Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

Seriously? 5 Knight Rider posts in the BSG thread?

The show only ended 3 days ago, blasphemers! :lol:

Yes, I'm Hassling the Hoff

From all indications KITT is a Cylon he even has the RED flashy thing, and he can hack ordinary computers, but minus the urge to kill all humans. I think it's worth taking about.

Edited by miles316

Well the gist of is that the conflict on [the original] Earth was wholly contained to that planet alone. It can be assumed that is similar t why they all left Kobol as well.

I am not sure it was ever made completely clear why the Cylons left Kobol. Humans left Kobol because of the civil war that broke out between the Lords of Kobol.

I am not sure it was ever made completely clear why the Cylons left Kobol. Humans left Kobol because of the civil war that broke out between the Lords of Kobol.

Cavil indicated that Ellen's ancestors were Toasters.

The way Head Six and Head Baltar talked about Kobol, Earth and Caprica makes me think the cycle could have began way before Kobol.

Cylons seem to have an imperitive to become flesh like their creators.

Cavil indicated that Ellen's ancestors were Toasters.

The way Head Six and Head Baltar talked about Kobol, Earth and Caprica makes me think the cycle could have began way before Kobol.

Cylons seem to have an imperative to become flesh like their creators.

Yes, but its the "why" of their leaving Kobol. We know why humans left, cylons its not so clear. They left 2,000 years before the humans did, so I don't think the fracturing amongst the Lords of Kobol played into it (though, the Cylons *seem* to have worshiped the Lord who wanted to be worshiped above the others).

I could swear there is a shot of the old style Basestar in Razor (DVD version)

There was, but they were during flashbacks of the war.

1st was during the main battle flashback

2nd was during Cains flash back of Tuaron.

Chris

Yes, but its the "why" of their leaving Kobol. We know why humans left, cylons its not so clear. They left 2,000 years before the humans did, so I don't think the fracturing amongst the Lords of Kobol played into it (though, the Cylons *seem* to have worshiped the Lord who wanted to be worshiped above the others).

I think we could assume that the Cylons left for reasons similar to those we are aware of during the first Cylon war. Whether the 12 tribes created machine Cylons or engineered organic ones initially, the Cylons are still a creation of humanity. The Final Five also made an attempt to stop the cycle of violence when they went to the colonies to try and stop the first Cylon war. It would be a safe bet that similar, though less catastrophic events happened on Kobol. I don't think the Lords are all that important or Kobol for that matter (beyond it's role to point the way to Earth).

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Human emigration out of Africa

I found this web sight and they have a interactive time line of human emigration through out the world beginning a Hundred Sixty Thousand years ago.

It's actually quite amazing. I was a research assistant for a professor for 1 semester on this very topic. What's even more shocking, is that humans have been on this world for almost an incredibly short time given the 4.5 Billion age of the planet, yet in that short time we have pretty much succeeded in about 150,000 years in wrecking the whole place XD.

I don't think the Lords are all that important or Kobol for that matter (beyond it's role to point the way to Earth).

Its one of the Lords who orchestrated this entire mess (the "one true").

Also interesting, there is no way the people on Kobol could have known where the 13th ended up (and how to get there) if there wasn't continued contact between them after the 13th left and settled Earth.

Is this your first post in one of the Battlestar threads?

You alluded to checking online in regards to the early seasons...and there is a smiley...sheesh relax lol.

Edited by Gaijin

A great ending and almost all the loose ends tied up.

I find it ironic that Kara was the harbinger of death, but only for Cavils faction.

Felt sad for Lee loosing everybody he cared about though.

great way to tie it all up I guess we are all Cylons then. as were the original colonies etc, the fact that this has happened before and will happen again was completely pointed out.

I guess that the decision to ditch all tech and start again in the end had not paid off, it would have been far better to have tech and just not let anyone build a computer that was more powerfull than a Pentium 4 that way A.I would just not happen, thus breaking the cycle, insted we have 21st centry Earth 2 just about to do it all again.

I guess that after the first couple of generations enough of the tech would be lost and forgotten that it would not matter any more and in a few hundred years nothing of Raptors and Vipers would be left to show eaither.

I get from Angel Baltar and Caprica that this has happend many times more than the Kobol Earth 1 and the colonies. I guess that the abundance of fairly habitable worls like New Caprica and the Algae planet mean it could all happen again.

The rest of the Cylon fleet scattered all over the Galaxy could come into play at some point. After all what if you dont get the recall untill say 5 years later. They never did state if comms were FTL as in fold coms in Macross.

I fully expected it to come down to a standoff with Adama blowing Galaticas reactor to kill em all and then everyone waking up in goo pods a la Ellen and saying WTfrack we are all Cylons......

Roll on the Full DVD release of series 4 and the Caprica and specials.

Thanks for the ride.

Now go use your skills to make more hi class Sci Fi for us to watch.

Its one of the Lords who orchestrated this entire mess (the "one true").

Also interesting, there is no way the people on Kobol could have known where the 13th ended up (and how to get there) if there wasn't continued contact between them after the 13th left and settled Earth.

I thought the thirteen tribes all left Kobol at the same time.

Edited by miles316

In what episode did they say that they left before the twelve.

Battlestar Wiki says "The Eye of Jupiter" (3.11):

In "The Eye of Jupiter", Tyrol says that "Our initial radiocarbon dating suggests that the temple's at least 4,000 years old, which lines up with the exodus of the Thirteenth Tribe." This is the oldest date noted in the series' timeline, but also conflicts with the prior date of Pythia and her works as described by Elosha in "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I", where she states that the exodus of all 13 tribes occurred approximately 2,000 years ago. Another contradiction occurs in "A Measure of Salvation", when Adama says that "According to Cottle, the virus was an exact match to one reported over 3000 years ago, right around the time that the 13th colony left Kobol."

Also, they quote the miniseries: "...The Sacred Scrolls tell that the 13th tribe left Kobol in the early days. They traveled far and made their home upon a planet called Earth...which circled a distant and unknown star."

And more:

During some period, travel appears to have taken place from Earth to Kobol, as the Sacred Scrolls give an account of the journey to Earth. The effect of Earth on the 12 other tribes is significant, as Laura Roslin states that the star patterns from the Earth Zodiac shown in the 3D projection in the Tomb of Athena were used for the original flags of the Twelve Colonies, and the colonies' original names match the Earth names of the constellations (Home, Part II).

Edited by Duke Togo

Looks like a few episodes are getting extra footage on the 4.5 DVD release

This was posted on the digital bits site

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa166.html#jcvd

"at least three of the Season 4.5 episodes will be extended on both DVD and Blu-ray, including A Disquiet Follows My Soul (about 10 minutes longer), Islanded in a Stream of Stars (about 20 minutes longer) and Daybreak (the 3-part finale, also about 20 minutes longer). We'll keep you up to date as official announcements are made"

Thats great news that there will be extra footage added in when the DVD's come out!!

Also for Duke Togo, thank you for posting the extra info you listed about the 13th Tribe & 12 colonies, Sometimes I get it confused as to how that whole scenario works. Its been awhile since I have seen the older seasons, gotta get the DVD's!! Such a great series!! B))

Just finished up the last episode. I know, I'm slightly behind, but you all know me and the fact that I don't watch TV. I have to catch everything on my schedule, so I'm rarely ever up to date :)

I can't say much right now (bed time!) except that it was the strong finale that I was hoping for. I'll post more soon, but for now, I'll sleep on it and enjoy the moment. What a series!

Thats great news that there will be extra footage added in when the DVD's come out!!

RDM mentioned in the podcasts that there were deleted scenes that would find their way back on the DVDs/Blu-Rays when it comes out. I recall him mentioning it in quite a few podcasts. Speaking of podcasts, the last 2 hour+ podcast is out.

I guess that the decision to ditch all tech and start again in the end had not paid off, it would have been far better to have tech and just not let anyone build a computer that was more powerfull than a Pentium 4 that way A.I would just not happen, thus breaking the cycle, insted we have 21st centry Earth 2 just about to do it all again.

Yeah but then we'll have some jerk like Baltar saying "oh that rule is stupid let's just throw it out" and then we'd do it again quicker.

Just finished up the last episode. I know, I'm slightly behind...

You're not the only one. I'm glad to see that my girl Racetrack redeemed herself and went out with a bang however. Well, not the bang that I dreamed of but whatever.

In regards to the idea of ditching 'tech and starting over or keeping it, I don't think it matters either way. The message I see is that the human race is self-destructive in nature and it's nigh impossible to avoid that particular fate...

In regards to the idea of ditching 'tech and starting over or keeping it, I don't think it matters either way. The message I see is that the human race is self-destructive in nature and it's nigh impossible to avoid that particular fate...

handbasket.jpg

We are all off to Cylon City .......

Edited by big F

I am surprised that only a few people have noted the obvious Macross/Robotech influence on BSG considering this is Macross World. I honestly only got into the show on Season 4, but I have noticed so many Macross throwbacks such as:

-The headhunters squadron patch with the Jolly Rodgers is almost an exact copy of the Skull Squadren design.

-Tigh resembles Breetai not only in appearance (after he loses righteye), but as the as a veteran enemy commander turned greatest ally.

-The piano player at the bar is an obvious throwback to the piano player from Robotech Masters/Southern Cross who flirted with Dana in one episode. Whats more Kara even made the sarcastic remarks to him: “What good does a song do in a war? How many missiles has your song stopped so far?”

-Water downed ruins on Cindered earth seem very much like the ruins on Macross DYRL

- Daedalus maneuver as the Galatica rams into the colony to release marines

I know for a fact the co-creator of Lost, Damon Lindelof has made the comment that “The Watchmen is the greatest piece of popular fiction ever produced” and borrowed ideas from Watchmen for Lost. I am curious if anyone has heard RBM and company make a comment on any influence from Macross and/or Robotech?

Now If only Calvin screamed something like “Frak you Protoculture!” Ronald Moore's love would Macross would be all to obvious and it would be amusing to see hordes of confused BSG viewers wondering what the Frak protoculutre means.

I am surprised that only a few people have noted the obvious Macross/Robotech influence on BSG considering this is Macross World.

I would doubt there is much influence at all, unless you are talking about what influenced Macross that may have also influenced BGS. And you're REALLY reaching with some of these. Hell, the Jolly Rogers is a real fighter squadron, has been for decades, and its where the Skull Squadron in Macross comes from.

Again, not having seen the show, just reading what you guys have posted about, parallels with Gall Force seem more obvious.

-Age old constant cycling conflict with the Solonoids (biological all female race) & Solonoids (bio-mecha male race) that almost always results in a complete whiping out of both, with an eventual union of both (then subsequent seperation restarting the cycle).

-Catty, the secret android ally, turned enemy, but really an ally who pops up through subsequent generations of characters.

-The last survivors of Eternal Story Progenate the human race on Earth, and despite leaving behind all previous technology, humans later stumble upon Paranoid reckage (I think on the moon), use it to engineer new AI, which results in an all new conflict, which eventually leads to the destruction of Earth & the setting out of what would likely become a new Solonoid faction (leaving behind an AI/Paranoid faction) etc.

Sure Gall Force at first glimps borrows a lot from Macross & Alien, but its original story elements seem to be the major backbone for this new BG.