Macross II

samuraid

Sorry guys- loved the macross segment of robotech....so got interested in the anime that started it all...

Then liked very much: Macross Do You Remember Love...

And then thought that Macross Plus was freaking phenomonal....

Yeehaw!

But then, alas...

encountered the Meltran/ Macross II stuff-

yeesh...

Macross 2 isn't real.

Seriously.

It was creatd without any input from Studio Nue, and has been banished to an alternate reality where the rest of the series(save the original show) don't exist.

Welcome to REAL Macross, BTW.

I thought that Macross II (while existing in a non-canon universe) was based on DYRL and not the TV series.

Could be wrong though.

H

Macross 2 isn't real.

Seriously.

It was creatd without any input from Studio Nue, and has been banished to an alternate reality where the rest of the series(save the original show) don't exist.

I thought that Macross II (while existing in a non-canon universe) was based on DYRL and not the TV series.

Could be wrong though.

H

Who knows? Either way has as much relevance.

For it's time (early nineties) Macross II was pretty decent. Tons of action but it didn't bring anything new to the table. The soundtrack has a couple of catchy tunes (Hush of A Million Years and Deja Vu are two of my favs), very memorable mecha (VF-22S, Metal Siren, and Macross Cannons), and decent characters. :ph34r:

For it's time (early nineties) Macross II was pretty decent. Tons of action but it didn't bring anything new to the table. The soundtrack has a couple of catchy tunes (Hush of A Million Years and Deja Vu are two of my favs), very memorable mecha (VF-22S, Metal Siren, and Macross Cannons), and decent characters. :ph34r:

True, but to someone who doesn't realize its an alternate universe (like me the first time I saw it). Its hard to understand and piece together. Now that I understand that its not in the normal storyline I could probably watch it again without going "WTF?!?" and turning it off.

True, but to someone who doesn't realize its an alternate universe (like me the first time I saw it). Its hard to understand and piece together. Now that I understand that its not in the normal storyline I could probably watch it again without going "WTF?!?" and turning it off.

I knew that and I still turned it off. Just because it has a Macross tag on it doesn't make it watchable, unfortunately.

Macross II is an okay story. In the early 90's I was hooked and had out of state relatives ship episodes UPS to me. The biggest let down for me was the quality of the animation in the last two episodes. Look at episodes 3 & 4 and compare them to 5 & 6. Once the animation quality goes you have to focus more on the story which I discovered at the time was just 'okay'.

When I introduce people to Macross, first I show them SDF, then DYRL, then 2012 Flash Back, then Plus, then I show them the first 3 episodes of MZero... Then I say "Thats it!"

This thread isn't about M7, it's about MII.

I rather enjoyed MII ( and while I'm usually pretty lenient on dubs, the subtitles make it SO much more enjoyable to watch... trust me on this one) Mecha were more or less excellent (the Valkyries and Destroids were both cool... and the Macross cannons rock!). I will admit that the animation of the later episodes leaves a LOT to be desired when compared to the first episodes. I also thought that the first time the Macross fired it's cannon was the best representation ever (I am not at all above watching that part over and over again)

Seriously though... if you've only ever seen the dubbed version (like so many have), I HIGHLY reccomend you go out and find the subtitled version... you may actually find yourself enjoying it.

Hey, what happened to the MW Skin?

Oh yeah, anyways, I like Macross II. Maybe even more than DYRL :ph34r: (which it's a sequel to). Just remember the whole alternate universe bit is a gigantic retcon (even moreso than DYRL's "move in a movie" bit). Objectively, it COULD still happen in the offiical Macross universe. :)

Yeah get used to the M7 hate from certain people. It was nice to hear pieces of M II music in M7, I thought.

Oh yeah, wanted to add that the valkyrie designs are great! VF-2SS is nice and all but I like the Metal Siren. It's what Big West's answer to Gundam could have/should have been. Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 Metal Siren please. :) Fett's armor is nice, too.

:unsure:

waits for Oihan...

Lol! So I'm the only one that loves Macross II.... <_< Ah well... I've said it before...and I'll say it again: Macross II 0wnz!

And Keith, so you know...when I first saw Macross II I disliked it. At the time I hadn't seen anything else Macross besides the Macross Saga. Well...the more I watched it, the more I started to love it. It just grows on ya. ^_^ Glad to hear that your hate for it isn't as passionate as it used to be. :p

Edited by Oihan

Macross 2 isn't real.

Seriously.

Think Highlander II: The Quickening .