Actually, I thought it looked pretty awesome.

Gimmicky.

Plus, they didn't even do a good job of coordinating the actors.

At 1m05s, both pilots do this silly-looking arm thing, and the timing of both is off. Which one is the Jaeger going to emulate?

At 1m26, they show both walking. Their legs, especially their left legs, are in completely different positions:

post-179-0-34443300-1355732873_thumb.png

Which one is the Jaeger going to emulate?

At 1m34s one of the pilots does that thing where you punch your other open hand. Does the other pilot have to do that, too? If not, which one does the Jaeger know to emulate?

At 1m41s one of the pilots punches from a crouching position:

post-179-0-98417900-1355733137_thumb.png

The other pilot is clearly not doing the same thing. How does the Jaeger know which pilot it is supposed to emulate?

Like I said before, I hope they provide a good explanation for why this system is done in the film, because I can easily imagine it being given some cheap lip-service because its true goal is probably to create some dramatic situation between two of the pilots.

Gimmicky.

At 1m05s, both pilots do this silly-looking arm thing, and the timing of both is off. Which one is the Jaeger going to emulate?

At 1m26, they show both walking. Their legs, especially their left legs, are in completely different positions:

At 1m34s one of the pilots does that thing where you punch your other open hand. Does the other pilot have to do that, too? If not, which one does the Jaeger know to emulate?

The other pilot is clearly not doing the same thing. How does the Jaeger know which pilot it is supposed to emulate?

Like I said before, I hope they provide a good explanation for why this system is done in the film, because I can easily imagine it being given some cheap lip-service because its true goal is probably to create some dramatic situation between two of the pilots.

The Godannar Jeager has two pilots because the twin drive requires two hot blooded individuals working together to power up, duh!

Edited by Keith

Gimmicky.

Ever played a Wii? Who says the gestures they make have to have any sort of 1 to 1 correlation to what the Jeager is actually doing? Regardless, it's a pretty simple algorithm, even now, to assign a person as controller 1 and controller 2 and coordinate what controls what functions. I'm not saying you won't end up being right, because maybe they weren't focused on making this nats-ass accurate (because this isn't a real Defense program for a Mech that actually HAS to work) or maybe they're lazy. But there are other explanations that could be possible.

The Godannar Jeager has two pilots because the twin drive requires two hot blooded individuals working together to power up, duh!

It's a plot device to have someone who lost a copilot have to overcome their fear of linking with someone else again. The loss is apparently very traumatic and usually kills both people, but one of the main characters survived and is emotionally damaged as a result.

A Jaeger is also apparently too much for one person to handle on their own. Coyote Tango shows only one pilot, but if you look at the text on the blueprint it looks like it's the first Jaeger that was built(it's listed as Mk1, whereas the others are listed as Mk2, Mk4, etc), so maybe they ran into problems with the solo pilot. Just speculation, though.

Is this "two guys operating one unit" or are they operating two different units. Don't get a bee in your bonnet about this sort of stuff yet.

It has already been stated that it is two pilots operating a single unit.

OK, I checked out the rundown from the MTV-hosted (really?) director's commentary of the trailer. Here is some text about the dual pilots:

No one person can pilot a Jaeger, the massive robots created to combat the Kaiju. Such a piece of machinery can only be operated by two pilots, serving two very specific functions.

"The pilots wear suits that are neurally linking them," says del Toro. "They have a spinal clamp that links their spines. They have relay gel in their helmets that transmit their impulses to one another. They move in synchronicity. One is handling the neural network of the left side of the Jaeger, and the other is handling the neural network of the right side of the Jaeger. They are connected between them."

So, that provides a reasonable explanation of why the pilots aren't physically in sync. But I still think it is gimmicky and I don't know if Syngyne posted the actual plot device or not, but what he/she wrote sounds reasonable enough. I think it is there just to serve some plot device.

So, that provides a reasonable explanation of why the pilots aren't physically in sync. But I still think it is gimmicky and I don't know if Syngyne posted the actual plot device or not, but what he/she wrote sounds reasonable enough. I think it is there just to serve some plot device.

While it probably does serve a plot device, consider how many operators it takes to pilot something like a Tank, and those things just roll around. The difficulties of tying together a Tank with the ability to move like a human would be exponentially higher.

Except, you don't have the gunner steering a tank. <_< you give different people different jobs.

This looks like it has everyone doing the same job, and makes it REALLY hard to believe it would ever work remotely well. If they split up the arms and legs? Sure.. but each one operating one leg and one arm? Seriously? :rolleyes:

No one person can pilot a Jaeger, the massive robots created to combat the Kaiju. Such a piece of machinery can only be operated by two pilots, serving two very specific functions.

"The pilots wear suits that are neurally linking them," says del Toro. "They have a spinal clamp that links their spines. They have relay gel in their helmets that transmit their impulses to one another. They move in synchronicity. One is handling the neural network of the left side of the Jaeger, and the other is handling the neural network of the right side of the Jaeger. They are connected between them."

And in the movie there is a male and femal pilot, geez I can see the plot unfolding already - and it smells terrible.

so theoretically we might see one hand cop a feel while the other slaps the face :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw something that I find curious, and bothers me a bit:

When they are dropping the Jaegers into the water, they show at least 8 (probably 9 due to their formation) CH-47 Chinook-looking helicopters dropping the Striker Eureka.

Now, the Striker Eureka is 6,650 tons (13.3 million pounds/6m+ kg), meaning each helicopter is carrying, at least, almost 740 tons.

The lifting capacity of the modern CH-47 is about 20 tons. Even the C-5 Galaxy, the USA's largest cargo plane, generally carries only 135 tons.

So I guess the take away from this is that, in the near future, not only do we have giant mecha (awesome!) but super-duper amazingly powerful helicopters, too (awesomer?)!

When they are dropping the Jaegers into the water, they show at least 8 (probably 9 due to their formation) CH-47 Chinook-looking helicopters dropping the Striker Eureka.

Now, the Striker Eureka is 6,650 tons (13.3 million pounds/6m+ kg), meaning each helicopter is carrying, at least, almost 740 tons.

The lifting capacity of the modern CH-47 is about 20 tons. Even the C-5 Galaxy, the USA's largest cargo plane, generally carries only 135 tons.

So I guess the take away from this is that, in the near future, not only do we have giant mecha (awesome!) but super-duper amazingly powerful helicopters, too (awesomer?)!

Your overthinking this WAY too much...

Maybe it's actually much lighter than it's stated weight and that number is just something to throw people off for national security reasons.

Don't forget that F-22s have two cannons, that apparently fire from the intakes.

Don't forget that F-22s have two cannons, that apparently fire from the intakes.

Forgot about that one.

But did you notice how the 'rat-tat-tat' of the machine guns appears to either be gone, or turned down really low, in the new trailer?

Your overthinking this WAY too much...

Hey, they (the Pacific Rim people) are making up the rules of the game as they go along. I am just playing by them.

They didn't have to release spec sheets with a whole bunch of 'cool' sounding stuff on them but, by Jove, I will use those spec sheets to call them out on the super-copters!

Thanks for pointing that out. Since this movie is clearly so unrealistic I am not going to go and see it now.