How do you like your VF-11 1/60 yamato?

arrow

VF-X scheme done on the new kit---now I want Yamato to do it even more:

http://mecha-guy.blogspot.com/2011/07/vf-11b-thunderbolt-macross-plus-hobby.html

i'd definitely go for that.

since i don't have any of the newer valks, my fave valk to transform right now is my VF-11B. although, i hope they make that tab that locks the front fuselage in f-mode stronger... mine has crumbled away and i had to replace it using a piece of gray plastic from an old sprue tree and some super glue. after repeated transformations with the fixed tab, it seem to me that my fix is more durable than the original tab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, the pricepoint is kind of killer for a valk you don't see much in Plus. Still, I want one. Whether I pay the full MSRP or wait for a big Yamato sale from HLJ completely depends on what is going on at that particular time. If I am going through a bit of a toy drought, then I'd bite at the full price, since I know it's such a great toy. I guess the C shows up lots in Mac 7 though, which I haven't seen beyond one episode since every time I try it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Edited by pud333

More like "most boring over-used schemes ever". It wasn't the design/fame/price, but the uninspired paint they used. Let's see:

1. M+ grey! Again! Like the previous 2 Yamato VF-11B's I had... Grey+orange isn't that neat a scheme in the first place. You can do Jolly Rogers over and over again because IT'S AWESOME. Grey+orange is not.

2. M7 "blow-up white". THE most boring valk scheme ever, it looks like the un-built VF-1 kit. With subtle pink accents. Yeah, plain white+little pink bits is what every valk fan wanted on the 2nd release...

I think a GOOD scheme would sell better. Like, you know, the much-fan-requested VFX-2. Did Yamato listen at all to our requests? Who asked for M7 boring white? I don't remember seeing many. But I did see VFX-2 a lot...

And of course, Milia. Milia often sells out---see how many red VF-1J's you can buy right now without paying over MSRP.

More like "most boring over-used schemes ever". It wasn't the design/fame/price, but the uninspired paint they used. Let's see:

1. M+ grey! Again! Like the previous 2 Yamato VF-11B's I had... Grey+orange isn't that neat a scheme in the first place. You can do Jolly Rogers over and over again because IT'S AWESOME. Grey+orange is not.

2. M7 "blow-up white". THE most boring valk scheme ever, it looks like the un-built VF-1 kit. With subtle pink accents. Yeah, plain white+little pink bits is what every valk fan wanted on the 2nd release...

I think a GOOD scheme would sell better. Like, you know, the much-fan-requested VFX-2. Did Yamato listen at all to our requests? Who asked for M7 boring white? I don't remember seeing many. But I did see VFX-2 a lot...

And of course, Milia. Milia often sells out---see how many red VF-1J's you can buy right now without paying over MSRP.

^This is the reason I don't have one now, nor ever will.

-Kyp

I love you, Dave but I find your logic somewhat flawed.

Freud might say you may have a Jolly Rogers fixation. As for the Plus scheme, you see, gray means machine and orange means caution so this VF-11B is perhaps the most dangerous Valkyrie :3

Ok here's the thing. They released the two VF-11 schemes that are the seen the most out of all Macross media. In fact, we've probably seen the VF-11C the most out of any Valkyrie ever. Ask a Macross fan in Japan and they'll probably say the VF-11 comes in either the Plus or 7 colors. Doing anything else for the first two releases is like trying to make a Zaku that isn't green or whatever color Char's Zaku is. I'm not passing judgment on the other schemes, but when you want to see a VF-11 then this is what people are going to expect.

Do you have a source on this polling? I general I think they listen to the Japanese fans and not the foreign ones. I'm not sure how many of them were pining for a Valkyrie from a game that was over ten years old.

And how many Milia non-VF-1s can you buy under MSRP? Because Milia's VF-22 is pretty cheap on HLJ. Hell they gave me one just to review :3

not that I'm complaining of course ^3^

As for the price, well it's the same deal with the Destroids. VF-1s are the cheapest because there's about 20,000 variants you can do with the same basic toy. And that's not counting two seaters which make up a very small segment of the VF-1 family. So coupling the fact you can spread the cost over so many variants and the fact the VF-1 is the most iconic Valkyrie ever it's a sure win at that price. With everything else it's not always a sure bet. Main character Valkyries do well, but secondary machines can sit around for a while. And honestly I don't think a lot of people were interested in the VF-11 so much by itself, but as an accessory to other Valkyries (much like the Destroids). And I don't doubt they sell they as cheaply as possibly given all the factors involved.

I'm glad they made both VF-11s as I enjoy them both. I am disappointed that we may never see an armor set but I can hold out a little hope for some web exclusive down the line maybe. How about some 3rd party action being used to make armored parts for the VF-0 and VF-11. Clearly the fan companies are doing what everyone wants amirite.

Edited by VF5SS

I'm with Dobber. That 11C at almost $200 killed its chances.

I've already lost interest in the VF-17 because of the price. Though I appreciate Yamato's engineering and wouldn't want them to make it any other way (well making them more durable the first release would be good). But manufacturing them at that level is just getting too expensive for me.

Also it's not like we didn't know the VF-11C was coming next since they went to all the trouble of engineering the escape pod feature even if it was only shown in Macross 7. Kinda like how the VF-1D was a shoe-in when we saw all the VF-1s would come with the removable nose section and mounting bracket which we seen even less than the VF-11C escape pod.

it's all about patterns

I really dig the 11C. I like white robots in general. Vf-1's, Ultra Magnus, Mass Production model Eva's, etc. Dunno why. They just really appeal to me. Maybe I'm secretly racist against other coloured toys and I just don't know it yet. :blink::o:ph34r:

Edited by pud333

I really dig the 11C. I like white robots in general.

same here.

for me, it just looks right. it gives mecha a very pleasing (for me) old-fashioned futuristic aerospace look,

that, to my eye, harkens back to the halcyon glory days of the late 1970's/early/mid 1980s, the days of NASA and it's SPACE SHUTTLE program,

of STAR TREK; THE MOTION PICTURE and vast imaginations running wild about an optimistic far flung future of space exploration...

i mean, God, just imagine the raw imagination and creativity of a period that spawned magnificent works of high-technology art such as these;

3excel.jpg

220039229_o.jpg

...two fairly disparate fictional space-worthy vehicles that share a common sense of majesty about them, IMO,

both of which, consequentially, were conceptualized within less than five years of each other.

those are my personal examples, but there were/are oh so many more. truly a great golden age of conceptual aerospace design...

Edited by Shaorin

Green Zaku's at least have "that military look", do to being multiple shades of camo green. The M7 VF-11C just looks "unfinished". Sure it may have the most screen time, but doesn't make it the most-wanted. We see a lot more red Vajra's than Ozma's valk, but what's more desired? It's more of a "time spent being awesome" than "total time spent on-screen" thing. The VF-11C spends most of its time being blown-up in stock footage. As do red vajras. Ozma really isn't seen that much, but when he is--he's being awesome.

Green Zaku's at least have "that military look", do to being multiple shades of camo green. The M7 VF-11C just looks "unfinished". Sure it may have the most screen time, but doesn't make it the most-wanted. We see a lot more red Vajra's than Ozma's valk, but what's more desired? It's more of a "time spent being awesome" than "total time spent on-screen" thing. The VF-11C spends most of its time being blown-up in stock footage. As do red vajras. Ozma really isn't seen that much, but when he is--he's being awesome.

I love my two bright white VF-11C's. It has very clean lines. I never got a B because I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme. I would get a VFX-2 Jolly Rogers Scheme as well as a Max and Milia if they made them though.

Yeah, the white certainly does evoke a sense of the future and our own space travel, as well as movies. eg: scenes from 2001 Space Odyssey, and the other stuff mentioned. There's just something so pristine and steril. Though I understand being tired of a basic white scheme. Most of my Macross collection is primarily white/grey. Right now the only thing that sticks out are my Monster and the Vf-27.

While we're at it, I wouldn't mind a red vajra either. That would be cool. Though it would be hella big in a 1/60 scale.

Ok maybe I confused you by talking about Zakus. Although I think Zakus are more popular because they're piloted by regular people and charismatic villains. Green or not, they're something people can see themselves using. Also if you read Gundam Sousei (which is complete gospel truth), Okawara talks about repeatedly using the Zakus in the show to get people to like them and give the sense they are machine anyone can pilot.

And honestly, bad guys in Macross are a non issue because very few people want toys of them. I mean who wants to be a dumb space giant, space god vampire, or a space bug? Only people who view these things as machines and not characters. These people are weirdos.

Obviously Ozma sells more because he's a good guy with a good guy robot. Practically every Valkyrie falls into that narrow set of aesthetics and proportions that constitute a hero machine. So obviously, people want a hero over faceless space bug.

With the VF-11 they fall into this category more as support mecha but they are still part of the good guys. Yes there is the element of doing cool things but there is also the element of exposure. Again, other than because you waaaaaaaaaaaaant it should they be making color schemes from games over a decade old? I don't think it's unreasonable to assume people would want something from the show they watched. That's why they're in the show. For myself, it's a combination of those things. I like the show and the Valkyries in the show. If you saw my video review of the VF-11C I still have my quaint little VF-11C Bandai kit and for me this was a chance to get something better. Maybe Yamato figured since it was part of the show (and an easy recolor from the VF-11B) that they could get some of the nostalgia for this Valkyrie and the kids who bought that little old kit. Clearly they miscalculated, but most of what they did was sound.

They made the Mass Production type VF-1As and they never do anything cool. It's kind of tradition to make those. They even made that brown VF-1J for the lulz.

I know it's difficult for us because we've been effectively excluded from the equation (not that international fans have a lot of say in most things Japanese) but we always have to consider what the Japanese fans want. These are toys made for Japan. We're just a nice bonus for online retailers. So really, we should be asking what's the buzz in the Japanese communities. They are difficult to pin down, but oh well.

As for everything else? Let me use my completely made up conversation.

"hey company why don't you make this"

"well we feel it wouldn't sell"

"no totally I'll buy two and my friends will as well"

"ok here's the thing. i'm sorry it cost a little more but we made it how you wanted it"

"naw i'm gonna wait for clearance"

>:[

"hey company why don't you make this"

"well we feel it wouldn't sell"

"no totally I'll buy two and my friends will as well"

"ok here's the thing. i'm sorry it cost a little more but we made it how you wanted it"

"naw i'm gonna wait for clearance"

>:[

:lol: :lol: :lol: !

Edited by Reïvaj

You know what I think? They would have bought a vf-11 (the japanese kids) if there wasn't so much macross valk to buy ahead of it.

We got macross toys from mac7, plus, and frontier as well as sdfm. I can imagine the grunt is the last mech on their list of things to buy.

It's not so much that they don't want one, but "how badly do they want one over the other valks?"

I'm sure they are just saving and taking ages to get around to it. If milia came out as a limited edition maybe this would force people to preorder and front up the cash early?

Personally I don't get the logic behind vf-11 being boring "because it is grey". IMO it actually makes the robot more appealing but I think it must have to do more with mac plus the anime not being as popular there?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker