Gipsy Danger poster:

mjkhLSj.jpg

Also, someone on another forum I read saw an advanced screening.

I had the opportunity to see a screening of this on Saturday. I'm not the kind of person who goes all film school on my film reviews.

It's good. It's damn good. The plot is direct and not exceptionally original and that doesn't matter one bit because as Spry said, it's not trying to be something it's not. The characters are simple, but not cardboard cutouts.

The mech designs rock and the kaiju are awesome to terrifying. They're also a freaking love letter to everything from Gojira to Ultraman, design-wise. The fights are solid, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I plan on seeing it again, damn straight.

Del Toro was there and after the film he hung out with the crowd asking questions and seriously really listening to what folks were saying about the film. He was also nerding out hard core over giant robots and kaiju in general. One guy had a copy of the collected works of Lovecraft in his hand, Del Toro got to discussing "At the Mountains of Madness" at length witht hat guy, in Spanish. A lot of enthusiastic tone and arm waving.
I got to shake his hand. (Squee!). Seriously nice guy!

I feel like a lot of people want to hate on these designs because they aren't specifically made bytheir favorite anime mech designer. I'll admit Gipsy Danger or the Chinese one don't look that great but I believe the other three are really cool looking. Actually, I find that monstrous Russian design quite awesome. There's an obvious homage to a nuclear reactor going on with that head piece and it's also a frightening, menacing hell of a top-hat. It looks like a brute and I love it.

Edited by Mommar

I feel like a lot of people want to hate on these designs because they aren't specifically made their favorite anime mech designer. I'll admit Gipsy Danger or the Chinese one don't look that great but I believe the other three are really cool looking. Actually, I find that monstrous Russian design quite awesome. There's an obvious homage to a nuclear reactor going on with that head piece and it's also a frightening, menacing hell of a top-hat. It looks like a brute and I love it.

I don't care if the mecha looks great or looks like crap. I just want a good movie.

And I trust del Toro.

Sorry no offense, but please tell me that Europe (or Euro Union) is not represented by that ugly Russian looking one...

I will be watching this though.

I'm afraid Eurozone wasn't able to afford a Jaeger: speculative stock in Cypriot banks have devalued investments....

Anyhow, this just looks better and better. I actually quite like the 'ugliness' of the Russian looking one. Most military machines are quite ugly in general - but this is part of their appeal for me, at least!

Here's a simple explanation. Its called "Pacific" Rim not Atlantic. That's why there aren't any other nations from Europe represented aside from Russia being the exception as it actually borders the Pacific Ocean.

Thank you, although I suspect that some will struggle to get their heads around that concept.......

I'm afraid Eurozone wasn't able to afford a Jaeger: speculative stock in Cypriot banks have devalued investments....

LOL :)

I guess Gipsy Danger was probably made in China ;)

I'm even more looking forward to this movie now, not for the mecha designs which look random generic but for the monsters and because Del Toro movies have never failed at entertaining me so far

I'm not too keen on the aesthetic of the mecha designs, but that doesn't mean they're "bad" it just means I don't like them. Eager to see the movie.

It's simple. Giant robots onscreen that are not frikkin transformers or comic book characters? I'm there.

Trading cards with Jaeger stats.

Go Australia! :)

Go STRAYA!!! indeed. Of course, with the best stats and most kills, it means that Eureka Striker (Cool name if you know Australian history) is not going to survive till the end of the film. D'OH!!!

Del Toro surely ordered the production staff to include a Mexican model somewhere in the material for the film? Could they top the Tequila Gundam?

Edited by Marzan

Del Toro surely ordered the production staff to include a Mexican model somewhere in the material for the film? Could they top the Tequila Gundam?

Top the mighty Tequila? Doubt it, the Russian one already has a sombrero.

• 2 weeks later...