fine, and we are simply not locking it in properly?

There is no problem with the heatshield........PERIOD!

What Yamato are saying is that the packing foam was added to prevent movement of the escape pod during shipping and transit.

The packing foam should be removed and discarded when you get the toy.

Graham

What Yamato are saying is that the packing foam was added to prevent movement of the escape pod during shipping and transit.

Graham

I don't get it.

Does that mean that the escape

pod is loose to start with? Will it

fall off if you do barrel rolls?

Got mine today, This is by far the best built Yamato Macross toy to date. I was also able to transform it in just a few minuets from one mode to the other all without even looking once at the instruction. They did some really cool things for the transformation to happen and be smooth at the same time. They hit this one out of the park. The VF-11B is one of my least favorite but I glad I got it. I just pray they make a VF-4 this good someday.

I don't get it.

Does that mean that the escape

pod is loose to start with? Will it

fall off if you do barrel rolls?

I suppose that means unless you drop it from several feets mid-air, it is fine.

However, we all know how rough the transportation process maybe. Throwing onto the truck; throwing on the cart; throwing onto the plane's cargo bay, same things when it landed, and more throw-arounds before it is delivered to the shops.

My understanding is that the foams are for the throwing, but not necessary when it reached the owner. Unless it's a rough owner, maybe.

I suppose that means unless you drop it from several feets mid-air, it is fine.

However, we all know how rough the transportation process maybe. Throwing onto the truck; throwing on the cart; throwing onto the plane's cargo bay, same things when it landed, and more throw-arounds before it is delivered to the shops.

My understanding is that the foams are for the throwing, but not necessary when it reached the owner. Unless it's a rough owner, maybe.

thanks for the clarification.

by the way, what holds it in place? magnets?

Had the 11 since the release date now and the honeymoon is still going strong.

I'm still having problems locking my heatshield but then again the escape pod is also way too loose. Falls out when I turn it upside down now.

Meh. Not really an issue. Someone had to get a dud. Looks like this could be as solid and break-free as the 21.

Edited by Alex

Had the 11 since the release date now and the honeymoon is still going strong.

I'm still having problems locking my heatshield but then again the escape pod is also way too loose. Falls out when I turn it upside down now.

Meh. Not really an issue. Someone had to get a dud. Looks like this could be as solid and break-free as the 21.

No problem with both my heatshields. It does take a bit or force to get them locked, but once they're locked, they stay locked.

I can hold both my VF-11B upside down and the escape pods don't fall out.

Graham

Great photo, but shouldn't the YF-21's wings be unfolded?

Also, didn't realise the new Yamato clear display stand was out already!

Graham

Yep it should.. how else would Guld apply the downforce? ^_^ This is so gonna wreck my budget.. I MUST recreate this scene in my display cabinet!

No problem with both my heatshields. It does take a bit or force to get them locked, but once they're locked, they stay locked.

I can hold both my VF-11B upside down and the escape pods don't fall out.

Graham

I think that the fuselage is just a little too loose on either side so there's little friction for the escape pod and the heat-shield. I've pulled it to full extension and it still does not lock.

It really doesn't matter though.

Mine came in today. :)

I'm impressed. Looks good in all modes (Hopes for repaints or VF-11C so I can justify multiples), transformation is nice and simple and it is a very solid valk. I didn't have a fear of breaking anything when handling it.

The heatshield also locks in very nicely once you get the hang of it. So I can add to the members declaring Crisis Over. :)

There is no problem with the heatshield........PERIOD!

The packing foam should be removed and discarded when you get the toy.

Graham

My bad. I read your other post first and I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I had to go back a few pages to get that the issue was resolved.

Man, a guy misses a whole lot over the weekend. I've been a little busy these days. I received mine yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. :(

Also, didn't realise the new Yamato clear display stand was out already!

Graham

Yup I posted it back on page 18 ;)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Just got it yesterday--very nice. Changed modes with ease, heatshield locked--too easy thanks to the post here. Love the Gun Pod and escape pod. Hope for more variants.

--What if the YF- 21 creates a downward thrust...

...yes!

Oh by the way the pilot kind of looks like the same size as a 1/60 scale VF 1 DYRL pilot. Might try a swap tonight. Isamu's flight suit colors are my fav'

so far so good but everyone could be suffering from new valk syndrome. i'm still waiting a good month or so before throwing down the cash....who knows when the reports of broken limbs will be rolling in?

this will be my first toy purchase of any kind in a long while and probably my last. i don't care much for the frontier toys and yamato can keep all their repaints. i actually have the valks that a grew up wanting so i'm pretty much done with this expensive ass hobby.

Masterfully done Miriya! :lol:

I wish I could take credit for that pic. It is from Gamu Toys. Sorry, I should have put a credit line.

I also wish that I had a Yamato YF-21 and a VF-11, because currently I do not.

I do have the GNU YF-21 and a still unbuilt recast Tanmen SD YF-21 though. Someday I will build it. I have started.

Sweet, 1 day in customs and now my new joy is here.

If anyone out there is afraid of the heat shield... seriously much ado about nothing, pops up and stay up easily.

And the new elbow design, with the slight side to side articulation, Fraking sweet!

Edited by eugimon

Just wanted to add that isamu's VF 11 rescuing guld's YF 21 is one of the best scenes ever. Right next to Top Gun when Maverick helps Cougar make that carrier landing.

Just got mine today, and I have to say, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!!! The transformation is quite smooth, and the heatshield isn't an issue. All I will say is that the damn bottom part of the heatshield is very hard to put up while the pod/cockpit is still inside. Also, the rear landing gear seem very low to the ground. Aside from those little issues (which really aren't an issue), it's a fantastic toy. The magnets of the leg armor are very strong, and the fastpacks attach very firmly. Awesome toy, and I'm gonna enjoy playing with this thing for a good while.

Is there also a trick to getting the cockpit secure? I can get it to stay in place, even upside down, but I'm not satisfied with how it sits. It looks a little off, and the slightest touch can knock it out of place again. I'd really rather it was a solid piece of the fighter than removeable. Unless, of course, there is a way to lock it in place nicely and I've simply overlooked it.

I love this toy. The sculpt is awesome in all three modes, transformation is easy, it locks together well & has good poseability. This is the VF-11B toy I've been waiting 15 years for! Now bring on the VF-11C.

Gotta love this one...

In case people didn't realize, this is from the second page of the gamu review: http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/vf11b/02.html

Has a couple new pics, and wasn't up when I was looking a couple days ago -- just noticed it today when I was scrolling through the page to show a friend the new OBJECT OF MY DESIRE

I love this toy. The sculpt is awesome in all three modes, transformation is easy, it locks together well & has good poseability. This is the VF-11B toy I've been waiting 15 years for! Now bring on the VF-11C.

Has it really been 15 years since Macross Plus... Damn thats eerie!!! But shes a beauty of a Toy, Ordered mine from HLJ.com so soon I will have mine too. can't wait!!