Jump to content

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ryoma said:

:shok: What??? Where do i get one??? No seriously, are they still available on second market? What are the main differences from the TV version except for the pilot? Are there any pictures around??? Can't believe i missed that for so many years!

417BKWXK10L._AC_.jpg

41XZF782FQL._AC_.jpg

41T9B8VPRJL._AC_.jpg

 

They are fairly easy to find on eBay and YJA....

The pricing is high on eBay but sometime you can find deals....your best bet might be trying to source one from YJA, Mandarake, or one of the Japanese retailers that handle used toys....like Jungle...

The differences between the TV and DYRL versions are the head units, the hands, the cockpit canopy, the instrumentation layout, and possibly the colors....but it is debatable, more of a marketing thing to try and sell more toys, although now with Bandai, they can probably release a TV and DYRL in the exact same color, but mark it up with tampo specific to the shows...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The differences between the TV and DYRL versions are the head units, the hands, the cockpit canopy, the instrumentation layout, and possibly the colors....but it is debatable, more of a marketing thing to try and sell more toys, although now with Bandai, they can probably release a TV and DYRL in the exact same color, but mark it up with tampo specific to the shows...

Bandai did really nail the HMR release of the VF-1A CF though, and I don't see any reason they couldn't do the same for a DX release.  That one included two pilots, two heads, and both DYRL and TV styled hands.  The tampo wasn't fancy enough to be different at that scale.

All of those would be doable for the DX release, but it would also need separate instrument panels.  Considering how easily those are removed and swapped between the TV and DYRL releases, I don't see any reason they couldn't do it.  The panels are minimally glued in, but they slot in securely enough that it's really not necessary.  

I think the biggest change would really be that they'd either have to bag the spare parts, or redesign the plastic tray to contain all those spare pieces.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Bandai did really nail the HMR release of the VF-1A CF though, and I don't see any reason they couldn't do the same for a DX release.  That one included two pilots, two heads, and both DYRL and TV styled hands.  The tampo wasn't fancy enough to be different at that scale.

All of those would be doable for the DX release, but to be entirely accurate, it would also need separate instrument panels.  Considering how easily those are removed and swapped between the TV and DYRL releases, I don't see any reason they couldn't do it.  The panels are minimally glued in, but they slot in securely enough that it's really not necessary.  

I think the biggest change would really be that they'd either have to bag the spare parts, or redesign the plastic tray to contain all those spare pieces.

They have gone tampo crazy....that actually would be the only thing keeping a head swap doable....they may say the heck with it and include swappable heads, but some fans may not like it if they go with a DYRL markings valk or vice versa....

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

They have gone tampo crazy....that actually would be the only thing keeping a head swap doable....they may say the heck with it and include swappable heads, but some fans may not like it if they go with a DYRL markings valk or vice versa....

 For a CF, what's the difference in the markings?  Wouldn't it only be the carrier name vs SDF-1?  I honestly wouldn't care that much if that was left off.  I'd be more impressed if they gave us actual modex markings on it, or at least gave us decals for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

 For a CF, what's the difference in the markings?  Wouldn't it only be the carrier name vs SDF-1?  I honestly wouldn't care that much if that was left off.  I'd be more impressed if they gave us actual modex markings on it, or at least gave us decals for them.

That probably would be it.....Bandai has yet to provide decals though...it's all about the tampo and they certainly excel at it.....of course, then they would need to provide two different pilot types (already proven that it can be done with the Armored Valkyrie) and two different hand types along with the TV/DYRL head units...but what about the cockpit layout?  I personally would rather have separate releases than some hybrid....

I think they will do two releases for the DYRL and TV VF-1A CF...a general and a TWE.....the question is which one gets the store and which one gets the TWE?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kakizaki came with stickers! Anything is possible. The DYRL cockpit is also removable so maybe they could even do swap out cockpits with both types of pilots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jenius said:

Kakizaki came with stickers! Anything is possible. The DYRL cockpit is also removable so maybe they could even do swap out cockpits with both types of pilots. 

LOL...I have to admit other than a VF-1J and a VF-1S Hikaru that I bought used....mine are all MISB....did not realize that the Kaki-1A DYRL-type came with decals...still....does not really make me think Bandai would not release separate TV and DYRL VF-1A CF's....they have taken the distinction between TV and DYRL VF-1's to a "Hole 'nother level" that has even surpassed Yamato's guidelines with the release of the "so-called" Focker VF-1S....there never was any lineart that distinguished the VF-1S between it's TV and DYRL appearance...other than the markings, such as the yellow and black head markings....

But who really knows......

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...I have to admit other than a VF-1J and a VF-1S Hikaru that I bought used....mine are all MISB....did not realize that the Kaki-1A DYRL-type came with decals...still....does not really make me think Bandai would not release separate TV and DYRL VF-1A CF's....they have taken the distinction between TV and DYRL VF-1's to a "Hole 'nother level" that has even surpassed Yamato's guidelines with the release of the "so-called" Focker VF-1S....there never was any lineart that distinguished the VF-1S between it's TV and DYRL appearance...other than the markings, such as the yellow and black head markings....

But who really knows......

I'm curious why some collectors hold onto MISB versions of the toys that they already have.  Why do you do it @jvmacross?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my case I usually buy 2, and only open the second in the event that the first has defects.

Why don't I just sell the second? Mainly because I haven't run out of space yet. I probably ought to have a big sale of all my extras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

In my case I usually buy 2, and only open the second in the event that the first has defects.

Why don't I just sell the second? Mainly because I haven't run out of space yet. I probably ought to have a big sale of all my extras.

Gotcha, I figured people had various reasons.  I could make room for doubles but I'm find with having just one of each myself.  Provided there's nothing wrong with it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Special Sauce said:

Gotcha, I figured people had various reasons.  I could make room for doubles but I'm find with having just one of each myself.  Provided there's nothing wrong with it.  

Nothing more annoying than managing to secure a pre-order, but you find it's defective and you can only return it for a refund and buy from a scalper at markup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My habit of trying to get at least two of every release started with the VF-25s after my 25G came with no crotch plate, and solidified when the VF-171s started spontaneously exploding.  If Bandai wasn't going to provide replacement parts for their failures, I was going to at least buy some insurance, and hope I could kitbash one good figure out of two if the worst happened.

The quality control got better over time, but then it started to be a crapshoot on whether the shops would even be able to fill orders, so the second order became a backup to just get one in the first place. :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

My habit of trying to get at least two of every release started with the VF-25s after my 25G came with no crotch plate, and solidified when the VF-171s started spontaneously exploding.  If Bandai wasn't going to provide replacement parts for their failures, I was going to at least buy some insurance, and hope I could kitbash one good figure out of two if the worst happened.

The quality control got better over time, but then it started to be a crapshoot on whether the shops would even be able to fill orders, so the second order became a backup to just get one in the first place. :p 

@Chronocidal Wow, I can see why you'd get multiples

Edited by Special Sauce
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and then you fall down the rabbit hole and I've got 2x VF-31as and 3x YF-19s MISB in my closet, with 1 each opened and on the shelf...

Edited by Sanity is Optional
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

My habit of trying to get at least two of every release started with the VF-25s after my 25G came with no crotch plate, and solidified when the VF-171s started spontaneously exploding.  If Bandai wasn't going to provide replacement parts for their failures, I was going to at least buy some insurance, and hope I could kitbash one good figure out of two if the worst happened.

The quality control got better over time, but then it started to be a crapshoot on whether the shops would even be able to fill orders, so the second order became a backup to just get one in the first place. :p 

Yep. I'm kinda glad that I got the GBP combo pack because one of my 1Js only came with one hand. When I contacted HLJ and they went to inquire about a replacement hand, they told me that Bandai instead had given them the finger. <_<

Given Bandai's RNG-level of quality, it's pretty bonkers that they don't offer replacement parts at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very excited at the prospect of a DX CF.  Would have to pickup 5-6 of them; definitely one of my favs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

 

DX VF-1A CF  ????? 

 

No yet, just expressing hopes and dreams lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

 For a CF, what's the difference in the markings?  Wouldn't it only be the carrier name vs SDF-1?  I honestly wouldn't care that much if that was left off.  I'd be more impressed if they gave us actual modex markings on it, or at least gave us decals for them.

TV releases have, so far, been missing the ejection triangles which have been present on the 2 DYRL releases. Triangles will be present on 1D.

Minor differences in the arrows etc on the chest between TV and DYRL. 

UNS SDF-1 on the upper leg of DYRL, but absent from TV. 

Bandai have really made a lot of subtle tempo differences between TV and DYRL. On what basis some of these are different is unknown to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eggy99 said:

TV releases have, so far, been missing the ejection triangles which have been present on the 2 DYRL releases. Triangles will be present on 1D.

Minor differences in the arrows etc on the chest between TV and DYRL. 

UNS SDF-1 on the upper leg of DYRL, but absent from TV. 

Bandai have really made a lot of subtle tempo differences between TV and DYRL. On what basis some of these are different is unknown to me. 

I'm voting that they're pulling them out of their backsides, because if they actually bothered looking at actual standard aircraft markings, there wouldn't be this level of varied nonsense.  The lack of ejection triangles and boneheaded backwards tail modex numbers are just flat out wrong, regardless of what demented scheme of "but it wasn't drawn in this instance" mentality they're following.

The really bonkers thing about it is that they're actually making more work for themselves by not standardizing all of this junk that should be entirely consistent. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to post
Share on other sites

DHL came through with flying colors! Left box on porch without a signature as I requested. AE packaged well enough to suite me. TV Supers going on the 1J after dinner tonight! Good things come to those who wait! 

20210429_173445.jpg

20210429_173604~2.jpg

20210429_173733.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

DHL came through with flying colors! Left box on porch without a signature as I requested. AE packaged well enough to suite me. TV Supers going on the 1J after dinner tonight! Good things come to those who wait! 

20210429_173445.jpg

20210429_173604~2.jpg

20210429_173733.jpg

Nice! I got a set from the first issue but the second one I had ordered through a different proxy fell through. So picked one up from AE and Hobby-Genki on the second run. AE should be here tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

DHL came through with flying colors! Left box on porch without a signature as I requested. AE packaged well enough to suite me. TV Supers going on the 1J after dinner tonight! Good things come to those who wait! 

20210429_173445.jpg

20210429_173604~2.jpg

20210429_173733.jpg

 

53 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Nice! I got a set from the first issue but the second one I had ordered through a different proxy fell through. So picked one up from AE and Hobby-Genki on the second run. AE should be here tomorrow.

 

I got the first-run from AE, too.  I haven't ordered from them for a long time, but never had any issue with them. I was a little leery about their new shipping-fees/method.

They came thru, tho. As always, I guess.

Their boxes are about the same as it used to, but now they even have their logo on it.  I don't recall seeing their logo from my old orders from them..

Kinda funny that I recently got an email from them about my FP order, even though they already fulfilled it way back on the first-run:

Quote

This email is to inform you that the item your ordered is now in stock and ready to ship.

 

:bump:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

57od3t.jpg

Excellent.  :drinks:  I’d probably get one CF VF-1A to open and another to keep MISB.  Not sure if I want to army build them.  I’ll leave the CF VF-1 army building to HMR.  Although that hangar scene with all of them in Fighter mode might be cool to recreate with the DX line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Excellent.  :drinks:  I’d probably get one CF VF-1A to open and another to keep MISB.  Not sure if I want to army build them.  I’ll leave the CF VF-1 army building to HMR.  Although that hangar scene with all of them in Fighter mode might be cool to recreate with the DX line.

Heheh...changed it up a bit! :rolleyes:

As for the hangar scene.....All you need is one posed in as many different poses as required for the shot...once you perfect the poses and take the pics....it is all anime magic afterwards!  :good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yeah, and then you fall down the rabbit hole and I've got 2x VF-31as and 3x YF-19s MISB in my closet, with 1 each opened and on the shelf...

You wanna sell one of your MSIB VF-31As?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

wow, bandai's trash. they going to release max and miria w/o supers, i called it first.

Well, they technically show pics for both versions...maybe they will split the releases into TWE and Regular releases like they did with the HMR Super M&M....but probably will just make you build your own Super M&M with TWE FP sets....:unknw:

DA54C595-CF3E-459C-85F0-E36F71075CD2.jpeg

 

Hey they also suggest a VF-1D VR edition!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...