Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

I bag on HG a ton...but it's silly stuff like this that's hurting the Macross brand.

What other series gets a region lock for a NicoNico stream?

Well, keep bagging on them then, I guess.

Because here's how I see it (warning: educated guess based on industry and franchise experience follows).

Thanks to the success of Frontier, Delta is seeing an unprecedented amount of industry interest from an early stage. Toy companies had no idea that Frontier would be the hit it was. As a result many of the toys were late to market.

With Delta, we already have the Macross Modellers Consortium announced with 6 model companies, and a1/6 scale battroid will be displayed publicly almost 6 months (if it airs next season and not earlier) before the series even debuts.

That's a level of support and promotion neither Zero nor Frontier received.

Having so many companies involved, everything is going to be set out contractually. ANY potential legal issues will need to addressed.

Due to this, I think they have been battening down the hatches to avoid even the smallest possibility of a challenge or problem with a certain copyright holder outside of Japan.

As we have noted in SpeakerPODcast, recently Evolution a toys said they were not allowed to do an English version of instructions for their new VF-2SS. Then, in an official video for the Hi-Metal R series, an English disclaimer was added to the end that these toys are available in Japan only.

Region locking the niconico stream continues this trend.

Does it suck for overseas fans? Hell yes.

But I can't really blame them for wanting to protect themselves against a company that has even gone after fan film projects.

I won't say any more on the matter here because this isn't the thread for it. But that's my 2yen.

Edited by Tochiro

Well, keep bagging on them then, I guess.

Because here's how I see it (warning: educated guess based on industry and franchise experience follows).

Thanks to the success of Frontier, Delta is seeing an unprecedented amount of industry interest from an early stage. Toy companies had no idea that Frontier would be the hit it was. As a result many of the toys were late to market.

With Delta, we already have the Macross Modellers Consortium announced with 6 model companies, and a1/6 scale battroid will be displayed publicly almost 6 months (if it airs next season and not earlier) before the series even debuts.

That's a level of support and promotion neither Zero nor Frontier received.

Having so many companies involved, everything is going to be set out contractually. ANY potential legal issues will need to addressed.

Due to this, I think they have been battening down the hatches to avoid even the smallest possibility of a challenge or problem with a certain copyright holder outside of Japan.

As we have noted in SpeakerPODcast, recently Evolution a toys said they were not allowed to do an English version of instructions for their new VF-2SS. Then, in an official video for the Hi-Metal R series, an English disclaimer was added to the end that these toys are available in Japan only.

Region locking the niconico stream continues this trend.

Does it suck for overseas fans? Hell yes.

But I can't really blame them for wanting to protect themselves against a company that has even gone after fan film projects.

I won't say any more on the matter here because this isn't the thread for it. But that's my 2yen.

The unfortunate reality of this activity is that is encourages Chinese knock offs on a grand scale...HG cannot block Japanese imports and so blocking Western consumers from their products doesn't help their revenue potential on this series. HG has no legal standing to stop consumers from buying Macross products purchased directly from Japan.

Edited by Zinjo

I don't disagree with your analysis, but I do find it odd that the copyright holder is even pretending to be afraid of a licensee like that.

And I'd like to point out that everyone with a legal footing does not have a copyright. HG DOES hold certain key trademarks in the US, and international distribution rights to... something, but they have no copyright whatsoever.

(I actually think it's pretty shady how HG attributes copyright to Tatsunoko instead of Big West, though I know the legal status is actually more complicated than just "Big West owns it.")

*** New Kawamori mecha revealed!! ***

... Not a VF, though. He is designing transformable cars in a collaboration for Toyota. :)

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/727/913/html/ms29.jpg.html

http://www.digimonostation.jp/news-trend/caritem/id37452

Anyway, carry on! You still all have one more day of speculation until the actual Delta mecha designs hit!

post-1318-0-18826400-1446036313_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-41056500-1446036323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

VF-31 confirmed.

Prototype Chogokin to be displayed at Tamashii Nations 2015 starting this Friday.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Huh, based on that promo image the wings didn't look canted down like they are in this photo.

I like the silhouette. But yeah, I agree, promo pics doesn't show it like that. But, it might be a feature on the DX, a hinged wing tip for fast/speed mode. But somehow I'm thinking, are they making a transforming 'Yukikaze' planes now? ;)

I might be a cranked arrow delta with a forward swept tip instead of a cranked up tip...

That would be neat. I too am kinda getting sick of forward-swept valks. I love the -19, but seems like there's been too much exposure lately. Keep it "rare". But delta-winged valks---need more!

Luckily I did not buy the YF-30 when it was 17k yen back in August from Akiba Jungle.

Argh, I think I am collecting too many lines at the moment.

RD Dunbine - completionist

Metal Build - semi completionist

Frontier Delta VFs - semi completionist

Arcadia - semi completionist post 2015

Threezero - some designs only

Diaclone Reboot - Just started

Super Robot Chogokin - some designs

If it is a forward-swept, can I boo it now? I would like to see something new instead of yet another forward-swept wing design.

Preaching to the choir over here bud... :unsure:

If it is indeed ANOTHER forward swept wing, someone needs to read the principle of "Diminishing Returns" to our dear friend Kawamori san.

Edited by Zinjo

Huh? Everyone wants to see the new destroids. :ph34r:

I don't understand the love for Destroids (and their faceless pilots) at all. Especially if the look as awful as they did in the Delta trailer (assuming they where part of the trailer). I like the Koenig Monster but that is a transformable aircraft. ^_^

I don't understand the love for Destroids (and their faceless pilots) at all. Especially if the look as awful as they did in the Delta trailer (assuming they where part of the trailer). I like the Koenig Monster but that is a transformable aircraft. ^_^

Because some people like big, walking tanks.