Hehehe that looked like the skeleton of american godzilla sitting on the carrier deck in the trailer. Overall I think it looks pretty damn good. The few of you that keep hating on it seem to have no appreciation for the classic Super Robot, and Dai-Kaiju film genres, and seem to have been expecting something like Gundam or Macross real robot side of the mecha spectrum.

Well now...that was bloody awesome. As always I must temper my enthusiasm with pragmatism, but this movie just went from "trust Del Toro/willing to take a chance" to "definitely checking this out opening night" :)

Gotta say that while the super robot and kaiju themes are all over this flick, there is a lot more real robot influence in here than I expected. The trademark real robot tropes are all over, from the gritty, realistic look of each Jaeger right down to military operation and deployment of them. Not a clown colored mecha in sight. Most impressive.

They get Adam!

I'm just going to assume that you're thinking what I'm thinking and We're both seeing lots of Evangelion in what's being shown in the trailer. It has the same, Giant monsters that defy science and conveniently attack the same place every time allowing us to fight them with hugely over-elaborate robots that can engage the monsters in fist fights, sort of theme going on.

I'm still don't find the robots to be my cup of tea but they do look better in action. I'll probably go see it and enjoy it even if I'm not going to be clammoring for good toys of the robots.

The more I see it the least a like it, what a f.......ing waste of an excellent premise. I can't believe how people could like these designs, they are so bland and boring looking, even the designs of the robots in a super robot anime have strong silhouettes and are iconic looking (Mazinger, Grendizer).

I don't know what happen to Hollywood artists but robots are not their forte definitely, They ruined Kawamori's work in Bayformers, just imaging Macross and Evangelion in the hands of the talent-less hacks in Hollywood give me nightmares.

The trailer was entertaining, high production values, certainly does not look cheap.

Appears to have some great moments but too much cheese.

For me personally, if I had to fight giant monsters in the Pacific, I want something faster, less clunky.

post-8486-0-40810300-1355405066_thumb.jpg

Give me monster-skin piercing missiles that can blow heads off and I'm ready to go.

Look, here I am ready to launch...

post-8486-0-69450800-1355405103_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

Wah, wah, blah, blah, doesn't look like my favorite Anime... get over yourselves. You don't like they way they look don't watch it. Crying that a bunch of Mech's designed by Americans (and at least one Mexican) don't look like they're Japanese is stupid. If they tried to make them look Japanese you'd complain they look like cheap Japanese imitations. Del Toro was influenced by the Japanese but he sure as hell isn't stupid enough to try to copy them. These things had to look different. You may not like the design, but if you don't think that Cherno Alpha doesn't have it's own discernible look you're crazy or lying to yourself.

Edited by Mommar

I like the difference in opinion here and celebrate the discussion.

Good debates make forums interesting.

For me, I've always like the personal craft idea, something fast and adventurous. From the small of Iron Man and Mospeada ride-armors, to Valks and Ingrams.

The big-as-a-building, shared experience giant robot in Pacific Rim does not float my boat as much - so far.

Will eventually see it and find out if they surprised me and I find this approach as equally appealing, only in a different way...

I thought it look fantastic (but I always knew it would).

ILM really out did themselves (although there was a little too much Transformer motion in the last shot). I thought it look visually spectacular.

It comes out on my birthday! Please everyone, at least go see it to make up your minds (if anything, at least show Hollywood in the pocket books that there is indeed a market for robot movies - then they might make something you'd like, or at the very least, pay for my toy collection :p )

Don't you worry your talented little head wm cheng,the marketing campagin is working well and that trailer was definitety a hit. Odds are very good movie goers will be flocking to this one and I'll be there opening night. All the film sites I frequent are filled with excitement and praise for this film. You've done good, so relax, positive word of mouth is high.

I am interested and hopeful since it is Del Toro. Will it make everyone happy, no, does it look like it will be a lot of fun, yes. Will we all come out of the movie with our inner 7 year old yelling, "Rocket Punch!" I think we all know the answer to that.