Macross Plus, Macross Frontier, Macross II, Macross Delta, Macross 7 Blu-rays and Music

sh9000

They (BIGWEST) asked their licensees if they wanted anything to be announced at Otakon. They said not all of them got back to them. Animeigo said that the Macross II kickstarter is "days, not weeks" away (but also said end of August...?). Macross Plus was touched on, still no firm date beyond what was in the slides above. Nozomi (who has Frontier and Delta) could not or did not prepare a response in time for the panel, apparently. They were not mentioned by name but I assume they were included in "all our licensees".

I also found it interesting that Macross Delta episodes 1 and 4 (not 1-4, as I initially misread) were being screened in one of the video rooms. The BIGWEST guy said "there's a reason for that." I overheard a fellow fan in an autograph line say that it's probably because things had come together a bit more by 4, but weren't there scenes with VF-1 trainers in some of the early Delta episodes? And doesn't Frontier have a big ol' VF-1 on the roof of the school? I have to wonder if everyone's favorite company is still causing problems.

And that reminds me, the guy at the Animeigo panel said he wanted to name the deluxe edition of Macross II the Harmonious Edition, but someone had to point out to him (prior to the panel, not in real time) why that name might not go over well.

Edited by MikeRoz

1 hour ago, MikeRoz said:

I also found it interesting that Macross Delta episodes 1 and 4 (not 1-4, as I initially misread) were being screened in one of the video rooms. The BIGWEST guy said "there's a reason for that." I overheard a fellow fan in an autograph line say that it's probably because things had come together a bit more by 4, [...]

Probably because episode 1 introduces the series and episode 4 is the first big concert and battle.  Episode 2 and 3 are a breather between them with Hayate's training arc.

[...] but weren't there scenes with VF-1 trainers in some of the early Delta episodes? And doesn't Frontier have a big ol' VF-1 on the roof of the school? I have to wonder if everyone's favorite company is still causing problems.

HG has said that all current/existing Macross titles are in the clear... so I'd assume it's because episodes 1 and 4 are simply the most exciting ones in the early series.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:58 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Probably because episode 1 introduces the series and episode 4 is the first big concert and battle.  Episode 2 and 3 are a breather between them with Hayate's training arc.

HG has said that all current/existing Macross titles are in the clear... so I'd assume it's because episodes 1 and 4 are simply the most exciting ones in the early series.

Besides, Big West is streaming Flashback 2012 again on youtube, which has all the designs. I read they also reconfirmmed that they have full right to everything produced from 1987 (FB 2012's release year) and onward.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, Keith said:

Besides, Big West is streaming Flashback 2012 again on youtube, which has all the designs. I read they also reconfirmmed that they have full right to everything produced from 1987 (FB 2012's release year) and onward.

FB2012 has so much SDFM-DYRL content that perhaps BW received the OK from HG to make available as WWM material only via YT and not via a video release where they could make bigger profits off of it?

Where are the "free" episode previews on YT from BW for the rest of the post-SDFM-DYRL shows? LOL

12 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

Macross II Kickstarter pushed out a month.

I wonder what the new possibilities are?  I know that it is the redheaded step-child of the Macross franchise, but I really love all the designs from this show and wish Bandai would upscale their Hi-Metal R VF-2SS into a DX Chogokin and sell that!

Twich

I just find it really suspicious that none of these western home video releases has progressed to the point of having a firm date or being able to take pre-orders. Macross II was the one that seemed like it might materialize first. At Otakon, which was at the end of July, Robert was telling people "days, not weeks" and also "by the end of August", so it would have been great to see the dam finally break. I genuinely do hope it's some cool new thing they found they'd be able to include rather than some behind-the-scenes licensing drama that's been keeping the lid on these releases, many of which were announced over a year ago at this point.

I just find it really suspicious that none of these western home video releases has progressed to the point of having a firm date or being able to take pre-orders. Macross II was the one that seemed like it might materialize first. At Otakon, which was at the end of July, Robert was telling people "days, not weeks" and also "by the end of August", so it would have been great to see the dam finally break. I genuinely do hope it's some cool new thing they found they'd be able to include rather than some behind-the-scenes licensing drama that's been keeping the lid on these releases, many of which were announced over a year ago at this point.

As someone who does translations on the side... it's not that suspicious, especially if they've acquired the various extra features from the Japanese home video releases and are translating those too.  Not to mention however much additional material is being made for things like liner notes and extras.

Not to mention it's all probably got to go through two layers of legal approvals now... one at HG and one at Big West.

39 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not to mention it's all probably got to go through two layers of legal approvals now... one at HG and one at Big West.

If this is the case...better hope these WWM releases are not edited of SDFM/DYRL content and/or references to placate HG....;)

Heard this is why the latest Tenjin Udon book has been "delayed"....

35 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

If this is the case...better hope these WWM releases are not edited of SDFM/DYRL content and/or references to placate HG....;)

Heard this is why the latest Tenjin Udon book has been "delayed"....

Good point. If so, I hope there is a Japanese release that includes the English subs for these various WWM releases meant only for Japanese audiences. Hehe.

• 1 month later...

Palladium's management is super old fashioned... I'd recommend reaching out to them by phone not email or a website contact page.

The only way I was ever able to get ahold of them when I was looking for permission to use some of their art for review purposes years back was by phone.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I'm hoping this isn't dead in the water, but afraid that it just may be so. :(

Doesn't look like it. Just taken up and down. It likely needs some more details hammered out behind-the-scenes so they stuck it in a "preview"-mode.

image.png

• 1 month later...