Value speculation: Will Arcadia devalue 98% of Yamato releases?

Gakken85

So, with the coming release of Arcadia's 1/60 V2 continuation... is there any point in holding on to Yamato's?

Beyond their rarer 1/60 releases that Arcadia might not re-release, most of the common 1/60's should lose value as time passes. Maybe the 30th Anniversary stuff will retain some value, but will new collectors and completionists be drawn to Arcadia for their perks?

Arcadia seems to have a few things going for it over the older Yamato releases:

1. Better packaging. The artwork for the 30th tux valk looks fantastic, vs. the crappy photos on the Yamato boxes. Plus Yamato boxes tend to be giant and had the weird booklet cutout.

2. A flight stand out of the box. Obviously, the Yamato's don't have these, and the Arcadia ones look pretty good.

3. Higher entry price and smaller runs? I could be wrong but the Roy is a made to order deal, yes? Yamato made tons of valks and sold them until they sold out. Their were still stock up for MSRP right when they went "under" at the start of the year.

It seems like Arcadia is really upping the games in terms of collecting, and this should be a good thing for long term value. When somebody asks what release they should buy in a year, will most people say, "the Arcadia release is the best." I am sure that some people may have an emotional attachment to their old "Yammies", or just be too busy to sell their collection and replace it, but is this the state of modern toy collecting now? Always replacing the slightly older version with the newer fancy version to keep the items value?

I don't really collect for value, but it's nice to know you could potentially get your money back in 10 years.

Thoughts?

• We don't know that all Arcadia boxes will have fancy box art. So far we have only seen the packaging for the 30th anniversery VF-1J. Other Arcadia releases may well revert to Yamato style box art. They may just be doing the fancy box art just because it is for the 30th anniversary.
  • So far all Arcadia has announced is the VF-1J 30th Anniversary, VF-1S DYRL Focker , VF-1S DYRL Hikaru and all new YF-19. This tells us that they have the license for DYRL style VF-1 toys and Macross Plus YF-19. We have no idea whether they have the license or plan to obtain the toy licences for other Macross animes/mecha.
  • We have no idea whether they still have the molds for the other Yamato VFs (although it's likely they do IMO).
  • At this stage we have no idea whether we will ever see the VF-0, SV-51, VF-4, VF-11, VF-17, VF-19, VF-22/YF-21 and SDF-1 again.

So damn straight I'm hanging on to my Yammies.

Graham

I think it'll only devalue the ones they release. As for the scalpers their price will remain the same, if not go up. I don't see a drastic reduction in market value either.

I can't really say with much experience about this as I don't collect for the value of things (I devalue all of my valks within a week of getting them :p), but from the perspective of a collector, wouldn't the fact that an original 1st copy made by a company that is now no longer existing (at least under the same name) hold some value? Besides, as far as we can tell with the VF-1S (aside from the extra stand ), there's hardly if any improvements and will likely just have fixes that were already implemented in later releases of the VF-1. I'm not even sure how many people really want that stand. The base looks comparable to the ones that came with the YF-21 and SV-51 which were huge and took up tons of room. I've removed nearly all my SV-51 and YF-21 stands from my display cases because they just needlessly eat up so much space.

That said, it seems common sense to me that the more of something that becomes available to people, the less the individual item is worth in a market because you're satisfying the demand of more people. So if they release more of things that were released before, the value of the originals will drop. I'm not sure how many people actually care if something was made by company A vs company B, if the items are comparable. Even less so if the newer release has improvements. But as Graham says, we don't have a clue what they may or may not have in store for the future. That could be the extent of the VF-1 releases they have planned (not likely). Maybe they go under again before other future planned releases come out (hope not!). What if they go under before the next YF-19 comes out? People would feel rather foolish selling off their v.1's and scrambling to try to reacquire some.

My suggestion to people is don't worry about the value, and just get them because you like the toy and can enjoy it in the present. Just don't start panicking and start selling off your entire Yammie collection in anticipation for all new and improved versions that may or may not come out of Arcadia.

I say that every reissue will cause devalue of the old respective Yammie, Arcadias will seem to include a bit more, like how the 30th version w/option parts of the VF-1's put the price of the first releases to the floor.

I hope Arcadia managed to get a hold of the Macross 7 and VFX license, with those they can released every Macross valk.

If I agreed with you Gakken, I'd expect prices for V2 Roy's to come down.

But they've gone up. I think until Arcadia proves they are here to battle and

Conquer the past, Yamato valks will continue to fetch

Stupid prices IMO.

Then again, if your in this for the value,

You shouldn't be buying toys. So the argument is..

Should I sell them before Arcadia announces a newer version?

Of course the answer is no, because until something has reached a retail

Store, there is no guarantee. I love Arcadia so far, but never put all your eggs

In one basket.... Unless you have steaks.

Cybergundam posted the following Arcadia Q & A on their fb (apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:-

ARCADIA Q&A for Macross Products:

Visitor: ARCADIA is a company which the name changed from YAMATO?
Staff: We are an independent company of YAMATO's Development Department.

Visitor: Are you hold the mold of YAMATO's YF-4, 1/48?
Staff: We bought the new items. We don't have 1/48 and too old items. Also, those molds are cracked!

Visitor: Will you sell the separate parts for VF-1? Therefore, customers can replace its broken parts.
Staff: If lineup increasing, we will review to sell the separate parts.

Based on the above, I guess Yamato's 1/48 stuff would really be the most valuable thing now.

The problem with that logic is that the 1/48s aren't that collectable because most view the 1/60 V2 as an improved release. It's not quite the same but it's like saying the 1/60 V1 toys should start picking up in value because they're out of print. That's obviously not true because better things are in print.

I'd say that things are as they've always been with Yamato and now with Arcadia. Each release will have a window when it's a really good time to sell it... and that window will inevitably close with few exceptions.

Obviously releases like the VF-4, the SDF (By the nature of being huge and not for every collector), and the Low Viz/Virgin Road/Cav ect repaints will hold their value. (Though the great panic prices have dropped for sure). Maybe even the destroids in years to come if Arcadia never releases more, and odds are they won't.

But the VF-19's are all over the place now. You can't give them away.

And honestly the VF-1 V2 Roy and Hikaru 30th's aren't anything special anymore, unless you just like the Yamato asthetic. I don't think they will tank like the V1's or the 1/72's where they sell for 30-50 bucks, but they won't be the most desirable releases.

I don't think the 1/48s will ever be highly sought after.. at least for Savvy collectors. I think people who just come into the Hobby might over spend on one not knowing what they are, but I think they are destined to be a footnote.

Plus, who is to say that Arcadia isn't being very, very cautious and keeping every run low? In that case, their value will automatically be higher as fewer people will have them. They will be premium releases which will be more sought after.

I'm very interested to see the packaging for the Roy release, that's for sure.

But things are already changing fast. People said Arcadia would only do 2 releases a year.. they are already up to 4 and it's only been 6 months. Personally, I think they will release everything they can make money on. I don't think any company is clamoring to buy up and produce molds for niche valks as it's a small market and risky.

Also, there is the chance that Arcadia might abandon the line if the YF-19 flops. I think they are only releasing the Roy/Hikaru's to generate cash flow for that release, as it's relatively simple to do so. Or things like fast packs which require very little R&D.

Anyway, It will be an interesting year in 2014! haha

Edited by Gakken85

The 1/48ths might never be a re-release candidate for Arcadia. The 1/60th VF-1 versions are far better but with that said I'm still gonna hang on to my 1/48 squadron. Here's hoping that they reissue the SDF1 and perhaps completing the line of destroids.

Copy that one. I don't see myself ever buying a '48 scale of any 'Valk again, but I could never part with cool pieces like my '48 Low Viz...

I have every ver 2 VF-1 Yamato release, except for Max and Millia VF-1J's, Max weathered VF-1S,Hikaru's weathered VF-1S and VF-1J. Some of them I have duplicates.

I'll keep all of them. The VT-1 will become very rare if Arcadia doesn't re release it.

Hi guys.

I do think that Arcadia will devaluate the prices of the Yamato valks too... but, I do think is that it´s going to do it in a very possitive way.

I´m not saying that you have to go and sell your v.2 1/60 Roy for $50, but that YOU WON´T FEEL FORCED TO PAY $450 for the same valk.

In that I believe it´s a great thing that Yamatos go down in price. They´ll sell maybe at the same prices that Arcadia, more or less, but the almost criminal overprice that we were experiencing in the last few months are going to dissapear for good.

Of course VE-1, VT-1, VF-4, SDF-1 are going to retain its value, but now you could OPT to buy it or not... or just wait for Arcadia. If they don´t release it, ok. If they do, and you´ve paid a car´s worth of money for a Virgin Road, there you go....

Please excuse my quite bad english, hoping that you could understand "the idea" behind the post.

:)

pd. And my 1/48 v2 Hikaru DYRL is the best valk ever.... ;)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Cybergundam posted the following Arcadia Q & A on their fb (apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:-

ARCADIA Q&A for Macross Products:

Visitor: ARCADIA is a company which the name changed from YAMATO?

Staff: We are an independent company of YAMATO's Development Department.

Visitor: Are you hold the mold of YAMATO's YF-4, 1/48?

Staff: We bought the new items. We don't have 1/48 and too old items. Also, those molds are cracked!

Visitor: Will you sell the separate parts for VF-1? Therefore, customers can replace its broken parts.

Staff: If lineup increasing, we will review to sell the separate parts.

Based on the above, I guess Yamato's 1/48 stuff would really be the most valuable thing now.

good info! thanks for passing it on.

the vf-1 1/60 v.2 yamatos will not degrade by much. it's clear that even after the 1/60 vf-1s dyrl roy option part was released, vf-1s roy 1st run decreased slightly in value but never plummeted... No v.2 valk has ever dropped beyond the HLJ clearance discounts for kaki which i consider normal pricing. if anything, we may see those low prices again for a few valks... i don't think this can be compared to v.1 valks bc the v.2 valks are the same design. (minor items such as option parts and crotch update and stand can't be compared to a full redesign.)

edit: forgot to mention water slide decals!!

i will go on a limb and guarantee the only model plummeting is the yf-19 v.2 bc of the coming redesign. once we get our hands on the v.3, we won't be going back ever. And those that do will be the few minority who may still collect 1.60 v.1's. but for the majority of us we will be seeking v.3 19's which will make the prices of the v.2 plummet due the the decrease of demand.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I love how Arcadia is so vague saying so little and so much at the same time.

I like how they say "they got the new items", considering they are working on Macross Plus, I assume the old Macross Plus stuff was not acquired, so an improved YF-21 and VF-11B would be a possibility in the future.

By them not getting the old 1/48 cause they were broken could mean two things, 1. the line is dead, 2. the possibility of a very expensive exclusive v2 1/48 line.

Value speculation: Will Arcadia devalue 98% of Yamato releases?

i for one sure hope so; :p then i might actually be able to actually afford to begin catching up on things... :p

Edited by Shaorin

interesting info on the 1/48....assuming they meant they did not acquire the 1/48 because they were "cracked" (unusable) and not due to "lack of potential sales"......or did they mean they just did not buy any mold that happened to be unusable....anyone have the original Japanese link?

I doubt Aracdia would go back to 1/48 VF or even a V2 one-off in that scale......sooner I would think that Bandai may take another look at a DX version of their much maligned recent 1/72 VF in a new DX'd 1/48 version...since apparently Arcadia has the 1/60 scale locked up

Collecting has a dual enjoyment.

1. Enjoying the item regardless of price paid and current value.

2. Enjoying getting that item for the lowest price possible, and watching it increase in value.

Like playing basketball. I enjoy it for the exercise and fun no matter the outcome. Even if I lose every game I still like it and will keep at it. Then there's also the competition aspect, when winning is better than losing...

Edited by DarrinG

I am done with buying VF-1's of any type. Unless the next one will transform by itself. Will get the YF19, YF29 (Isamu ver.) and the YF-25 CF. than I am done. I love my 1/48s, 60s and 72 (Elint). So after i get the three I have mentioned. I will sit back and stare in amazement at my collection.

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

I think it may devalue the ones that Arcadia re-releases. However, as of now, Arcadia has yet to release anything, so prices haven't shifted too much. However, logically, if you are looking to buy a VF-1S Roy, just off the top, would you spend $150 for the 30 anniversary Yamato, or the new Arcadia that also has a stand. If Arcadia gets more involved in Macross releases, some can take their chances selling off older valks in chances that Arcadia will make it, but I think the idea will be that once it's announced, you might have waited too long already.

I will say this...I am glad I sold off my YF-19 ealy enough. I doubt I'd get what I got for it if I tried to sell it now.