Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

It's sort of funny how a thread about a toy not released yet has been bumped into epic status ^_^

Well the debate over it has certainly been epic! But then this would not be macross world other wise.... :lol:

Alto's needs a second seat too, with Ranka fig. :)

let's just be thankful it has cockpit detail at all. (I'm amazed bandai actually bothered, now if only they had tried on the rest of the thing)

Is there any way we can get the current pics for the toys on this thread? I don't think it should necessarily be relegated to 1st page or anything, but that'd be cool to get the most recent up on here.

Maybe, just maybe, the crotch problem will be magically solved upon release, the landing gear will be less "supermarket trolley-looking", maybe the radome will not droop, maybe the legs won't look like it needs to get new longer trousers... and I will bang my head on the wall for not pre-ordering this chunky. I HONESTLY hope I have a chance to bang my head against the wall! Well, I waited 25 years for a 99% satisfactory VF-1 Roy Focker from Yamato (and still fear the shoulders will crack every time I transform it), maybe another 25 years from now we'll see an more or less accurate, reasonably durable and affordable VF-25?

That's how I feel Regult. I'm glad there are people who like the DX thus far, but just isn't what I was hoping it would be or really what it should have been...looks wise that is. That's what my gripes are about. I too really hope when it is released it does look much better and it was just poor pictures (doubtful, but you never know). Well, maybe some day we'll get a more accurate looking VF-25 in 1/60 scale.

Chris

As G-man sig states, you can't fix ugly.

Some months after the first announcement, all I can say it's just an "acceptable" valk, for that amount of money. But it isn't just the crotch thing or fugly landing gears... it's... more an overall thing.

Watching carefully the pics Graham posted, the time where most of us complained about YF-19's "fat front fuselage syndrome" seems a joke. Bandai's VF-25 seem to suffer from:

- fugly crotch

- fugly fuselage belly

- transformer-ish looklike

- fugly landing gears (more the rear ones than the front)

- fugly (but quite interesting) pose when FP are attached ^_^

- fugly gerwalk mode

- 4 sets of hands... (why? I'm pretty sure bandai knows something about ARTICULATED hands...)

So, overall, it just looks like an acceptable, overpriced valk to me. They should have made it better, 'cos they can. I'm not sure if I will even buy a single of them. For 12K yen, there's a lot of yamato stuff out there...

Dissapointing. Macross Frontier has been a wonderful series, and it's a pity we can't get (now) something better.

Edited by mcpaz

If this was $70-80 then it would be okay but in my opinion this just isn't good enough for a $120 + pricetag.

Fightermode doesn't really look sleek and fast at all. the legs sit too low and the landing gear looks terrible.

Gerwalk is equally terrible and the fact that it looks like you need to spread apart the entire part with the intakes in order to spread the legs.

Battroid is way too fat/bulky and the crotch area bothers me aswell as it looking like it doesn't have any neck.

The colors are great though and swapable hands is good IMO because they make a better grip with the gunpod.

My problems with yamato's YF-19 is nothing compared to this but that may just be me.

I will get one but will wait for Luca's with FP's.

As G-man sig states, you can't fix ugly.

Yeah but you shouldn't have to fix broke either.

- transformer-ish looklike

I call bullsh!t. Check movie starscream from 2007.

- 4 sets of hands... (why? I'm pretty sure bandai knows something about ARTICULATED hands...)

Because articulated hands are not only prone to looseness, but also suffer from either sculpt or scale(sad sh!t that the beloved 1/48 has hands that are the same size as the new 1/60), and hell your beloved Yamato only recently realized that putting a tab to secure the gunpod on the articulated hand would keep the gun from falling out. I think they did this with the 19, and 21 too. Oh and Bandai does know about articulated hands, their MG kits have had them for years, and yes they used the tab for weaponry years back. Are you the same guy that complained when Yamato offered bigger swappable hands with the 1/48 GPS armor or Hikaru's 1J?

Watching carefully the pics Graham posted, the time where most of us complained about YF-19's "fat front fuselage syndrome" seems a joke.

The gullet shouldn't be there pure and simple, it effectively destroys the elegance of the fighter mode. It is worse than the DX VF-25's mega cock of doom. Not to mention, the groin piece on the 19 sits too low, to the point that both the GNU and Revoltech look better, yea it isn't a fair comparison because those don't transform and I understand the reason the crotch and gullet is present is because Yamato wants retractable landing gear bla bla.

For 12K yen, there's a lot of yamato stuff out there...

Yeah the only Macross toys you could afford from Yamato at that price are smaller than the DX VF-25, the 25 is in the same size class as the Macross Plus valks/Zero. OH WAIT. I forgot. Since obviously you are willing to fix broke...add in another $30+ for replacement parts. You can't fix ugly but you can certainly fix broke if you pay up.

Jesus can you imagine how much people in this thread would gripe if Yamato made a VF-1 toy and completely changed where the head is positioned...

Oh, wait...

Heh, there were even more threads when the faulty shoulder issue on the 1/60 v2 VF-1S was brought up.

Anyways, I hope Ozma's head lasers are on ball joints, it looks better when the lasers are angled out. I hope we hear more news on the heavy armor too.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Strange that Shin Dansetsu Kai 7.0 keeps mentioning the Y brand when Señor mcpaz didn't really do so. (yes, he did say YF-19, but I don't see much Y brand praising really).

As I said, and repeat, I honestly wished the DX toy and the plastic model, both from BANDAI, would look just a bit more similar...that the issues I mentioned on the DX (which are examples of what bothers me overall aka "fugly") would be magically erased when I stumble upon it in a shop somewhere, or when MWers tell me "Hey, the samples shown were crap, the DX is AWESOME!!" Then I would gladly go to the nearest wall and bang my head on it three times and curse myself for not having pre-ordered it.

There are some weeks to go, let's see (I doubt, though...sad)

*edit: almost forgot about Starscream! Yes, the movie CG was cool, but the toys?? I think that's what we were talking about, unless there is a "full transformation" version out there that is "CG-accurate"???

Edited by regult

hello Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I think you have been way too yamatoed in the bad way

Just concentrate your attention to the current design and

then you will admit that the pictures shown so far do not represent a kick asssssss release on the VF-25

this explains the complains

toys that we are looking for are collectors items and some of them are fragile on the design side but with care they last long

At the end of the day if the toy looks accurate for display : YOU R HAPPY !!!!!

I wonder if the stands will be included with Alto and Ozma.

You know what I want?

I want Mikhael's VF-25 with Ranka figure in cute dress - able to stand in cock pit .

I also want lights and sounds.

I want to press a button on the VF-25 and hear Ranka sing her song to calm the Zendradi.

And I want rainbow colored lights to flash all over the Valkyrie as she does so.

I doesn't have to come with a stand as long as it comes with custom-Ranka Lee stage.

And finally - lots and lots of glitter.

Make it with lots of glitter.

That would be sweeeet :)

Pete

i like what i see. partly because i love the design and partly because i'm completely obsessed with frontier right now. i haven't bought any yammies since my super floppy yf-19 and exploding vf-0s, so that's fueling the need for something new as well. if bandai comes through on the QC, i'll buy every last one.

uh.. there's no new news here, right? Graham kindly copied over the old pix, and everyone else is copying over their old complaints. Guys, we remember that you hate it. Seriously. Wait til the next round of pictures to start the next round of bitching, please. :rolleyes:

sorry, but we have to keep bringing up the same old s**t, it's like slavery or the holocaust, we have to keep bringing it up so that you never forget.

seriously though, even without a neck, the head on the 25S looks a hell of a lot better on this than on the 1/72 kit.

seriously though, even without a neck, the head on the 25S looks a hell of a lot better on this than on the 1/72 kit.

Every time I see these 1/60 DXs, they look sturdy to me. Hearing the musings from the 1/72 model thread, and I wonder why people are treating a display piece like a freakin toy. The 1/60 is a freakin toy.

where is my neck???

I'm sure the head just isn't pulled up all the way. My only gripe is the hip placement, long ankles (probably don't have to pull it all the way out) and the hinge on the shin. Besides that I think it looks pretty good.

I too wish for a magical fix of everything when released. Lol.

Yeah but you shouldn't have to fix broke either.

Sooo true... I also have the annoying tendence of expecting the most for my money, so I won't justify Yamato, which is not perfect (but IS better, keeping in mind the pictures shown).

I call bullsh!t. Check movie starscream from 2007.

100% agree. Period.

Because articulated hands are not only prone to looseness, but also suffer from either sculpt or scale(sad sh!t that the beloved 1/48 has hands that are the same size as the new 1/60), and hell your beloved Yamato only recently realized that putting a tab to secure the gunpod on the articulated hand would keep the gun from falling out. I think they did this with the 19, and 21 too. Oh and Bandai does know about articulated hands, their MG kits have had them for years, and yes they used the tab for weaponry years back. Are you the same guy that complained when Yamato offered bigger swappable hands with the 1/48 GPS armor or Hikaru's 1J?

Nope, I am not that guy. Actually, I pretty much love the extra "soft and GUNPOD-fall-aware" hands on my 1/48 VF-1J. And I like them because they are VERY DIFFERENT from "standard" hands. Bandai has included 4 sets of very similar hands. It's their way of doing things; it's correct, and has its reasons. But I don't like it.

Yeah the only Macross toys you could afford from Yamato at that price are smaller than the DX VF-25, the 25 is in the same size class as the Macross Plus valks/Zero. OH WAIT. I forgot. Since obviously you are willing to fix broke...add in another $30+ for replacement parts. You can't fix ugly but you can certainly fix broke if you pay up.

Mmmm... not so simple (I wish it was, since I am a very simple lifeform... powered only by a 2-bit cpu...) I just put it this way: even thoguh Yammies are far from perfect, I'm used to "fine tune" them at home to make them better. Examples of this are the "7 steps (and more)" in retooling the original vf-11b, retouching the original vf-1a CF, cutting some sprue rests on 1/48 VF-1J, fixing screws on VF-0S, SV-51 Nora, retooling YF-19 and its FAST packs to correct ver.1 issues...

I won't justify that, please believe me. After all, is a pain in the ass having to work on a toy which costs such an amount of money, assuming risks of even breaking it! But at the end of the day, it is more a toy of yours...

What really IS a fact, is that Bandai could have done it much, much better. That is what bothers me. Yamato pushes 110%, takes risks and innovates, but suffers from QC issues. Bandai doesn't seem to go that far pushing (but they can be far better!!). These toys simply don't deserve the DX title.

I suppose the big thing with yamato, and how I always saw them, is they are a company that make models, that can be mistaken for toys. You can transform them and play with them, in the same way I can play with a model if it is sturdy enough after construction. But in the end it was intended to sit there and look pretty. Bandai is making a toy that can be potentially confused for a model. However, like a toy the plastic it is constructed from is tad thicker so parts that might have been thin on a model are beefed up for the sake of sturdiness over beauty, the joints are larger for the same reasons. As a person that just likes transforming robot toys at least one of these looks like a fine addition to my collection. I'd probably wait for the armored sets though, and reviews.

I can understand why people who really want fineness of detail over sturdiness are not happy with this toy. For me however, if Bandai started producing toys of the VF-1 and other such toys on the same level as this current offering, yes, even with the idea that some fineness of detail is lost and some proportions are off, I'd probably choose them over Yamato's offering for the primary reason that as toys they'd just seem more inviting when it comes to their play value. I like to transform my transforming robot toys, I'm not rough with them, but I like collectible robot toys biased toward playability not displayablity. That's not to say I want an ugly toy that looks nothing like the line art. I am just willing to accept some asthetic compromises for the sake of sturdiness.

Well the landing gear sure reminds me of a 80's pull back and watch it roll foward (fighter or even a tranny) toy. :p

Maybe bandai should have included that in their DX 25 design, maybe also one of them rip'n'zip cords where

you place it up the arse of the 25 and rip it out and it ZOOMS forward at lightning speed! Hey just like in the anime KEWL!

Kids will be like " KUUUN! KUUUN! KUUN! KUUuN! "

hah hah hah :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I suppose the big thing with yamato, and how I always saw them, is they are a company that make models, that can be mistaken for toys. You can transform them and play with them, in the same way I can play with a model if it is sturdy enough after construction. But in the end it was intended to sit there and look pretty. Bandai is making a toy that can be potentially confused for a model. However, like a toy the plastic it is constructed from is tad thicker so parts that might have been thin on a model are beefed up for the sake of sturdiness over beauty, the joints are larger for the same reasons. As a person that just likes transforming robot toys at least one of these looks like a fine addition to my collection. I'd probably wait for the armored sets though, and reviews.

I can understand why people who really want fineness of detail over sturdiness are not happy with this toy. For me however, if Bandai started producing toys of the VF-1 and other such toys on the same level as this current offering, yes, even with the idea that some fineness of detail is lost and some proportions are off, I'd probably choose them over Yamato's offering for the primary reason that as toys they'd just seem more inviting when it comes to their play value. I like to transform my transforming robot toys, I'm not rough with them, but I like collectible robot toys biased toward playability not displayablity. That's not to say I want an ugly toy that looks nothing like the line art. I am just willing to accept some asthetic compromises for the sake of sturdiness.

Just wait when pro Yamato members get wind of first release QC DX VF-25 blunders. Oh the sh^t fight will commence! (fun reading anyways)

Does Bandai have their own warehouse/s in China (with higher paid workers perhaps?)

for producing these separate from the ones that Yamato uses?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Well for the price/size ratio they are certainly much cheaper than Yamato (which cost 50% more), and have better resell value than Yamatos (currently the "Chunky Monkey" sold for higher value than Yamato V1s on ebay, of course partly due to the missing gun clip that is common for the 2nd hand G1 Jetfire. Which some of buyer are substitute it, you can sell for well over $100 for complete Jetfire)

I for one won't tolerate on QC for the ridiculous amount of money I paid for the toy, so QC is pretty much main concern for me, and of course the fun factor, if a toy is not fun then it is not a toy IMHO, if you want to show the model there is always model kit available in various form.

Edited by ntsan