The 2nd coming of the YF-19, Part 2

David Hingtgen

Hi all,

What I meant by, is this a finished valk, was that something is missing for gerwalk mode.... I can't find the site with the lineart of said missing thing, but I can try and take the pic to paint and then upload it there.... HAHA!! I've been dying to know if they would have this in the sculpt or not actually......Stay tuned....

edit: I meant upload it here.....

edit # 2...... In the following pic, the little red line points to part of the rear end of gerwalk mode.. Where there is the crappy scribblely line that should have made a circle, well that is where the 19's forward thrusters are for gerwalk mode......

I asked along time ago where the forward thrust came from on the 19, buried somehwheres in the old forum, but noone could tell me where they were located...... Then I seen the lineart pic, wished I woulda saved it now...... DOH!!!

I always tougth that the four black circles on the back were the thrusters for gerwalk

I always tougth that the four black circles on the back were the thrusters for gerwalk

Hi all,

Actually, technically you or I am right..lol.... In one lineart drawing of the 19 in gerwalk mode, facing the opposite direction then the pic, or to the right, there were vents in the area I am talking about, I just thought that those vents were the forward thrusters....... So I guess it's up in the air, LOL... :ph34r:

The crotch can't look right in fighter mode without ruining battroid mode----it'd sit like a half-inch forward of the pelvis if it was curved to match the fighter mode belly.

Now, I think the hinge itself could have been done better (read:smaller) but the overall shape--not much you can do without anime magic. It's very convex in one mode, very concave in the other. So it's averaged out in real-life 3D: flat. That gives "decent" in each mode. Part of it is because of the curvature caused by the gullet---a "skinny" neck would be flatter and they'd be more similar in each mode.

It's clear that piece was given priority for battroid mode--since it's very visible in that mode, but about the most hidden of all areas in fighter mode--you'll only ever see it from directly below.

Though I do plan to see what could be done when I get mine---but I suspect a good fighter mode shape for that piece may make a very bad battroid.

Oh, one last thing: it's also the connector for the stand--check the pics in the first post. Maybe a non-connector-compatible piece could look better. (Owning no stands, it's not a concern for me to connect to it)

Though I do plan to see what could be done when I get mine---but I suspect a good fighter mode shape for that piece may make a very bad battroid.

Not necessarily.

The stomach area (where the landing gear retracts) where the crotch folds up to is relatively flat, so the back of the crotch piece wont have to be so rounded. yeah it'd stick out a tiny bit more in battroid, but, it's really close to the stomach as it is right now, a tiny bit forward wont be too bad.

While I'm not confident that it can be TOTALLY smooth and inconspicuous in fighter mode, it definitely can improve from the bare form as it is.

Anyway, it's only for the sake of discussion. I know it wont change and really doesn't need to. I totally agree that it should be considered for battroid more where it's most visible unlike in fighter where it'll be no where to be seen. Great point.

I can confirm those hobbystock pics are of the painted resin prototype, hence the large gaps with some parts, which will be reduced on the production toy.

Those pics are actually pretty old. I've had them for 2-3 months already :p

Graham

WHAT????

All these pics are already 2-3 months old??????

Man, the most current must look FANTASTIC!!!

here, since I've been posting the images from image shack everywhere else, i'll put them all in this one post now.

1zy3.jpg

2ez2.jpg

3gy3.jpg

4oo5.jpg

5tm8.jpg

6zk2.jpg

7rx5.jpg

8hb4.jpg

9ct5.jpg

9avf1.jpg

the more i see this thing the more i love it. I know people have made some comments on the head (specifically the face) but i think i love the way it looks even more than the mac+ art for it. I have mine pre-ordered, and while a smidge pricey (i ordered from joel over at BBTS) it'll all be worth it to have this on my shelf. :D

Looks like the knees need to be inverted a bit for the battloid to stand straight... I hope that's just the pose they were going for but with the angle of the back I wouldn't be surprised if it were necessary

Good point. I hope though, that it is not the case, cause Yamato is not known for their posing, and that looks like an alright pose for a photoshoot.

I so hope I can put this baby into a flying kick position on a flexistand. That would be sweet!

Edited by kensei

Hi all,

Actually, technically you or I am right..lol.... In one lineart drawing of the 19 in gerwalk mode, facing the opposite direction then the pic, or to the right, there were vents in the area I am talking about, I just thought that those vents were the forward thrusters....... So I guess it's up in the air, LOL... :ph34r:

Here are some pics of the YF-19 in gerwalk, it does show some kind of vents in that area.

post-2177-1158622767_thumb.gif

Edited by valk1j

Hi all,

HAHA!! I knew I wasn't crazy, now the only things left are:

1. Are these "vents" where the forward thrust comes for gerwalk....?

2. If so, will there be any on the sculpt?

It would be a shame not to have them really, I mean a fine looking bird like this deserves all the detailing that the 1/48's share!........

Or could I be trying to delay the release date, as I don't have the cash for release 1, well if my car sells or my max 1j sells, then I could....

edit: Just jokin about that last part....hehe...

Edited by e_jacob77

Hi all,

Yeah, I once thought that it could be connecting points, but it still leaves the mystery of how the 19 receives forward momentum while in gerwalk...... That is the real question....

LOL, I've seen that lineart pic about a dozen times, and I still have never seen the backpack thrusters till you pointed them out.....Am I gettin old or what......

Neck collar/cover--a step back appearance-wise, but probably 5x easier to deal with transformation-wise. Though I know the SHE version looked good in fighter mode I don't know how easy it was to transform---Graham, your opinion? I know the Yamato was rubber (as you really hard to bend and curve it to swing around 180)---did the SHE have that piece in hard resin, did it work the same way?

Interesting that the head is a bit raised in GERWALK mode in every pic so far--perhaps it's needed for a good transformation?

I get the impression that unlike the SHE and first Yamato, the new one has the neck cover as being the back of the neck in battroid mode, rather than being a separate collar behind the neck. With the different torso transformation, the area behind the neck is quite different, and may not even need a separate piece to fill in the gap in battroid mode.

Neck collar/cover--a step back appearance-wise, but probably 5x easier to deal with transformation-wise. Though I know the SHE version looked good in fighter mode I don't know how easy it was to transform---Graham, your opinion? I know the Yamato was rubber (as you really hard to bend and curve it to swing around 180)---did the SHE have that piece in hard resin, did it work the same way?

Interesting that the head is a bit raised in GERWALK mode in every pic so far--perhaps it's needed for a good transformation?

I get the impression that unlike the SHE and first Yamato, the new one has the neck cover as being the back of the neck in battroid mode, rather than being a separate collar behind the neck. With the different torso transformation, the area behind the neck is quite different, and may not even need a separate piece to fill in the gap in battroid mode.

Thanks for the input, Dave. It's definitely something that bears closer scrutiny when the toy is released.

Do u think it will lock together well in GERWALK? Its the one mode on this (and the 11 and 21 really) thats never felt right to me. part of it is the way the torso sits up higher, it just feels less polished than the 1 and 0. I wonder if there will be pins or something so the torso locks in that position.

It would be pretty cool if they did the magnet gimmick under the wings where the hard points should be to attach extra weapons payload.

I thought about it.. I don't know that it would work though. you would need metal strips in the wings, oriented in the direction you wanted the pylons to face... but they would need to be dense enough for the magnets in the pylons to hold on to.. otherwise they would knock off easily

I thought about it.. I don't know that it would work though. you would need metal strips in the wings, oriented in the direction you wanted the pylons to face... but they would need to be dense enough for the magnets in the pylons to hold on to.. otherwise they would knock off easily

Only one response to that, Earth Magnets. Try pulling those suckers apart. :p

the one thing about this toy that really worries me is that the small tab located near the end of the wing root that connects to the lower leg in fighter mode might break due to stress, since it is very similar to the way the wing connects to the lower leg on the old bandai 1/100 scale model, and since i used to have one i can tell by experience that it seems fragile, unless they use harder plastic material. Graham, do you know if that part can resist easely multiple transformations or will it wear down?

post-2336-1158801313_thumb.jpg

the one thing about this toy that really worries me is that the small tab located near the end of the wing root that connects to the lower leg in fighter mode might break due to stress, since it is very similar to the way the wing connects to the lower leg on the old bandai 1/100 scale model, and since i used to have one i can tell by experience that it seems fragile, unless they use harder plastic material. Graham, do you know if that part can resist easely multiple transformations or will it wear down?

Maybe the entire wing root is made out of metal.

can you have a slice of rare earth magnet thin enough to hide in the wing?

I don't see why not since "rare earth magnets" are used in everything from iPods to harddrives to speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Neodymi...ing_spheres.jpg

Three solid steel ball bearings (spheres) easily suspended by miniscule neodymium magnets. The lowest sphere is 3.63cm in diameter (196.1g), and is being held up by a NIB disk magnet 4mm in diameter by 1.5mm thick (0.143g). Such magnets can easily lift thousands of times their own mass.