When all's said and done, this is still the era of the Jedi Council blindly marching towards its own destruction thanks to that heady mixture of arrogance and overconfidence in their abilities... 

It wouldn't exactly be off brand for them to miss the Sith Lord in Plain Sight.  It'd just mean Palpatine wasn't the first time they rolled a critical fail on a Sense Motive check.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

...and it all still leads to the events of the Rise of Skywalker...;)

Eventually we'll get post Skywalker Saga content right? Right?! :unknw:

There is no post Skywalker Saga. Whatever gets considered as Jedi good guy will just take the name regardless of bloodline. Rey Palpatine proved that one

2 hours ago, Big s said:

There is no post Skywalker Saga. Whatever gets considered as Jedi good guy will just take the name regardless of bloodline. Rey Palpatine proved that one

Yes and no.  They could just as easily "revealed" that Rey was actually a Skywalker all along, but it is best to leave that mess be.

1 minute ago, Dynaman said:

Yes and no.  They could just as easily "revealed" that Rey was actually a Skywalker all along, but it is best to leave that mess be.

So you’re say that Vader and the emperor were having fun time off screen 

The Far off galaxy a long time  ago is a big place. There could be other force users out there. Trained by rogue Jedi or hidden Sith. It doesn't have to be such a black and white reality. And yes this is still the grand Jedi counsel in all its blind arrogance. But in their prime and maybe a few more Jedi that have some common sense. Either way, I'm quite interested. 
As far as post Skywalker era. It's coming (supposedly) and it's Rey. Weather we like it or not. 

25 minutes ago, Bolt said:

As far as post Skywalker era. It's coming (supposedly) and it's Rey. Whether we like it or not. 

Technically that still Skywalker era, even if she was born a Palpatine 

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

...and it all still leads to the events of the Rise of Skywalker...;)

One can only admire their commitment to maintaining a bell curve, quality-wise.

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Eventually we'll get post Skywalker Saga content right? Right?! :unknw:

Eventually, I'm sure... but it's going to be the same zero-sum game the pre-Disney material was playing.  

In the grim darkness of the *checks notes* distant past there can be only war.  War... and constant political upheaval with a new government every thirty years or so because the galaxy absolutely cannot get its sh*t together under any circumstances.  All things considered, they'll have to introduce the live action canon's fourth galactic government in the next feature moving the story forward.  We've already had Republic Classic and New Republic... what's next?  Diet Republic?  Wild Cherry Empire?  Vanilla Republic?  The Second Order?  Republic Zero?

That's probably why they're faffing about in the pre-prequel era instead of setting up the story going forward past Episode IX.  It's in the fan-heavy writers room's comfort zone and they don't have to come up with anything that might have actual implications for the setting down the road.

4 hours ago, roboemo said:

I am wondering if somone wanted to change KOTOR.

Like I think exploring Light vs Dark conflict was done in KOTOR 2...and it was one of divisive works.

It was only divisive because it was released unfinished and buggy with a lot of content cut. Obsidian was forced to rush it out the door by LucasArts and Microsoft. Thankfully, the cut content remained on the disc, and years later a fan project was able to fix many of the bugs and restore much of what was incomplete.

The story itself is well-loved by the fans.

Edited by Duke Togo

3 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

It was only divisive because it was released unfinished and buggy with a lot of content cut. Obsidian was forced to rush it out the door by LucasArts and Microsoft. Thankfully, the cut content remained on the disc, and years later a fan project was able to fix many of the bugs and restore much of what was incomplete.

The story itself is well-loved by the fans.

I remember them.

but some have disliked Chris Avellone’s take on morally ambiguous interpretation of Jedi vs Sith.

I think everyone really ought to stick to Acolyte conversation here and not let this prequel teaser clip veer us back into discussions of what was worse, the prequel or sequel trilogies. That has been litigated and re-litigated numerous times on this board for people to go back and skim through. I think that can be summed up as "there are valid arguments in both camps for why both are worse, and elements of both that we can argue are better, so it's okay to be in either camp." 

Maybe it’s me, but as more time passes since the trailer’s debut, I’m drifting into “wait & see”-territory with this show. Maybe it’s Lucasfilm’s current track record. But as of now, I’m not sold on this show.

Wait and see is the only sensible approach... Disney+ is currently running around coin-flip odds of a series being either terrible or actually pretty good.

It's just a matter of being patient until it comes out and we see if it's either another story that didn't need to be told like Obi-Wan Kenobi or The Book of Boba Fett or an actually-pretty-good addition like The Mandalorian and Andor.  

Given that it's pitched as a Jedi-heavy story, I'm strongly suspecting the former... but I could be wrong, and will be delighted if I am.  It wouldn't be the first time Disney Star Wars did that for me.

In general, I'm not the keen on Jedi stories. I thought one of the lessons from the original trilogy and the prequels was that the way of the Jedi was wrong. Kenobi and Yoda didn't look back at the past with fondness but with regret. If only we weren't so set in our ways... that sort of thing. I think the cartoon and the fans themselves made the Jedi way as something to be idolized.

When I see this trailer, I just see more boring Jedi and their misguided ways. I might have thought Ashoka and Kenobi were pretty lack luster, but I know fans of the cartoon Jedi went going crazy for it. I don't expect greatness for this show. I'm not the intended audience. Many of these Disney shows aren't spinoffs of the movies. They're spinoffs of Filoni's cartoons. If it this show is mediocre that's fine. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by a thing or two.

Assuming the prequels are canon, at the time of Episode I the sith / jedi rivalry had been dead for a millenia or so so it's strange to see what looks like sith re-appearing only 100 years before the prequels. Wouldn't Yoda be around and be like "wtf?" 

Then again it's modern Star Wars which really hasn't been my cup of tea since basically Rogue I :(

I too will adopt a wait and see approach. It's not that we have star wars fatigue, it's that we have meh star wars fatigue -_-

3 hours ago, Duymon said:

I too will adopt a wait and see approach. It's not that we have star wars fatigue, it's that we have meh star wars fatigue -_-

I feel that way about super hero fatigue as well.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

From creator Leslye Headland, "Whatever you think The Acolyte is, it's not."

So it's not a Star Wars story?

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

What in the world is going on lol 

lulz.png.37d696b0ac43ea4fa4ae70c4abefb606.png

A flogging in the court of public opinion, apparently!

26% positive, 74% negative +/- 1%... that's one hell of a marketing SNAFU.

2 hours ago, Duymon said:

What in the world is going on lol 

lulz.png.37d696b0ac43ea4fa4ae70c4abefb606.png

Maybe review bombing? Maybe not. Who knows. Could be the court of public opinion. 🤷‍♂️ Could be, like me, many folks are not warming up to this show as it has been presented. 🤷‍♂️ More data is required.

I'm actually more inclined to call it 'review bombing.' It's a teaser that doesn't show that much, so we know literally little about it. Cetianly not enough to complain so much, though that never stopped anybody.

From what I can see about it on social media, it does seem that there is a significant portion of the Star Wars fanbase who are not enamored of the premise for The Acolyte.

The sticking point for many of them appears to be the apparent continuity problem mentioned earlier in this thread WRT the Jedi explicitly stating they haven't seen hide nor hair of a Sith in 1,000 years with this series set just 100 years before that statement.

It's certainly possible it's review bombing, but given the size and devotion of the Star Wars fanbase it's at least equally likely that it's an honest-to-goodness audience reaction to the teaser trailer specifically.  The Like/Dislike button does specifically court that kind of snap judgement.

I'm just.. confused by this entire "it's not what you expect" sort of tagline.  Like.. Ok.. thanks, that's completely unhelpful.  Were you actually hoping that would make people want to watch it?  Very few people go into a restaurant, stare down the waiter, and go "Surprise me."  They usually know what they want, and enjoy giving money to people who are willing to deliver it to them.

This is not specific to this instance, but it's starting to feel like the people in charge of these sorts of productions are fully aware that they are making content people will absolutely hate, and refuse to give more details in the hope they can bait people into spending money on it.

If you're confident in your product... why not advertise it honestly?  Tell us what we're buying.

Far as this one goes though, yes, I would not be surprised by review bombing.  There have been wild and ugly rumors about this production and producer flying around for years now, and whether there's any truth to any of it, the association isn't going to go away quickly.

Edited by Chronocidal

49 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From what I can see about it on social media, it does seem that there is a significant portion of the Star Wars fanbase who are not enamored of the premise for The Acolyte.

The sticking point for many of them appears to be the apparent continuity problem mentioned earlier in this thread WRT the Jedi explicitly stating they haven't seen hide nor hair of a Sith in 1,000 years with this series set just 100 years before that statement.

It's certainly possible it's review bombing, but given the size and devotion of the Star Wars fanbase it's at least equally likely that it's an honest-to-goodness audience reaction to the teaser trailer specifically.  The Like/Dislike button does specifically court that kind of snap judgement.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I'm actually more inclined to call it 'review bombing.' It's a teaser that doesn't show that much, so we know literally little about it. Cetianly not enough to complain so much, though that never stopped anybody.

The Like/Dislike button are really that. Did a person like it, or not, or is undecided/doesn't care to click either. 

The term "Review-Bombing" was created by film studios, and still used by them and whoever they pay to market them, to "try" deviate from the masses' discontent with their product. The term shouldn't be used as a way to shrug off mass opinion just because the minority disagrees with it. 

That said, sock puppet/bots services are VERY expensive, and if anything, probably only major studios can afford them, and if it was studio against studio, everyone would know it as the numbers would be unrealistically inflated on both ends. 

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

The Like/Dislike button are really that. Did a person like it, or not, or is undecided/doesn't care to click either. 

The term "Review-Bombing" was created by film studios, and still used by them and whoever they pay to market them, to "try" deviate from the masses' discontent with their product. The term shouldn't be used as a way to shrug off mass opinion just because the minority disagrees with it. 

That said, sock puppet/bots services are VERY expensive, and if anything, probably only major studios can afford them, and if it was studio against studio, everyone would know it as the numbers would be unrealistically inflated on both ends. 

Well, I don't care where the term came from. It seems to fit, as I think most people are not liking it (IMO )based more on history than what it actually will be. As always, I prefer to wait until it airs before deciding whether it's going to suck or not. If it's good, great. If it sucks on its own merits and not the failings of previous series, then oh well, it's just a TV show.