Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

This hit my inbox today. They didn't mention the surcharge that Japan Post is putting on EMS shipments right now.... <_<

image.thumb.png.87c66def313a4afd279d7ed6e0be270e.png

Even with the surcharge, I'm curious to know if EMS is still cheaper than DHL and FedEx at places like HLJ, which has pretty decent rates with both private couriers.

I'm curious as to how much it costs and how long it takes. If it's handed over to USPS here in the States it could still be quite the ordeal. They're still an absolute mess.

27 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm curious as to how much it costs and how long it takes. If it's handed over to USPS here in the States it could still be quite the ordeal. They're still an absolute mess.

I've just added the VE-1 to cart to take a look at the new HLJ rate. to the USA by EMS

Surface ParcelTrackableaverages 1-3 months. Please see here for details before selecting¥2,910 JPY
Express Mail Service (EMS)Trackableaverages 2-9 business days *may take longer due to COVID19¥4,570 JPY
DHL ExpressTrackableaverages 1-3 business days *may take longer due to COVID19¥4,990 JPY
FedEx PriorityTrackableaverages 2-5 business days *may take longer due to COVID19¥5,590 JPY

image.thumb.png.36c54b31658a33d76c232b91e65eb8e8.png

I have been reluctantly using DHL due to current shipping restrictions to Canada, and every time I am hit with their $20 processing plus duties which adds up quick...Lucky you south of the border, I hope Japan Post resumes EMS to Canada soon too.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Just Y420/US$4 difference? Hmmm. It looks like DHL is the new EMS from now on(?). ;)

That's what I was thinking when I saw the very small price difference. Works out to roughly $1 per day that you don't have to wait for your item to show up. DHL uses USPS for the last mile of delivery in my area, so the endpoint is the same for me (mailbox or picking up item at post office).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah- shipped some stuff with From Japan and it cheapest at the time was FedEx International Priority. DHL was still cheaper than EMS, but I think a lot of factors vary to make things cheaper at any one time from each vendor- size of package, weight of package, vendor agreement with shipper, etc.

Yep, weight/volume play into things a lot.

My order with HLJ was primarily a pair of Sv-262 Mirage kits.  DHL was the cheapest base price for those, and then I was able to pick a pile of smaller items to add to that box without the shipping charge going up any.  That's basically the way I've been shipping for a while now at HLJ; start with the biggest item, and then add smaller ones until the shipping goes up to know you've got the most bang for your buck.

38 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

My order with HLJ was primarily a pair of Sv-262 Mirage kits.  DHL was the cheapest base price for those, and then I was able to pick a pile of smaller items to add to that box without the shipping charge going up any.  That's basically the way I've been shipping for a while now at HLJ; start with the biggest item, and then add smaller ones until the shipping goes up to know you've got the most bang for your buck.

More or less what I do.

I throw everything in the box, and start taking things out to see when I hit a shipping breakpoint.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

You mean you don't construct Excel books listing every combination of items and the available shipping costs thereof, then use that data to calculate every possible shipping arrangement in order to get the least expensive and/or fastest total shipping cost?

Yeah, me neither, hahah...

44 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

You mean you don't construct Excel books listing every combination of items and the available shipping costs thereof, then use that data to calculate every possible shipping arrangement in order to get the least expensive and/or fastest total shipping cost?

Yeah, me neither, hahah...

Hah.. no Excel, but I do shuffle about item combinations a great deal.  I just know DHL ships by volume, so I start with the biggest box to see how much I can fit along with it. ^_^ 

Has anyone shipped SAL from Japan to the USA?  I had a Jungle order and they gave me that option so I chose it to catch a break on the shipping costs.  I wasn't in a super hurry to get it so taking a little longer was fine with me.  Does anyone know the current approximate time it takes with that option?

You guys in the States are getting a real break from DHL shipping as of right now as your neighbors up North still have to contend with DHL. Hopefully that EMS resumes very soon.  

31 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

Has anyone shipped SAL from Japan to the USA?  I had a Jungle order and they gave me that option so I chose it to catch a break on the shipping costs.  I wasn't in a super hurry to get it so taking a little longer was fine with me.  Does anyone know the current approximate time it takes with that option?

SAL by boat takes about 2-3 months .. .. but probably around 4 months now

18 minutes ago, borgified said:

You guys in the States are getting a real break from DHL shipping as of right now as your neighbors up North still have to contend with DHL. Hopefully that EMS resumes very soon.  

Might depend on what you're shipping, but as far as HLJ is concerned, DHL is still a chunk cheaper than EMS for me.  I haven't had any orders from anywhere else to compare rates with though, so it might vary by shop.

Just now, F360 said:

Boat shipping for my final NY order finally arrived last week, and took almost exactly three months.  Unless the tracking data was lying, the reason that takes so long is that they actually take the long way around the planet, rather than just crossing the Pacific.  My package was processed through customs in New Jersey.

Edited by Chronocidal

Just now, F360 said:

That's what I figured was going to happen.  It's been about a month.  I expected at least 2 months, possibly 3.  What's another month LOL, it'll get here eventually.

22 minutes ago, borgified said:

well. USA didn't resume EMS until just recently..  but Canada still had EMS option most of the Pandemics season. .   

EMS was available to Canada until Japan Post switched it around sometime last year to the best of my knowledge @F360. I think it was between the time between the DX 1s DYRL 1s Hikaru and the DX 1s TV Roy is when things changed.  

Had a package just under 7KG sent out last week by EMS. Had a surcharge of ¥4800 :wacko: that brought the total cost to ¥20,100. Still cheaper than DHL but would have been much better without that surcharge. It was also slower than before, shipped on June 2nd and arrived on the 10th. 

3 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

2 hours ago, F360 said:

I thought SAL actually stood for Surface Air Lifted, meaning it will go by Air between countries. AFAIK, it isn’t available as an option to the States yet but when it was, it generally took a couple weeks for me. Ferry takes 2-3 months. 

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

I thought SAL actually stood for Surface Air Lifted, meaning it will go by Air between countries. AFAIK, it isn’t available as an option to the States yet but when it was, it generally took a couple weeks for me. Ferry takes 2-3 months. 

I guess I don't know which way it will come.  I imagine they wouldn't have let me choose it as an option if it wasn't available.  I'm assuming it will come by boat, in which case the 2=3 months is probably correct.  Maybe a little longer because of Covid

1 minute ago, Special Sauce said:

I guess I don't know which way it will come.  I imagine they wouldn't have let me choose it as an option if it wasn't available.  I'm assuming it will come by boat, in which case the 2=3 months is probably correct.  Maybe a little longer because of Covid

I usually go with ferry before COVID and since. Before, it usually took 1-2 months. Since, it has taken right around 3 months.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I usually go with ferry before COVID and since. Before, it usually took 1-2 months. Since, it has taken right around 3 months.

Cool.  I'm about a month in so that isn't too bad.  

2 hours ago, borgified said:

EMS was available to Canada until Japan Post switched it around sometime last year to the best of my knowledge @F360. I think it was between the time between the DX 1s DYRL 1s Hikaru and the DX 1s TV Roy is when things changed.  

I can understand why EMS is more important in Canada than USA.. since with EMS you can kinda sneak pass customs :ph34r:

It's a 50/50 chance that any shipment will get scoped by CBSA and the you have to pay a Import Tax on it. Don't remember if I had to pay a tax on the DX 1s DYRL Hikaru, however I did on the DX YF-19 Full Set and it set me back $87 CND if I remember correctly as I used EMS for those two.