More Shadow Force news

Wait, so that rough-draft SDF-3 actually existed? I also remember seeing that style of SDF-3 on the cover of my "End of the Circle" novel...

-I really liked that story, by the way...

Regardless of how it comes out, or when, I'm picking it up soley to see how far the trainwreck goes. I've got the codename robotech disc, and the Sentinels disc, so I need a 3rd to tie up the trilogy (the spot is currently being held by Space Gandam V). :)

From that angle they kinda remind me of the White Base.

363136[/snapback]

Considering how much the design for the SDF-1 owed to the White Base, that's not too surprising.

As for the change in the SDF-3's appearence, I think it has to do with them ret-conning the design. The original design of the SDF-3 was designed to "look" like a Zentraedi ship.

The original design of the SDF-3 was designed to "look" like a Zentraedi ship.

363223[/snapback]

Not quite true. The SDF-3 was 'wrapped up in the exoskeleton of a Zentraedi battlecruiser'. In fact, we don't know what the SDF-3 was actually supposed to look like as all we ever saw was the 'Trojan Horse' in The Sentinels. I'm just wondering what they will do with this design, which isn't actually all that bad.....

post-646-1138013331_thumb.gif

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Any idea when this new show coming out.

363245[/snapback]

There is supposed to be a 'visual update' on Tuesday on Robotech.com.....it may include a date for release. Best guess is 2nd Quarter of this year, if they are truly wrapping up post-production now. Supposedly the music is being scored in Prague over the next few weeks.

Supposedly the music is being scored in Prague over the next few weeks.

363247[/snapback]

At the Robotech panel I attended a few weeks ago at SacAnime, Kevin McKeever made a comment about the soundtrack being recorded in Prague. A typical know-it-all otaku type raised his hand and said "You mean, the Czech Republic."

Nothing like a dumb nerd to make me hate anime conventions.

You know I find it funny, last week I tried to go to Robotech.com to see any updates on this at work and it wouldn't let me. The AF IT guys have it as a blocked site, yet I can come Macrossworld anytime I like, gotta love it.

Oh, how I long for the original SDF-3 design we saw in The Sentinels, like the one Myk posted. There was nothing wrong with it AND it didn't look nearly as horrific as that boxy monstrosity.

As well, I'm still not happy about the existance of the SDF-4. That's another ship that should burn in the deepest pits of hell.

Well, I've always thought the "original" SDF-3 was a weak design.

And I have always really liked the Izumo design from Mospeada from which this new version gets most of its inspiration.

Additionally the rationale for the original organic design was just as bad as its appearance.

So, I think this new "boxy" update is quite a good one.

It shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that the design has changed. Big West owns all Macross designs, and would lay the smack upon HG if they tried to copy them. Mospeada (being owned by Tatusnoko) is fair game, and the obvious choice to follow.

Yeah, what Keith said. Still, we're in way legal gray land and HG could push it to some degree if they wanted to. After all, a Macross DERIVED design (meaning not something that was in Macross but appears roughly similar to something in Macross) may or may not get the legal wheels spinning (I would guess probably not). Still, makes way more sense for them to totally steer clear and stick to MOSPEADA designs and leave the door open to selling MOSPEADA II at some point in Japan.

What's with the red color on those drawings of the SDF-3? That's just plain funk.

What's with the red color on those drawings of the SDF-3? That's just plain funk.

I believe that red is actually derived from the RT: Sentinels movie. When they're visiting bucket head on the RT satellite, they show the SDF3 under construction and they shuttles are putting red panels in place.

I never really understood why it would be a different color from a regular zent ship if it was supposed to be a zent ship shell.

I can't see it at work, can someone give a rundown of what it shows?

364044[/snapback]

Brief shot of the SDF-3 making a distress call...MoonBase-Aluce. Vince Grant announcing the mission to find Admiral Hunter. Alpha-Beta landing by a Hive, Scott talking to Marlene. Cool battle between Alphas and Invid in space. Clamships and other REF Capital ships. Regis saying she's gonna win because good is dumb, either a reflex or synchro cannon attack, possibly on Earth, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Edited by Zor Primus

MoonBase-Aluce

364136[/snapback]

Nope, thats not ALuCE-1, which is at the northern polar lattitude. That is some other base, perhaps the rebuilt Luna, or a third base built during the occupation. All we know of it is what Sue Graham stated that it was a base on the 'dark side of the moon'....though thats incorrect as well. ;)

I can't see it at work, can someone give a rundown of what it shows?

364044[/snapback]

Brief shot of the SDF-3 making a distress call...MoonBase-Aluce. Vince Grant announcing the mission to find Admiral Hunter. Alpha-Beta landing by a Hive, Scott talking to Marlene. Cool battle between Alphas and Invid in space. Clamships and other REF Capital ships. Regis saying she's gonna win because good is dumb, either a reflex or synchro cannon attack, possibly on Earth, and a partridge in a pear tree.

364136[/snapback]

So... crap, alpha-invid dogfight, more crap, and lunch if I can hit the damn bird.

Call me nostalgic but I am not a fan of the new sound fx used.

364020[/snapback]

I didn't mind the music so much; it was reminiscent of the original music. As for the mecha sounds, I'll have to wait and see them for myself.

However, I did find the cel animation somewhat slow and stiff.

I thought it looked great but I'm not a guy who needs really flashy anime to keep me happy, I'm more interested in the stories and characters. You know if I still like watching the original Macross I'm not going to sit here and say the new Robotech looks bad...

So... crap, alpha-invid dogfight, more crap, and lunch if I can hit the damn bird.

364211[/snapback]

Just got home....It's actually, ugly logo, crap on the moon, then crap flying in space, Alpha landing on Earth, The guy and the girl, alpha-invid dogfight, then a bunch of people shooting something at each other....probably a spit contest.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the trailer didn't look quite as bad as I was expecting and I wouldn't mind diving the whole thing a try when it's released.

I really would have prefered the mecha and ships to be traditional cell animation though, not CG.

I don't mind CG mecha if they are done well, like in Macross Zero, but the CG here just looked bad, like about 3 generations behind that of Macross Zero. There was very little surface texture to the mecha and ships. They just looked too CG IMO and not believable.

And who is this Admiral Hunter of whom they speak?

Graham