Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

Personally when they did it I thought Picard manuever a la ST: Nemesis...guess I'm just not Macross...y enough to connect with that. :p

I'm pretty sure it's an automatic ban from Macrossworld to reference any ship ramming something as "The Picard Manuever", enjoy your ban! :)

And you're REALLY reaching with some of these. Hell, the Jolly Rogers is a real fighter squadron, has been for decades, and its where the Skull Squadron in Macross comes from.

It turns out that Ron Moore was on a Navy ROTC scholarship and served a year onboard the USS W. S. Sims for a summer so you could indeed be correct Duke Togo, that Moore was influenced by the real Navy Jolly Rogers.

I will admit Duke that some of them are a stretch on there own, but when you taken into things like the Piano player sequence that went out of their way to poke fun at the notion of a song being any help into a war it really looks they borrowed ideas from Macross to me. At least they didn't do what Top Gun did. Just look at Goose's death scene and how it is almost frame by frame the scene where Rick/Ichicjo is lying unconscious in the water with his parachute open at the end of episode 16. For the record Top Gun was filmed in 1985 the same year that Robotech premiered.

Again, not having seen the show, just reading what you guys have posted about, parallels with Gall Force seem more obvious.

I have never even heard of Gall Force, but it is interesting that you mention that Keith. I mentioned Macross, but I feeling Ron Moore may be a fan of sci-fi anime in general like the Wachowski brothers. I found his own webblog , but have had no luck in finding any comments that would suggest that yet.

At least they didn't do what Top Gun did. Just look at Goose's death scene and how it is almost frame by frame the scene where Rick/Ichicjo is lying unconscious in the water with his parachute open at the end of episode 16. For the record Top Gun was filmed in 1985 the same year that Robotech premiered.

Yeah, no...

It turns out that Ron Moore was on a Navy ROTC scholarship and served a year onboard the USS W. S. Sims for a summer so you could indeed be correct Duke Togo, that Moore was influenced by the real Navy Jolly Rogers.

I will admit Duke that some of them are a stretch on there own, but when you taken into things like the Piano player sequence that went out of their way to poke fun at the notion of a song being any help into a war it really looks they borrowed ideas from Macross to me. At least they didn't do what Top Gun did. Just look at Goose's death scene and how it is almost frame by frame the scene where Rick/Ichicjo is lying unconscious in the water with his parachute open at the end of episode 16. For the record Top Gun was filmed in 1985 the same year that Robotech premiered.

I have never even heard of Gall Force, but it is interesting that you mention that Keith. I mentioned Macross, but I feeling Ron Moore may be a fan of sci-fi anime in general like the Wachowski brothers. I found his own webblog , but have had no luck in finding any comments that would suggest that yet.

I can't believe you've never heard of Gall Force!

serves NROTC

Let's be honest these two don't fit. The only thing a mid's doing on a ship is seeing how much sleep he can get. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we've mentioned the BSG-Macross parallels a couple of times here and there.

But unless Anders or Kara were singing All Along the Watchtower during the final assault, you can only take the comparisons so far.

I've been here for so many years though! Sigh...I lurk most of the time anyways so I guess I can still do that lol

what? Anyone with Leoben for an avatar should get a free pass... haha.

A lot of similarities with Gall Force, that's why I don't think Moore has seen it. Good writers usually pride themselves with originality. Seriously... Gall Force? You're missing out. Best character and mech designs out there...

Just saw the last episode of BSG

I am totally confused WTF

Can someone please summarize wtf ....

Who is a clone, cylon and human. Did they end up on earth. Why do they keep seeing each others in alternate realities

WTF are the old tin man fighting the new tin man

man this is all too confusing.

what the hellllll

gone one season and it goes all south!

Just saw the last episode of BSG

I am totally confused WTF

Can someone please summarize wtf ....

Who is a clone, cylon and human. Did they end up on earth. Why do they keep seeing each others in alternate realities

No clones as such just lots of models that all started out as the same, just like on a car production plant. No alt realities they are angels if you mean invisible Caprica six, Baltar and also not invisible but back from the dead Starbuck.

WTF are the old tin man fighting the new tin man

Old tim men (Original Series BSG) Cylons are on the side of the Cylon's lead by Cavil the evil skin job Cylon bent on destruction of all humans and nice Cylons, he still has a few of the old models left in the ranks.

Where as the ones that are sided with Caprica 6 and the Colonies are all new models. These new freindly ones have a red stripe on them so stupid humans know the difference and dont shoot them by mistake.

man this is all too confusing.

what the hellllll

gone one season and it goes all south!

Get your self down the Video store and catch up on what you have missed you wont regret it.

Does anyone know if the complete series 4 (both halfs) is going to be released in the U.S any sooner than the U.K release in June?

If it gets out in the U.S.A before June I want it then DVD regions are irelevant to me,

Edited by big F

what? Anyone with Leoben for an avatar should get a free pass... haha.

Haha, awesome.

If I had to gripe on something in the last episode it was that my main Cylon bud got like one line. He was so interesting with the Kara plot I'd have liked to see more of him towards the end.

Listening to RDM's last podcast, he talks about the original plan for the final season, and man, it sounds so much better than what they did. Sure, its 10x darker, but I liked what they wanted to do.

No clones as such just lots of models that all started out as the same, just like on a car production plant. No alt realities they are angels if you mean invisible Caprica six, Baltar and also not invisible but back from the dead Starbuck.

Old tim men (Original Series BSG) Cylons are on the side of the Cylon's lead by Cavil the evil skin job Cylon bent on destruction of all humans and nice Cylons, he still has a few of the old models left in the ranks.

Where as the ones that are sided with Caprica 6 and the Colonies are all new models. These new freindly ones have a red stripe on them so stupid humans know the difference and dont shoot them by mistake.

Get your self down the Video store and catch up on what you have missed you wont regret it.

Does anyone know if the complete series 4 (both halfs) is going to be released in the U.S any sooner than the U.K release in June?

If it gets out in the U.S.A before June I want it then DVD regions are irelevant to me,

Angels?? Really

So if I get this straight these angels come to save humans but look like caprica 6 baltar and starbuck so they dont scare humans. Why are there good cylons and bad ones.

So when starbuck went to earth she really died. So did her viper resurect too??? why do angels want to look like cylons

do they explain why cylons were made. and what about the modern day references to earth. I really like the ending but i feel so sad for many of the characters. and the references to robots is that where cylons come from humanity develops ai

and mitochondrial eve???

It was probably for the best that they didn't explain a lot about the spiritual stuff about the series at the end. Who would want to see the writers explain what "God" is and etc. without offending anyone?

Well, from what I understand, its explained earlier in the series. Who or what the Lords of Kobol actually are (beyond some higher life form) is the true unknown. Is it important that we know? Not really. I think not refreshing our memories (along with the info that is found on the extended episode cuts on the DVDs) left many of us feeling like too much was left unanswered, when it actually has been in the past.

I think not refreshing our memories (along with the info that is found on the extended episode cuts on the DVDs) left many of us feeling like too much was left unanswered, when it actually has been in the past.

Yeah, I hate when that happens. Like in the last episode, one thing I didn't get at first was that they brought back most of the cast that was still alive except Number Three. Then, I learn from the podcast that she was serious about staying on the real Earth and died alone a while back. The whole time I thought they kept her off screen to save money from bringing in Lucy Lawless.

Angels?? Really

So if I get this straight these angels come to save humans but look like caprica 6 baltar and starbuck so they dont scare humans. Why are there good cylons and bad ones.

So when starbuck went to earth she really died. So did her viper resurect too??? why do angels want to look like cylons

do they explain why cylons were made. and what about the modern day references to earth. I really like the ending but i feel so sad for many of the characters. and the references to robots is that where cylons come from humanity develops ai

and mitochondrial eve???

Those two were just observing neo humanity they just appear as baltar and six to the two of them no one else was able to see them, and it would not have had the same effect if they were on the base ship talking about humanity.

Mitochondrial eve is the most resent ancestor to modern humans (Hera).

I should have said this earlier about the BSG ending but, ah well here goes:

END OF CIRCLE!

Does the finale count as a reset button ending? It started out 150,000 years ago and moves on to today at a critical turning point with no known outcome. Plus, no time travel.

It could have just as easily done without the tie in to the present day imo. Not that it was bad, just despite what Ron has said it seemed more like social commentary then needing to tie everything to a singular universe. Still the ending was strong regardless.

Does the finale count as a reset button ending? It started out 150,000 years ago and moves on to today at a critical turning point with no known outcome. Plus, no time travel.

It is an End of Circle ending in spirit literally and figuratively. The cycles of violence between Cyclons and Humanity has ended. Plus, its probably the closest as we are going to see of something remotely like Macek's End of Circle idea of a 300 episode Robotech series that begins and ends with "Zor's Battle Fortress" *the Macross *cough flying past the moon and crash landing into the Earth.

So I say get out there and exclaim that BSG is End of Circle!

I do it for the heck of it and to make people scratch their frakin heads in confusion.

Could someone summarize this "darker ending" so I don't have to rifle through hours of podcast?

Not sure if this poster's synopsis is completely accurate, but here's the link: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86852.

Duke, can you confirm if this summary is correct?

Personally, I don't like the idea of EVIL Ellen. I thought the more motherly and serene aspects we saw onscreen after her download made her much more interesting.

Plus, without her on the good side, we would have never got those great scenes between her and Cavil arguing on the baseship. As frakked up and as ruthless as Cavil was, those scenes helped to flesh out why Cavil hated being a skinjob so much (puns intended ;) ).

Not sure if this poster's synopsis is completely accurate, but here's the link: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86852.

Personally, I don't like the idea of EVIL Ellen. I thought the more motherly and serene aspects we saw onscreen after her download made her much more interesting.

Plus, without her on the good side, we would have never got those great scenes between her and Cavil arguing on the baseship. As frakked up and as ruthless as Cavil was, those scenes helped to flesh out why Cavil hated being a skinjob so much (puns intended ;) ).

Just watched 17 and 20 again. Dam what a good ending. SO they time warped back to Cro Magnon man and will "breed" as baltar said with early humans. I also see how Hera ends up being Mitochondrial eve. As she is a hybrid and scientists believe that mitochondria are actual foreign bodies to cells and cells actually swollowed up these mitochondria. So Mitochondria are contructs of cylons.

Still trying to understand the scene with the lords of kobal on galactica or cylons and the opera house. Also dont understand why the cyclon colony didnt have resurrection technology.

And I understand the earth they found was the real one just had a nuclear war and when they find "us" they decide to call that earth

am i right?

Just watched 17 and 20 again. Dam what a good ending. SO they time warped back to Cro Magnon man and will "breed" as baltar said with early humans. I also see how Hera ends up being Mitochondrial eve. As she is a hybrid and scientists believe that mitochondria are actual foreign bodies to cells and cells actually swollowed up these mitochondria. So Mitochondria are contructs of cylons.

That is actually incorrect (from a real world perspective :)). The merging of smaller prokaryotes into larger ones which gave rise to organelles like Mitochondria, predates all humans, and most forms of advanced life actually. This event takes place roughly 2 Billion years ago according to most studies. Mitochondria is sort of necessary for advanced life as it's the cell's "power-plant". Without it, advanced life like most forms of plants & animals would not be able to exist.

So the fact that it's stated that the DNA of the "natives" are compatible with those of the colonial refugees implies that their cellular structure (mitochondria and all) is the same. The fact that Hera turns out to be Mitochondrial Eve is more like a coincidence, perhaps orchestrated by higher powers like the virtual six & baltar.

Sorta, but not completely. In the three way fight, half of the fleet is destroyed. Also, they don't attack the Cylon homeworld, they attack the colony, its just that RDM has a name for it. Also, I am not sure calling Ellen "evil" is the correct way to put it. Though, he does refer to either Cavil or Ellen (don't remember which) as "Lucifer".

Also, how the Tigh/Ellen relationship plays out in it sounds much more satisfying to me, much more true to their characters. More than one of us commented on how Ellen didn't seem like Ellen anymore when she came back, yet the others of the Final Five were still themselves.

Well seeing as how Ellen you know...died before she discovered what she was may have a huge impact on it. At that point she remembered everything so it's likely the memory blocks and things like that weren't there. If the other 4 had died and resurrected during the series you'd probably see something similar.

Also there is still some of the Ellen we saw initially. The episode where Caprica loses her baby has some pretty classic Ellen. She's more dynamic post rez but she certainly isn't completely different.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Tori wasn't exactly herself by killing Cally, Tyrol did let Boomer escape, Saul had a relationship with Six and even got her pregnant and even Anders was terrified of what would happen if Kara found out he was a Cylon. THAT is all different from who they were.

Edited by Skullsixx