The 2nd coming of the YF-19, Part 2

David Hingtgen

yeah, it looked that way to me as well, just wanted confirmation.

imo, the SHE kit is no way the definitive yf-19... the 1/60 looks like it'll blow it out of the water in nearly every way.

the sculpt definitely blows away anything out right now... I still want to reserve final judgement when we see the final paint, the tampo printed markings, and sturdiness of the thing....

The resin sculpt prototype blows away even the supernova kit IMO...

The SHE has huge ugly square intakes, no landing gear & the wings set too far forward. Also, the feet are not accurate in fighter mode.

Graham

Tell me more about how you feel concerning the SHE YF-19, Graham. Don't hold back.

vinnie

I originally preordered 3, but as time goes on and common sense has time to ponder the purchase, I have gradually went down to one. If only they didn't announce them so early.

Any Canadians have an idea where to pre-order a YF-19? Don't want to pay insane customs fees from buying from a U.S. shop.

Or Graham, anywhere in Hong Kong that has pre-orders or is just a good place to buy them? I could get my friend there to pick me up one.

Edited by ComicKaze

I think my "what forward-swept wings do for the YF-19" thread is still among the missing in the archives. Generally, FSW isn't as great/useful as people think, and a lot of what is published is flat out wrong.

Basically--FSW planes are more stable in roll at extremely high alpha, and have a bit less drag at high speeds. That's about it. A few mentions of superior lift/drag ratios, which would actually make it longer-ranged. Traditionally, having wings swept forward have actually been mainly for structural/location reasons, not aerodynamic. The aerodynamic problems of FSW generally outweighs the benefits. Could be the same for the YF-19--they're swept forward because they have to be mounted at the rear because of parts/system/transformation fit, not any aerodynamic advances.

Knight26---where does takeoff performance come in?

I think my "what forward-swept wings do for the YF-19" thread is still among the missing in the archives. Generally, FSW isn't as great/useful as people think, and a lot of what is published is flat out wrong.

Basically--FSW planes are more stable in roll at extremely high alpha, and have a bit less drag at high speeds. That's about it. A few mentions of superior lift/drag ratios, which would actually make it longer-ranged. Traditionally, having wings swept forward have actually been mainly for structural/location reasons, not aerodynamic. The aerodynamic problems of FSW generally outweighs the benefits. Could be the same for the YF-19--they're swept forward because they have to be mounted at the rear because of parts/system/transformation fit, not any aerodynamic advances.

Knight26---where does takeoff performance come in?

I think they're forward swept on the 19 for esthetics (in other words they look cool).

I think they're forward swept on the 19 for esthetics (in other words they look cool).

As far as the YF-19 goes, I think you're right about it being just for aesthetics.

But I did hear/read somewhere that FSW actually make the plane incredibly unstable. I can't confirm that in any way, shape, or form. It's just what I heard. *shrugs*

Nope, that's the number one myth that even aviation books/sites write. FSW is NOT unstable. It's just that all the famous FSW planes are very unstable. But not because of FSW, they're unstable because they're modern fighters and that's the big trend. They're unstable for the exact same reason, and in the exact same way that the F-16 is. Having FSW has little to do with it. Interestingly, there was an F-16 FSW proposed--it was unstable too--but that's because the F-16 is unstable anyways.

And as I wrote above, the #1 advantage FSW has is that it is much MORE stable (in roll) in high-alpha flight.

Seems the main reasons for that were sheer wing positioning (aft wing=bigger bomb bay) and the better takeoff performance Knight26 mentioned (always a big problem with early jets)--which looking around some more seems to be related to sheer high-alpha capabilities--it's not so much a directly higher production of lift due to shape/sweep or anything, but rather can achieve greater alpha under most conditions, thus higher lift.

I just want the QC to be correct. I would have no complaints in buying in bulk. From what I remember Graham did address it with Yamato, but whether they carry it out is another matter entirely.

Alpha=angle of attack. Basically, what angle the wings are intersecting (attacking) the airflow. A wing is almost never perfectly "in line" with the airflow--the degree to which it is off is extremely critical.

Best example: a plane just before landing. It'll be nose-high, but still descending---since the wings are attached to the plane, they'll be leading-edge high as well---but the wing will be moving downwards with the plane, thus the wing is meeting the air at quite an angle.

Or, if you see a plane doing a slow-speed pass at an airshow---horizontal flight, but nose angled high--again, severe "discrepancy" between the direction the plane is pointing, and the direction the plane is moving.

Negative alpha is possible, but generally only for a moment during severe manuevers etc---that's mainly "pointing down but moving up"--which no plane can sustain, except those that can hover.

Alpha=angle of attack. Basically, what angle the wings are intersecting (attacking) the airflow. A wing is almost never perfectly "in line" with the airflow--the degree to which it is off is extremely critical.

Best example: a plane just before landing. It'll be nose-high, but still descending---since the wings are attached to the plane, they'll be leading-edge high as well---but the wing will be moving downwards with the plane, thus the wing is meeting the air at quite an angle.

Or, if you see a plane doing a slow-speed pass at an airshow---horizontal flight, but nose angled high--again, severe "discrepancy" between the direction the plane is pointing, and the direction the plane is moving.

Negative alpha is possible, but generally only for a moment during severe manuevers etc---that's mainly "pointing down but moving up"--which no plane can sustain, except those that can hover.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever wake up and think "I think I know too much about aviation..."?

:p