The 2nd coming of the YF-19, Part 2

David Hingtgen

But, this thread is about the 1/60 YF-19. Which I'm eagerly anticipating. I just don't want it to break.

Seconded! I think that should have been your first post. We shouldn't jump to conclusions that things like slanted shoulders necessarily mean less rigidity in the toy. It's a neat gimmick that makes the toy look more like it's supposed to so I'm all for it but I'm with you, I really hope it doesn't come at the expense of the toy's ability to stay together... but at this point there's no reason to assume it does.

I understand where you're coming from, but as a general engineering principle, more gimmicks always come at the expense of sturdiness. For example, the more 'gimmicks' that your car has, the more likely something will break, in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to this shoulder gimmick. It's just not something I find very exciting. And when I hear that it's just one of many (3?) gimmicks being added, I get nervous about sturdiness.

Of course, this could all prove unfounded. I've had very good luck with my 1/48 vf-1's and 1/60 vf-0s.

I think the more points of articulation the better. It all adds up: double jointed knees, shoulder swivel, feet that can be angled, hands whose wrists can adjust to point the weapon straight with a bent elbow, head that can tilt sideways to look like it is lining up a shot etc ..all helps make the toy better.

But I don't think you necessarily have to sacrifice articulation for sturdiness. These are pretty big. I would trade today's more posable figures with yesterday's limited posability-but kid-proof-toughness any day. I just hope there is no garland incident with a bit that snaps easily or anything. No replacement parts for us people outside japan..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

There is no question that Shaggydog is most definitely crazy. For one thing, he talks about himself in the third person. :lol:

..oh, and I've wasted a lot of time defending the Toynami MPCs on MW. Which is pretty much the definition of 'crazy'.

But, this thread is about the 1/60 YF-19. Which I'm eagerly anticipating. I just don't want it to break.

you also didn't bother to actually answer my question on how making the thing look like the line art is a cheesy gimmick.

I had pretty much accepted the YF-19's straight-shoulder look (as in would have preferred the angled-shoulder look in Battroid, but it's not a deal-breaker). So when Yamato sneaks in this little "surprise," I got a little overzealous. (Plus, it was late and I hadn't had that much sleep........and...and I was young and I needed the money.....)

But seriously, this was one of the features I had asked about in the first 2nd Coming thread. So hopefully, you can understand my enthusiasm for this newly leaked feature.

And along with being more line art accurate, let's not forget: this thing is priced around $200. I think most of us would almost expect a few gimmicks and extra goodies to be added to the basic Valk.

And before anyone else makes the argument, I also agree: at around $200, the YF-19 absolutely better be solid and sturdy in all three modes. I mean what's the point in having all that articulation if you can't get the puppy to pose and stay standing the way you want it to?

If they follow the VF-1 leg ball joint, then I think the legs will pose fine. The arms take more after the VF-0, so I'm worried there about tightness.

I don't think there are any more "good" gimmicks, but I do think they have things like opening panels to reveal details and the like.

Edited by kensei

- method of fold booster attachment

I don't really think that's a real surprise. If you look closely to the picture Graham posted, it's easy to see that the two frontal 'sticks' for the booster go here:

post-657-1159080856_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:

I don't really think that's a real surprise. If you look closely to the picture Graham posted, it's easy to see that the two frontal 'sticks' for the booster go here:

post-657-1159080856_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:

The two points you circle seem possible... although if they'll use the screwhole near the ankle then why would they not use the one half way up the calf?

If you look closely, the rear attachments kinda sit ON the end of the shield and not extend into the side of the leg. The little slit you point seems like a possible connection point for the forward 'sticks'.

I dont know about Dave's different shield idea.. I think they designed the 1/60 valk from the get go to support the fold booster so they probably designed it so there are no replacement parts.

Is it me our does the fighter look much sleeker in this magazine shot. Godamnit, just when I convinced myself I won't get one because the fighter is too porky.

I'm thinking the same thing. This new scan really makes the new YF-19 look better than the shots released previously.

The magazine shots consistently have the fighter mode angled to either reduce the bulge or hide it completely. I'm not saying it's a conscious effort by Yamato because the fighter mode angles they give us are pretty standard "new fighter" angles.

Not mis-transforming per say, just they didn't want to show the feature until now.

Made me have a good laugh when the CAD art was first published and everyone here was battyin and moaning about how the shoulders should angle up.

Graham

So perhaps the real question we should be asking you is which posts are you laughing at now?

Shaggy, I aggree with your principle of unessacary gimmicks weakening the basic solidity of the toy but I don;t think these "special features" that Graham has hinted at are going to be anything that will massively impact on the structure.

I'd like to go with,

Removable magazine

Storable magazines

& rotating seat in cockpit

Removable and storable magazines sure as heck better be a feature...

I'm quite sure it will. Check out the new pic, back view of the battroid. See that black piece behind the shield? I'm 99% sure its used to house the magazine. And the gunpod's magazine looks removable too.

So that makes number 2 of unshown features if that's right. What's the 3rd one i wonder. Clear plastic Pinpoint Barrier punch hand attachment? :lol:

[...] Check out the new pic, back view of the battroid. See that black piece behind the shield? I'm 99% sure its used to house the magazine. [...]

I think that this piece is used to locked the arms together in fighter mode :D i'm not quite sure that a magazine can be housed here ... i hope i'm wrong 'cause it'll a great gimmick :)

Maybe you missed it, maybe it was in MN. But anyways, my idea for Fold Booster attachment:

The Fold Booster comes permanently attached to a different shield. To attach the fold booster, you simply remove the YF-19's normal shield, and attach the shield that has the Fold Booster molded on. Simple, easy, and leaves no holes in the YF-19 when it's not attached.

Maybe a gimmick is a breakable head-laser, for pre and post-Guld fight. :lol:

I'm joking on that one, but I wonder if the shield would be able to hold a spare magazine and still be able to transform into fighter without removing the magazine. I kind of doubt it, but I could be wrong.

i'm don't know why everyone getting so psyched on having a removeable mag? i can't speak for everyone but i'd much rather have them spend the money on tampo printing or something to make the toy itself better, than a extra feature that any recaster down the road could make for us.