Will the V.1 VF-1 maintain any collector's value?

Omegablue

Was looking at my V.1 VF-1J 1/60, and wondering if I should sell it to contribute towards the V2?

But now I'm also wondering if their value has dropped, or will it increase as it probably less produced than the 1/48 and 1/60 v2?

Damn, it's already 7 years since the V.1 1/60.

Edited by Omegablue

I think that the value will drop as the kids of the 80s that grew up playing with Macross toys and watching the cartoons begins to dwindle.

Unless the new generation has a knowledge of this 80's Macross.

That's a good point...

Maybe releasing the original series all redone with the technology used in Frontier and Zero, might be needed to keep the franchise alive in the future?

So far in here many have sold off their v.1 1/60's for cheap prices and I was lucky to snag a 1A Max at a very good deal (my first and only Yamato VF so far). I think these are very special stuff though, I won't mind getting the 1J Max if I can.

I completed the version 1 VF1 series thanks to collectors dumping over the last year. I am sure that the value of the Version1s has dropped but I find them endearing nonetheless. Plus its nice and weighty.

I think most people are getting rid of it to get the evolved V2. The V1 was amazing toy when I first got it in 2007, I meant it was the best VF-1 valkyies toys ever made after the junky monkey. If you put V2 and V1 side by side now you will see how streamline it is for V2 especially on the legs and chest plate.

I sold all my V1 in 2003 for what I paid.

I think because of the newer 1/60 VF 1 the originals will drop in value. The main reason is because the new line is doing all the exact same valks from the original line with better features and articulation. Why would the old ones go up in value? Now let's say the new line didn't make two seaters or M&M valks, the original line version of those would have gone up a lot, but not now, we know we are getting all the valks and then some. There just no real reason for someone to want the old ones unless they are a completist. I never got the originals, I never liked the leg transformation crap, I want PT toys all the way.

Why would the old ones go up in value?
Why wouldn't the old ones go up in value while the newer ones are easily attainable? Sentimental value, nastalgic, and fond memories help sustain the value of the old school chunky monkies... Its a part of th 80's kids that grew up playing with them that led to this mile stone of the new 2.0.

Hello guys, i was reading this thread, thought i might chip in some of my thinking for the version 1 values.

Okie, as you know all version one requires removeal of the legs to transform from valkyrie to battleroid, and also it's hardly stable because of the weight distribution. Though it's made of diecast, it's unlike the bandai chunky monkey which is perfect transformation but not close to anime. And at that time, it's the best thing we got for the macross.

But considering the price for the 1/60 PT VFs, and the price then, i figure people would sell off their ver 1.0 to fund for ver 2.0

And with the chunky monkey to compete on diecast and transformation, of cos the value will drop.

Of sentimental value, i think the chunky monkey would represent the toys we have in the 80s! Yamato's 1/60 ver 1.0 is sort of like a mixture of both 1/48+ chunky monkey, but of cos more anime like. So with the new devolopement, i think the 1/60 ver 1.0 would really drop in value, further more with the ver 2.0 PT, unless the ver 1.0 is dirt cheap, we can't expect value to go up, when a improved version with PT is out.

Thus to conclude, i think Ver 1.0 might not maintain any collectors value..

1/48, i think will at least maintain some value, but 1/60 ver 1.0 is hard to maintain its value consider all the pros & cons.

v1.0 you're going down!!! :lol:

As people have already mentioned,

the v1.0 does not fill any niche that

is not filled by better toys.

Also remember that what drives the

price is the demand. i don't see any

increase in demand in the future so

I don't think it's value will go up.

Sold them..........Heck No!

I threw some away in the trash, gave some away to my domestic helper, so she could send them back to her kids in her country and tried to give a few to my son, but he turned his nose up at them, with a greedy eye on Daddy's 1/48s and V2 1/60s.

Selling them never even crossed my mind.

I mean just who the frak would want to buy them in this day and age, when there are so many better options available?

Graham

When I first discovered Yamato Macross toys in January 2008 I was buying everything I could get my hands on and eventually picked up a few v1 1/60's. After I got my first 1/48 Yamato Valk I got rid of those 1/60's like they had swine flu. After getting all the 1/48's I picked up the v1 1/60 Elint, Super Ostrich, and Trainer just because they were not made in 1/48 scale. Then came the v2 1/60's and I held on to my originals until word came that the Elint was being released in the new scale. That did it for me and my last v1's had to go to help fund and make room for the new 1/60's.

It's really a no brainer and I don't think they will be worth anything, simply because of the improvements given to the new toy. There's really nothing nostalgic or charming about them. I believe those two characteristics are what give toys value.

Here's a scenario: If Yamato was to release a v2 1/48 with all the improvements of the new 1/60, chances are the old 1/48's would drop even more in value than they have already. Thing about the 1/48's though is that they are nostalgic. Their scale alone gives them charm and all the quirky features that prevented them from being great gives them charm.

Again, nothing nostalgic or charming about the old 1/60 other than the new version reminding us how bad in a bad way it really is IMO.

:mellow:

I sold off all my first three VF-1's and I am keeping my super VF-1's v1 plus the cannon fodder. I really see no need to sell all my version 1 valks. I bought them for a reason. I like Macross. I see no need to buy the version 2 stuff if all they are going to make is VF-1 stuff. So for me it saves me money to buy newer offerings from Macross. Buying the same thing over and over again just because its new. Never made since to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

Why wouldn't the old ones go up in value while the newer ones are easily attainable? Sentimental value, nastalgic, and fond memories help sustain the value of the old school chunky monkies... Its a part of th 80's kids that grew up playing with them that led to this mile stone of the new 2.0.

I think the problem with that view is that the Chunky's has sentimental value because they were what adult collectors now had as kids. the v.1 1/60 were marketed from the start to adults who wanted a real high end collectors item. the v.2 fills the same function only orders of magnitude better. I don't see the v.1's ever gaining any value back in the future.

Just to echo most of the replies here:No the Vf-1 V1s will not appreciate in value. Instead, the value has already dropped and will probably continue to drop. The only scenario where teh value could be maintained is where the rare variant(s) isn't released in the newer forms.

However, we all know that all the versions that came out for the V1s will be released in V2.... and more! So....nope, no chance of them appreciating again.

having said that, I won't be selling them away, for the simple reason that nobody wants them anymore( unless they have been living under a rock for the past year or so) and more importantly, I can't get a good price for them.

Probably will save them for my kids in future so that they will (hopefully!!) leave my newer collection alone.

otherwise, i can always use them for experiments..... just like this one! Look at how white it is now! thanks to the magical H2O2

added a "before" pic to compare the 1/60 v1's color difference

edit: added pic

post-701-1242102323_thumb.jpg

post-701-1242102465_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueMax

just throwing this out there... :)

i'm just wondering, what people's opinions are on this so-called "collector's value" of their toys? is this appropriate only for MISB collections? what of collectors who open their toys and have no plans on selling any of their stuff for whatever reason?

do people really constantly think about the value of their collection as if they're going to sell it the next day?

i do admit to doing this a good while back, but i always remember somebody who said that it doesn't feel like a hobby (w/c is supposed to be fun) when you always think about what you've spent and what the value of your collection currently is... 2¢ :)

I really see no value in the V1's in the near future. $35 bucks seems to be the going price and think its gonna stay that way. I found it odd when I got back into the hobby to see how the V1's were getting dumped by everybody. But I can see why.

just throwing this out there... :)

i'm just wondering, what people's opinions are on this so-called "collector's value" of their toys?

Well, myself I'm now a self collector, meaning I buy what I like to keep and enjoy out of the box. Though at one stage, many years ago, I was helping a friend with his toy store and importing them, and even started to meet the sculptors and actual owners of toy companies, and fell into the trap of buying multiples to resell. It was crazy, I would buy 3 Bome figures for example, hold them for a couple of years, and resell them at 300% when off the markets.

It was fun at one point, especially how the collectors community sucked up. But then realized how totally weird it was when adults took something beautiful like a toy or a figure, horded them in sealed air tight boxes in the hope to make money at a later stage. It's denying someone the opportunity to just own one, and enjoy it for what it is, and forcing that someone to pay more than what it actually is worth. And stopped when realizing how I was buying crap just to make a profit. It was time consuming, space consuming and the game eventually became very aggressive as more self opinionated people popped up. With it my friend also dropped out of the toy business cause of this. Though he was more involved than me. I was a casual compared to most.

Anyway, to answer you directly, my collectors value is now based on how much an individual really likes his/her toy, and if he/she is willing to part with it or not. Still sometimes, out of interest I like to know if older stuff is keeping it's value from rarity, or was it a collectors hype from a few years back.

BTW, collectors of MIB rely on the so called 'scarcity' which is a similar concept that lead to the present economic crises. Scarcity of materials and etc, which lead to hiking the prices, forcing over debts and thus here we are. LOL :lol:

Well, myself I'm now a self collector, meaning I buy what I like to keep and enjoy out of the box. Though at one stage, many years ago, I was helping a friend with his toy store and importing them, and even started to meet the sculptors and actual owners of toy companies, and fell into the trap of buying multiples to resell. It was crazy, I would buy 3 Bome figures for example, hold them for a couple of years, and resell them at 300% when off the markets.

It was fun at one point, especially how the collectors community sucked up. But then realized how totally weird it was when adults took something beautiful like a toy or a figure, horded them in sealed air tight boxes in the hope to make money at a later stage. It's denying someone the opportunity to just own one, and enjoy it for what it is, and forcing that someone to pay more than what it actually is worth. And stopped when realizing how I was buying crap just to make a profit. It was time consuming, space consuming and the game eventually became very aggressive as more self opinionated people popped up. With it my friend also dropped out of the toy business cause of this. Though he was more involved than me. I was a casual compared to most.

BTW, collectors of MIB rely on the so called 'scarcity' which is a similar concept that lead to the present economic crises. Scarcity of materials and etc, which lead to hiking the prices, forcing over debts and thus here we are. LOL :lol:

nice story... thanks for sharing that... yeah, "scarcity", i get that... granted that business IS business, and w/ toys it doesn't really sound too evil ^_^ ... but say we change the "3 Bome figures" w/ "3M++++ barrels of oil"... and thus here we are... LOL :lol:

Anyway, to answer you directly, my collectors value is now based on how much an individual really likes his/her toy, and if he/she is willing to part with it or not. Still sometimes, out of interest I like to know if older stuff is keeping it's value from rarity, or was it a collectors hype from a few years back.

yeah, pretty much the same here... ^_^

Edited by m0n5t3r

it's odd that some retailers still have the 1.0 at non-discounted prices. waiting for someone who doesn't know any better I guess.

actually i also noticed that in some stores

her in singapore. previously, i don't remember

seing the v1.0 in any store in CSC. however,

after a few months of the v2.0 coming out,

i saw some of the v1.0's coming out.

i would like to think that they are selling these

items because it was sold to them by people

who are parting with their v1.0 rather than to

think that they are selling these in the hope

that some noob won't notice the difference.

i think they are still selling at around 100 sgd.

actually i also noticed that in some stores

her in singapore. previously, i don't remember

seing the v1.0 in any store in CSC. however,

after a few months of the v2.0 coming out,

i saw some of the v1.0's coming out.

i would like to think that they are selling these

items because it was sold to them by people

who are parting with their v1.0 rather than to

think that they are selling these in the hope

that some noob won't notice the difference.

i think they are still selling at around 100 sgd.

if the shop owners really bought back the V1s, I seriously think that it is a VERY bad investment... unless they got it at dirt cheap prices, but then their pricing is pretty much the retail prices when they were 1st released, if not more expensive!

if the shop owners really bought back the V1s, I seriously think that it is a VERY bad investment... unless they got it at dirt cheap prices, but then their pricing is pretty much the retail prices when they were 1st released, if not more expensive!

i agree, but then what's going on behind the scenes, no one knows.. lol.

But seriously unless you're a newbie to macross, you will be tempted to buy especially when u have no one to guide you on what to get.

But seriously unless you're a newbie to macross, you will be tempted to buy especially when u have no one to guide you on what to get.

Well it depends on the person. When I started to collect figures and etc, I refused to purchase any of the Macross valks at that stage (before the v.1), as they weren't accurate. Even the chunky-monkeys never did it for me. ^_^

I don't buy my toys because they are going to appreciate in value some day... I buy my toys so that I can appreciate them by playing with them and displaying them right now :p That also means that when a new and improved version comes along, I will heartlessly sell/give away the older versions for cash/space for the new ones-- hopefully before the older version drops in value too much. I'm cruel that way ;)

• 4 weeks later...

As long as Yamato & Bandai keep pumping out new toys, updated versions with better & newer gimmicks, paint jobs, articulation, etc. It will be harder for the older versions to rise in value. I'm sure there are those out would disagree, but now a days it more or less New flavor of the month vs. I gotta have that rare V.1 1/60 to fill the gap or that older 1/55 Takatoku model VF-1A CF.

Lets be honest 10 years ago, if you had a 1/55 VF-1S Hikaru DYRL Strike, it might have been worth close to $1500.00 or more. ( I Still have mine, box and all & will not sell it, to much personal value to me) But know a days your lucky if you can get $250.00 for it, There just to much to choose from now a days.

I think if toy making were to halt for say 3 or 4 years, prices on the old 1/55, V.1 & V.2 1/60's would go up in value. And the now depreciated 1/48 would become what it already is in my eyes which is a collectors item. Especially since its scale size 1/60 from here on out.

The bottom line is this, If you bought the toy, you like it, hell you even love it and could never see replacing it, then thats all the value you need. If its a matter of resale, well thats up to the buyer & economy.

My 1/3000 SDF-1. VF-1S DYRL Strike 1/55 circa 1984, 1/8 Mospeada Ride Armor. Never selling them, now way, no how.

im still keeping my v.1 :) in fighter mode only.

so now i can display v.2 in either battroid or gerwalk mode and still get to admire

the same valk in fighter mode from v.1.

for eg, v.1 VF1D in fighter mode and v.2 VF1D in battroid mode :)

there's still some nice features in v.1, they arent that bad.

Off topic somewhat:

Did the Transformers G1s hold their value after the re-release of the G1 line?

Back on topic:

Out of all my Yamies the only toys I see holding any value are maybe my V-11B, the YF-21, the supposedly limited edition VF-22 I have on order and the Destroids. That is only because I don't see any reason for Yamato to release another version of the toy as they are almost perfect in my eyes toy wise (anime magic issues aside). That said if Yamato brings out a bunch of repaints or reissues in the future they probably won't be worth dick. ^_^

I pretty much knew this was going to turn into a crack habbit when I started. No need to go into rehab now just because I thoughts I had feeble thoughts about collectablity and value. Those have quickly been squashed. :( Anyway I am a happy junky :lol: ...........despite what my credit card says! :ph34r: