Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

On 1/7/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ridden001 said:

Need some clarity here from the community on Nippon Yasan.  They still have it listed as pre order rather than instock.  Does this mean they haven't received their inventory yet or is this a second batch already?  The reason I'm asking is: I paid the $7.00 extra fee on both of my copies and it still has not shipped.  I just checked the site and then saw that it is still listed as pre-order vs. add to cart.  I'm wondering if anyone has had a shipment notice from them?  

I just received shipping notification from them last night.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Just want to confirm regarding the chest part. Once in Battroid mode, the chest doesn’t lock that much like the YamArcadia and it can easily be move or shake even if the shoulder cavity fillers are folded. Let me know.

If it's together properly, and with the gap fillers, it seems fairly sturdy. Without the gap fillers, not so much. Make sure you have everything fully pegged into place and locked down.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Just want to confirm regarding the chest part. Once in Battroid mode, the chest doesn’t lock that much like the YamArcadia and it can easily be move or shake even if the shoulder cavity fillers are folded. Let me know.

Put the  bra  fillers in...

8)

3 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

The chest locks solid. You may have missed a step. Try pushing down on it more until you hear it snap into place.

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

If it's together properly, and with the gap fillers, it seems fairly sturdy. Without the gap fillers, not so much. Make sure you have everything fully pegged into place and locked down.

Thanks Archie and Sanity. :good: I transformed the Valk while watching Jenius' video. But maybe I did missed a step or two. I'll try to push down the chest more the next time when I check my 2nd one. Also, I didn't put the side chest fillers since I was just transforming it back and forth for me to use all the option parts. Do you guys think that the chest part locks more solid if the side chest fillers are used instead of not using it?

2 hours ago, eggy99 said:

The attention to detail on the DX puts it in a class above even the PF 1/60. The 1/60 feels light, and just a little bit fragile in comparison. The heft of the DX is just so good in the hands and all clicky joints are a joy. The DX is a lot more fun and satisfying to play with than the 1/60. 

Oh yeah I took a photo of the legs positioned for attachment of the FAST packs. Enjoy:

2E0EA5EB-57EC-4323-90BC-154A5D27EEDE.thumb.jpeg.23f336c99cb9de76adf4174dc1f11621.jpeg

Thanks Eggy for the picture. ^_^ I was also looking at this last night while I was checking my first one. The legs would be probably be safe since the backplate tabs will probably peg inside the back portion of the leg Fast Pack armor like some other Super/Strike VF-1 figures. However, for the arm portion, that locking peg on the elbow joint should be tighter to support the arm once the Fast Pack arm armor are mounted. As for the ratchet joints, it's really nice to have it like the other recent DX Valks. Though now it reminds me, for this scale, they remove that 'clicky joint' for the hip joints (the intake joints for Gerwalk). The DX VF-31 and the V/YF-19 have it. But for some reasons, for this big DX figure, they didn't apply it. :unknw:

3 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Mine arrived yesterday, and I still haven’t gotten around to open it. Amiami seemed to only put massive amounts stuffing material, only on top and on the sides of the shipping box, lol. All in all, amiami did their job well on my first buy from them. Well done amiami.

If this is your first AmiAmi purchase, then probably you will notice that compared to Nippon-Yasan or HLJ, AmiAmi uses a more thicker box. :good: 

20 minutes ago, treatment said:

Put the  bra  fillers in...

8)

Ooppss. My bad. Didn't see your post while I'm composing my previous post. :rolleyes:

So it confirms that it really needs the side chest fillers to make it solid. I thought it can without it. Oh well, I can't have it all then. ^_^ 

Edited by no3Ljm

31 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks Archie and Sanity. :good: I transformed the Valk while watching Jenius' video. But maybe I did missed a step or two. I'll try to push down the chest more the next time when I check my 2nd one. Also, I didn't put the side chest fillers since I was just transforming it back and forth for me to use all the option parts. Do you guys think that the chest part locks more solid if the side chest fillers are used instead of not using it?

Yup, the chest fillers are what does it. They clip on front and back.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

However, for the arm portion, that locking peg on the elbow joint should be tighter to support the arm once the Fast Pack arm armor are mounted

I discovered the trick to getting the arms to lock in very tightly (at least on the 2 I checked last night). You cannot have the arm sliders pushed all the way up as the tabs no longer match up to the arm holes. Once you find the sweet spot for the sliders and the arm is seated correctly the body tabs into the arms tight. Shaking will not dislodge the arms. I’m highly confident the addition of the hollow FAST pack arm armor will not cause the arms to detach. 

17 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

All 3 modes, once my other two show up.

Gerwalk is probably my favorite, the extra articulation in the legs and arms really shines there.

I couldn’t pick a favourite mode after handling it in person now. I love how all 3 modes are represented in fantastic elegance. I’m glad I chose to get 3 of this iconic valk. 

BTW, who else has this awful mold mark on their gun strap? It’s on all 3 of mine. 409961FA-CCB7-4535-991C-C47ACE96E437.thumb.jpeg.120a224978a5f106ce81d97fc4aba8ac.jpeg2ED50079-84F4-4E68-8EB6-4649C3D1963D.thumb.jpeg.18fbd9b74fb94d82524251a1110617a8.jpeg

22 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Haha nice, if only I had the extra space or funds...

I may have the funds, but not the space. Now I need to figure out which Frontier valks get sent to the closet...

Edited by Sanity is Optional

I also got shipping notification from NY yesterday.

And yes the Hikaru pilot is too small and doesn't fit sung enough in the cockpit and always wants to lean to one side. Similar issue to the YF-30. 

The gun strap on mine also has a mold mark but it's not too bad. In my opinion the gun strap is the crappiest part of this Valkyrie. The rubber strap looks and feels awful and isn't long enough. I also don't like how it needs to be removed prior to stowing the gunpod in fighter mode. That's a small design fail.

44 minutes ago, ghostryder said:

Less than 3 days to ship from Amazon Japan! Until I have time to transform, here's an old vs. new jet shot. 

anyu6p.jpg

Honestly, they look pretty good side-by-side, and pretty similar in proportion, about like two styrene kits of the same plane from two manufacturers would look.

Anyone try a Yamato pilot in the Bandai to see if it fits better?

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, they look pretty good side-by-side, and pretty similar in proportion, about like two styrene kits of the same plane from two manufacturers would look.

I think a few pages back someone did but the Yamato pilot is too big.

17 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think the yammie 1/48's nosecone looks far elongated compared to the DX.

I don't have a 1/48 TV-Hikaru anymore, but Jenius has a pilots-comparo pic at his site now:

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-12.jpg

Edited by treatment

Thanks, I need to re-read everything some time, this thread exploded past my ability to follow. :lol:

I'm hoping my pair from AmiAmi will arrive by this weekend, so I might break out the Hasegawa kits and see how those pilots fit as well.

The Yammie definitely has a bigger nose, though that was always a hallmark of that particular mold.  It's really not very different than comparing molds between companies like Hasegawa and Revell at this point, because while there still is a bit of room for interpretation of the line art, Yamato's and Hasegawa's releases in the past decade have formed a pretty solid foundation for what a "real" VF-1 should look like, and the variability in how it looks and functions has diminished over time.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 minutes ago, treatment said:

I think the Yammie 1/48 pilots should fit the DX, technically.

However, I think Bandai deliberately made the cockpit-area really tight to not let that happen.

Bandai has never had a firm grasp of human anatomy when it comes to fighter aircraft cockpits, and an at-best tenuous grasp of scale. 

Most of the time, Bandai pilots won't work in anyone else's cockpit because they have this mysterious single structure protruding from their waist, where human beings have two individual legs, and this prevents them from fitting into a cockpit with a traditional center console.  The reverse is also true, since because most other pilots will have individual legs positioned to sit on rudder pedals, the Bandai monopod design won't accommodate their wider stance. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I don't have a TV 1/48 pilot to try, but surely that giant salami of a control stick in the DX would interfere with the molded-on stick on the Yamato pilot.

I will also add that there is a very light blue tint to the canopy,  it's just not very noticeable.

Edited by ghostryder

6 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Whats everyone's favorite mode? I'm a big robot/mech guy but this figure is either going to stay in Gerwalk or fighter mode (most likely fighter). Something about the fighter jet looks awesome, especially w/ the missiles!

For Macross, Gah-oh-ku is my favorite. It's what makes Macross, Macross. ^_^

43 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

For Macross, Gah-oh-ku is my favorite. It's what makes Macross, Macross. ^_^

Plus gerwalk has a 2 modes in one! Normal gerwalk or armless gerwalk mode which reminds me of speed skating!!

bwahaha..

16560310449_95d4cb868e_k.png.256b5efefec935a0abc4c48d71608d35.png

makes sense since you want to go aerodynamic, from hovering state to speed, whilst maintaining the flexibility of stopping on a whim.... i wonder which lever in the controls retracts the arms tho...hmmm...

7 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Plus gerwalk has a 2 modes in one! Normal gerwalk or armless gerwalk mode which reminds me of speed skating!!

bwahaha..

16560310449_95d4cb868e_k.png.256b5efefec935a0abc4c48d71608d35.png

makes sense since you want to go aerodynamic, from hovering state to speed, whilst maintaining the flexibility of stopping on a whim.... i wonder which lever in the controls retracts the arms tho...hmmm...

More like Gerwalk has 3 forms in it's self.

1) Full Gerwalk with arms
2) Half Gerwalk with no arms
3) Plane with legs for VTOL

If it's TV Series transformation does the pilot just slide the big G switch a part of way to fully engaged position? LOL

image.png.df43216399708310aa0cbcfbf6d0aceb.png

Just now, eggy99 said:

If it's TV Series transformation does the pilot just slide the big G switch a part of way to fully engaged position? LOL

That control panel is so 80s it hurts. :lol:

10 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I wonder how the all of the above option handles