GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

I really knew little about GI Joe, except that they are toys I see in the kids section that look like the kind of thing I would have played with.

But after seeing this trailer, I know I'll be in the ticket queue. It looks like a lot of fun!

For the film makers, that's what they want. They know the fanbase will go and see it, even if they don't like what they see, it will be watched out of curiosity. Its the people outside the fanbase they want. And with me, they've succeeded.

And I'm all for plenty of boobage! :lol:

You speaketh the trutheth. In the end, I think this will be little more than an, "Om nom nom nom nom popcorn" movie. And I'm happy with that :)

Exactly, I was never expecting a stand-out, make-you-think type of film.

If it's at least mildly entertaining, then good.

But if it's so painfully awful that I gotta start making excuses as to why I like GI Joe ("I'm not a fan of the movie; I always preferred the toys and comic book storyline."), then I'll have to pick up the pitchfork. :p

.....Okay, let's get back to complaining about boobage, hair color, and the least talented of the Wayans brothers being casted in this film. :D

He also can't be "like Bin Laden" - with all due respect to Agent One.

Why?

Because terrorism is always just a method - it can be used by states as well as not state actors. In Bin Laden's case, it is used in pursuit of a twisted religious ideology (that has nothing to do with true Moslem religion - thus the twisted part) AND in Bin Laden's case there is the unfortunate fact that he was, just like the majority of Oceana's current Enemies, an Ally in the 1980s when we cheered him and his buddies on against the Soviets. Cobra is the type of organization that would NEVER buddy up with the government (at best it MIGHT bribe some government officials - but it would never get visits from the SecDef offering weapons and shaking hands...like another now demised former friend/current evil enemy of Oceana...

Also - Cobra doesn't use Suicide Bombers and has no "go blow yourself up and go to heavan" policy. Nor does it - like Hitler - have a "build death camps and exterminate races we don't like" policy.

It is more like Mog says - it is a uniquely American organization which eats off of resentment (often legitamite resentment) in the USA and turns it into anger and hatred for its' own benefit and the benefit of the leaders of Cobra. Of course all terrorist organizations do this to some extent - they feed off of legitamite grievences and exploit people who are weak and powerless ...

So you want Cobra to be like SPECTRE in the old Bond movies?

If I were the director, Cobra would be just the movie name for Al Qaeda. That is who the ememy is.. Why create some goofy fantasy when we have a perfectly good bad guy.

I know this would not be like the orig show, but I'd prefer something more real, than some candy land story.

If I were the director, Cobra would be just the movie name for Al Qaeda. That is who the ememy is.. Why create some goofy fantasy when we have a perfectly good bad guy.

I know this would not be like the orig show, but I'd prefer something more real, than some candy land story.

First of all, this movie's gonna suck big time.

But I just dont see Cobra being a low brow org like Al Quaeda... They got these big emblems in the middle of their chest and all these weapons. It's pretty much public and all. But who cares... the movie's almost done shooting, It's probably going to be more like Inspector Gadget vs. Claw in The Matrix.

You mean there's a ranking?

Well, it goes without saying that Damon Wayans with Homey the Clown, Men on Film, and a whole host of other memorable skits from In Living Color is funniest and best of the Wayans.

Though some of his works are crappy, Keenan Ivory would be next since he was part of those memorable skits with Damon, did produce In Living Color, and gave us I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

The next less talented would be Tito (with his guitar).

Then Jermaine.

Then that annoying sister.

Then Shawn (who was the fake "DJ" during In Living Color's first seasons).

And lastly, would be ol' Marlon.

:D:p

Remember the Movie Predator? Arnie's team is the G.i.joe team I dreamt about.

I actually don't dream about men... But I understand why Roy does, he has been looking at my avatar for a few years, and I am a sexy bitch. It often creates sexual confusion with other men. I am just a work of art.

And yes... Good observation. The Predator team would be the closest correlation to my vision of the live action JOE team I would want.

I actually don't dream about men... But I understand why Roy does, he has been looking at my avatar for a few years, and I am a sexy bitch. It often creates sexual confusion with other men. I am just a work of art.

And yes... Good observation. The Predator team would be the closest correlation to my vision of the live action JOE team I would want.

You'll always be my bitch. ^_^

Agent One wrote:

Actually - this is a very good point. And it's also a frickin' shame. There's a thousand and one "action/army/militaristic/adventure" movies out there. Some of them suck. Some of them are entertaining. Some of them are sweet.

GI JOE should at least aspire to be as good as..oh...I dunno...Commando! I mean - Predator's team was actually pretty kick ass...

But then again - all of them got killed off and Arnie barely survived.

I think that goes against GI Joe's MO of "shoot pink bursts of light at point blank range, never run out of ammo, but be reduced to beating your enemies with your fists until they are forced to jump out of their tanks and run away on foot - but don't go after them with your fleet of aircraft, tanks and other war machines so they can come back to menace you later."

Seriously - this show BETTER be CAMP.

If there's not a lot of gay scenes in this movie, it'll suck.

Pete

hopefully it will be inspired by the (Larry Hama) comic run and deadly serious. I don't want that camp from the crappy cartoon (which I despised even as a kid).

^^And why did every Joe in the damn cartoon have Snow Job's friggin' rifle?!!! <_<

Not really feeling the movie Night Raven's look. The Strato-Viper looks interesting. But I want something a little less misproportioned for the jets/fighters.

I'm wondering how to respond to this and instead of writing a long winding treatise, I think I'll just leave it at this:

Representing COBRA as being like AL Quada would be insulting to COBRA and to the GI Joe franchise.

Cobra has some redeeming qualities to it, and some redeeming characters.

Even amongst the Nazis, you had people like Erwin Rommel who conducted themselves with honor.

Al Quada has absolutely no redeeming qualities and absolutely no redeeming characters.

If anything - Cobra and GI Joe would team up against them, just like in the real world, many countries and organizations which aren't exactly the moral equivalent of the Vatican team up against Al Quada and its' variants.

that's how I see it at least.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

The movie looks horrible for fans that grew up over the `80s and `90s. Resolute looks redeeming.

Whoever said that this looks like a good popcorn movie and aren`t worried if its not intelligent > thats not really the point. The movie can be schlock but it should be in the style of what fans remember, not in the style of recent CGI superhero movies.

That was revealed a while back... apparantly Duke left her at the altar (possibly litterally) and she disapears and comes back as the Baroness. Also either Ripcod or Breaker (can't remember which) is supposed to spend most of the movie trying to put the moves on Scarlett.

Sorry, guys. I didn't go back far enough in the thread. I just read this. Holy crap! That plotline blows! And why Ripcord?! Was he really a major player on the team?! Why not bring in Stalker and get some older guy to play him?! Geeeeeez! Well, I guess I can set my standards as low as they can go. UGH!

What I hate this film and ones like it is even if it does sucks they will make a sequel. I hate it when bad movies do well in the box office. If it makes enough money they'll make another. Block Busters even bad ones fill seats and make money. People will be curious too see it. Only when the sequel does come out can you really see if people are interested. If the first movie sucks you'll see less ticket sales for the sequel. Any third movie will be direct to video.

Actually, I suspect that the sequal won't be as bad. In this one, as with any "first" installment of a movie - they pretend that it is the most amazing and important film that has ever come out and that if you don't go see it, you will be cursing your lost opportunity to your grave.

By the time the sequel rolls along they'll just be marketing it as "hey, time to watch this crap again."

Of course - I dunno - I could be proven wrong. I admit I haven't seen the trailers yet, just some screen caps.

And you know what?

At LEAST Michael Bay got Megan Fox on Transformers - she is utter hotness - she at least knows how to MOVE and WALK in an appealing way and she delivered her lines with ok acting skills - sometimes she even came off as funny (like in the scene where she appears when Sam's parents are yelling at him for maybe masturbating)...

But - as I look at the chicks in GI joe...oh boy...

The Baroness: NOT HOT. She looks like she should be doing Head&Shoulders shampoo commercials. No - sorry - she look like she IS doing shampoo commercials. It's like they took her off the set of a Dove shower cream commercial and put that outfit on her - but she still can only make ONE facial expression: "Ahhhh creammmy Dove shower...mmmm..."

And it's not attractive because she's not naked and in the shower.

Scarlett?

She just looks all wrong. Fat - it's the uniform that makes her look fat - with all those paddings...

I dunno...

Stormshadow is the only character who LOOKS good. Snake Eyes looks ok.

Oh yeah - I BET SNAKE EYES WILL TALK.

Yep - I bet he will be spewing lines left and right and taking his mask off to kiss scarlet.

Pete (ever the optimist...)

But - as I look at the chicks in GI joe...oh boy...

The Baroness: NOT HOT. She looks like she should be doing Head&Shoulders shampoo commercials. No - sorry - she look like she IS doing shampoo commercials. It's like they took her off the set of a Dove shower cream commercial and put that outfit on her - but she still can only make ONE facial expression: "Ahhhh creammmy Dove shower...mmmm..."

And it's not attractive because she's not naked and in the shower.

Scarlett?

She just looks all wrong. Fat - it's the uniform that makes her look fat - with all those paddings...

Bot are very attractive actresses, I caught onto Sienna Miller when she was on Keen Eddy years back. She is hot. Both actresses may not look as hot in gijoe but they are beautiful women.

Oh yeah - I BET SNAKE EYES WILL TALK.

He won't.

At LEAST Michael Bay got Megan Fox on Transformers - she is utter hotness - she at least knows how to MOVE and WALK in an appealing way and she delivered her lines with ok acting skills - sometimes she even came off as funny (like in the scene where she appears when Sam's parents are yelling at him for maybe masturbating)...

Some of the lines that were given to her were stupid. She did alright in the movie but my main issue isn't so much with her as much as it is with the script. One would think that moving beyond a nostalgic, yet campy 80's cartoon would also mean moving beyond some of the most cliche' and stereotypical characters seen in movies. Yet unfortunately, TF1 was plagued with them. I hope the sequel is better(and I did like TF1 a great deal but it definitely could have been better). Looks wise, I think Sienna and Rachel are more attractive.

Pointless update IMHO---so similar to the original, yet worse in every way. If you're going to go through the time/expense of an all-new mold that close to the original---just re-make the original! It was perfect. Now it just looks "toy-istic". The original was far more realistic, and that's what made it cool. Plus the original was HUGE. This looks Rattler/Conquest sized. GI Joe vehicles (IMHO) all about "plausible realism"---like, 'what we could have in 10-20 years'--or even what we could have now, had things gone differently. It's half-way to being a chibi/SD Night Raven.