Looks like a photoshop error for someone trying to make the nose shorter than it looks.

I have mixed feelings about this release... The design would require a lot of improvements: would it have a renewal version and should I skip first revision ?

I was thinking the same...I will try to get this one first and then decide if I get the other variant.

Wow that looks great! So excited for this, although not really getting into the actual animation itself. Just weary that I keep seeing that foggy/frosted canopy in every shot including the promo stuff - I thought it was just a early prototype when I saw the same thing for the VF-30 pictures until I got my toy with the same foggy/frosted canopy (the only detraction from an otherwise great toy). I just don't get why some people have the clear canopy for that toy.

Anyone else think that video was a little.... half-assed? I mean, glad there is one at all, but they showed the bare minimum of the transformation on what looks like an early test-shot. Compare that to the Vf-19 one.

https://youtu.be/fr1XMwjZVnE

Hopefully all is good, and there isn't anything they are trying to avoid. Still gonna try and get one on pre-order day. Just seems odd.

The top image is screenshot from Tamashii VF-31 page video, it isn't photoshopped, I really do hope this 1 time error on prototype :unsure:

Untitled_2.jpg

That nose is upside down since its rotatable.

You can tell from the grey markings on the bottom of the nose which are supposed to line up with the top grey markings.

Not to mention the bottom of the nose juts out at the edge near the bay doors which means that is to be aligned to the top cockpit slope.

On second glance, maybe not...its gonna be hard for that nose to fit if rotated the other way around. The angle doesnt quite match...

Edited by seti88

Personally I think that no one should even buy this thing because of the crooked, upside down, whatever nosecone (seriously, what is the issue? I missed it).

Just sleep in if you're not in Japan and wait until people have this in-hand before you make the decision to buy.

I'll bite the bullet, buy multiple copies and post all about them.

:p

-b.

The nose cone literally can't be upside down, because the rotation joint is at an angle, and turning it 180 degrees bends it downwards. I love the way the joint works actually.

The problem is, it looks like they either stuck a misprinted or misshapen nose on there, because none of the markings line up.

Really, the nose cone looks too short and stubby, as if someone trimmed a few millimeters off the back edge, and stuck it on.

The nose stripe looks okay though it might need a little more taper up top. I think it's the front cockpit painting that's off. The grey paint is too high compared to the tamashii pics and the blue stripe should taper from the end of the 1st rearmost panel as the pics has only half of the front most trapezoid panel blue. If it still looks like that I'll just paint the stripes to connect or rub off the excess blue till they match. Anyways, can't wait till PO day.

Im still just happy it HAS landing gear.

as am I but sheesh it sure looks sh!te..

31A04.jpg

yuck! makes my skin crawl.. :blink:

and im sure that slap together example in the photos IS just a pre-production/prototype what ever thing and the final product will be considerably more polished! :D:rolleyes:

Edited by spanner

Looking back at the anime to see if the rear landing gear were that close to ground and they are indeed that close. The knee cover folds out and the rear landing gear + knee pad are pretty close to the ground. And in the show the landing gear are grey and not white. I was using episode 13 for reference. To me the landing gear looks like the typical ones you find on every other recent DX from Bandai, it's just that the rear ones are redesigned to appear as they do in the show.

Sorry for the newb question...

How does one exactly participate in pre-order madness? Do you just got to all the shops hitting refresh until something happens? (And this is supposed to be 4pm 8/1 Japan time?)

I've never actually purchased a non-used macross fig...I'd kinda like to know that that's like :)

Expect this thread to blow up with a lot of guess users in here plus everyone waiting for the links to post (not all shops open their orders at that time) followed by a mad dash...

Edited by wmkjr

the only thing that worries me is the rear landing gear looks so short and cheap I think simply don't look good

as am I but sheesh it sure looks sh!te..

31A04.jpg

yuck! makes my skin crawl.. :blink:

and im sure that slap together example in the photos IS just a pre-production/prototype what ever thing and the final product will be considerably more polished! :D:rolleyes:

It's no use to blame Bandai for the rear landing gear. Kawamori's the one who designed them to fold into the knee caps.

Despite the landing gear design, you still have to swap parts to "deploy" the landing gear on this DX, this is Bandai's job, and it seems the poseable hand can not store inside the wing.

EDIT:

False comment.

Edited by Swoosh

Despite the landing gear design, you still have to swap parts to "deploy" the landing gear on this DX, this is Bandai's job, and it seems the poseable hand can not store inside the wing.

I'm pretty sure the poseable hand can store inside the wing. Look closer in the video and the special tamashii page. You can see the pin hinges on the fingers in the video. The trigger finger is way too defined and the rest of the hand is not flat like the old karate chop hands of the version 1 DX 25s. B))

Edited by SuperHobo

I'm pretty sure the poseable hand can store inside the wing. Look closer in the video and the special tamashii page. You can see the pin hinges on the fingers in the video. The trigger finger is way too defined and the rest of the hand is not flat like the old karate chop hands of the version 1 DX 25s. B))

Hope this is the case, thx for the clarification!!

I have mixed feelings about this release... The design would require a lot of improvements: would it have a renewal version and should I skip first revision ?

I really hope they get it right on first release.

I was completing the DX VF-25. Just a month after I completed the whole Skull squadron (the 1st version), Bandai announce the Renewal version. :angry:

If the front landing gear was shorter it would have a nice fighter dip and the back gears won't be so ackward.

this.

how will the plane take off if the rear landing gear doors scrape the runway when it pitches up? or is this catapult/carrier launch only?

Was there a solution to replace the front gears with shorter or nicer struts on any valk toys?

That could be a new shapeways thang... :D

this.

how will the plane take off if the rear landing gear doors scrape the runway when it pitches up? or is this catapult/carrier launch only?

Maybe its there to generate sparks during lift off and landing.. :p

The legs and weapon pod don't seem to peg together in fighter mode, that's worrying.

Arms are identical to the VF-25-----already look loose, will be very floppy after a bit.

Weapon pod seems to be pure friction, nothing pegged or locked into the open/raised mode. I think it may be even worse than the arms after time----a big floppy pile of parts never really holding in position.

Honestly, seems like they've learned nothing over the past few years and have made zero improvements. Every issue the -25 has or develops, the -31 looks to be prone to get as well.

The legs and weapon pod don't seem to peg together in fighter mode, that's worrying.

Arms are identical to the VF-25-----already look loose, will be very floppy after a bit.

Weapon pod seems to be pure friction, nothing pegged or locked into the open/raised mode. I think it may be even worse than the arms after time----a big floppy pile of parts never really holding in position.

Honestly, seems like they've learned nothing over the past few years and have made zero improvements. Every issue the -25 has or develops, the -31 looks to be prone to get as well.

That's not entirely true, the 25A has no floppiness in the hips, shoulders or arms. And my YF-30, which has spent it's entire life in Battroid mode is still fairly tight and not at all a floppy mess, unlike my original YF-29 Alto.

And why are we (as a group) complaining about pictures...AGAIN?

Even if this turns out to be a turd of a release, it's hardly fair to say they've (Bandai, Arcadia, whomever) learned nothing when every time there is new release people go apesh!t over every little detail on pre-production photos or promotional videos. Wait until it's in hand before making sweeping generalizations.

Can't wait for new pictures or details>these new pics and details suck!>I can't get a order placed!>I got one!>I broke it/it broke on it's own>Mine is good>When's the next release?

Every. Single. Time. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Not a rant, I'm not angry, it's honestly kind of funny, I just wish people would be more predisposed to being more rational, and objective.

But...carry on for the next 4-5 months.

-b.

From the video, the poseable hand is definitely stored inside the wing. During the transformation at 01:07 on the video you can see the person doing the transformation moving the fingers on the hand after the hand has been deployed from the wing.

Also, where to you get the idea that you have to swap parts to deploy the landing gear? At 00:43, we can see the rear landing gear wheels being rotated what looks like 180 degrees on the strut before the kneecap is closed and the landing gear stowed.