More Shadow Force news

s_robotechshadowchronicles.jpg

The pic is quite small, but I was wondering, who the heck is the red head? :huh:

383867[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be Ariel?

Why won't this blasphemy die?

383871[/snapback]

because it's made by bloodsucking anime vampires? "There's only one way to kill them... here... hold this up to their heart!"

Edited by >EXO<

The pic is quite small, but I was wondering, who the heck is the red head? :huh:

383867[/snapback]

"Wouldn't that be Ariel?"

It's _supposed_ to be Ariel/Invid Marlene - and actually the poster looks more like the original character design than she does in the trailer. I had to watch the trailer twice to be sure, and someone I know completely failed to recognise her at all.

Redesigning the character is one thing, but when there's nothing in the redesign that evokes the sense of the original character then what's the point?

Karl

Redesigning the character is one thing, but when there's nothing in the redesign that evokes the sense of the original character then what's the point?

It would appear HG and all parties involved aren't looking to just update the series with modern animation but to also make a series that is finally completely there own. None of the characters seem to resemble their predecessors at all with the exception of retained hair color (even that doesn't appear to always tie to previous incarnations). It would seem the point is to make it so Robotech fans recognize the characters because of their names and backstories while MOSPEADA, Southern Cross (if there are any), and Macross fans won't recognize a thing at all (um, except the mechs... and I bet if this becomes a series of OVAs the latter ones will have completely new designed mechs). I think it's a great step toward expanding a gap between Robotech and the originals... which is something I think both Robotech fans and fans of the originals would very much like to see at this point.

Edited by jenius

It would appear HG and all parties involved aren't looking to just update the series with modern animation but to also make a series that is finally completely there own. None of the characters seem to resemble their predecessors at all with the exception of retained hair color (even that doesn't appear to always tie to previous incarnations).

383943[/snapback]

With a lot of the character designs I'd agree that they have had a very heavy re-design (with perhaps the exception of Scott Bernard, who looks much the same to me, only a bit older than he should be). I'd agree that anything that puts some range between Robotech and the OS's has to be a good thing. I'm just not sure that I get the same "first impressions" from the re-designed characters - to me they evoke a different sense of the kind of person they are, causing a bit of cognitive dissonace trying to square the personality with the appearance. But as ever, other folks mileage may vary.

Karl

to me they evoke a different sense of the kind of person they are, causing a bit of cognitive dissonace trying to square the personality with the appearance. But as ever, other folks mileage may vary.

I have the same feeling and it does seem like something that those familiar with the "original" RT will have to take a moment occasionally to reconcile. Too bad they can't make a 2 hour OVA for each of the original three archs and super condense the story, give it better animation, fill in the gaps and remove the errors that were created by stitching unrelated shows together, and add character designs that unified everything. Since that can never be, we're gonna have to live with character designs that may jar us old familiars -

Edited by jenius

Too bad they can't make a 2 hour OVA for each of the original three archs and super condense the story, give it better animation, fill in the gaps and remove the errors that were created by stitching unrelated shows together, and add character designs that unified everything. 

383953[/snapback]

That happend with DYRL and I hated every second of it. I simply don't like super-condensed shows like that and would not like to see that happen to Robotech.

Too bad they can't make a 2 hour OVA for each of the original three archs and super condense the story, give it better animation, fill in the gaps and remove the errors that were created by stitching unrelated shows together, and add character designs that unified everything. 

383953[/snapback]

That happend with DYRL and I hated every second of it. I simply don't like super-condensed shows like that and would not like to see that happen to Robotech.

383961[/snapback]

Yes. We all feel that way*... and god forbid that if they ever had the rights they wouldn't have done it already...

*please note sarcasm

383953[/snapback]

383961[/snapback]

Blasphemer, get the pitchforks and torches boys.

383867[/snapback]

I heard that's Janice Em; an android singer voiced by Chase Masterson. Janice is supposed to contain the A.I. of EVE from Robotech: The Movie/Megazone 23. In the Sentinels, she was created to be a singing partner for Lynn Minmay in case they ran into any Zentradei who wasn't exposed to protoculture. Double the whammy!

Wait didn't you guys realize? It's obviously Roy Fokker come back from the dead revived by protoculture tentacles and turned into a woman!

That reminds me of the scene in Macross Plus where Myung is about to be raped by the Sharon controlled tentacles of random machinery... I felt that was very hentai of the froating head...

If you don't like DYRL then I know there's no reasoning with you. Besides, you're missing the point that HG would actually be able to now craft the story in a way that fit to the following OVAs and could make a coherent universe...

I way outta the RT loop...where is the dog character from?

384202[/snapback]

That's Lron and he's a bear. He wasn't in the Sentinels movie but in the comics and novels. Trust, he looks better now than back then.

384204[/snapback]

Wait 'till you see what his wife looks like...

all I can thhink is that they all lost so much weight and now half of them look like junkies...

In the future they're going to create recreational drugs where the only side-affect is weight loss. It's gonna be SWEET.

all I can thhink is that they all lost so much weight and now half of them look like junkies...

In the future they're going to create recreational drugs where the only side-affect is weight loss. It's gonna be SWEET.

384251[/snapback]

Yeah, because modern drugs like cocaine don't lead to weight loss or anything. :rolleyes:

I find their choice to keep Breetai's bucket helmet odd considering the only reason they originally designed the bucket head during Sentinels pre-production was to avoid connections with SDF Macross.

It's odd to see Zand on the list, seeing as how he was a character created entirely by Jack McKinney.

Meh... So it's really just The Sentinels as I feared. I'm gonna skip it. I had an open mind about it and my aversion to Sentinels was something I had long before this whole Robotech Vs. Macross thing. It's simply just a bad story.

Meh... So it's really just The Sentinels as I feared. 

384287[/snapback]

Correction: It's the Sentinels, crossed with the works of Jack McKinney. That's Dr. Lazlo Zand I see in there, and he was entirely an invention of the novels. So yeah...so much for breakign new ground. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the aliens make Mospeada 2 Electric Boogaloo not possible.....

Then to contradict what I said above.....

I was hoping for something real fresh.....

Maybe they should just go ahead and bring Orguss into the mix......

Maybe not....

no offense but japanese symbols on american muscle? puke.gif

384293[/snapback]

Hopefully the aliens make Mospeada 2 Electric Boogaloo not possible.....

Then to contradict what I said above.....

I was hoping for something real fresh.....

Maybe they should just go ahead and bring Orguss into the mix......

Maybe not....

384326[/snapback]

At the same time have some Megazone 23 while they are at it.

Hey. a cast list for PTTSC and Shadow Chronicles! Thanks Captain JLS! post-356-1143387666_thumb.jpg

384194[/snapback]

Well, the regent still looks vaguely like an ambulatory penis, but other than that...

I understand drastic redesigns of the Sentinels characters. They were never really part of continuity to begin with.

But beyond that... these aren't even "inspired by" designs. They're just random characters that happen to share a name.

Except Edwards, who clearly stole Britai's faceplate and hit him in the face with his new bucket.

People are making a mountain out of a mole hill as far as that character list goes. Much of that is just for the Prelude comics... many of those characters won't be in the new OVA. Obviously we won't be seing Breetai, the Regent, and I think even Lisa is not going to be in the new show. So, if you're worried about this being the Sentinels... it is my understanding that the Prelude comics were meant to put a nice tidy bow on that series so the new animation won't have to do anything to do with that story.

Edited by jenius

Okay, but are they using the same character designs?

384421[/snapback]

A better question is why they're even using those characters in the first place. I mean, all those years of RT diehards telling us how Sentinels wasn't part of continuity, and how it should all be disregarded in favor of some fanfic, here we are in 2006 seeing those same sad characters showing up in the first truly "official" RT product since '85.

Okay, but are they using the same character designs?

384421[/snapback]

A better question is why they're even using those characters in the first place. I mean, all those years of RT diehards telling us how Sentinels wasn't part of continuity, and how it should all be disregarded in favor of some fanfic, here we are in 2006 seeing those same sad characters showing up in the first truly "official" RT product since '85.

384424[/snapback]

This'll probably deviate from the comics and the novels too.

I'm just wondering if they're using a single set of new character designs for the comics and cartoon, or if they're re-redesigning everyone for the video.