Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

18 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

More to the point: with all the rolling and whatnot that plane was doing in the footage, it would stall out and enter a flat spin (the thing that took down Maverick's plane in Top Gun).

With the engines in the B and D, I think they rectified that issue, or at least that's the impression I get from all the reading on it.. Yay/nay?

Edited by kajnrig

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

With the engines in the B and D, I think they rectified that issue, or at least that's the impression I get from all the reading on it.. Yay/nay?

The thing is: you tumble a plane like that and even a B or D model 'Cat is going to have issues with stalling. Maybe a B or D could recover from that easier, but I would hesitate to give that the benefit of the doubt.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Leave it to the private contractors to come up with attractice camo schemes again:

Am I correct that custom vehicle livery is no longer allowed under military doctrine? It's just a thing I heard somewhere (maybe even here) and never thought to confirm whether it's true or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 6:49 AM, Sildani said:

Boeing just unveiled a blended wing body design with low observable inlets and exhausts for a tactical transport. 

3D5F9687-D29F-45C0-BE25-5A7F893B4BA0.jpeg

95B7953E-C96D-4FF9-9897-6279667C0BC1.jpeg

Kinda reminds me of the SB10/10 Starwing from Macross Plus , with a little Quinjet thrown in there. Really nice looking design. 😍starwing.gif

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2023 at 7:34 AM, electric indigo said:

PLA Navy: How to build a F-35 that looks good & has two engines.

That's nice, its the turned up nose of the F-35 (and even F-22) that's ugly - I wonder why that's a characteristic?

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

That's nice, its the turned up nose of the F-35 (and even F-22) that's ugly - I wonder why that's a characteristic?

I have to assume there's both aerodynamic and radiometric science involved to minimize both drag and radar interference, but it might be partly about where the primary line-of-sight for the radar is located, since it looks like both the 22 and 35 have their arrays tilted upwards.

• 1 month later...

I visited the aircraft museum in Toulouse, France where they have not only one but two Concordes on display (a test aircraft and MSN 9 from Air France).

IMG_8951.jpeg.3dbe927ad6995fb25bc60c1f040bd581.jpeg

So excited seeing this beautiful bird in person. I’m even more excited about the potential Lego Icons set now.

IMG_8938.jpeg.2a2ebd542fc593806e5ec7e6ff1019e6.jpeg
The most stunning detail were the tiny windows.

IMG_8930.jpeg.9f27f9a7e289db4f55e300e5ff7ba048.jpeg

The Concorde flight simulator is cute too:

IMG_8973.jpeg.055188a8cbb36a507509c17cb384f77c.jpeg

They have a couple of more birds on display (for example an A380) so it is highly recommended if you are an aircraft nerd yourself (and in Europe).

IMG_8975.jpeg.f8f825a4c5f96662503c214c05946c0c.jpeg

Edited by Scyla

10 hours ago, Scyla said:

I visited the aircraft museum in Toulouse, France where they have not only one but two Concordes on display (a test aircraft and MSN 9 from Air France).

IMG_8951.jpeg.3dbe927ad6995fb25bc60c1f040bd581.jpeg

So excited seeing this beautiful bird in person. I’m even more excited about the potential Lego Icons set now.

IMG_8938.jpeg.2a2ebd542fc593806e5ec7e6ff1019e6.jpeg
The most stunning detail were the tiny windows.

IMG_8930.jpeg.9f27f9a7e289db4f55e300e5ff7ba048.jpeg

The Concorde flight simulator is cute too:

IMG_8973.jpeg.055188a8cbb36a507509c17cb384f77c.jpeg

They have a couple of more birds on display (for example an A380) so it is highly recommended if you are an aircraft nerd yourself (and in Europe).

IMG_8975.jpeg.f8f825a4c5f96662503c214c05946c0c.jpeg

Back when I was a kid, it was a really big deal whenever the concord landed at an airport. I think we were waiting on a flight at LAX “I could be wrong about the airport “ when it arrived once and there was such a big commotion and the crowd was tough to get around.  I got a fairly good look through the window, but not an upclose view.

1 hour ago, hutch said:

Isn’t that just the jet from Top Gun?

One piece canopy, different leading edge shape, different trailing edge shape, (probably) no vertical stabilizers, looks a bit smaller too.

18 hours ago, Dobber said:

Reminds me of the old Testers F-19 model

Chris

Yes! The F-19 Frisbee!  I had the model and a metal replica! I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I was a kid!

Twich

I thought they were experimenting with non-moveable control surfaces (no more ailerons or flaps) - I can't remember what that was called?  Would make future modeling and weathering a lot more simple and boring 😛

On 7/5/2023 at 11:45 AM, wm cheng said:

I thought they were experimenting with non-moveable control surfaces (no more ailerons or flaps) - I can't remember what that was called?  Would make future modeling and weathering a lot more simple and boring 😛

Aurora Flight Sciences is working on an X-plane for DARPA that utilizes active flow control to maneuver. Doubt it'll be part of the NGAD though.

Little bit unrelated, but the cricket [1] tournament known as "The Ashes" is happening on this side of the pond, and cricket being cricket, there are such long pauses between things happening that the T.V. cameras often wander around for things to look at - I only mention this because the other day they actually caught a F-35 (presumably a RAF "B" model) going past. Clearly more proof that this stealth stuff doesn't work and we should all go back to throwing rocks from Fokker triplanes like Grandad used to... 😉

[1] If you're unfamiliar with this British "sport", its rules are as peculiar as Quidditch only with every single thing that makes that game fun removed, and matches can last for literal days. And still end in a draw.