DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

I found the super parts for my version 1 RVF-25 which I had misplaced for a while and put them on the corresponding toy. As it was with the valks themselves, it really helped me appreciate the renewal version of the super packs more comparing the two and seeing side-by-side the improvements made. The lack of detail on the version 1 packs and the simplistic build are much more apparent. To me, it feels like the difference between normal LEGOs and Duplo blocks.

Snapped some shots of the two together.

Super_RVF-25_Luca_Fighter_v1_v2_01.jpg

Super_RVF-25_Luca_Fighter_v1_v2_02.jpg

Super_RVF-25_Luca_Fighter_v1_v2_03.jpg

Super_RVF-25_Luca_Fighter_v1_v2_04.jpg

Super_RVF-25_Luca_Fighter_v1_v2_05.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I got good and bad news!

Good:

I made a shapeway / scuplteo 3D design of the plastic piece that got broken in the VF-25th guns.

I also printed 8 of them to test!

Bad:

... but they needed a few drillings to fit in

Good:

... and they matched finally!

So for now I can provide 6 to whoever need one.

I will charge 2 euros for each, plus shipping costs from France or you can directly order a pack of 8 from sculpteo website for 9 euros.

And depending of the shipping charges, the costs may vary. Especially for the USA residents.

Please send me a PM if you are interested. If there are a lot of American interested, maybe there would be a way to reduce the costs, just let me know of what you think about it.

PS: The sketchup file may need to be tweaked to avoid any additional drilling after printing process, that is something I can do if I get more orders.

Pictures:

Before:

img_3298_size_410.JPG

After:

img_3332_size_410.JPG

img_3333_size_410.JPG

Edited by Xigfrid

I already made the drillings for the individual pieces.

I used a 2.0mm diameter drill bit, the first hole is easy to do, the second is a bit tricky. I will update the model with a version so that it would be much easier to drill the 2 holes.

Edited by Xigfrid

Finally sold off my last renewal piece. It was a fun line to dip my toes in but I think I'll pass on it in the future.

Might pick up a Ozama reissue if they ever make one for kicks, just to have a vf-25 class.

Though with Arcadia's current pricing scheme, I wonder if that would really be something fans would like (not to mention Frontier wouldn't have happened without Bandai right? or did I get that wrong somewhere?)

a VF-1 used to be sub 10,000yen pricing. Now, they're up there with the VF-25s' pricing (which is arguably more complicated to make then a VF-1), and this is based off an older mold.

I'm pretty well convinced that a good chunk of the VF-25's pricing is caught up in the obscene amount of tampo printing and painting Bandai has to do on each one. Personal dislike about Bandai's design choices and philosophy aside, the VF-25 is not an easy thing to paint, and the paintscheme is probably the most toy-unfriendly scheme on any valk, just because of how many decorated parts are actively rubbing against each other to transform.

Actually.. that pretty much applies to anything from Frontier. The paintschemes look cool, but the transformations weren't designed with toys in mind, much less model kits.

Edited by Chronocidal

Really? The VF-25a was one of the most boring valks I've ever seen, and had literally no details. So if we're paying for paint jobs and decoration we're really getting ripped off haha.

I've never really been impressed by a frontier's paint job.

Edited by Gakken85

Heh, I mostly just mean that the way the valks were decorated didn't go well with the idea of any kind of toy. If you want to build a transforming toy to last, you design it to use the least amount of paint possible around any moving parts, so it won't scratch off with repeated transformations.

You can get around things a little by molding parts in color, but the VF-25 just has little painted bits absolutely everywhere, especially on the parts that have to move and scrape against each other. Anything in the VF-25/27/29 family is just notoriously bad at this, because they designed the entire chest around a "move things around until one part loosely rests against another part and things kinda stay" mechanism, while all the parts involved also involve painted markings that are going to scrape off at some point regardless of how careful you are.

Though with Arcadia's current pricing scheme, I wonder if that would really be something fans would like (not to mention Frontier wouldn't have happened without Bandai right? or did I get that wrong somewhere?)

a VF-1 used to be sub 10,000yen pricing. Now, they're up there with the VF-25s' pricing (which is arguably more complicated to make then a VF-1), and this is based off an older mold.

Expensive plastic is expensive or thats what I have been told.

Plastic is cheap. Even better quality plastic isn't that expensive. Arcadia is increasing the prices so that they make a profit. Given that Yamato went under it stands to reason that the prices they were charging may not have been enough to cover the cost of designing, manufacturing and distributing their products.

Yes, $200-300 for a mostly plastic transforming toy is a lot of money. But at least Arcadia is willing to take a chance and continue producing these things.

Edited by Matt Random

Is there anywhere still selling super parts for the renewal 25A other than Ebay? I finally got myself locked in on my first VF-25, now it's time to dress it up and make it da bell of da ball.

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/macross/6193-macross-f-super-parts-set-for-dx-chogokin-vf-25a-messiah-valkyrie-regular-limited-edition.html

I'm think about getting my first bandai Valkyrie. Just got some funds and I'm ready to get back into this hobby.

Problem is I've always loved the yf-29 alto use but looks like it's really over priced. Should I just buy the YF-29 or buy the 25F and wait for a reissue of the 29 alto ?

Actually, I'm pretty sure every Bandai valk will get loose joints eventually. It's something about the way they're made, I think, but Bandai's joints just don't seem to hold up over time.

Doesn't mean they aren't very pretty though, and they come with a stand to hold them up. :) I'd go for whichever one you like, and can afford. Keep an eye out on the "For Sale" section on the boards here, sometimes people will have some great deals on some hard to find stuff.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm think about getting my first bandai Valkyrie. Just got some funds and I'm ready to get back into this hobby.

Problem is I've always loved the yf-29 alto use but looks like it's really over priced. Should I just buy the YF-29 or buy the 25F and wait for a reissue of the 29 alto ?

Go for the 25A, sure the 25F is more iconic for being piloted by Alto but from a dollar value perspective you can't beat the much improved quality of the 25A release. And it's still fairly available at decent prices (from $ 130 to $ 160 + shipping).

-b.

Depends on which colour scheme you like. If you love flashy ones go for Alto, if not, VF-25A is the way to go. Plus if you're going the A route, it's easier to get the super parts at a reasonable price.

OR if you want something more interesting, consider an RVF-25. Both the valk and the super parts with ghosts should still be easy to get.

Edited by close313