DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

@megaprime

The Frontier line mostly comprises releases by Bandai; they hold most of the licenses. Bandai's Frontier mecha toys come/have come in their Robot Damashi line (non-scale), 1/100 VF series, and DX Chogokin (1/60-ish); there's next to ZERO chance that you'll see cheaper versions from any other manufacturer within the next decade. Models (assembly kits) are available from both Bandai (transformable) and Hasegawa (fighter only) in 1/72 scale.

When discussing renewals, it should be noted that the term only applies to the YF-VF-25s (all variants) since there was an earlier release of VF-25s (Ver. 1) in the same "scale" that were almost universally panned as less than adequate renditions of the Messiah... hence, Bandai went back to the drawing board and we now have renewals. Be careful when shopping for VF-25s, specially on eBay, as a too-good-to-be-true price often means it's a Ver. 1 toy.

The DX Frontier line also includes other models (VF types) and accessories from Frontier, the 2 movies, and Macross 30 video game. These include the VF-27 (kind of a version 1.5 release as it's engineering/execution falls between the Ver. 1 VF-25s and the later renewals), the YF-29 (this toy was released just before the debut of the renewal 25 and was the test bed showcasing most of the line-art fidelity and engineering/execution that graces the Ver. 2 VF-25s), the VF-171 (released after the renewals and sharing the same attention to accuracy as the Ver. 2s, but with problematic shatter prone shoulder triangle pieces on the Canon Fodder version), and the previously announced and shown YF-30 from Macross 30 (one can expect it to be just as well engineered as everything in the DX line to come out after the YF-29).

Hope this helps in addressing some of your questions.

Edited by mechaninac

After leaving my 25A alone for yet another week, I decided to take it out and at least pose it in fighter on a shelf, all the while telling myself, "Don't try to transform it to battroid, you almost destroyed it last time, you just don't know how!" Sure enough five minutes later I found myself pulling the legs/hips down from gerwalk heading to battroid, but I knew it, I even felt it, I should have just left it alone. I officially broke the neck, the black "collar" piece around the neck snapped, and the housing around the neck "extender" disintegrated into two pieces, the head just kind of popped off onto the floor, looking up at me like "Why? Why couldn't you transform me? Why did you do this?" I feel kind of stupid, I completely mauled this thing as this point, and it seems like everyone else owns a half dozen of these and they can transform them by looking at them and snapping their fingers. I'm obviously disappointed, I never particularly liked the 25 other than fighter, but I wanted to have at least one in my collection. Since it's broke and mangled I can't gift it, I'm not handy enough to fix it, and I don't want to bother trying to sell what's left. My 29 Anniversary arrives tomorrow, if it ends up being a similar experience I'm just going to try to sell it here before I murderize another expensive figure :(.

Edited by Tking22

After leaving my 25A alone for yet another week, I decided to take it out and at least pose it in fighter on a shelf, all the while telling myself, "Don't try to transform it to battroid, you almost destroyed it last time, you just don't know how!" Sure enough five minutes later I found myself pulling the legs/hips down from gerwalk heading to battroid, but I knew it, I even felt it, I should have just left it alone. I officially broke the neck, the black "collar" piece around the neck snapped, and the housing around the neck "extender" disintegrated into two pieces, the head just kind of popped off onto the floor, looking up at me like "Why? Why couldn't you transform me? Why did you do this?" I feel kind of stupid, I completely mauled this thing as this point, and it seems like everyone else owns a half dozen of these and they can transform them by looking at them and snapping their fingers. I'm obviously disappointed, I never particularly liked the 25 other than fighter, but I wanted to have at least one in my collection. Since it's broke and mangled I can't gift it, I'm not handy enough to fix it, and I don't want to bother trying to sell what's left. My 29 Anniversary arrives tomorrow, if it ends up being a similar experience I'm just going to try to sell it here before I murderize another expensive figure :(.

The 29 transforms exactly the same way. Leave it in Fighter or Gerwalk and don't touch Battroid if you're having that much trouble figuring it out.

Tking22, just to let you know before you consider transforming the YF-29, be aware that it transforms nearly the same way as the VF-25. Since you've had some difficulty with your VF-25A, you may run into similar issues with the YF-29 unless the issues with your VF-25A were due to manufacturing error(ie. parts not fitting correctly, causing difficulty during transformation).

A key difference in transformation procedures of the VF-25 and YF-29 to keep in mind is that the YF-29's legs are not supposed to be "straight" when in fighter mode. You need to have the GERWALK joint moved one click forward in order for the slot in the lower leg to be positioned correctly for the tab on the wing to connect to. If you try to transform the toy back into fighter mode without the legs properly positioned, you could stress some plastic trying to force the tab into the slot.

Tking22, just to let you know before you consider transforming the YF-29, be aware that it transforms nearly the same way as the VF-25. Since you've had some difficulty with your VF-25A, you may run into similar issues with the YF-29 unless the issues with your VF-25A were due to manufacturing error(ie. parts not fitting correctly, causing difficulty during transformation).

A key difference in transformation procedures of the VF-25 and YF-29 to keep in mind is that the YF-29's legs are not supposed to be "straight" when in fighter mode. You need to have the GERWALK joint moved one click forward in order for the slot in the lower leg to be positioned correctly for the tab on the wing to connect to. If you try to transform the toy back into fighter mode without the legs properly positioned, you could stress some plastic trying to force the tab into the slot.

The transformation sliding the head out is exactly the same as the 25 and that's the part he can't grasp.

Do you have pics of where it broke, as i would like to take a look at the dmg and hopefully it will be a warning to others on where it might break

There was nothing wrong with that 25A. It was the nicest Renewal I had put my hands on. I'm not sure where it went wrong.

My guess is the sliding neck mount + elevating dog bone wasn't done properly and got over stressed when trying to bring the back plate down.

The transformation sliding the head out is exactly the same as the 25 and that's the part he can't grasp.

Tking22 was told that the YF-29 toy transforms exactly the same way that the VF-25 toy does. I made a clarification since that isn't true.

As far as the head transformation process, I don't know for a fact if Tking22 is unable to grasp the transformation process or that the issue may lie with his VF-25A toy having parts that don't fit properly, which could cause the difficulty he has experienced with the transformation.

The point of my previous post is that he should be aware of the difference in the leg transformations of the two toys. He has had a negative experience with his VF-25A toy. I would hate to hear that he ran into problems with the YF-29 toy as well.

The head base plate on my YF-29 is much harder to slide into place for Battroid-Mode than on any of my VF-25 except Ozmas ride.

This is exactly the same for me as well. We need pics to see where it broke so we can diagnose what has happened.

NY has -25Fs available for sale that they are claiming to be reissues. Since they are the only ones with them in stock I doubt that this is the case. I'd like one, and should have picked one up as soon as I saw them there because at the time they were selling them for 18,000 yen. The VERY NEXT DAY, when the tornado packs were available for pre-order they bumped the price up to 26,500 -most likely in hopes of raking in more money in an anticipated buying frenzy. The price has since dropped to 25,500. <_<

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/4884-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-25f-messiah-valkyrie-saotome-alto-custom-renewal-version-reissue.html

after owning the 25F (sold it) Im now a believer that bandai does deliver a high quality product with the 25 renewals.

Prolly getting the 25A and Ozma Lee 29 to represent the 25-ish valks in my collection. Cant wait to see the 30 prophecy, but maybe will wait until they release a better paint scheme. Not a fan of the white/alto/bright valks.

NY has -25Fs available for sale that they are claiming to be reissues. Since they are the only ones with them in stock I doubt that this is the case. I'd like one, and should have picked one up as soon as I saw them there because at the time they were selling them for 18,000 yen. The VERY NEXT DAY, when the tornado packs were available for pre-order they bumped the price up to 26,500 -most likely in hopes of raking in more money in an anticipated buying frenzy. The price has since dropped to 25,500. <_<

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/4884-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-25f-messiah-valkyrie-saotome-alto-custom-renewal-version-reissue.html

Yeah, those 25F's on Nippon-Yasan have been siting there forever. I almost feel bad for not pulling the trigger on an extra before the Tornado sets were announced, but I just remind myself that even before this last price-hike they were over SRP.

I'll wait for a re-issue, hope to find on somewhere else or just do with what I have.

-b.

From my experience with transform-able toys I can say that the secret is patience, light touch and find a decent video on the net. Although I do agree that the Bandai Macross line of models are some of the hardest to transform.

This has left me scratching my head. I have been keeping an eye on the 25F and they were JPY18000 until a couple of days after the Tornado packs release, at which time they increased the price to JPY23500. The price has remained the same until yesterday when it had increased to JPY25500.

I highly doubt bandai will do a second reissue for the 25F esp when they have yet o reissue the 25S but stranger things have happened

It doesn't have to be either or, most of us would be happy with Bandai re-issuing the 25S, F and G.

-b.

Whether it be re-issue or new release I'm not talking about the business merits of why or Bandai will re-release one Valk over another. It's just a matter of what I and/or others are hoping for.

That said, someone earlier posted here, or in another thread that by now Bandai has recouped any costs associated with the development of the DX line (especially the 25 Renewals) and I would agree so at this point it's probably all icing on the cake for them.

So bring on the re-issues AND new releases. :)

-b.

Bandai probably makes more money will a new run than a reissue. That's why we keep seeing new color scheme and models with slight modification from existing ones.

Wasn't the reason that Bandai released a re-issue of the VF-25 models because the first run was not that good? Or have I got that wrong?

Still, judging from success and the current prices of the 25 models Bandai will make a nice profit whether it is a new run or a re-re-issue.

Whether it be re-issue or new release I'm not talking about the business merits of why or Bandai will re-release one Valk over another. It's just a matter of what I and/or others are hoping for.

That said, someone earlier posted here, or in another thread that by now Bandai has recouped any costs associated with the development of the DX line (especially the 25 Renewals) and I would agree so at this point it's probably all icing on the cake for them.

-b.

Amen. Anything will do considering the high prices on the secondary market. Although I quite wish for Bandai to come out and release a nice large scale model (1:32 or bigger). It is probably just a dream but the DX line would look magnificent in large scale in my opinion.

-b.

I speculated the only reason why we'd ever seen Bandai making all of these additional paint schemes is they've already paid for the molds so there's little risk in attempting new paint schemes. Actually, at this point there's probably more risk in re-issues as a new scheme has the charm of being new and anyone may want one. A re-issue is only going to be sought out by those few who didn't manage to get one the first time and that market is going to be smaller.

I speculated the only reason why we'd ever seen Bandai making all of these additional paint schemes is they've already paid for the molds so there's little risk in attempting new paint schemes. Actually, at this point there's probably more risk in re-issues as a new scheme has the charm of being new and anyone may want one. A re-issue is only going to be sought out by those few who didn't manage to get one the first time and that market is going to be smaller.

Then Bandai could mitigate their risk by releasing the 25S, F and G in smaller numbers, but if you take a look at the secondary market by way of prices or lack of availability to see that there is money to be made by Bandai by revisiting those models.

-b.