Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

Give me a QC riddled, but accurate Yammy any day!

(honestly I have yet to encounter any QC issues with my Yammies. To me the whole thing is blown completely out of proportion.)

you would think that, until you personally have an arm snap off of your $200+ toy <_<

anyway's I'm still holding out hope that it'll look better once it's actualy painted and not all floppy.

bright side is I can get two 1/72's with action bases for the price of the second alto I'm not getting. (damnit jumping on the band waggon :angry: at least I'm not getting another VF-1)

Its a shame to see that this is the very best Bandai could do.... I'll just save up for more 1/72 scale models of the VF-25 and wait for my VF-11B 1/60 from Yamato to come out, will be worth the wait & accuracy I'm sure!!

Yikes.

Good thing for me I wasn't planning on getting a 25, anyway. I'm deeply sorry for everyone who was anticipating this, though. My condolences.

Really makes you appreciate the last few 1/60 Yamatos, huh?

Thank you..

*sighs*

Must wait for reviews... must wait for reviews... must wait for reviews...

It would have been my first valk, probably not the best choice, maybe I should just go and get one of the new 1/60 Yamato VF-1s as my first. At least I know it will look good.

I'm not giving up on the 25 just yet, people don't get to say 'I told you so' until the final thing is in stores and then it turns out bad. I really like the 25 in the show, so I have to give it a chance. Till December then.

I think I will cancel my preorder for alto's DX. Especially since the model looks so good. I will probably also get Ozma's 1/72 kit and hopefully they will make the supers and armors and the recon Luca version too in that line as I am giving up all hope for the 1/60 DX line now. It is looking cheap, with bad proportions, and uneven fits. Too bad.

Thanks for the clarification Priss.

I'm not canceling my pre-order, but based on those 5 new photos (I hope that is what everyone else is referring to) on the first page, battroid and gerwalk look ok but not that great. The shoulders look a bit weird though... maybe it's how they were posed. I am a bit disapointed at the fighter mode. The fighter does look chunky! Also, the front landing gear seems to be a bit too low.

The non-colored photographs (which I guess represent the absolute latest prototype) could be skewing my perception though. Hopefully they refine it further before December. <_<

Edited by Ghost Train

Looks like the DX is going for a more balanced appearance. Some have complained about the landing gear being too short, I think on the kit it is too long.

Vifam's translation says this the 1st testshot with more refinement to come. Bandai is a bigger company that can afford the refinements, so there is a good chance that what we see here is not indicative of the final toy.

Looks like the DX is going for a more balanced appearance. Some have complained about the landing gear being too short, I think on the kit it is too long.

Vifam's translation says this the 1st testshot with more refinement to come. Bandai is a bigger company that can afford the refinements, so there is a good chance that what we see here is not indicative of the final toy.

We can only continue to hope. I shall wait as always.. but the Ozma 1/72 model is looking really good right now.

you would think that, until you personally have an arm snap off of your $200+ toy <_<

anyway's I'm still holding out hope that it'll look better once it's actualy painted and not all floppy.

bright side is I can get two 1/72's with action bases for the price of the second alto I'm not getting. (damnit jumping on the band waggon :angry: at least I'm not getting another VF-1)

I've had 3 pairs of arms snap off and I still prefer fragile to fugly. At the end of the day, you can fix a broken arm (even if it ends up costing 15 dollars an arm plus shipping) but you can't fix ugly.

Anyways, I'd rather have a serving of crow along with some shiny and beautiful VF-25's... so I'll still hope that Shin is right and Bandai will pull off a zero hour miracle.

Edited by eugimon

Good thing for me I wasn't planning on getting a 25, anyway. I'm deeply sorry for everyone who was anticipating this, though. My condolences.

See, this is a how a real fan reacts when other fans are disappointed in a toy. Not with ridicule and complaints about complaints, but with comisseration and empathy.

The text says they're still working on the molds so it seems nothing is definite yet. The text also mentions that there are build errors on the test shot model and readers should take note of that.

There's still 3 months to go so there's still time for fixes. To me, the December release date doesn't even seem definite/likely right now.

The text says they're still working on the molds so it seems nothing is definite yet. The text also mentions that there are build errors on the test shot model and readers should take note of that.

It just shows off what will be diecast. Also, I'm pretty sure that the test shot lacks certain parts required to make the joints stiff enough (check out the ankle joints and the feet - they sag. Bandai's good at making ball joints that don't sag) and perhaps springs required for the transformation.

So the thing to keep in mind here is :

1st testshot

Ok folks, I've already expressed my dissatisfaction over this toy, but I still want Macross F to do good and possibly come back for a 2nd season. So lets break out our wallets, and support Macross F in a different way. Buy the models and anything else you can get your hands on! :lol:

In all honesty I'll still purchase Alto and Ozma's VF-25's since I like to keep all my VF's in scale.

I doubt that Kawamori will allow them to be released looking that F'ed up. It's just not good for business.

In all honesty I'll still purchase Alto and Ozma's VF-25's since I like to keep all my VF's in scale.

I doubt that Kawamori will allow them to be released looking that F'ed up. It's just not good for business.

Knowing how it was all on him that the head design was different from the anime, and that he has retconned designs that both Yamato and Bandai have worked on, I would not be surprised. Its like Yamato is working on the new VF-11, and he decides to retcon the size. Then Bandai starts working on the VF-25, then Kawamori decides he wants the head to be different.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is retcon and retconned?

Basically fiddling with continuity. For example with the head design for the VF-25, the DX head sculpt is different from the animation model, due to Kawamori's requested changes. We can say Kawamori retconned the head design. If there is ever an artbook for Macross F we will probably see the differences laid out between the animation model, and what Kawamori truly sees as canon. Basically he has final say, these are his babies.

Looking at the new photos, it doesn't seem like this one is different from the grey one shown last month. Nonetheless I still think we will see more refinements. The front landing gear should be a little longer but nothing close to the model kit, which have gears that are far too long. The landing gear in the anime are portrayed differently, I hope Kawamori requests a more balanced look for the gear, instead of the tall model kit versions, and the current short ones on the toy.

I want a VF-25, but it's looking like I'll probably be waiting at least a few years until Yamato may be able to get a shot at it, IF EVER. Hopefully Bandai will be able to fix it up to look good, but so far it still looks like a chunky piece of poo. Bandai can do better than this.

I want a VF-25, but it's looking like I'll probably be waiting at least a few years until Yamato may be able to get a shot at it, IF EVER. Hopefully Bandai will be able to fix it up to look good, but so far it still looks like a chunky piece of poo. Bandai can do better than this.

I find it interesting that everyone's looking forward to the Yamato version, even though one will NEVER COME OUT. seriously fokes, it aint gonna happen, just move along.

...and get rid of the gigantic launch bars on the nosegear. I have yet to see one in the anime.

QFT. Seriously people.. yeah.. we need a catapult to launch the planes... in space.<_<

The YF-19 I understood, it was for atmospheric service. Now, granted, the VF-25 looks like it could fly in atmosphere too, so I guess that's the justification (even though we haven't seen a sea-based carrier since SDFM). Space is much simpler.. sheesh, turn off the gravity, and you can launch them with a slingshot. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

I find it interesting that everyone's looking forward to the Yamato version, even though one will NEVER COME OUT. seriously fokes, it aint gonna happen, just move along.

For years people said that Macross toys would never be revisited and updated. For years people said that Macross Plus toys would never be made. For the longest time people kept saying newer Enemy mecha toys would never be made. Well those "never"s turned out to be BS. I waited over a decade for a good version of the YF-19 and YF-21 to come out, having skipped on the original Yamato releases. There are not just one, but three newer updated versions of the VF-1.

While Macross 7 doesn't have very many valkyries that can be repainted to pay for the cost of making toys, Macross Frontier sure as hell does. If Bandai releases its stranglehold on the license sometime down the line, then maybe we could get Macross Frontier toys from Yamato (or another company) down the line.

I look forward to the possibility of a better VF-25 toy being made down the line by another company, or maybe even by Bandai.

If you've been a Macross fan for a while, than if anything you know patience.

I'll wait to see how the finished product looks, but what Bandai has been showing off is beneath what they are capable of. If they decided to make it chunky, oddly proportioned, and ugly to have a chogokin feel to it, great for them! I'll go buy a 1/60 VF-11B or a 1/60 VF-1A v2 from Yamato, while Bandai can keep their chunky funky looking VF-25.

There's still 3 months to go so there's still time for fixes. To me, the December release date doesn't even seem definite/likely right now.

Even with CAD CAM, the first test shots always have tollerance issues resulting in loose or poor parts fitting. It usully takes about 4 generations of refiniments from the first test shot to get things to a standard acceptable for production.

Graham

Heh, I don't want to say "I told you so" just yet, but thinking back to when it was first announced that Bandai had the toy licence and the Bandai fans were all like "Bandai's gonna kick Yamato's ass with their superior design. Bandai is so great....blah...SOC....blah....Gundam.......Blah........Blah...etc!

And look what we get.

Mwahahahaha!

But seriously, I really wanted them to make a nice looking VF-25 and they did it with the 1/72 model kit, but failed miserably so far with the 1/60 toy IMO.

Well, they have 3 months to redeem themselves. Lets hope they use the time wisely.

Graham

If people are liking the vf-25 1/72 model made by Bandai, then i know Bandai can make the right toy as well. Lets wait and see the final version. As well, maybe by the time they come with the boosters and fps, then they will have perfected it and it will be good. So lets not jump the guns too fast.