Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Yeah, the sad truth is, just because a product might cost more than a competitor's, doesn't mean that company is making a lot of money on it.

I hope Arcadia's Macross products continue to get produced and I hope the profits eventually justify the tooling and investments that would make customer expectations a reality.

Has MrK ever explained why are the valks coming with almost no tampo now?

At some point someone asked him a question concerning making a lot of different paint schemes for the molds and he said it's better to have the one base and let people modify them as they like. That could account for having limited tampo as well, but he never specifically stated that. That's only my own speculation. Or it was just a way to explain away how many poor selling molds Yamato had and why they weren't going to do that at Arcadia.

Though I did look into having my own tampo stamps created not too long ago and tampo printing is actually a lot more expensive and tricky than people realize.

At some point someone asked him a question concerning making a lot of different paint schemes for the molds and he said it's better to have the one base and let people modify them as they like. That could account for having limited tampo as well, but he never specifically stated that. That's only my own speculation. Or it was just a way to explain away how many poor selling molds Yamato had and why they weren't going to do that at Arcadia.

Though I did look into having my own tampo stamps created not too long ago and tampo printing is actually a lot more expensive and tricky than people realize.

on that last part...yup. its quite tricky to get it right. i once worked at a place that made medical devices where we had to tampo logos on them. that machine was tricky to get running just right. every setup took a long while and wasted several parts and we constantly had to check parts to make sure the tampo was still working right.

Yeah, the sad truth is, just because a product might cost more than a competitor's, doesn't mean that company is making a lot of money on it.

I hope Arcadia's Macross products continue to get produced and I hope the profits eventually justify the tooling and investments that would make customer expectations a reality.

Thank you for the added perspective mickyg and Mommar.

Yeah. It's worth it to take a step back from the criticism and think about things logically. The new 0S is really looking good. And there's something about the VF-0 design that draws me in–even moreso than the VF-1. I think I'll be picking up all three.

I'd get Shin's 0A if i could afford it, i really would. I love the Zeros, and this is the hero characters plane! But at close to $400, I just can't do it. I'll get the 0S no matter what, and be happy. I think it looks wicked as hell!

But if this is the end for Arcadia i won't be amazingly sad, because the price is getting silly. I just got the Bandai VF-18Adv a few weeks back. It cost $370 or soemthing. And i just paid for the 29 Percival which was $200 ish. That means i could almost buy 2 fighters for the cost of 1 Arcadia. And those are planes i have already anyway!

Sadly I'm there. I'm riced out, and it bums me out but.... that's the ball game.

I want to get a VF-0S and VF-0D, but Bandai's offerings just fit in my budget better and they're making a lot of things I like. Sure I'd love to have an Arcadia YF-19 to go along with my Bandai and Yamato 19's, but it's not that big a deal for me. The Big things Arcadia is making that I want are the VF-1J GBP set, the VF-0D, VF-0S and armor, and the VF-0A (eventually). I'd also really want an SV-51 if they do one, and a Max VF-1A. If they released an updated VF-22S in Max and Milia I'd want those too, but Bandai has all of those frontier valks that I love so much, and their price point is so much better.

I'd hate to see Arcadia go out of business, and they have a market, it's just really small, so they need to charge more to make that profit. That's really their own fault though, as they priced themselves into that market to begin with. Still I hope they're turning a profit and can keep the doors open.

I picked up my VF-19 Advance for about $266 shipped NIB, which is really good considering some of the prices I've seen for it. That put me into a Y/VF-19 toy for less than half of what I've seen Arcadias go for (up to $900) with much of the same advantages over the original Yamato 1/60.

I just got the Bandai VF-18Adv a few weeks back. It cost $370 or soemthing.

Wow, I'm sorry you had to pay that much for it. I don't think I'd have paid that much, but I guess it was worth that to you. Great toy, I've not had mine even 24 hours and it's already my favorite.

Wait...why are we talking about the "end of Arcadia"? Did I miss something?

I haven't heard anything about Arcadia going anywhere. :o I think some people are moving to more affordable sources. Both Bandai and Arcadia make good products IMO, so I think everyone can be happy whatever they choose. ;)

I think Jenius is pretty much on mark with that, unless they lost the license somehow.. I hope they are not afraid to make it, Mr.K said in the past that he wanted to revisit the SV-51's so it looks like it could happen since they are on the Mac Zero toys atm.

Edited by Loop

I think Jenius is pretty much on mark with that, unless they lost the license somehow.. I hope they are not afraid to make it, Mr.K said in the past that he wanted to revisit the SV-51's so it looks like it could happen since they are on the Mac Zero toys atm.

I think the grasp on that Zero license is pretty solid... mostly because Bandai has never seemed to have interest in it.

I'd get Shin's 0A if i could afford it, i really would. I love the Zeros, and this is the hero characters plane! But at close to $400, I just can't do it. I'll get the 0S no matter what, and be happy. I think it looks wicked as hell!

Same here as well. I had the VF-0A on order but cancelled it. Tanking AUD and Arcadia pricing, just can't justify getting it. Just have to be content with Yamato VF-0.

Also have recently decided to give up collecting for good. VF-27 will be my last stuff coming in.

Same here as well. I had the VF-0A on order but cancelled it. Tanking AUD and Arcadia pricing, just can't justify getting it. Just have to be content with Yamato VF-0.

Also have recently decided to give up collecting for good. VF-27 will be my last stuff coming in.

The weak aussie dollar certainly doesn't help and yes they are becoming very expensive things to collect! I have gone through and made adjustments to my finances in order to be able to maintain my hobby.

Sorry to hear you have decided to hit the brakes with collecting but I do feel your pain. I have given up a few other things purely to be able to continue with Macross.

Hopefully you can eventually continue even if its only one or two items per year..

Ouch. That reminds me of how things were in the US not too long ago. I wasn't able to buy or collect much of anything (never mind Macross collectibles) from 2009 until 2012. I try to think positively about this stuff, but on most days I agree wholeheartedly with spanner76. The wisest course may be to find one or two favorites and stop there, or walk away like Valk-1S when prices get too expensive. Man, the world economy is still a big worry.

I have to chose month to month, which hobbies to indulge. Thankfully my airsoft hobby is sitting pretty,I've not been able to play so my guns don't need any maintenance, and I don't want any more airsoft guns (I do, but I just don't feel compelled). I only have one real long gun I want and then I'm happy for now. And I don't need a ton right now for my Warhammer 40k habit, just some odds and ends here and there. There really aren't a ton of Macross toys out there I'm really dying to have, so they can wait a bit.

Like spanner said, you just have to massage the old finances a bit and choose what's going to make you happiest for the next month.

Honestly, I really just need a fix for my VF-0A. I've already replaced the arms, which is probably why the hands are wonky, the swing bar clamps need to be replaced, and the shoulders need to be tightened up, and he'd be a right proper toy again.

Ready to take on the world!

From Mr. K's Twitter:

VF-0A.jpg

AWESOME!!! looks like a scene from iRobot! B))

Gahhh! I'd love to be able to buy this many of them! Have a whole friggin squadron of Zero's! :D

Funny thing they don't show the back of the legs anywhere.. overall color looks ok too.

Edited by spanner76

So, it's gonna keep the blue accents in the legs. Not that I don't like it, but Arcadia has taken a lot of liberties with the Zero line colors

OH. HELL. NO. That's the last straw, cancelling my preorder. **** you, Arcadia, **** you for real. If they're going to pull this B.S., they can give up their license right now and give it to someone that actually cares enough to do them right, color and all.

Edited by Kyp Durron

OH. HELL. NO. That's the last straw, cancelling my preorder. **** you, Arcadia, **** you for real. If they're going to pull this B.S., they can give up their license right now and give it to someone that actually cares enough to do them right, color and all.

The grey looks a bit too light, and those ventral fins look a bit blue, but it might just be the lighting that's playing tricks. Don't fly off the handle and do something you'll regret. Let's wait for some pictures with less wonky lighting.

I'm okay with it. This version seems to have its own low-vis look and feel (as others have noted) even with the blue accents. I think it will display well with the 0D.

I will admit to being a little confused with the departure from the gull grey tones of the prior Yamato release, but meh. Arcadia is marching to a different drum.