Macross Frontier Episode 19 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 19  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (SHERYL Episode!!!!!!!!!! <3)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Sheryl should eat some pineapples)

Also noticed that Ozma ate the paper off his Super Chili Chili Dog. Must have been HUNGRY.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed!

I really enjoyed the episode though, nice to see some plot advancement, backstory and relationships evolve without deviation or pointless sillyness.

Just finished the episode, put me in the camp that doesn't believe the three dancing Vajra are Ai Kun.

Thank you.

Although on observation is it hard to believe they are people cosplaying over the top. I believe they are in fact Vajra but I don't think Ai-kun is one of them, that would be a little too quick.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe they are Vajra. We see the nest hatching during the concert so I don't really see any reason to believe that there'd be three Vajra of that size just hanging out. I also don't think Vajra are sophisticated enough to hang out in a crowd of humans and not draw attention to themselves either before the concert started or immediately following it. It was odd that our attention was brought to them for so long so who knows... but I don't think it's Ai Kun.

Are the scripts compatible with the raws? Or would i have to adjust the delay to get corret sync? I wonder why [gg] files are so big, 370 mb!

I had to do a lot of adjustment with bsplayer... but it was good enough after I kicked it around a lot :D

I thought they were cosplayers---just look at the other cosplayers---the people on Frontier have GOOD costumes.

This is what I initially thought. It could still be true, but it does seem odd that we are made to focus on these 3 in specific.

That's true, but you're in denial if you don't think Ranka looks and acts 12, even though she's suppose to be 16.

Even Mao in Macross Zero looked older and more mature than Ranka does.

To be fair, Ranka never jabbed her fingers into Alto's ass, like Mao did to Shin...

All I've got to say is this :

"Alto, for the love of GOD, please do the right thing and don't go loli on us by picking Ranka!!! Be a man and pick the chick with tits and ass...PICK SHERYL!!"

That is all.

-Kyp

Yeah, because a girl's body is the best measure of her worth. To hell with everything else :rolleyes: Alto for Shallow Hal, 2008! ^__^ Granted, Ranka does look a tad young, but still encouraging on looks... :lol:

Interesting episode. It wasn't the Sheryl episode it's labeled as, rather a nice blend between all three. Thanks to recent debates and how little they actually capitalized on episode 18, I no longer know what to think about Sheryl. Ranka seems to finally get the inkling about Breara. Points to Klan and Michel for slapping some sense into two of the leads. The cliffhanger was a tad generic, but worked well. I liked the use of the first opening for a standalone ending.

Episode 20 should be epic.

This isn't related to the episode, but the Lion leak in the first post: Does anyone have a working copy of the single? IZArc can't extract the files.

Edit: nevermind, winrar worked( but I don't like winrar )

Try 7zip. It's the best, and it's free. I've never even heard of IZArc.

"Is it just me or does SK freaking love the bay area or what!?!? "

yeah. it was awesome that it actually sort of looked like Pier 39 (despite some rearrangement) I'm still waiting on the inside of Galaxy to be some futuristic take on my hometown of San Jose.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe they are Vajra. We see the nest hatching during the concert so I don't really see any reason to believe that there'd be three Vajra of that size just hanging out. I also don't think Vajra are sophisticated enough to hang out in a crowd of humans and not draw attention to themselves either before the concert started or immediately following it. It was odd that our attention was brought to them for so long so who knows... but I don't think it's Ai Kun.

Take a look at the Vajra screenshot on RMC's blog (9th row, 2nd picture) http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008/08/14...ss-frontier-19/

That is no cosplayer and the dude on the right even thinks so! :ph34r:

Anyone keen to make an assessment of what transpired between Sheryl and Alto when they were embracing?

I find Alto very inconsistent, what was he thinking when he was flying during Ranka's concert? If the GG subs are correct, he said, "Sheryl, watch this..." and went on to paint an arrow directly to the heart. Was it meant for Ranka or Sheryl?? :ph34r:

Anyone keen to make an assessment of what transpired between Sheryl and Alto when they were embracing?

I find Alto very inconsistent, what was he thinking when he was flying during Ranka's concert? If the GG subs are correct, he said, "Sheryl, watch this..." and went on to paint an arrow directly to the heart. Was it meant for Ranka or Sheryl?? :ph34r:

I think he was trying to show Sheryl how skillful he is at flying, tying back into their conversation about how her past words of encouragement for him and Ranka have helped them.

But, yeah, a lot of facepalming going on at my home, about how mixed a signal that was. Trying to show one girl how much her words meant to you, by flying an arrow through a heart at the *other* girls concert. Geeze, blockhead.

Good that Michael finally hit him with the clue-by-four and gave him the cluephone. Let´s see what comes of it next week ( prediction: Not much, Vajra attack and Leons coup delay anything substantial ).

About Sheryls and Altos embrace, either she confessed ( eh, not so likely ) or she told him about her condition ( more likely ). We will probably get a short flashback to it at the beginning of next episode, before the poo hits the fan.

Edited by magnuskn

I interpreted it as Alto figuratively flipping Sheryl the bird because she'd been so stubborn earlier. "Forget you and your drama, I'm declaring my undying love for Ranka." The problem with this interpretation is that it would require Alto to realize both of the girls' feelings for him (which he seems willfully ignorant of), so I think I'm probably wrong. :) But it made the most sense to me at the time.

On the other hand, I took the RANKA :wub: to be a routine part of the stunt sequence, as a declaration of love for Ranka from the Frontier citizens, rather than from Alto in particular. (And of course, Ranka then misinterpreted it.)

I think Alto still had something to prove to Sheryl, but I'm not exactly sure what. He's still pretty much in denial about the girls having feelings for him, so... no idea. I still think it's more likely that it was a defiant gesture, rather than a romantic one. Perhaps he was mad at Sheryl for being involved in his brother's plans, and was asserting that he'd stick with his plans of flying.

The tiff between Sheryl and Alto seems based on the fact that Sheryl decided to stop singing, and Alto can't believe that she's giving up like that. Whatever message he's trying to send to Sheryl must be related to this.

In the preview: I'm particularly intrigued with the last shot of Michel and Klan. An explosion seems to go off somewhere nearby. I originally thought they might be flying together, but maybe they're just sitting somewhere inside the city while the fighting rages on. Michel's in his EX-Gear, while Klan seems rather underdressed? :blink: Since I doubt there are macronized EX-Gears, I assume Klan's in her micronized form. Klan seems pretty well covered up most of the time, so that drew a few puzzled glances from me.

I really think we're going to see multiple major characters die in the coming episode. We've been faked out a couple times before, but that only tends to strengthen my belief that things are going to take a seriously dark turn soon.

Also: As suspected, Leon doesn't seem to know Grace's full plans with regards to the Vajra. He sees the dimension eater weapons as the means to hold the Vajra off for a long time (almost seems to get a hard-on from it), which I'm sure isn't part of Grace's plans at all. Meanwhile, he seems like a kid in the candy store about finally getting permission to off Glass and declare martial law. This probably plays into Grace's designs, too. I wonder how long Leon will be running things before Grace stabs him in the back.

Edited by DeeBot

I interpreted it as Alto figuratively flipping Sheryl the bird because she'd been so stubborn earlier. "Forget you and your drama, I'm declaring my undying love for Ranka." The problem with this interpretation is that it would require Alto to realize both of the girls' feelings for him (which he seems willfully ignorant of), so I think I'm probably wrong. :) But it made the most sense to me at the time.

I don´t think so. I tend to go with Swampstorms interpretation, that Alto wanted Sheryl to see how much her words from back then had inspired him. But, as I said a few posts above, he really did choose a lousy venue to do so.

In the preview: I'm particularly intrigued with the last shot of Michel and Klan. An explosion seems to go off somewhere nearby. I originally thought they might be flying together, but maybe they're just sitting somewhere inside the city while the fighting rages on. Michel's in his EX-Gear, while Klan seems rather underdressed? :blink: Since I doubt there are macronized EX-Gears, I assume Klan's in her micronized form. Klan seems pretty well covered up most of the time, so that drew a few puzzled glances from me.

I really think we're going to see multiple major characters die in the coming episode. We've been faked out a couple times before, but that only tends to strengthen my belief that things are going to take a seriously dark turn soon.

It´s not impossible. Some things that Michael said were major death flags, but I still hold out hope that it won´t be him.

As for Klan, if things move fastly, i.e. the Vajra attack and Leon makes his move, then she is in the unenviable position to be caught in the trouble while micronized. It stands to reason that Michael would want to protect her.

Also: As suspected, Leon doesn't seem to know Grace's full plans with regards to the Vajra. He sees the dimension eater weapons as the means to hold the Vajra off for a long time (almost seems to get a hard-on from it), which I'm sure isn't part of Grace's plans at all. Meanwhile, he seems like a kid in the candy store about finally getting permission to off Glass and declare martial law. This probably plays into Grace's designs, too. I wonder how long Leon will be running things before Grace stabs him in the back.

As long as she´d need to set herself or a puppet up to take over from him. But then again, why do so, if Leon already so willingly obliges?

Too bad breast size isn't related to one's sexual maturity.

That's true, but you're in denial if you don't think Ranka looks and acts 12, even though she's suppose to be 16.

Even Mao in Macross Zero looked older and more mature than Ranka does.

While it's true that Ranka's character looks young, I don't agree necessarily that she acts 12. If you want to make that argument, you would have to say that Sheryl is exactly the same. During the previous episode, I couldn't help but think how Sheryl's drama words and actions are just like my 6 year old daughter's when she can't get her way.

"Why Ranka and not me? Boo hoo hoo. Instead of getting a second opinion on my condition, I'm going to leave the hospital and stagger around in the rain even though I'm near death. That will show you!"

The difference though, is that because her character design is more mature, her actions are perceived in a totally different manner (except for by Grace, who I think characterized Sheryl's actions perfectly).

I think he was trying to show Sheryl how skillful he is at flying, tying back into their conversation about how her past words of encouragement for him and Ranka have helped them.

But, yeah, a lot of facepalming going on at my home, about how mixed a signal that was. Trying to show one girl how much her words meant to you, by flying an arrow through a heart at the *other* girls concert. Geeze, blockhead.

Good that Michael finally hit him with the clue-by-four and gave him the cluephone. Let´s see what comes of it next week ( prediction: Not much, Vajra attack and Leons coup delay anything substantial ).

About Sheryls and Altos embrace, either she confessed ( eh, not so likely ) or she told him about her condition ( more likely ). We will probably get a short flashback to it at the beginning of next episode, before the poo hits the fan.

I think it was more like "I'm trying hard, too. Watch me."

I think folks are reading too much into the stunt. If ALto made the arrow, it sounds like Michael made the heart. So if we're going to be obtusely literal here, that means Michael also <3s Ranka. Alto really has no clue what he's doing and that is the reason ultimately Michael has to tell him to choose. That and I'm sure he's aware that to his knowledge SHeryl has very little time left.

Prior to that, I'm still more touched by the conversation between Alto and Sheryl... or rather fight... where Alto more or less tells Sheryl "Well I'm going to be at RAnka's live, I expect you there." It was sad to see Alto and Sheryl bicker like that when Sheryl really wants him to come to her on his own, but (I think if she has interpreted everything so far) would be discouraged to say anything beyond that. If I were her, I'd be so utterly confused by everything at this point that a confession would probably not come from her because her pride (if he denied) would be shattered.

It would take a massive emotional recovery for her to be able to bear that rejection. So I don't see her confessing without some provocation. (OF course if someone offs it in the next episode, I could see a few scenarios -- particular if it's Michael. Klan Klan could push the situation. SHe's the only one who understood Sheryl so far and having seen the events of the "Date" is most likely to pick up the slack for Michael and beat the crap out of Alto.)

But back to that act, I saw it like Alto subconsciously wanting Sheryl not just to rally herself but to hopefully be reminded of her passion for singing, and perhaps also be there to see him perform. It's hard to say because again, Alto doesn't know squat about himself which means we the viewer are going to be also confused until we see how the decisions play out in this final end run to this arc.

As for Leon... beh. My estimation of his character dropped this episode again. He needs to doublecross Grace otherwise he's just a powerhungry guy with funny Miyazaki-anime type hair.

As for Leon... beh. My estimation of his character dropped this episode again. He needs to doublecross Grace otherwise he's just a powerhungry guy with funny Miyazaki-anime type hair.

Could anyone who thinks a foo-foo haircut like that looks good REALLY be all that smart...?

The difference though, is that because her character design is more mature, her actions are perceived in a totally different manner (except for by Grace, who I think characterized Sheryl's actions perfectly).

Being an adult is not about asking things you rationally deserve thinking that will suffice, it's about having an edge that compels others to do it your way :p

FV