More Shadow Force news

But I do agree... the Sentinel designs aren't great, primarily because they look like they're trying to rip off cliches-- devils, amazons, magicians, and bears, oh my-- rather than present gear and attire that's disturbingly alien or odd, even if the aliens themselves are physically pretty much human.

-Al

334638[/snapback]

2 of the really great aliens from the sentinels :lol:

post-2177-1128644134.gif

post-2177-1128644142_thumb.gif

Edited by valk1j

But I do agree... the Sentinel designs aren't great, primarily because they look like they're trying to rip off cliches-- devils, amazons, magicians, and bears, oh my-- rather than present gear and attire that's disturbingly alien or odd, even if the aliens themselves are physically pretty much human.

-Al

334638[/snapback]

2 of the really great aliens from the sentinels :lol:

334642[/snapback]

That's them. I would have talked the big furry thing but I couldn't find the words to describe a giant, smiling, teddy bear with guns....

I can't believe they kept these designs for the around. This does not look good for the DVD. If the sentinels are in it, it won't sell. They look comical, who thinks they were a good idea. HG just has to use everything no matter how stupid. There isn't any creativity at all with anything they do. I can guarantee there will be no new mecha in the DVD, just rehashes of everything from before.

WTF is this?

First I couldn't stop laughing.

But then I was really sad thinking about the consequences for the adult fan :(

On the cover it should read:

Ages 10&down

!WARNING

Permanent emotional pain, hurt and disappointment

Not for children above 8 years

Again, WTF is this?

post-557-1128648079.jpg

post-557-1128648101.jpg

WTF is this?

But then I was really sad thinking about the consequences for the adult fan 

Ages 10&down

!WARNING

Again, WTF is this?

Damn furries and larpers are ruining everything

Edited by Father Jack

Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles review

The Good

- The United Earth Expeditionary Force, as per General Reinhardt's comments, didn't arrive at Tirol right away as in the original conception of The Sentinels, thus removing a massive continuity hole.

- The Wolfe flashback semi-rigid armour from Eulogy is in use, removing a technical continuity violation.

- The United Earth Expeditionary Force still has at least 1 surviving Tristar-class Cruiser Leader and the first ship of the Tokugawa-class Super Carrier line still in service. This was a minor bone to the Southern Cross fans, and nicely done, considering how much crap we've taken.

- General Edward's stolen ship appears to be based partially on the Tristar-class, as there is no direct Mospeada influence on the hull design. She's also almost pure warship, which denotes Southern Cross heritage.

- The Sentinels got a major facelift (well, except for the Perytonian Coneheads and Spherisians), the best of the bunch being the Haydonites who now have a Kosh of Babylon 5-vibe. That at least falls into line of their being a servitor race to an ancient race. Thankfully the Praxians no longer appear to be amazon chicks with serious thyroid/silicone enhancement problems.

- The 'main' characters got a facelift, the best being Jack Baker. Second best is for Lisa Hayes.

- The mainline uniform is based on the Colonel Wolfe flashback uniform from Eulogy, instead of the goofy half-Southern Cross spandex. The Mars Base uniform also appears, partially fused with the Wolfe uniform as well as slightly with Major Carpenter's Pioneer Mission uniform from Outsiders. Whats more, this new uniform style more closely matches a pattern 'ancestor' with the UEF Southern Cross uniform, so you can almost see where they both emerged from.

- Lisa calls for raising the shields of the SDF-3, bearing out the dialogue from Outsiders when Major Carpenter's aid told him their shields were completely down. Whats more, its not a Pin-Point Barrier, so no 'copyright' issue.

- The colour pallete for the comic is wonderful, probably the best ever for a Robotech comic, though arguably the best artwork overall was Fred Perry's Rolling Thunder from Antarctic Press.

The Bad

- Invid still have the goofy Scorpion warship, which is a flagrant continuity violation in addition to being totally retarded, up there with a transforming warship that holds a gun. It gets the award for being most stupid in my opinion.

- Invid Inorganics still exist, despite proof of kinship with Bioroids. Also a major continuity violation. They should be Tirolian police drone mecha.

- Shadow Technology is now a product of Invid science, which comes completely out of left field. Not only is this a major technical continuity violation, it makes no sense whatsoever. The one species shown to possess stealth and protoculture sensing technology from the very begining were the Robotech Masters, implying the Invid on Earth acquired their protoculture targeting sensors from fallen Tirolian tech.

- When Edwards is making his escape, the Shadow Fighters he deploys use an active stealth system (Im guessing) eventhough the Shadow Tech supposedly (as per comic book dialogue) shields the energy signature of the fighter. The active stealth is correct (the Invid have more then protoculture sensors in Robotech), but the dialogue in the comic blows holes in this.

- The SDF-3 (which Ive heard one person refer to as 'The Space Turd') is still wrapped up in the exoskeleton of a Zentraedi battlecruiser. Why? Whats more, she was a contemporary of the UEF battle fleet, so she should have design similarities to the Tokugawa-class Super Carriers, Tristar-class Cruiser Leaders, Ardennes-class Battlecruisers and Nelson-class Destroyers. In other words, she should look like a ship from Southern Cross.

The Ugly

- Lisa Hayes, at least 57 yrs of age, is just now getting pregnant? WTF?

- Edwards looks like Bizarro from Superman, as observed by Rtsurfer a while back. I expected him to demand a 'Utility Belt to defeat the Superfriends with!'

- Rick Hunter now has a serious juicing habit. He looks like fragging Sammy Sossa.

- The goofy Haydonite Spacesuit was retained. Why?

- The Invid Brain, despite the fact its referred to as a Protoculture Sensor in The Fortress, and obviously a reverse engineered design of the Masters' Living Protoculture from Dana in Wonderland, still sits there burbling in its tank. One wonders how Edwards managed to get it to talk about anything.

- The industrial planet of Karbarra is now rebuilding/refitting the Expeditionary Fleet, eventhough the UEEF has access to at least a partially refurbished Little Luna (The Factory Satellite) as well as the four pods cutaway from the main: Space Station Liberty (Earth-Sun L5 orbit) and the three as yet unnamed Space Station's that all resemble what was referred to as the Robotech Repair Factory.

- Rick Hunter's need to blow up the Earth with the Neutron-S Missiles has now been established, and its completely contrived. The slow burn to Darth Vader makes more sense as opposed to the cliched Revenge of the Sith version. Whats more, its apparent they Expeditionary Force didn't have any of them with them, which is an apparent dialogue continuity violation because its for damn sure logical that these were the cruisers being built on the Factory Satellite Exedore refers to in Viva Miriya.

- Exedore now looks like a midget Robotech Fleet Commander.

- Lang is still f*cking designing stuff. Who the f*ck ever heard of one person being able to match or exceed the capacity of dozens of military-industrial design firms or think-tanks? Yes, he designed the Reflex Furnace, big honkin deal. This is crap from the novels that made no sense to begin with and was retained needlessly. Whats more, Lang should be pushing up daisies or close to it. He would be 70.

Notes:

- Max and Miriya are not present. Could be, as some speculated, they took command of the division at Point K on Earth. It would bear out since Scott says in Enter Marlene that the leaders were hand picked by Admiral Hunter.

- The UES Tokugawa's refit added at least 2 Alpha Quicklaunch bay and Ikazuchi-style sponsons with extra reaction engines. The improved engine block should make performance over the old design quite interesting. My guess is the Quicklaunch bays are double size considering the Tokugawa's are 1120m. That should put her fighter complement at about 1100, give or take.

- Jack Baker is now Wolf Leader, referring not to Wolfe's Pack (from Eulogy) but Wolf Team (from Boobytrap). Whats more, his Alpha-Beta combo is in Jack Archer's colour scheme. Sadly, there was no Squadron Insignia. Baker also appears to be the CAG of the SDF-3.

Overall, not very satisfying and certainly an absolute continuity nightmare.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

WTF is this?

But then I was really sad thinking about the consequences for the adult fan :(

Ages 10&down

!WARNING

Again, WTF is this?

334675[/snapback]

THOSE are the Sentinels? Gawd, I'm glad I missed out on the abortive TV series...

Is it me, or does one of those jokers look like George Washington?

Edited by Pat Payne

WTF is this? Again, WTF is this?

334675[/snapback]

From left to right: Perytonian (mutant conehead devils), Garudan (they're vulpines who live in something equivalent to the Australian Aborgines DreamTime), Haydonite (servitor androids to the ancient Haydon species), Spherisian (living crystals), Praxian (baseline human Amazon warrior race) and in the back is a Karbarran (ursinoids who are the second most advanced spacefarers among The Sentinel races).

They look better than they originally did, except for the Perytonians.

So does this all mean that my Jack McKinney novels and Eternity comics are canon again? Woot! :rolleyes:

It's funny, after all these years of bitching and moaning about all the problems with the Sentinels, HG has plowed ahead and kept it all intact, and the fans seem (for the most part) to be accepting it.

Meh. That's the extent of my reaction to the comic, just meh. I don't understand Robotech fan's blind acceptance of a storyline that, instead of tying up loose ends, actually creates further plot inconsistencies. I also don't comprehend the vitriolic hatred leveled against this product and the single minded pursuit to criticize everything about it.

The artwork is leagues better than that of the Sentinels comics, and the redesign of most of the Sentinels aliens is a marked improvement; but Rick, Lisa, et. al. don't share even a passing resemblance to their former selves.

As for their ages, it appears that the writers and illustrators have missed an opportunity to explain their apparent youth in terms of the time dilation effect caused by the fold to Fantoma space on the opposite side of the Galaxy from the Sol system. In the original Macross episode where Rick, Lisa, Max, and Ben are capture by the Zentradi and transported to Dolza's fleet and then hitch a ride back, Lisa makes mention of the discrepancies of time flow (time passes slower in fold space in relation to normal space), and the distance and time in fold to the Southern Cross constellation could have been much longer than that stint. That way, They could have aged 5-10 years, for example, while Earth would have seen 30-40+ years go by.

If I ever see the full set of comics on sale for less than $.50 a piece on Ebay I may buy them to see what all the fuss, good and bad, is all about, but I won't go out of my what to get them.

Edited by mechaninac

I bought the comic and the purple Alpha Fighter on the cover does NOT belong an all hottie female squadron!!! :angry::( Very disappointing...

Also since when did an Alpha in guradian mode could link up to a Beta? Did anybody question that part too?

And it looks like they based the Alpha Fighter artwork on Toynami's MPCs, so the Alphas don't look as great like in the Sentinels comics. Good thing I didnt pay full price for it.

Edited by Osean

The ONLY thing that could save a series with as convoluted and disaturous or a plot as this would be a really big sweet awesome mecha battle every single issue that took up more pages than the dialog... and it doesn't sound like we'll be getting this either...

Sometimes you just gotta wonder why they even bother.... With the entire Sentinels series scrapped from canon and like fifteen years to think about it one would think that the RT folks coulda devised a story devoid of huge plot conflicts... but no. Maybe, MAYBE, they do have some plot tricks up there sleeves to smooth things out but to not include a recap of the history they have altered to let the reader know what's happening is downright inexcusable. You've made everything not canon.... so explain what the heck now is supposed to have happened! Lord. I'm not even anti-RT but c'mon! I just hope whatever happens in this comic isn't reflected in the series so I can continue to ignore everything outside of what is just shown on screen.

Edit - when i say "explain everything" i'm not just refering to what's supposed to have happened with The Sentinels but rather a recap that goes all the way back to the very beginng. Sum up RT up until the REF left, then what has happened to the REF, then begin the story.

Edited by jenius

I bought the comic and the purple Alpha Fighter on the cover does NOT belong an all hottie female squadron!!!  :angry:  :( Very disappointing...

Also since when did an Alpha in guradian mode could link up to a Beta? Did anybody question that part too?

And it looks like they based the Alpha Fighter artwork on Toynami's MPCs, so the Alphas don't look as great like in the Sentinels comics. Good thing I didnt pay full price for it.

334897[/snapback]

Apart from having the re-direct the ...uh... groin thruster at the last second, no different to attach in Armo-Diver than Armo-Fighter.

The one saving grace for me of the old Sentinels comics was the Waltrips copying series line art, where most other RT comic and RPG artists have opted for using 3D models ie toys leading to stuff like Stubby Gakken Alpha Toe and VF-1 Superposable SuperKnees :(

I just love the flip flopping that has gone on.

"Sentinels was gay, now we're going to do exo-squad"

"Exo-squad CG like show with no transforming mecha & a C3P0 clone wa gay, now we're going to do something different again"

"Writing is hard, let's just do the Sentinels again, maybe everyone forgot how gay it was."

"Exo-squad CG like show with no transforming mecha & a C3P0 clone wa gay, now we're going to do something different again"

"Writing is hard, let's just do the Sentinels again, maybe everyone forgot how gay it was."

334984[/snapback]

Er, what? The Exo-Squad animated series had nothing to do with Harmony Gold or Robotech. Only the toys were used as a tie-in...

334984[/snapback]

Er, what? The Exo-Squad animated series had nothing to do with Harmony Gold or Robotech. Only the toys were used as a tie-in...

335232[/snapback]

Yeah I actually liked Exo-Squad.

Actually, it's no secret the creators of Exo-Squad were BIG Robotech fans and drew alot of inspiratiosn and ideas from it (hence the tie -ins).

Actually, it's no secret the creators of Exo-Squad were BIG Robotech fans and drew alot of inspiratiosn and ideas from it (hence the tie -ins).

335248[/snapback]

So just like the people currently doing ShadowForce, it's just fanfic with a toyline?

lol.

Not to speak for Keith, but I thought he was talking about Robotech 3000 and not Exo Squad. You know, HG's other Robotech abortion, the one they were going to pattern after Exo Suad with no transforming mecha.

Christ! Why do I know this stuff?! I feel unclean...

335248[/snapback]

So that's why the badguys in the few episodes I saw looked like zentradi.

335248[/snapback]

Obviously, but Keith was seemingly implying that HG had some hand in the production of Exo-Squad.

Not to speak for Keith, but I thought he was talking about Robotech 3000 and not Exo Squad. You know, HG's other Robotech abortion, the one they were going to pattern after Exo Suad with no transforming mecha.

That's a pretty big mistake to make. If so, Keith needs to work on his trolling skills as he's clearly slipping.