GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

Just saw it. Meh. I don't like how they dicked around with the origins of the characters, especially Snake Eyes' and Storm Shadow's, and having the other characters that closely related was pretty lame, too. Sienna Miller was hot,

but the whole brainwashed thing was nothing more than a plot device to save Duke.

Lame. Somebody please kill Marlon Wayans already. I'm tired of pretentious token characters just for the sake of comic relief.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

Saw it this afternoon - went in with low expectations. It was OK. Not great, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I too, was also annoyed that the script changed character origins and relationships (from the classic Larry Hama comic) - to support the movie plot. Baroness and Scarlett were looking good. ^_^ Decent effects and action sequences, but the plot was paper-thin. Predictable ending leaving the door wide open for the sequel ...

It was a fun popcorn flick, what TF2 should of been but wasnt.

Baroness was super hot, I liked Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but the dude that plays Duke sucks balls, on the same level with the kid that played darth vader.

Edited by Ladic

Any1 else besides me think that Storm shadow's costume looked oh I don't know like..... a bath towel over his face and body? It just didn't look remotely ninja like. Or that Baroness looks rather unattractive as a blond? The CG well was overused and didn't render well at all. Actually the chase scene with the accelerator suits was actually my favorite scene even if it was ridiculous. Just makes me wonder if this movie was done Black Hawk down style with a stern factor of realism. Despite it's faults I had fun watching this action flick , but I don't think it qualifies for a theater outing, but instead a rental.

P.S Damn Cobra commander's mask looks retarded and the 80's version would of looked so much more badass.

I liked it. And I'm a pretty big fan of RAH.

I await the sequel.

I liked it too. Hella fun to watch and it wasn't too washed down. Even had a bit of an old feel from the cartoon in some instances. Looking forward to seeing it again as well as the sequel.

Haven't caught it yet. May wait for the Blu-ray. I always liked the Larry Hama original Marvel run but never liked the cartoon. Think I'll like it?

Haven't caught it yet. May wait for the Blu-ray. I always liked the Larry Hama original Marvel run but never liked the cartoon. Think I'll like it?

It's sorta a mix of the comic and cartoon. Like you, I was a fan of the comic book (the only comic I read), and not so much the cartoon. The plot reminds me of the cartoon min series plots. Extremely over the top. In many ways, it's like a live action cartoon. I liked it anyways though. It's just a roller coaster ride of action. There are certainly some points where I wasn't expecting to see, with some certain shots of violence. Check your belief at the door, and just enjoy Joes and Cobra (well, sorta) kick the snot out of each other for a couple hours.

There are liberties taken that I am not fond of, but overall, it was enjoyable and fun. That's what gets me the most about some people who have seen it...they say it was a lot of fun but they "hate it" still.

They now hate fun if it wasn't the fun they remembered?

I liked it for what it was...over the top, unbelievable action sequences, and a lot of fun.

Some people don't like a certain plot point of the Snake/Tommy origin, but I don't think they were really paying attention to what Storm Shadow had alluded to when he spoke. What he says when he fights SE is important in that context. I think the sequel will take that and run with it, satisfying comic fans.

I saw it this afternoon. I'm usually pretty generous (I liked Revenge of the Fallen, Terminator Salvation, and even Dragonball Evolution, after all), but I gotta say I didn't care for it. I wasn't a huge fan of G.I. Joe back in the day, so I might have been willing to overlook the changes to the characters or even G.I. Joe becoming a world organization instead of an American one, but I just kind of thought it was boring. I was checking my watch during while the Joes were chasing the Hummer in Paris, wondering and hoping that the movie might have been close to the end.

Snake Eyes was cool enough, though. Even with the mouth. And Scarlett and the Baroness were HOT.

I think I'd rather watch the Robot Chicken GI Joe clips before I'd see this movie. Just not feeling it, from the trailers I've seen on TV.

The fact that so many are using [either] of the Transformer films as a frame of reference for comparison pretty much tells me all I need to know about deciding to see The Rise of Cobra...

PASS <_<

I may just watch it again to upset the haters. :D

Doesn't upset me. You're the one losing another two hours. ;)

Oh, and for the record, I didn't say beans about the movie before I saw it, and although I didn't like it, I promise to not purchase any toys or the DVD/Blu-ray, nor reference the movie during discussions about whether or not my childhood's been raped. :D

Doesn't upset me. You're the one losing another two hours. ;)

Oh, and for the record, I didn't say beans about the movie before I saw it, and although I didn't like it, I promise to not purchase any toys or the DVD/Blu-ray, nor reference the movie during discussions about whether or not my childhood's been raped. :D

Don't worry Mike, I didn't mean you :)

I just don't understand why hating and grumbling fills certain people with such joy. Those are traits of unsuccessful people, people with depression, people who are unhappy with their lives on some level but lack the drive to change it.

And it's not only here that I sense the hate (though I'm sure many of you will harbor hatred it for some reason, like most things discussed here). It's more what I've been hearing from supposed "fans". There are people who didn't give a rats butt about GI Joe since they were 6 years old all of a sudden acting like they got punched in the face and they've been "loyal" to the brand all these years.

I don't think this film was any instant classic or anything, but we had fun watching it. Sometimes you need a Big Mac.

I don't think this film was any instant classic or anything, but we had fun watching it. Sometimes you need a Big Mac.

Or a 6 pack of $.99 Wendy's double stackers. Yeah, hell it's a movie based on a toy line, so whatever it's a dead topic. When I saw it at a drive-in tonight with some friends which, was a total blast btw, I was more interested in debating which was hotter: Scarlett or Baroness. Scarlett for the mother-freaking win, I say...

One thing made me laugh out loud at a seemingly random time though. There was a part where Duke was criticizing Ripcord for not reading the manual on the accelerator suits and I started thinking "ok, in ROTF the "black-bots" didn't read or ever cared to learn how to. In TROC we have another black character that didn't bother to read either. Is Hasbro trying to say something here?" J/K! :lol:

:ph34r:

Edited by myk

My only regret was the JOEs didn't yell "YOOOOO JOEEE!!!" en masse when they were attacking the underwater base. Only Heavy Duty did it and that was when they won the battle. :(

This is my favorite part of these threads, with all the lovable schizophrenia and salad bar of excuses. If you like the movie, you're a tasteless fanboy toady, another predictable lemming paying for trash entertainment. If you hate the movie, you're one of those snobby elitist haters or worse, a critic, who don't know anything about what the "real fans" like. Never does fault lie with the studio for actually making a lousy movie because someone else is always to blame. It's like arguing sports teams (kinda appropriate, given the movie)! Don't ever change, MW :):lol::wacko:

In the mean time, here's some real entertainment...

At one point the ice cap is exploded real good so it will sink and crush the G. I. Joe's submarine. We thought ice floated in water but, no, you can see big falling ice chunks real good here. It must be only in your Coke that it floats.

A so utterly disposable comic-book film that one forgets it before it ends. The Mummy started off similarly as a high-energy adventure romp. Given what happened with those sequels, we can at least hope that this first G.I. Joe film is also the last.

The only collateral damage is in the audience, where, as you sit through the movie, you can feel your IQ drop minute by minute.

Don't go expecting an escapist night at the movies; go expecting to be cudgeled into numb, drooling submission.

I'm probably going to go see this in a few hours, I'm not a big GI JOE fan, never was, but I really like the actor that plays Cobra Commander ever since I saw that movie he was in "The Lookout". If you haven't seen that movie, you need to it's awesome.

Just got back from watching GI Joe, and I, personally, can't recommend it to anyone. While not straight out awful, it was pretty poor. The characters were not recognizable, Destro has a scottish accent as thick as the polar ice cap, and is a string bean of a man. The actor who played Zartan looked way too much like the guy who was supposed to be Destro. Cobra Commander? where to start... Not the actors fault, it was the writer's / director's fault.

My biggest grief was the transport planes the Joe's flew around in, IMO, they looked like something from Thunderbirds.

Let me just say that, despite watching the cartoon as a kid, I was always a bigger fan of the comic book series.

So if I come off as a "hater" :rolleyes: , it's because I have a much stronger preference and love for the old comic books.

For me, given all the interesting backstories and potential, I think they could have made this film so much more than just a mindlessly fun, summer action flick.

Look, I don't mind eye-candy.

But sometimes my brain wants to be entertained too!

I mean, hell, the comic book Cobra Commander was able to get a bunch of dissatisfied, disillusioned Americans and whip them up into a home-grown, highly organized terrorist group! You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with an thought-provoking, yet action packed, movie and plot based on that premise?

Or how about focusing on the insidious, enemy-within-our-midst aspect of the Crimson Guard? Or making Destro into a pragmatic arms dealer ("War is my business, and it profits me to sell to both sides of a conflict. The war lasts longer, and my company earns more.")? Or could Cobra Commander sway a few of the Joes to his side, asking them why they're risking their lives constantly for a meager wage?

As a big, big fan of the comic book series, it's frustrating as hell to see a live-action movie utterly drop the ball on all these potential ideas, especially when Resolute showed how awesome GI Joe could be if it stays close to its roots.

I just think the film could have been so much more.

To go back to the Big Mac analogy: it's like taking a nice juicy slab of prime rib and just grinding it up to make the ground-beef patties of a Big Mac. The Big Mac might taste good, but the prime rib would have been so much more awesome and delicious.

Never like G.I. Joe when I was kid. The movie is fun to watch - crazy non-stop action, real summer action movie which target all the teens.

Funny all black 'hero' guys can't read in US sci fi movie and all act like Will Smith in his 90s movies. Just like they made all Chinese/Japanese knows 'Ku Fu' or 'Karate'.

We had a couple of beers at an Irish pub before seeing the movie last night at 10 pm. I think this will be a good dvd-get-together movie with friends on a Friday night. When I purchased the movie ticket, it came with a little flip brochure showing the different products. This movie was totally done for the merchandising.

And I'm a sucker for standing in line for almost 3 hours to buy Hasbro stuff at the Comic Con. I got the Baroness 12" movie figure. For $34 USD, it sucks, but I love the BOX packaging. I'm in the process of updating her with Triad Toys body and clothing...oh, and I broke her head off while trying to twist it off.

I'm anticipating Hot Toys or Takara RAH products for Scarlet and the Baroness.

This is my favorite part of these threads, with all the lovable schizophrenia and salad bar of excuses. If you like the movie, you're a tasteless fanboy toady, another predictable lemming paying for trash entertainment. If you hate the movie, you're one of those snobby elitist haters or worse, a critic, who don't know anything about what the "real fans" like. Never does fault lie with the studio for actually making a lousy movie because someone else is always to blame. It's like arguing sports teams (kinda appropriate, given the movie)! Don't ever change, MW :):lol::wacko:

Well, ya gotta love sci-fi/comic/toy franchise fanboys. We always have this love-hate relationship with the things that we love, as well as the studio's and directors, writers, actors, each other, etc........

But as you know, it always leads to fantastic discussions. How boring would it be here if we all agreed with each other. B))

Taksraven