GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

I'm kinda conflicted about the movie. I loved the Marvel comic (pre-Ninja Force, anyway), and IDW is pretty good too (Devil's Due hit and miss), but thought the cartoon was dumb (except G.I.Joe Absolute - I loved it). So when it came to the movie, I have fun watching it as a dumb action film, but then every once in a while my head says "remember: this is the G.I.Joe movie" and I get annoyed at the movie interpretation. If I think about the movie compared to the G.I.Joe stuff I enjoyed, things big and small just tick me off:

- Why does Snake-Eyes' mask have a mouth? And would people let go of that stupid visor? The first "commando" look was always best. (Okay, that last bit is just my preference.)

- Scarlett's speciaity is counter-intelligence, a task often involving deep understanding of people and their motivations in order to recognize and defeat attempts at infiltration. Now she's child genius, "emotions-don't-compute", with a crossbow for no reason. Bah.

- Dumbest Cobra Command mask ever at the end.

- Ice sinks? That's a neat trick. (I know the dialogue says "ice and steel", but the visuals don't back it up.)

- "Green shirts." Hated them in the cartoon, hate 'em still. This is supposed to be an elite, covert team, not a mini-army.

- Delta Six Accelerator Suits... unnecessary, ugly. Did I mention the team was supposed to be covert? The whole film reminds me of Brosnan Bond films, filled with dumb sci-fi junk technology.

- Did we need a Sgt. Slaughter revamp?

On the other hand I loved Chris Eccleston and Dennis Quaid... great choices there. Arnold Vosloo wasn't too bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... does that mean Cobra Commander will wear blue? Or will we see him in a battle suit? A silver metalic face mask? The one he put on in the movie was kind of uninspiring. I mean...it was a face mask - ok. And it showed his eyes. Ok... but... I dunno... I guess it wasn't THAT bad. It was ok... just not what I was used to...

Oh! Oh!

I know!!

Tomax and Xamot! They could introduce the twins for sure!!

Bettin' they will do just that!!

And Dread Knocks!! :)

Pete

not even a GI Joe fan

• 11 years later...