Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Why don't people just look at this one?

http://macross2.net/m3/macrosszero/variant-vf-0a-shin.htm

Because despite Mr. March's great work he isn't the absolute production authority on the matter. He recolors those pictures themselves and unless he has reference material that shows the fins as blue he could have used the cover of the Hasegawa kit, etc... which is done gray.

I think the VF-0 sold well for Yamato as I don't recall them being heavily discounted at all. The only one that failed was the Nora and CF SV-51 which were heavily discounted.

Grahamn mentioned in a post a few years ago that yamato was most likely not going to revisit the Zero line because they viewed it as a a failure. This is back when Grahamn had contacts within yamato.

Because despite Mr. March's great work he isn't the absolute production authority on the matter. He recolors those pictures themselves and unless he has reference material that shows the fins as blue he could have used the cover of the Hasegawa kit, etc... which is done gray.

What about images from Macross Chronicle?

Grahamn mentioned in a post a few years ago that yamato was most likely not going to revisit the Zero line because they viewed it as a a failure. This is back when Grahamn had contacts within yamato.

How brave of Yamato to blame the Zero franchise when majority of the 0 release back then were exploding.

Here we go again :lol:, I'm waiting until we know these are in fact the final production colors. So far I'm liking what I see, I think a good blue grey shade might satisfy the majority. We see it in both shades in the anime so why not do it In between both colors..

Edited by Loop

Guest davidwhangchoi

everyone argue till it turns blue...

now, i blame everyone for defending the 0d colors, it's all your fault.

then i'm going to blame my monitor for not having correct color calibration, that's really the reason why it turned out blue not grey.

Wow, I'd forgotten just how bad the durability of those toys was... this thread definitely brings back memories. I'm glad Arcadia chose to revisit the series. While the toys are astronomically priced now there's no question they're better than the first go around, strange color choices and all. Unfortunately given the prices... I find myself gravitating back to more recent Bandai releases much more often... maybe because the sky high price has me afraid to touch my Arcadia stuff.

For some reasons, I find the new light grey with blue color accent likeable. Though I wish they made the blue a little darker and desaturated. But all in all, I'm glad that I preordered this one even though it's not part of my list. It's the announcement of the VF-0S Reactive Armor that made me preorder this one for the Ghost Booster. ^_^

Wow, I'd forgotten just how bad the durability of those toys was... this thread definitely brings back memories. I'm glad Arcadia chose to revisit the series. While the toys are astronomically priced now there's no question they're better than the first go around, strange color choices and all. Unfortunately given the prices... I find myself gravitating back to more recent Bandai releases much more often... maybe because the sky high price has me afraid to touch my Arcadia stuff.

this + 1. I'm exactly the same way.

Guest davidwhangchoi

ok, i figured out the colors in the anime why the fins and back leg stripes are sometimes grey and sometimes blue.

The fins match the color of the sky in each specific scene. so if the sky is grey the fins will match it. if the sky is blue the fins will match it.

i caught the very end of episode 5 and the fins are blue when Shin's 0A is leaving behind a feather trail before leaving for the skies right before the ending credits. if you watch, the skies are clear from weather and a rich blue.

it's extremely possible that Arcadia got Shin's vf-0A colors correct. especially when the skies are clear.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

ok, i figured out the colors in the anime why the fins and back leg stripes are sometimes grey and sometimes blue.

The fins match the color of the sky in each specific scene. so if the sky is grey the fins will match it. if the sky is blue the fins will match it.

i caught the very end of episode 5 and the fins are blue when Shin's 0A is leaving behind a feather trail before leaving for the skies right before the ending credits. if you watch, the skies are clear from weather and a rich blue.

it's extremely possible that Arcadia got Shin's vf-0A colors correct. especially when the skies are clear.

oh, so now the color depends on the weather? :p

i just noticed the back of the backpack has blue as well

FIGURE-011500_12.jpg

I don't mind that little blue detail at all actually! If it even remains with the final release version. If not them im not particularly fussed.. ^_^

When is this bird supposed to drop?

I assume you are referring to its intended release yes? End of this month apparently..

Interesting observation. Either that or there was an animation error and the fins are opaque and are taking on whatever color is in the background. lol

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I'm just not seeing it in the scene you're describing. Here's Shin right after coming out of the water. This is the only part where you can get a decent view of the fin after he has come back up.

Other than the blue light surrounding the valk, the fin itself is not very blue. Instead of relying on my eyes in case they are mistaken, I opened in GIMP and used the color picker to get the RGB values on a part of the fin that wasn't covered by the blue light. I got 32 Red, 11 Green, 16 Blue.

Shin_vf-0a_rising1.png

Here's just before all those feathers are released. It's about as close to being able to see it clearly as you're going to get from this angle. It has a golden color reflecting off of it, so not blue.

Shin_vf-0a_rising2.png

And finally after the feathers stop obscuring the valk enough to see much of it again. Can't really see the fins at this point:

Shin_vf-0a_rising3.png

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I'm just not seeing it in the scene you're describing. Here's Shin right after coming out of the water. This is the only part where you can get a decent view of the fin after he has come back up.

Other than the blue light surrounding the valk, the fin itself is not very blue. Instead of relying on my eyes in case they are mistaken, I opened in GIMP and used the color picker to get the RGB values on a part of the fin that wasn't covered by the blue light. I got 32 Red, 11 Green, 16 Blue.

Shin_vf-0a_rising1.png

Here's just before all those feathers are released. It's about as close to being able to see it clearly as you're going to get from this angle. It has a golden color reflecting off of it, so not blue.

Shin_vf-0a_rising2.png

And finally after the feathers stop obscuring the valk enough to see much of it again. Can't really see the fins at this point:

Shin_vf-0a_rising3.png

wondering if the blu ray is color corrected or a bad clip i'm watching online or it's perhaps just grey. i just remember same thing happened with DYRL. Kaki's colors looked dark blue on the dvd rip then the blu ray remaster changed the color for some meltraedi ships to pink in the final fight scenes and kaki's color to bring the green out more. Even the psx macross dyrl game footage which is included in the blu ray remaster was confused with kaki's colors.

wondering if the blu ray is color corrected or a bad clip i'm watching online or it's perhaps just grey. i just remember same thing happened with DYRL. Kaki's colors looked dark blue on the dvd rip then the blu ray remaster changed the color for some meltraedi ships to pink in the final fight scenes and kaki's color to bring the green out more. Even the psx macross dyrl game footage which is included in the blu ray remaster was confused with kaki's colors.

I believe high compression can cause a noticeable loss of color fidelity.

Is it possible there are production notes that indicate the 0A Shin is flying was technically supposed to be the color of his 0D but since this emergency sprang up he's flying an only partially painted fighter? Or one of the animators decided to put a bit of the color from the 0D on the 0A to signify it's still the same pilot?

This is a pretty confusing situation really. And despite how much people dislike the color of the 0D it was a blue plane and they made it blue. I don 't believe Arcadia just up and went "f.u.c.k. it, just make 0A the stabilizers blue" without some sort of reference telling them it was that color (regardless of whether they actually get the tone of it correct.)

Edited by Mommar

Mommar, I agree on the VF-0D blue comment. It can easily be demonstrated that it should be a dark blue color, now as far as the shade or tone as you said that is another debate.. Ithink in peoples mind they want a light blue color due to the weathering and paint wear.

VF-0D_zpsar9lpnck.png

Edited by Loop

You know, for the ridiculous amount that Arcadia is scalping for the Zero line, they should've just applied weathered coloring on 'em in the first place..

It's better they didn't. Their (well, Yamato's) out of the box weathering never looked good to begin with.

I'd rather they'd have spent that effort applying more tampo printing to it since it's sorely lacking.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

From what I'm getting from a thread I started asking about the tail fin in the official Macross thread Macross Chronicle shows the stabilizers as being "light grey" with a hint of blue. Which I feel is a good description for the main portion of the toys body, but doesn't jive with the toys stabilizer or some of the confusing, more blue, screen shots.