Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 hours ago, borgified said:

Guaranteed that someone has room in their home plot. ;)

I don't even have the space to display the 1:48 DX Valkyries I've bought over the past couple of years... I certainly wouldn't have space for a 1:18 VF-1!

Heck, my 1:18 F-14 hangs from the ceiling above the stairwell, 'cause that's the only possible place I can display it... 

myF-14.jpg.d93aad2dc6907a55458f9a36865eb050.jpg

And to be honest, I still have no idea where my PLAMAX 1:20 VF-1s will go once they're painted, either. :unknw:

max factory stands.jpg

"First-world problems," as they say. 😅

52 minutes ago, tekering said:

And to be honest, I still have no idea where my PLAMAX 1:20 VF-1s will go once they're painted, either. :unknw:

I've been dealing with the same problem. I have all three 1:20 VF-1s (Strike Gerwalk, Strike Fighter, Regular Fighter) and a bunch of very large starship models (Aliens Dropship, Aliens Sulaco, Babylon 5 Omega Class Destroyer, Gunstar from The Last Starfighter, Daedalus from Stargate) that I want to assemble and display. I'll probably have to reconfigure my entire home office to create enough space for them.

16 hours ago, tekering said:

Heck, my 1:18 F-14 hangs from the ceiling above the stairwell, 'cause that's the only possible place I can display it... 

Funny how worlds collide on here. I too am, or was (RIP), an Eaglemoss fan. I'm guessing you went the DeAgostini route being in Japan. Did you get their Borg Cube? It was SO much better than the EM ones. I hear DeAgostini is finishing the Build-The-1701-D line now, while Master Replicas is selling off EM's stock. I just recently grabbed the Scorpion fighter and the Stargazer XL from them that didn't get out before EM folded.

Edited by Radioguy

On 1/28/2024 at 9:46 AM, tekering said:

I don't even have the space to display the 1:48 DX Valkyries I've bought over the past couple of years... I certainly wouldn't have space for a 1:18 VF-1!

max factory stands.jpg

"First-world problems," as they say. 😅

Wait…..is that an actual model of a Borg Cube or just a bunch of leftover Gundam sprues painted black? If so; genius!!

@mark-1s - It's various Model Kit Sprues that @tekering has been collecting and he decided to do a kit bash with all.

Posted in another collectable thread by the man himself: image.png.485c3d321d88d70f30bf2be5d7c104a3.png

Quote:

"Is that Borg cube made of model kit sprues?"

"Much of the surface detailing is, just like the original pyrotechnic studio model. 8) You may prefer the view from within... 😁

"That's just awesome...and definitely the most creative use of leftover sprues I've probably ever seen. Great work, man!"

image.png.4392debb7a6683ac319f4568a754284c.png

On 1/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, Radioguy said:

Nah, I'd love to see them on shelves in US shops one day. I still think that's a worthwhile hope.

The VF-1 in US shops would be awesome but it will either be a long time from now or never happening.

3 hours ago, borgified said:

@mark-1s - It's various Model Kit Sprues that @tekering has been collecting and he decided to do a kit bash with all.

Posted in another collectable thread by the man himself: image.png.485c3d321d88d70f30bf2be5d7c104a3.png

Quote:

"Is that Borg cube made of model kit sprues?"

"Much of the surface detailing is, just like the original pyrotechnic studio model. 8) You may prefer the view from within... 😁

"That's just awesome...and definitely the most creative use of leftover sprues I've probably ever seen. Great work, man!"

image.png.4392debb7a6683ac319f4568a754284c.png

I guess the gundam sprues got assimilated.. 

*showing myself out of door*

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The VF-1 in US shops would be awesome but it will either be a long time from now or never happening.

Depends on whether HG gets the buyout they are dying for. I'm loathe to think of them being rewarded for holding out this long, but it could happen any day.

16 minutes ago, grogall said:

Although I'm really happy that Bandai is releasing the Ostrich, I find it kind of lazy that they aren't releasing it with"Mech Guts"! Such a wasted opportunity to make the ultimate version...😥

item_0000014813_sK5nUNBc_05.jpg

YES 100%  Something we haven't seen before would have made me jump on this, but I'm happy with my 1/60 v2 version of this for now.

6 hours ago, grogall said:

Although I'm really happy that Bandai is releasing the Ostrich, I find it kind of lazy that they aren't releasing it with"Mech Guts"! Such a wasted opportunity to make the ultimate version...😥

item_0000014813_sK5nUNBc_05.jpg

...and waste an opportunity to make more money off of a typically "one-and-done" mold?....don't underestimate Bandai's greediness (not laziness) and/or the willingness of the Macross collector's double-dipping for the "new hat"...🤑

Edited by jvmacross

14 hours ago, wm cheng said:

YES 100%  Something we haven't seen before would have made me jump on this, but I'm happy with my 1/60 v2 version of this for now.

I got rid of most of my Yamato V2s years ago, so I'm super excited about this Bandai 1/48 VT-1 DX.

Got 2 on pre-order.

5 minutes ago, Graham said:

I got rid of most of my Yamato V2s years ago, so I'm super excited about this Bandai 1/48 VT-1 DX.

Got 2 on pre-order.

I still can't wrap my mind around the idea of that. I still wish I had more Yamatos.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:18 AM, Slave IV said:

I’m with you but more to the point of not being able to grasp the idea of getting rid of any Macross. 

I've toyed with the idea of what I'd do if I had to do that. I still can't come to a conclusion.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:18 AM, Slave IV said:

I’m with you but more to the point of not being able to grasp the idea of getting rid of any Macross. 

I have sold a few DX valks. I have limited display space and decided to focus on TV only. So I sold my movie figures. My experience is that people in my area are cheap as hell and refuse to pay anything decent for these things. Less than Japan MSRP and I always have to pay way more to get them. So I’m selling at a massive loss which is very disappointing and makes me question my toy collecting. I wish it were easier to get these things closer to MSRP.  I typically pay more than $400 CAD for DX VF-1 figures and I’ll be paying over $500 CAD for the DX YF-21 and if I sell them I won’t be able to get more than $250. 

Edited by Paco Grande

26 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

I have sold a few DX valks. I have limited display space and decided to focus on TV only. So I sold my movie figures. My experience is that people in my area are cheap as hell and refuse to pay anything decent for these things. Less than Japan MSRP and I always have to pay way more to get them. So I’m selling at a massive loss which is very disappointing and makes me question my toy collecting. I wish it were easier to get these things closer to MSRP.  I typically pay more than $400 CAD for DX VF-1 figures and I’ll be paying over $500 CAD for the DX YF-21 and if I sell them I won’t be able to get more than $250. 

I honestly never collect things to have too sell them again. I collect to have them for display. This year I'm getting a new display case from USM-haller wich have enough room for all my Valk's and any future releases....

2 hours ago, grogall said:

I honestly never collect things to have too sell them again. I collect to have them for display. This year I'm getting a new display case from USM-haller wich have enough room for all my Valk's and any future releases....

OK and what does this have to do with my situation? I have a wife and kids and I cannot display my toys in the shared areas of the house. Macross is not my first collecting priority so I have very limited space to display them. So sometimes some have to go to make room for others. To be clear I don’t intend to sell anything. But sometimes I need to sell to make space for something I want more. All I’m saying is that of all the things I collect, Macross depreciates the worst by far and it’s because of Bandai’s ridiculous consumer unfriendly tactics. 

4 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

This makes it even worse! Not only are you selling Macross items, you’re doing it at a loss? That’s essentially paying people to take your Macross from you. Can’t fathom the thought. I’d rather let it rot in my attic than do something like that, lol!

1 hour ago, Paco Grande said:

OK and what does this have to do with my situation? I have a wife and kids and I cannot display my toys in the shared areas of the house. Macross is not my first collecting priority so I have very limited space to display them. So sometimes some have to go to make room for others. To be clear I don’t intend to sell anything. But sometimes I need to sell to make space for something I want more. All I’m saying is that of all the things I collect, Macross depreciates the worst by far and it’s because of Bandai’s ridiculous consumer unfriendly tactics. 

I don’t get this either, if anything it seems like Macross appreciates better and more consistently than most other toys lines as a whole. sometimes it takes a while but once items are mostly depleted from secondary market sales, the clearance shelf warmers often become the most valuable probably because there were less of them to begin with and Macross collectors are so few in the scheme of things. 

But I get you gotta do what you gotta do. 

4 hours ago, grogall said:

Ooff, those look nice but also pricey displays!  Unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.  Hopefully you are able to share photos of your display once it's all set up!  I bet it's going to look sooo goood.

7 minutes ago, dragontype said:

Ooff, those look nice but also pricey displays!  Unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.  Hopefully you are able to share photos of your display once it's all set up!  I bet it's going to look sooo goood.

No I'm sure your looking at the right one, Yes they are expensive, but I also earn well so not such a big deal, Just getting it sorted out for a 6M shelf with glass cases for most things is still in planing, mostly will be all set up sometime in August. But I'll post a pictures wen it's all set up. 🤗

Edited by grogall

23 minutes ago, grogall said:

No I'm sure your looking at the right one, Yes they are expensive, but I also earn well so not such a big deal, Just getting it sorted out for a 6M shelf with glass cases for most things is still in planing, mostly will be all set up sometime in August. But I'll post a pictures wen it's all set up. 🤗

Awesome!  Looking forward.  As of last year, I've started to pare down my collection so I'm not sure how much space I'll need or can have.   Hoping to get a new home this year so I'll plan the new display around whatever space I have to work with once we are settled in.  I always love seeing other's displays for inspiration. 

Macross up here in Canuckle Land is not big as Transformers from the start since Generation One (1980’s) and onwards and mostly likely the Bayverse Era helped that too. There’s also Gundam which was also super popular in the ‘90s. 

7 minutes ago, borgified said:

Macross up here in Canuckle Land is not big as Transformers from the start since Generation One (1980’s) and onwards and mostly likely the Bayverse Era helped that too. There’s also Gundam which was also super popular in the ‘90s. 

Funny, All my 1:55 Takatoku/Bandai (Chunky Monkeys) I bought at the Silver Snail in Toronto when the where still in there old location across from Bakka Books, The only one I didn't get there was the VE-1 Elinseeker, which I found when I was visiting New York.... But even back then they where still available to buy in Canada...😉

Edited by grogall

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

This makes it even worse! Not only are you selling Macross items, you’re doing it at a loss? That’s essentially paying people to take your Macross from you. Can’t fathom the thought. I’d rather let it rot in my attic than do something like that, lol!

I don’t get this either, if anything it seems like Macross appreciates better and more consistently than most other toys lines as a whole. sometimes it takes a while but once items are mostly depleted from secondary market sales, the clearance shelf warmers often become the most valuable probably because there were less of them to begin with and Macross collectors are so few in the scheme of things. 

But I get you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Wouldn’t the attic destroy your toys pretty quickly? Mine is hot enough in the summer that it would melt toys for sure. 
I would rather see them go to a collector, even at a loss. 

Anyway I’m not sure what else to say. I will put an ad up and get nothing but low ball offers for months. Eventually I get fed up and take a low offer to get it out of my house. I just don’t have the storage space and I’m more about having money in my account than dusty toy boxes in the attic. 

And I have the same issue with Masterpiece Transformers. Mine are always super mint and I can barely give them away. I have one up for sale right now that I paid over $200 for. It’s barely been touched and is mint in box with all the parts etc. I have it up for sale for $100 and the best offer I’ve had after 6 months is $70. So I’m hanging on to it for now. I’m wondering if some of you have not actually tried to sell anything recently? It may be worse than you think out there. Most people are barely getting by so expensive toys are pretty far down on the priority list. 

I'm with you! Attics are no good for storing toys... they cook and yellow quickly. We have members in places like Sweden and members with very nice finished attics so for some folks it's fine! 

Edited by jenius