The 2nd coming of the YF-19, Part 2

David Hingtgen

Oh how can I resist some paraphrasing on this one :)

"Nine time out of ten, it's a new Yamato. But, every once in a while ...(whispers)...it's a dildo. Of course, it's board policy not to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We use the indefinite article: "A dildo." Never "Your dildo."

:)

it's a SDF-1...............yamato said they will not rule out the possibility of doin one before. oh let it be true..

now back to topic..

im a bit scared to commit on the yr-19 for fear that they will stop short of comin out with the 21

Off topics > On topic critques. :(

Oh well, since we're going off topic, I've been wondering about yamato's plan for a 1/60 YF-21.

Anyone have any expectations or standards theyre hoping to see if they come around to making one? Maybe a better way of hiding the arms in fighter mode or a non limiter mode?

I personally wouldnt mind if they find a way to put the gunpod somewhere on a non-fastpack 21 in fighter mode. I've always wondered where it went in the anime. :blink:

What would u guys like to see?

Off topics > On topic critques. :(

I personally wouldnt mind if they find a way to put the gunpod somewhere on a non-fastpack 21 in fighter mode. I've always wondered where it went in the anime. :blink:

The Kawamori Design Works books has pics showing how the 2 gunpods attached to the YF-21 in fighter mode without FAST Packs. They are semi-recessed into the belly plates.

In episode #2 of the Mac Plus OVA, there is an aerial gunnery scene, where the YF-19 & YF-21 are in fighter mode, shooting their gunpods and beam weapons. If you freeze frame this scene, you can see the gunpods mounted on the YF-21's belly plates IIRC.

Graham

post-11-1160532724_thumb.jpg

Nice pic graham. Given that space in that area is critical, maybe instead of having them recessed into the 21, just have them be completely external and clip onto that area...

either that or Yamato will go super lazy, put out another re-color of the VF-1 and stamp "YF-21" and "Project NOVA" all over it and just say "What?! It's a YF-21! It says so right on there!!!"

I just really don't think the FAST-pack-less gunpods on the -21 are feasible on a toy. Space in the belly is so critical the thickness of the gear doors and tire tread is an issue. And there's supposed to be room for guns? You'd need massive doors and hinges in the belly plates, even if you did have room. The height of the doors alone would equal the depth of the belly. It can work in 1:1 scale with a bit of anime magic and the sliding doors Kawamori is oh-so-fond-of in the M+ and later valks. But not with simple hinged doors and 1:60 scale.

Basically--I think any attempt at doing so would so compromise the design, it'd end up looking worse than the original Yamato YF-21. Just skip it, and make the gunpods fast-pack only.

::lightbulb!::

Or possibly---make special "fighter mode only" gunpod parts---like, just the visible bottom half of the gunpods. Attach to the belly plates, and there you go. But trying to actually INSERT a full gunpod into the belly isn't going to happen.

I don't know about making the gun pods parts, and I don't like the idea of making the guns part of the fast pack only either. It seemed silly that the 1/72 didn't have gun and it'll seem sillier with the 1/60. I think, in the grand scheme of things, being a pretty large bird, Yamato can definitely figure out a way to facilitate the guns. I'm not so much worried about the space though so much as I'm worried about big glaring holes in battloid mode. I think it'll take some creative engineering but I have faith.

I just really don't think the FAST-pack-less gunpods on the -21 are feasible on a toy. Space in the belly is so critical the thickness of the gear doors and tire tread is an issue. And there's supposed to be room for guns? You'd need massive doors and hinges in the belly plates, even if you did have room. The height of the doors alone would equal the depth of the belly. It can work in 1:1 scale with a bit of anime magic and the sliding doors Kawamori is oh-so-fond-of in the M+ and later valks. But not with simple hinged doors and 1:60 scale.

David,

Remember, the rear landing gear is not supposed to be in the belly plates. That was incorrect on the Yamato 1/72 scale toy. The correct loction for the rear landing gear is in the wing roots. The only effect having the gunpods in the belly plates would have is perhaps needing slghtly longer landing gear for the extra clearance, which if a working telescopic function for the gear can be achieved would solve a lot of problems.

Probably the easiest method for FAST Pack-less gunpods, would be to have simple plug-in, removable false half gunpods on the belly plates, to give the appearance of them being semi-recessed.

Graham

Probably the easiest method for FAST Pack-less gunpods, would be to have simple plug-in, removable false half gunpods on the belly plates, to give the appearance of them being semi-recessed.

Which is what I suggested at the bottom of my post.

Graham

Which is what David suggests with what he tabs as "gunpod parts".

The illusion that they're there with plug-in false half pods are the way to go... but I hope the plug holes on the underbelly aren't some ghastly round holes this time around but maybe thin slits that look ok even with the pods removed.

Retractable landing gears are also preferred if it's feasible with some telescoping method as mentioned... The locking method for telescoping LG's should be something yamato should pay extra attention to and I hope they don't simply rely on friction. Removeable landing gears are perfectly acceptable in my case, but I'd like to see if they try and make it work.

And the answer is: Magnets! Magnetically attached "half-gunpods" on the belly plates. It'd be easy to hide some magnets in the belly plates.

And if the belly FAST packs were magnetically attached too, they could be made very thin.

However, I'm thinking the FAST packs too may need to use the "half gunpods" as well. Just look at the D'stance----it requires insanely long gear that can't possibly retract into the wells to have like 1mm of ground clearance with all the stuff attached to the belly.

If people accept half-gunpods for the armor-less belly, they should accept the same half-gunpods for the armored belly. Full-size gunpods would be for battroid only. (I'm thinking the same set of half-gunpods could be used for both armored and un-armored belly in fighter mode, so there's not a bunch of different sets to keep track of--just one set that'd fit the belly plates with or without armor)

And the answer is: Magnets! Magnetically attached "half-gunpods" on the belly plates. It'd be easy to hide some magnets in the belly plates.

And if the belly FAST packs were magnetically attached too, they could be made very thin.

However, I'm thinking the FAST packs too may need to use the "half gunpods" as well. Just look at the D'stance----it requires insanely long gear that can't possibly retract into the wells to have like 1mm of ground clearance with all the stuff attached to the belly.

If people accept half-gunpods for the armor-less belly, they should accept the same half-gunpods for the armored belly. Full-size gunpods would be for battroid only. (I'm thinking the same set of half-gunpods could be used for both armored and un-armored belly in fighter mode, so there's not a bunch of different sets to keep track of--just one set that'd fit the belly plates with or without armor)

Looking at the d'stance pics I dont think it's necessary for the FP's to also require half gunpods. Heck looking at the pic below, if they somehow shrink the size of the pods themselves, they might make it work even without fastpacks...

D'stance yf-21

Anyway enough about the yf-21... this is the yf-19 thread. ^_^

Edited by Nani?!

The Kawamori Design Works books has pics showing how the 2 gunpods attached to the YF-21 in fighter mode without FAST Packs. They are semi-recessed into the belly plates.

In episode #2 of the Mac Plus OVA, there is an aerial gunnery scene, where the YF-19 & YF-21 are in fighter mode, shooting their gunpods and beam weapons. If you freeze frame this scene, you can see the gunpods mounted on the YF-21's belly plates IIRC.

Graham

Oh whoa, thanx Graham.

So the 21 has 2 gunpods at all times? Nice... B))

Basically--I think any attempt at doing so would so compromise the design, it'd end up looking worse than the original Yamato YF-21. Just skip it, and make the gunpods fast-pack only.

::lightbulb!::

Or possibly---make special "fighter mode only" gunpod parts---like, just the visible bottom half of the gunpods. Attach to the belly plates, and there you go. But trying to actually INSERT a full gunpod into the belly isn't going to happen.

But that would add extra parts and no respectable 20+ year old man can possibly keep track of all the parts for a toy he'll probably only transform enough times to count on one hand.

Impossible Propaganda I say!

(in all reality though it's great idea. It would cut down heavily on the kibble and look even better in fighter mode.)

Are the arm guns on the 21 beam cannons or machine guns? coz as long as its armed, it doesnt really NEED the extra gunpods...I always liked the idea of the internal weaponry

The YF-21 arm mounted cannons are laser weapons. That's one reason I liked to YF-21 so much; it's excessively armed compared to all the other Valkyries. It's got two gunpods, two arm mounted laser cannons, one head mounted laser, and internal hardpoints. The YF-19 has a similar loadout except for a second gunpod, but the YF-19 does have extra ammunition clips for it's single gunpod.

Yeah. The YF-21 gunpods aren't reloadable anyway, so it's pretty even.

The YF-21 gunpods are reloadable. They aren't disposable, requiring a newly built gunpod every time the mech comes back from a battle. They just aren't practical to reload in the field. You need at least some downtime to properly load the GV-17L gunpods. So combat conditions rule out reloading on the fly. Which is basically the same situation as the old GU-11s.

The YF-21 gunpods are reloadable. They aren't disposable, requiring a newly built gunpod every time the mech comes back from a battle. They just aren't practical to reload in the field. You need at least some downtime to properly load the GV-17L gunpods. So combat conditions rule out reloading on the fly. Which is basically the same situation as the old GU-11s.

I kind of like the idea of a disposable gunpod. I can imagine a giant recycling bin at the hangar, that the pilot has to drop his spent pod in after a battle.