More Shadow Force news

Doesn't it strike anyone funny that it's already November and for something that was promised to come out this year, this is still that far in pre production?  Isn't this to come out for the 20th Anniversary of Robotech?

I guess it shouldn't strike anyone funny, since it's so typical.

Where the hell is MGREXX anyway?  Don't tell me he finally bitched out on us.  What a little weasel.

343322[/snapback]

Word is January EXO...what year is still in debate... <_< I am thinking a good bet would be 2040, to commerate the actual events of the series.

MCOCK is lurking for sure...he always does. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zor Primus

World is that the release date will coside with the final issue of the Prolouge comic to Shadow Chronicles in early Janurary. Each issue of the comics by Wildstorm give some sort of information of behind the scenes production.

I can't remember if its a 5 or 6 issue series like usual....they're already up to 2.

The solicit for final issue claims Janurary for the movie, but that's a comic solicit published in advance and it's worth pointing out that Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles was originally intended to be released basically one issue a week or so in November to lead directly in, but then it was expanded out as the release of movie was pushed back so nothing stopping it being pushed back again.

I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to scroll back through the 40 some pages of arguing and tripe... so can anyone answer me these two questions:

Has this series been "picked up" by a network? Usually things that are supposed to be coming out in... oh... three months already have a network assignment and said network most likely is already doing print and media hype for the show. I've seen nothing so... what's the deal? Is this thing going direct to video or something?

I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to scroll back through the 40 some pages of arguing and tripe... so can anyone answer me these two questions:

Has this series been "picked up" by a network? Usually things that are supposed to be coming out in... oh... three months already have a network assignment and said network most likely is already doing print and media hype for the show. I've seen nothing so... what's the deal? Is this thing going direct to video or something?

343447[/snapback]

Direct to DVD as a movie first. Then I 'm assuming based on DVD sales the broadcast rights will get sold and it will go into production as a tv series.

I've also heard that it may also end up being a series of OVAs if they (HG) don't get the TV 'deal' they are looking for.

Ah so.

Well IMHO they will not get a TV deal then. Unless they have an "in" with Toonami or something it does not sound like they have their sh!t together enough to keep up with a prime network demand... plus they would need to field a ton of toys for kids to keep the show afloat on a network spot, after all kid's TV is just toy commercials these days.

My guess is they will field a rushed, half-baked DVD release... ten months behind schedule... followed up by other direct to DVD releases... also ten months behind schedule... which will promptly be bought by one or two hardcore fans and then relegated to bargin bins just like all their toys, video games and other merchandise. I mean, everywhere I go right now I see RT DVDs languishing on shelves... unloved... unpurchased. I almost feel sorry for them.

The fact you do see their DVDs on shelves actually speaks volumes for their ability to get their product out there. They also do seem to have some ties to cable networks. They've been on Cartoon Network, the Sci Fi channel, and now the Anime Network (does anyone have that/). Are those networks all owned by Turner or something? Anyway, speculation is silly at this point seeing as patience will lend results in (supposedly) only a couple months.

Since I do like to be silly, I'd bet it makes an Adult Swim spot.

The fact you do see their DVDs on shelves actually speaks volumes for their ability to get their product out there.

343467[/snapback]

Not when it's rotting. Everywhere I see RT DVD sets they are the same sets that have been there for months. The way I know is the shelf wear on the packages. And when I go to the local game emporium that deals in used DVDs they have almost an entire shelf dedicated to used copies of RT... and they all sit there. The rest of the anime stuff seems to have a normal "churn" cycle to it but the RT stuff just sits there. They never sell the old and never get any new.

As for speculation that is all we have to go on right now... people speculate about everything... and based on people's speculations is what gets shows like this on the air.

If that clip shown a few posts back in this thread is their "couple months out" work... I really do not want to see the final product. As others have said the cel stuff looks OK at best but the CG looks very unfinished and clashes terribly with the cel work. I've seen a lot of production and pre-production CG reels in my time and that last clip is FAR from done.

Unless that is actually the look they are going for... which would look terrible. They have many, many months... possibly even another year... ahead of them before this turkey is done baking.

What confuses me is if that is not the "final render quality" of the show then what actually is the final render quality of the show? You'd think they'd be pimping images of that all over the place... with a deliverable of the first part of first quarter 06 by this point in their schedule they should have their final look all ironed out and it should only be a matter of rendering all the clip sequences and editing them together with some comp work to get it all assembled. Quality effects and content editing for an animated short subject program takes even more time and if they are still shooting for a first quarter release they should be half way done editing now and it should be going into package and pressing by the end of next month to meet their deliverable...

• 2 weeks later...

I had the sad misfortune of actually buying the damned Prelude comic, more for evaluation and ridicule then anything........ really! ;)

It's straight A$$! Unpaided 2nd year college students can draw more consistantly. Doesn't really help that the style looks like a direct rip-off of a certain Marvel artist either! But what's really makes me pissed off it the stuipity that the people who did the CB had!! Why are you drawing a single damned line when EVERYTHING in ShadowForce in already built in 3D!!! It would've taken them only about 10 days to make the damned book and it would've been at a MUCH higher quality and for half the cost.

But then again this IS HarmonyGold. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Shrine auditorium yesterday for the Robotech Shadow Chronicles panel and they showed an updated battle clip from the actual final cut. They say they have the locked print of the film at around 86 minutes. The battle scene looked good with tons of warships in space and alphas flying around. I wasn't digging the voice of the lead though, sounded too young.

Some of the voice actors were there that never showed up for the Robocon event so that was neat. Michael Bradley sang some Yellow Dancer songs and his version of the "We will win" song that was cool.

p.s. they had Kate Beckinsale promoting the Underworld 2 movie as well as Billy Zane & Kristinna Lokken (Terminator 2) for Blood Raye the move...as yes it's as bad as you think.

Tom Bateman still couldn't give an answer as to who is the distributor and when the expected release date is, they still say "to be announced" like they did at the Robocon and at Comic Con.

p.s. they had Kate Beckinsale promoting the Underworld 2 movie as well as Billy Zane & Kristinna Lokken (Terminator 2) for Blood Raye the move...as yes it's as bad as you think.

349876[/snapback]

Underworld 2??

That dog crap of a movie has a sequel??? I thought it even sank on the box office.

349876[/snapback]

Underworld 2??

That dog crap of a movie has a sequel??? I thought it even sank on the box office.

350177[/snapback]

Goth pussies love that movie.

What?  I loved Underworld and can't wait for the sequel!  And I'm no goth at all, I just thought it had a sweet dark gritty but still mystical feel.... the blood didn't hurt either.  :D

350247[/snapback]

So...you like Underworld, and underage girl's panties. I don't think we'll take your endorsement too seriously.

What?  I loved Underworld and can't wait for the sequel!  And I'm no goth at all, I just thought it had a sweet dark gritty but still mystical feel.... the blood didn't hurt either.  :D

350247[/snapback]

So...you like Underworld, and underage girl's panties.

350323[/snapback]

Not see'n a problem here.

-say's a middled-aged japanese salaryman-

Well,

Im only now able to stomach doing a review of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles #3. Boy, talk about a series going down the drain fast....

The Good

- The cover art showing the doomed UES Tokugawa isn't bad.

- Louie Nichols and Miles Cochrane make an extended appearance.

- We see Janice's new body in its final stages. Still creepy looking.

- Brief usage of the new Horizon V model shuttle.

- The space-pod variant of the Helios VTOL from Southern Cross was retained for use inside Space Station Liberty. One of the few Sentinels anime designs I actually liked.

The Bad

- Vince Grant bails out of the Tokugawa at minus 100km, which is plummeting to the surface of Optera, in a battle armour mode VR-052T Battler model Cyclone. Said bail out allows him to fly across the distance to the open hanger of a Horizon V armoured bunker. Captain Grant does not instantly become a crispy critter from the intense sheet of plasma caused by the Tokugawa's uncontrolled fall from orbit. This, despite the fact that the Ikazuchi-style sponsons are shown to be breaking off because of the heat stress.

- Deep Space Station Liberty? Can we please confuse the issue any more than it already is? Of course, we can.

- Artwork on many pages is darkened to the point that you can barely tell what something is. My guess is to hide sloppy pencils.

- General Leonard, though he's been f*cking dead 14 yrs at this point gets blamed AGAIN! Of course, all the Earth's woes are from one man: Anatole Elijah Westphal Leonard. Yep, gotta love how they have made the former UEF Supreme Commander out to be the scapegoat.

The Ugly

- Edwards demonstrates his control over the Genesis Pit in the Grand Hive by having one of the Malar Hive Guards (dont ask how he controls Invid with organic pilots) boot in some poor slob from the crew of the Tokugawa. Said poor slob instantly crawls back out looking like some monster from Inu Yasha. Yep, nothing like magical insta-mutate into cliched Japanese Oni for Robotech. As if retarded transforming combat capital starships and idiotic magical singing girls weren't enough.

- Wow...the Neutron-S Missiles are actually the Angel-class Colony Ships. How did they colonize worlds with these things, by shooting them into the ground? Great one Tommy, except we already knew what they were because Exedore mentions them in Viva Miriya! They are warships plain and simple!

- The Anti-Invid Bioroid from the last issue gets some explanation in the back. Hmm, added missile packs. farting idiots, the Bioroid is a Shock/Light Infantry mecha. The more you add to it, the more HEAVY its gonna get. That means its no longer AGILE. The Bioroid by itself and with the Biover would be more than a match for any Invid mecha, including the Royal Command Battloid. Adding extraneous crap that cannot be immediately discarded is a waste.

- There is a thruster/vector pack on the Bioroid. WHY? The goddamned thing has an INERTIALESS FLIGHT SYSTEM! Why do you think the Bioroid pilot sits in a bubble sans acceleration couch or restraints?

- Lisa says she's gonna be back on the bridge of the SDF-3 soon. Yeah, sure. NOT. Her ass would be shuffled off somewhere out of serious command authority. She would probably be a military governor on one of the colonies by this point, if she was not forced to leave the military alltogether.

Notes:

- The 3 styles of body armour are expanded upon a tad bit in the back of the comic. The military police armour appears to be a slightly different version from the standardized CBR-5M Tactical Body Armour.

- When Janice talks to Lang about her new body, she makes a reference about why Lang chose her outer appearance. My guess is Lang lost someone and Janice is her image. Guess: A daughter, perhaps or maybe a lover at one time?

Ugh. Thats the nicest thing I can say about this comic. My roommate flipped through it once and said he wouldn't even deign to wipe his ass with it for fear of catching something. While Im not quite of the same opinion, the fact remains this is simply a horrid comic and a vapid series. <_<

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Has anyone found some preview art for this comic? We need a new "Caption This" thread.
Miles Cochrane make an extended appearance

Who? Isn't he the inventor of the Warp Drive?

350393[/snapback]

He was, only in Southern Cross though.

Not in Robotech. He appears, along with his assistant Dr. Sampson Beckett, in several episodes during The Masters War starting in Danger Zone, Metal Fire and Outsiders.

350425[/snapback]

Let me guess, this guy worked a a little thing called Quantum Leap right? :lol:

Ya know what I find interesting is that all these years have gone by and Mckinney's Sentials books have never been considered "cannon" yet these three comics have taken key elements from the books and just jumbled them together after spinning it in a blender for 1 minute on puree.

I'll put good money that the "mysterious" enemy in the new movie will be the Haydonites who are acting upon an Awareness from their homeworld a la EOTC...

Let me guess, this guy worked a a little thing called Quantum Leap right? :lol:

350438[/snapback]

Hmmmm......

Robotech: The Masters War (1985) Dr. Sampson Beckett or Quantum Leap (1989-1993) Dr. Sam Beckett. Unless Bellasario had QL sitting on some Hollywood shelf for several years before making it, I'm gonna go with Sampson Beckett being the first one..... ;)

You don't actually want an answer to that do you? :D

Well, let's see if I can remember. The Haydonites are just one of the many races that the "Expeditionary Force" encounters on their way to the "Robotech Master's" homeworld. These creatures have a unique and powerful understanding of "protoculture" and it's applications towards machinery. Their own planet is a mix of biological and mechanical sorts, powered by the 'proto stuff. Haydonites have to ability to shape and change machinery and their world at will; think of Star Trek's Q being, but confined to their world.

-I'm missing alot of data on this, and I may have gotten some of the posted data wrong, but.......I really don't care-lol...

Oh dear. I throught I purged it from my memory, but the above caused it to spill forth like the foul bile that it is, that the Haydonites and their planet Haydon IV basically ended up being Transformers Lite in The End of the Circle, with the Haydonites being the little workers to do Haydon's will, and their planet actually turning into Haydon ala Unicron/Primus...