I just saw it with the crew screening in Toronto and it's AWESOME! There's some obvious dialogue which will help out the 11-12yr olds in the audience. I hope it will blow their minds out of the water as Star Wars did for me.

It's pretty fantastic and the action doesn't let up. It really does show that ILM can actually do robots properly (I wasn't sure after the Bayformers) and someone actually understands mass, weight and inertia.

I gotta go back and see it in IMAX now in a theatre full of real audience. Guillermo was so kind and gracious that he even showed up to thank us and introduce the film. This was pretty much the top of my career so far - so much fun. Please everyone go see it and I can't wait to hear what you guys think of it. (look for Macross references in the Conn Pod interiors!)

Awesome to hear. Must feel really cool that you were part of the project!

I know. I just felt kinda bad since we'll be getting it, like three whole weeks before they do. :(

Don't feel bad. It's usually 3 to 6 months after!

When "Finding Nemo" was in theaters in Japan, I mailed my wife (girlfriend at the time) a copy on VHS, so she could watch it at home if she wanted to.

Based upon the quality of the other movies I've seen this summer, I now expect this to fall flat just like the rest. Why we expect anything other than mediocre from a summer movie at this point is beyond me...

Woohoo!!! I've just bought the first toys I've ever worked on! They're also my first American made toys... boy what a let down in quality. I can only hope the movie becomes popular enough to warrant the Japanese creating toys for it.

post-244-0-00129100-1372003261_thumb.jpg

Yep, being so intimately familiar with the designs, its heartbreaking to see all the cool stuff omitted from these toys. There is no articulation, the balance is so bad and the joints so weak that you basically have one dorky standing pose to have them in (balance without tipping over - mostly for Gypsy Danger) - some joints are really lose, its the luck of the draw and the cheap PVC/rubbery material they used. They aren't really that playable. The Crimson Typhoon poses much better than Gypsy Danger (I can't seem to get him in any decent poses without falling over 30mins later). Oh well, that's US toys for ya. Just glad the made any! Too spoiled with better engineered Japanese toys I guess.

I had a mind to skip these and I'm glad I did. From the beginning, these Jaeger toys did not look like the were made for the older, collectible market but were instead targeted straight at the under age buyer (with quality accordingly lacking). Course, I was always going to wait until I saw the film first, but I'm glad to hear I can pass on these.

Although if everyone passes on these toys - that's a guaranteed way to make sure they don't make any better ones down the line! They're only $25 bucks each, its not like they're a huge investment.

Although if everyone passes on these toys - that's a guaranteed way to make sure they don't make any better ones down the line! They're only $25 bucks each, its not like they're a huge investment.

I'd rather give you the $25 dollars :)

Seriously, I'm long past the age of paying for crap, whether it's toys, movies, music or whatever. Besides, I've been outside the target demographic for most popular culture for some time and I'm very much enjoying the benefits. But don't lose faith! I'm sure the demographic these toys are aimed at will gladly hand over money for sub-standard merchandise...I know I once did :)

I'm reposting this from the Voltron thread per anime52k8's request...

I think there is a ton of bias around here against american companies versus Japanese ones no matter how brittle, poorly made, sloppy painted, or prone to random disintegration the $500 to import MECHABLASTOR Z FINAL GETRO VERSION DX from Japan is.

Edited by renegadeleader1

If you aren't atleast somewhat concerned about the movie you are fooling yourself.

I would not be concerned based on anything in that "article" at any rate. Basically it is a bunch of people saying things about the process rather then anything about the film in particular. Looks like a piece someone puts together on a REALLY slow news day.

That said, I personally think this may be a flop - but the buzz around me has been positive so far.

Hasbro or Takara-Tomy or Bandai should be doing these toys. Big company more than the origin matters since it's all going to be made in China anyway. All they need is basic articulation and some gimmicks for kid versiona, though ideally a premium version with enhanced articulation, better paint apps, removable panels, etc could exist too.

If you aren't atleast somewhat concerned about the movie you are fooling yourself.

Please name *one* movie that you have enjoyed this year so far......?

A lot of interesting discussion in this article. The "Inception being a flop" stuff was funny, but then again, I think that marketing was pretty slack for the film in the same way as Pacific Rim. I think that the lack of Pacific Rim marketing is due to the fact that the morons don't know who to market this film to. I think that the marketing at the moment is having the impact of putting women off seeing the film (I love the trailers, my wife does not) so if they want to do something about not driving away 50% of the potential audience they had better get their shite together....

Please name *one* movie that you have enjoyed this year so far......?

Released this year? Warm Bodies, Iron Man 3, and Trek were all entertaining. I have yet to see Side Effects, Spring Breakers, and Much Ado About Nothing (thought they are in my Netflix queue).

I'm planning to see Pacific Rim, Only God Forgives, The Worlds End, and Elysium in the next few months.

Edited by Duke Togo

that assumes the maker gets another chance at the IP lincence from any future sequels...

I made this with the jaeger maker:

r9o.png

That reminds me, I need to get around to watching Atlantic Rim.

will that be corrisponding Pr0n version of PR?

I've only seen positive stuff from people that are seeing the early release showtimes on twitter.

I think that the marketing at the moment is having the impact of putting women off seeing the film (I love the trailers, my wife does not) so if they want to do something about not driving away 50% of the potential audience they had better get their shite together....

I think this is a stereotype comment. They are marketing for people that like action movies, etc. To market it differently would just get them blasted after the movie comes out. Plenty of women are interested in the movie. Plenty of men probably aren't interested either. Just depends on if awesome robot vs monster action is your cup of tea. :)

will that be corresponding Pr0n version of PR?

No, that would be Pacific Rim Job.

Atlantic Rim is the Asylum mock-buster. I think someone posted the trailer in this thread already.